App to the rescue!

I wanted to stop by and relate a story from this weekend. Decided to go caching. Had my PQ loaded to my trusty 60csx and saved it to offline lists on the app. Well I should have checked the GPSr before I left the house... So I get to the park and notice the 60 has gone haywire, and won't see any birds. this happens once and awhile, and I know what to do. I was bummed, but then thought I would use the app on my Google Pixel. I had really only used the app for LPCs or for urban caching. Never in the woods, or for multis or puzzle caches. Well I am happy to report that it worked without a hitch. found 7 caches, which is a normal outing for me. Sure it worked differently than my trusty 60. But it still worked. Reminded me of the days when I had the old Maggy Sport Trac Map. I would get close and then use the force. I felt like it was a little slow under the trees, I am sure that is a result of the Pixels receiver, it's no quad helix! But I still found all 7 that I was after.

So thanks guys for having another method of caching.

TFTC :)

I wish I had similar news. I went caching yesterday and my google pixel was so far off and random I thought I was standing next to a giant magnet. I rebooted and it was much better. That said, it was awful. It got me close but when switching to compass and trying to find the cache it was basically giving me random directions and footage. My iPhone was actually pretty accurate. I wonder if it is the Pixel itself or Google Fi service. I am suspecting the service.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:29 AM, triturtle said:

I wish I had similar news. I went caching yesterday and my google pixel was so far off and random I thought I was standing next to a giant magnet. I rebooted and it was much better. That said, it was awful. It got me close but when switching to compass and trying to find the cache it was basically giving me random directions and footage. My iPhone was actually pretty accurate. I wonder if it is the Pixel itself or Google Fi service. I am suspecting the service.

Hmmm, I do all my caching with a Google Pixel, as does my husband.  I don't use the compass very often becasue it seems to be less accurate than watching the coordinates and using the satellite view.  There are times when both our phones are giving different distances and directions and we are standing right next to each other.  For the most part though, the PIxel seems to be a very adequate device to use for geocaching.

Rebooting, or sometimes just closing and restarting the app, does seem to solve some of the "randomness" and weird results.  I've never cached with a "real" GPS device, on ly the phone app.  (Just thought I'd mention that to put my comments into context...).