Big caching days

Ok, bit of a question, I'm sure someone will be able to enlighten me. I'm sure it's been asked before as well.

Bored as I am in a hotel room, natural inquisitive nature gets the better of me and I start clicking on fellow cachers profiles and looking at their stats.

So I find this one guy, who'll remain nameless, but has a LOT of caches logged. His best day caching, is over 1000? How is this even physically possible?

My best day at the moment is 27, which I hope to improve on tomorrow. I know it's possible to collect 50 or maybe a 100 in a day, but seriously a 1000? Has he himself actually gone and signed all those logs? If not then what's the point?

Exactly. Probably one of the most typical examples.

Her reply in the comments to that blog entry:

We had a fast driver and we were on a section of the "highway" where the caches were quickly spotted. I literally jumped out of the van (the sliding door stayed open the whole time) and ran as fast I could to each cache and ran back. We used the method where you swap out the container and while we drove from cache to cache, someone stamped our group stamp in the log...the freshly stamped cache would be swapped out at the next cache. We brought 50 film canisters to help with maintaining caches along the way. This is a very typical method on the ET Highway. It's not my preferred method of geocaching, but the whole experience was pretty amazing. Honestly, it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Don't see the fun in it? Don't get me wrong, there's half a plan in my head for a driving holiday across the US, obviously to cache and then maybe see some sights. But...

I got a lot of satisfaction doing the 3 peaks over four days, only managed about 6 caches during those four days?

Maybe I'll just have to accept that I'll never reach six figures on caching stats, but know that each one I find is worth more than a number on a power trail that has more than half my current finds on it!

Don't see the fun in it? Don't get me wrong, there's half a plan in my head for a driving holiday across the US, obviously to cache and then maybe see some sights. But...

I got a lot of satisfaction doing the 3 peaks over four days, only managed about 6 caches during those four days?

Maybe I'll just have to accept that I'll never reach six figures on caching stats, but know that each one I find is worth more than a number on a power trail that has more than half my current finds on it!

What I don't like is the bragging, especially without revealing how they got those high PT numbers--throwdowns, 3-card monte, leap frogging--all those techniques that stretch the meaning of a "find" and overtly encourage and challenge others to do the same. It's especially a problem when the PT-style play infiltrates all other caches. Especially hides that deserve better--overall good quality cache, not placed for numbers, gets treated with cut n paste numbers-style caches because the finders were way too busy racing through 100s of caches that day to beat their last cache record.