Can't download to my Garmin eTrex10

Yes, it affects Magellan users too. The reason the "Send to GPS" function no longer works is that it uses the communicator plugins provided by the GPS manufacturers. These plugins were built on an old platform called NPAPI which is not very secure. None of the GPS manufacturers have expressed interest in developing new plugins based on modern, more secure platforms. So, the "Send to GPS" feature we all loved and hated is doomed to a slow death as the developers of web browsers stop supporting the platform.

As a Premium Member, you really should get in the habit of using Pocket Queries to bulk load caches. It's so much easier than one-at-a-time, no matter what method you use to get them to your GPS.

I've just read this thread with interest, as I aquired a Garmin etrex 10, only this morning.

I have created a list, filled it with caches, (just one, as it happens, it's only 4 miles away), to test everything.

Everything is OK, until I reach the bit that replaces the "Send to GPS" button, and I understand that it is now, "Send to Garmin" - but where is the instruction?

I've read the previous posters' statement about using pocket queries for bulk caches, but what do you do for just one cache, for test purposes?

John

Edited by bmwman
changed "it it" to "it is"

From your Dashboard select Your Lists (it's down the left side).  You will then get a listing of your lists.  To the right of each list is a circle with three dots in it, select the one next to the list you want to download. It will give you a drop down.  With your Garmin connected, select Send to Garmin.  Note you must be in the new page formats to find this.

Edited by icezebra11

Thanks for that, it seemed that the Garmin Express that I had downloaded and installed, had not fully installed; only about two thirds of it.

Now installed, but when I disconnect the Garmin, after a download of the cache, there is nothing in the "Geocache" section; it just asks me to go to garmin.com/geocahes.

The instrument is working in other respects - it knows where it is, and the date/time etc.

Getting fed up and tired now, been up since very early this morning.

I think I'll ditch it for now, and try another day, I usually use my Ipad mini, so I can carry on with that for now.

Got it!

It's now loaded the cache, and as proof of its success, "Garmin Express" comes up with the message, "Download failed" - whoever designed it quite obviously had a cunning plan.

I always know when my Ipad mini is close to the target, it get to 11 feet to go, then the arrow changes by 180 degrees and the distance becomes 45 feet, perhaps the same software designer?

See what tomorrow brings when I throw the Garmin at the real thing at Trentham Gardens!

John