Windows application for offline mapping of geocaches

Basically looking for a solution for caching when traveling. Something for a navigator sitting in the passenger seat to use, to see what caches are around on a nice big screen.

Have previously used an app on an iPad to which we could download pocket queries and then view them on an offline map while driving, but I don't have an iPad.

Any suggestions?

Buy an iPad or use another unit (Android tablet, PC Laptop, Large Garmin Nüvi on the dashboard, etc.).

Personally I use a Garmin Montana on the car's dashboard. Nice to navigate with and you'll might have all caches on board.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Buy an iPad or use another unit (Android tablet, PC Laptop, Large Garmin Nüvi on the dashboard, etc.).

Personally I use a Garmin Montana on the car's dashboard. Nice to navigate with and you'll might have all caches on board.

Hans

Yeah I have a laptop, which is what I want to use - hence my question if there is a Windows app that will show caches (downloaded in a PQ) on an offline map.

Edit to add: I downloaded GCExplorer but despite it mentioning offline use, it's next to useless as it appears all of the caches have to be added to an offline list one by one, and the offline list functionality is just that, a list. Not useful at all.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

Hans

Yeah I have a laptop, which is what I want to use - hence my question if there is a Windows app that will show caches (downloaded in a PQ) on an offline map.

Edit to add: I downloaded GCExplorer but despite it mentioning offline use, it's next to useless as it appears all of the caches have to be added to an offline list one by one, and the offline list functionality is just that, a list. Not useful at all.

I've seen some pretty inexpensive Android based tablets out there. Most have a built in GPS and can run one of the many geocaching apps available for the Android. Most have bluetooth as well so using an external GPS puck is an option. We upgraded our cellular plan awhile back and the carrier gave use two Android tablets as part of the plan. They both have cellular/data on them as well. If you can't get a tablet with cellular data, using one of the several apps that will allow you to download "lists" or PQs and mapping data would work well while traveling.

As a passenger in a car, I'd probably find most laptops to be a bit cumbersome and the battery would drain on a long drive. With a tablet, one can just plug in the USB charging cable into the car and the battery won't drain. When it come time to stop, get out of the car and look for a cache, grab a smartphone or handheld gps and go find it.

ETA: Garmin has a windows application called nRoute that uses Maps one would load into Basecamp/Mapsource with a Garmin GPS connected to a laptop with a USB cable. The application will do routing and show all the waypoints you have loaded on your GPS. http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/nroute/nroute.html

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I know DeLorme's mapping mapping programs used to be able to show the results of PGA on a map and had gps dongel that came packaged with the software in some configurations. I don't know if inexpensive aps hsve eliminated the market for these. I now load my target caches on my nuvi.

I use a garmin 500 nuvi. It's great for navigating your car to caches as you can add a gpx file in the same way done for handhelds. You see all the old style icons traditional.muti and the rest. Unfortunately Garmin refuses to manufacture them anymore. A big mistake on their part.

Edited by rustynails.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

If it helps to add context - the laptop I have, which is very new, folds over into tablet form and has a touch screen, which is really nice. And has anywhere up to about 8 hours battery life in one charge.

I came across GCExplorer after some Google searches and it's a really nice looking app, if only it allowed the map screen to be used along with downloaded PQs while offline. I need to be offline because I'm generally traveling overseas and don't want to pay mega $ for data.

I never thought of simply using Basecamp or Mapsource but that might be a good solution.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

If it helps to add context - the laptop I have, which is very new, folds over into tablet form and has a touch screen, which is really nice. And has anywhere up to about 8 hours battery life in one charge.

I wondered if it was one of those convertible touch screen laptops. My son has one. Unfortunately it's a piece of junk.

I came across GCExplorer after some Google searches and it's a really nice looking app, if only it allowed the map screen to be used along with downloaded PQs while offline. I need to be offline because I'm generally traveling overseas and don't want to pay mega $ for data.

I never thought of simply using Basecamp or Mapsource but that might be a good solution.

You really should check out nRoute as well. Apparently Garmin discontinued it in lieu of something else but old (free) versions are still available. I totally understand the need to be able to use the app offline while traveling internationally.

I use a 7" Android tablet for next-day trip planning around the campfire / in the hotel room; in the passenger seat would work too. App is the same one I use for the actual caching with the phone, so there's nothing new to learn. And it works offline.

You might be surprised at the bang-for-buck ratio of Android tablets these days.

Plug a Garmin GPSr into Basecamp, and the GPSr's maps and caches pop up (...eventually :anicute:). You may need more stuff if you want the laptop to keep its position updated while travelling. That depends on whether your laptop has a built-in GPS receiver, or if it's wifi-only, how acceptable its updates are to you. My iPad is wifi-only, but performs location updates based on wifi signals it intercepts along the road.

You can then download more caches if you arrive in an unexpected area on your trip, into Basecamp or the GPSr, or both.

Edited by kunarion

You can convert gpx files to kml files and load them into google maps. It's a pita but if you're looking for a win solution, that'll get your geocache waypoints on a map for the navigator to direct you to. You won't get the cache details as far as I know.

I was going to use this as my "navigation to the cache" solution until I bought a bad elf gps and cachly for my iPad. With the elf, cachly and iPad I not only have the caches on a map, I can get descriptions, picture and hints while driving.

A long time ago I used a laptop with mapsource (I believe) and GSAK loaded. I connected my etrex via USB, so the car's location was visible. It worked great! But I didn't have cellular connectivity so everything had to be loaded before I set out.

But I didn't have cellular connectivity so everything had to be loaded before I set out.

This is a critical part of what I am looking for - I have to have everything loaded including maps before setting out so that I *don't* have to rely on mobile internet as this is a solution for me to use while traveling overseas.

On a roadtrip across Europe a couple of years back, my navigator had some app on an iPad (completely offline) that worked really well - showed maps pre-downloaded with caches that were downloaded to it via PQ. I forget the name of the app now but it was really nice.

I just have no desire to become an iPad owner (well, I generally refer to iPad ownership as "renting" since you're practically forced to buy a new one every few years - please excuse my cynicism ;) )

I use a 7" Android tablet for next-day trip planning around the campfire / in the hotel room; in the passenger seat would work too. App is the same one I use for the actual caching with the phone, so there's nothing new to learn. And it works offline.

You might be surprised at the bang-for-buck ratio of Android tablets these days.

Yes, if I could do it online, I'd definitely consider just running c:geo on a large android tablet. Or even just the geocaching.com map page... But my need/desire is to be offline.

Surely I mustn't be alone in that need! lol

I wondered if it was one of those convertible touch screen laptops. My son has one. Unfortunately it's a piece of junk.

Well, to clarify, I've just bought this thing and thought I'd try it out - it's sole purpose will be display of caches on a map on a decent sized screen for the passengers in the car to see what's around us while we are driving and to store backup of GPX/GPZ files to download onto our real GPS units, which we will also be carrying. Maybe also we'll keep a spreadsheet on there to keep a track of what our goals are and what we've found. Oh and checking emails when online at hotels. We won't be using it for any super-computing ;) and it was *way* cheaper than any iPad or half decent Android tablet.

Back in the day when the little ePC laptops first started coming out I bought a Linux based one, and it was fantastic as a backup for GPX files, etc, and figuratively saved my life on a couple of occasions. It was tiny, super light weight and immense battery life. This is really just the new generation of those.

But my need/desire is to be offline.

Notice I mentioned trip planning around the campfire? Locus excels as a fully-offline map- and caching app. I think of it as a complete Garmin replacement.

It also works online if that's what you prefer.

Hehe, I didn't know if your campfire might be near a cell tower, and I didn't want to consider if your campfire was in your hotel room, but that would have made the news probably :)

I use GSAK on my computer, and then copy the GSAK database to my Android tablet and use GDAK. I also download maps for use with it from mapforge.

There is some learning curve to using GSAK/GDAK.

I do not have data on my tablet (WiFi only), but it does have a GPS, and I can use it to view the maps and the caches, with positional awareness.

I use it to get to the area of the cache, however I don't like using it for the actual finding -- for that I switch over to my Garmin, which is also loaded with the caches.

Yes, if I could do it online, I'd definitely consider just running c:geo on a large android tablet. Or even just the geocaching.com map page... But my need/desire is to be offline.

Surely I mustn't be alone in that need! lol

You actually can use c:geo offline..

Not sure though if it helps your situation

Garmin's BaseCamp software will do what you want. Import a PQ and it shows everything on a map. Note that BaseCamp has no online features, so you would download maps ahead of time. There are quite a few sources for offline maps.

Garmin's BaseCamp software will do what you want. Import a PQ and it shows everything on a map. Note that BaseCamp has no online features, so you would download maps ahead of time. There are quite a few sources for offline maps.

Yes this seems like my best solution (at least my default unless I come up with a better one). Also, because it's a Windows laptop I can use Excel and other windows applications along the way.

Re the Android suggestions - GDAK and c:geo offline - yes, also both good solutions (well I don't know GDAK but it sounds good). c:geo is what I use on my phone and sometimes offline if I go out of coverage - it's nice in that it caches the pages recently viewed and can have PQs downloaded to it.

Thanks for all the useful suggestions and I hope I'm not the only one who has learnt a few things from this topic. :)

I use Microsoft Street & Trips for this. Still works...for now.

I setup the Delorme Street Atlas as well as Topo9 apps on a cheapo "RCA" 10 inch Tablet several months ago. Two issues stood out:

1) If you have to supply a USB gps data location stream, you will need to provide external or internal power to the gps device. It worked with both an internally 2xAA cell powered Delorme PN-60 and an external unpowered puck.

2) Older Windows apps tend to be designed for larger screen computers and require a hand operated mouse to achieve enough precision to properly use the app. Fat Finger Touch screen mode just doesn't work for a pro-active user. Might be OK for just watching the cache icons pop up as you drive by, but I wouldn't bother.

Yes this seems like my best solution (at least my default unless I come up with a better one). Also, because it's a Windows laptop I can use Excel and other windows applications along the way.

I don't know what kind of car you'd be driving (a rental?) but may newer cars come equipped with bluetooth. On a recent trip I synced my phone with bluetooth to my car then started up the navigation app and started the route with turn by turn directions. Then I started the Geocaching map and could watch for nearby caches as I was driving and would get turn-by-turn directions over my cars speakers at the same time. I didn't need the navigation app most of the time so I started up the spotify app (I have a paid account) and was able to stream music while driving and watch for caches in the Geocaching app at the same time.

If you've got bluetooth in the car it might be worth trying to sync it with the laptop to see if you can use a navigation app to see if you can get turn by turn directions while also running a Basecamp.

Most new cars also have a small (or not so small screen) that is linked the the entertainment system and a basic trip computer. Wouldn't it be cool if it basically worked like a tablet and one could download apps to it? It could run a navigation app, geocaching app, streaming services like Spotify or Pandora or anything else one might find useful (Yelp?, Trivago?).

On 5/29/2017 at 5:57 PM, funkymunkyzone said:

On a roadtrip across Europe a couple of years back, my navigator had some app on an iPad (completely offline) that worked really well - showed maps pre-downloaded with caches that were downloaded to it via PQ. I forget the name of the app now but it was really nice.

The navigator can inform you it was Looking4Cache Pro ;)