Can you make a list from a Pocket Query

akerdoc

Does anyone know if you can create a List from the caches in a PQ. If so, how do you do it?

Thanks for any help

I looked for threads on the subject and only found a couple of them. And they suggest that "GSAK" can do it.

But what are you trying to do? I don't make my Pocket Queries into "Lists", but after I run a PQ, it's available in the Official App as if it were a List. So not having a List made from a PQ hasn't been a huge issue. Especially since saved PQs work in more ways than Lists do.

Well, that's how it works for now. I'm uncertain what TPTB intend in regards to PQs and "Lists", and I don't wanna jinx everything, but it almost looks like they're trying to do away with "PQs". At which point, VIOLA! ...we'll get "Lists" instead.

Edited by kunarion

Does anyone know if you can create a List from the caches in a PQ. If so, how do you do it?

Thanks for any help

I looked for threads on the subject and only found a couple of them. And they suggest that "GSAK" can do it.

But what are you trying to do? I don't make my Pocket Queries into "Lists", but after I run a PQ, it's available in the Official App as if it were a List. So not having a List made from a PQ hasn't been a huge issue. Especially since saved PQs work in more ways than Lists do.

Well, that's how it works for now. I'm uncertain what TPTB intend in regards to PQs and "Lists", and I don't wanna jinx everything, but it almost looks like they're trying to do away with "PQs". At which point, VIOLA! ...we'll get "Lists" instead.

A PQ is more than just the GPX file one can download. It would be a really bad idea to get rid of the entire PQ system, which also consists of a search page that has criteria (e.g. attributes) that aren't available on the main search page and the ability to save queries for periodic execution. Saving the results of a PQ to a list, as long as one could download the list as a GPX file (or send it to a GPS...including brands other than a Garmin) wouldn't be such a bad thing. Integrating all the search criteria available on the PQ creation page into the main search page (and the maps page) and the ability to save searches (and schedule them periodically) would be necessary if the PQ system was removed entirely.

Thanks for any help

A PQ is more than just the GPX file one can download. It would be a really bad idea to get rid of the entire PQ system, which also consists of a search page that has criteria (e.g. attributes) that aren't available on the main search page and the ability to save queries for periodic execution. Saving the results of a PQ to a list, as long as one could download the list as a GPX file (or send it to a GPS...including brands other than a Garmin) wouldn't be such a bad thing. Integrating all the search criteria available on the PQ creation page into the main search page (and the maps page) and the ability to save searches (and schedule them periodically) would be necessary if the PQ system was removed entirely.

Sure. Just remember that when I said that it looks like the plan is to remove “PM” and replace it with the Message Center, everyone insisted it wasn't gonna happen, listing all the reasons PM must stay. Then the new Profile Page arrived without PM. I was 110% correct. B)

Thanks for any help

The reason I was trying to see if you could make a list from a PQ was because you can now easily send a List to a Garmin GPS, but you can't directly send a PQ to a GPS. I have been adding PQs to my GPS for a long time, but it is a multiple step process. Also you can't make a List of Geocaches along a Route.

I am with you, I am really afraid that they are doing to do away with PQs "because of old code" and that HQ has to update the code and PQs won't be part of that update.

The reason I was trying to see if you could make a list from a PQ was because you can now easily send a List to a Garmin GPS, but you can't directly send a PQ to a GPS. I have been adding PQs to my GPS for a long time, but it is a multiple step process. Also you can't make a List of Geocaches along a Route.

It would be cool if "Lists" and "Pocket Queries" were portable, or interchangeable. I wish this Pocket Query was a List (or vice versa), *Click*, done. It looks like kind of a mess right now.

I am with you, I am really afraid that they are doing to do away with PQs "because of old code" and that HQ has to update the code and PQs won't be part of that update.

It wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't seem oh-so-much like deja-vu all over again. That on that day, there will be The Update removing Pocket Queries in favor of "Lists", followed by a lot of emails to TPTB that "I need actual GPX files to load my GPSr, and 'Lists' don't cut it", with the eventual reply that "Due to the response, we'll restore the Pocket Query function, for now." :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

It would be cool if "Lists" and "Pocket Queries" were portable, or interchangeable. I wish this Pocket Query was a List (or vice versa), *Click*, done. It looks like kind of a mess right now.

A list and a pocket query can't be interchangeable.

A List is just a named list of caches. A List can be created from the results of the main search page, or caches added to an existing list from each cache page.

A Pocket Query consists of three parts:

1) a page for creating and executing search criteria,

2) the ability to save and replay that search periodically, and

3) a format that can be downloaded (a zipped GPX file)

That third part of a Pocket Query *could* be a List.

If GS changed Pocket Queries such that results were saved as a List, and that List could be downloaded, then that would simplify things. Currently, the My Lists page has "actions" that can be applied for any selected list by clicking on the circle with the three dots in on the right side of each list.

- Send to Garmin

- Create Pocket Query

- Delete

Frankly, I don't understand the purpose of "Create a Pocket Query" from a list of caches other than that it provides the means to download pocket query results. If I add five caches to a list, what's the point of running a Pocket Query if those are the only caches on the list? Instead of "Create Pocket Query" as a list action, if it had "Download List" (as a GPX file), and a Pocket Query saved results to a List rather than to the Pocket Query page downloads tab, that would effectively integrate Pocket Queries and Lists. It would also be useful if a "Map this List" action were added as well.

In the long term, if all the attributes and other criteria were available on the main search page and a "Save Search" button added such that it could periodically be re-executed, the existing PQ system could be retired. The final piece could be adding those search criteria to the map page so that it could be used to create search and save the results as a list.

I often make a pocket query out of a list as it's easier to get onto my GPS without having to move or download each cache separately.

I do see reasons for wanting to turn a PG into a list though, and I ran into exactly that situation this week. I displayed all ECs on the map within a certain area for a trip. Now I could click them all and move them into a list. Or I could create a pocketquery. But if I want to add additional information to those caches I'd need a list as pocketqueries don't allow for additional information.

for example:

change the name of the items and number them in the order I want to do them, then print out the list

Add additional information like driving directions, available time or other stuff.

Of course I can print out the overview of caches in a pocketquery, but I cannot add additional information to this, nor order it the way I need it. Closest to home or alphabetically is not always that useful, you know. I can still print out this overview and add additional information by hand, but having a list with caches in the right order also makes the logging back home easier. And I can access this list for logging much easier than the caches in the pocketquery.

Same question as original posting.  Also, like last poster, I think it would be awesome to have a "make llist" button on query results screen or on page that lists all of a geocacher's queries.

I would either like to make llists from results of "route" queries or directly make "route" lists.

Seems this comes up several times each year for me and I've never found a successful way of doing this. 

Edited by Geoboater
clarification
  • Upvote 1
On 6/1/2017 at 6:44 AM, terratin said:

I often make a pocket query out of a list as it's easier to get onto my GPS without having to move or download each cache separately.

I do see reasons for wanting to turn a PG into a list though, and I ran into exactly that situation this week.

There is a roundabout way to do this, if you have a Windows system and GSAK.  Download the PQ into GSAK and then use the Geocaching.com menu to create a list and upload your caches into the list.

3 hours ago, Geoboater said:

I would either like to make llists from results of "route" queries or directly make "route" lists.

Seems this comes up several times each year for me and I've never found a successful way of doing this. 

As mentioned in this thread, after a Pocket Query is "run" (generated), you can save it offline in The Official Geocaching App as a Pocket Query.  Do you require "Lists" specifically?

It seems like the New Search function (along with its "Lists) is becoming more useful, while Pocket Query functions stay the same.  So I've suspected that the "New Search" may someday acquire all the capabilities of Pocket Queries.  In that case, it seems to me that you would get Lists directly.  You know, whenever that update occurs. :anicute:

Found I can download pocket queries for offline access in the Cachly app, so I'm good to go.  The primary reason is to download the results of queries for caches along a route.  A whole lot quicker than jumping through hoops in GSAK and I don't have to revert back to the Official Geocaching App either (which I left several years ago).

I have a Pocket Query of all my hides. I can import it into Cachly and make a Cachly list. That's handy.

But I'd like to look at more info about those caches in Project GC's Virtual GPS. It looks like Project GC can import a bookmark list. But I can't get the PQ into an online bookmark list.

This seems to be something many people might want to do. But I'm stuck.

Edit: I knew that if I posted, I would find the answer to my problem. PAF (phone a friend) works like that, too. :-)

In Project GC > Home > Dashboard > Advanced Search > cache owner (I did my name exactly and all of US)

On result, select all and add to VGPS. 

Edited by BethKatzPA
Extended answer
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Now I can't find USA under countries, but I do see my state in the second box, but it sure is a lot of scrolling! Has it always been this way?

Yes, it has always been that way. Avoid scrolling by just hitting your state's first letter. ;)

Hans

4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Now I can't find USA under countries, but I do see my state in the second box, but it sure is a lot of scrolling!

A lot of scrolling? Just click in the state list and type the first letter and you're almost there ;) This works on most if not all websites.