Geocaching Anger Management (GAM)

I see alot of angry people out there destroying caches, writing mean logs, and complaining about a cache being too hard to a point where a great cache gets archived...

Sometimes I wonder if we all need a little geocaching counceling (insert chuckle)....

When I first started geocaching I had a lot of anger issues. I remember getting so mad that I couldn't find a cache when I hiked 5 miles and looked for 2 hours. I would throw sticks, rocks, yell to the sky like an angry monkey who lost its bananas and shake my fists at the heavens.(ok ok I exagerate a bit. It's more just being a bit grumpy) Although I never intentionally broke or destroyed a cache there were a few that I mismanaged and accidentally broke because of being careless in my fury. After a time I realized oh gee this is just a game, a hobby why am I getting so frustrated? I learned to calm myself down when I started to feel a surge of burning anger and enjoy what was around me. Most of the time my anger had nothing really to do with geocaching at all and I forced myself to recognize that and be more gracious as I went caching. Now when I start feeling frustrated I take a breath and stop to look around and the scenery and remember it's just for fun and I don't have to always find everything for this awesome activity to be fun.

Now that I've learned to cope better over time I wonder how many others have experienced this. Oh come on you know you get crabby with that dnf or find the cache is on the other side of a river...

So what do you do? What would you recommend to people who can't seem to let it go?

Edited by candlestick

I just looked at the first 3 on your caches hidden list. I don't think we're talking about your caches. You get some nice comments and you are monitoring and maintaining those caches. Kudos.

So I suppose you are seeing these angry logs on other caches. Perhaps those angry logs are making a point. Is there a problem with the cache(s).

In my experience there's a problem and more people are mentioning it in their logs. And most often, there really is a problem that could be fixed/made better by an attentive owner.

If you find people are angry at your caches, you might want to reflect honestly on what the problem could be and how you could make their experience more enjoyable.

Im always open to suggestions on my caches thank you for that advice but im not referring to my own hides. Just in general when out and about or especially on the forums! :)

If you find people are angry at your caches, you might want to reflect honestly on what the problem could be and how you could make their experience more enjoyable.

Im always open to suggestions on my caches thank you for that advice but im not referring to my own hides. Just in general when out and about or especially on the forums! :)

The forums are a different matter. I for one feel freer to vent and debate in the forums. On cache listings, if I vent, there's a big problem in my opinion. I don't normally get angry. But I do sometimes get fed up with people who hide micros and list them as small. Or who hide tree climbs and list them as Terrain 2.

Edit to add: Personally I' m grateful to those who are honest about the cache experience. They have saved me much time and gas money and emotional irritation/frustration.

Edited by L0ne.R

Here, we see some logs from younger folks with anger issues mostly, but don't believe it's this hobby that started it...

It seems (to me) that many don't want to work a problem/talk things out in pretty-much everything in life.

Things don't go their way and they freak.

If you're brought up with that "everyone's a winner", or "everybody gets a trophy" mindset, there's a good chance that something as simple as not finding a silly geocache is enough to send some nuts.

- Sad.

Here, we see some logs from younger folks with anger issues mostly, but don't believe it's this hobby that started it...

It seems (to me) that many don't want to work a problem/talk things out in pretty-much everything in life.

Things don't go their way and they freak.

If you're brought up with that "everyone's a winner", or "everybody gets a trophy" mindset, there's a good chance that something as simple as not finding a silly geocache is enough to send some nuts.

- Sad.

Yes! Exactly!

I also see that more challenging caches like tough terrain or high difficulty caches are "dumbed down" nowadays or people complain and it gets removed not because it's in poor condition or not maintained but because it requires a tool. Im all for everyone getting a chance to find something but removing the challenge just because its on the map and a few people can't (or wont put in effort) to get it is a big party pooper in my view. :sad:

I don't think I've ever gotten angry while geocaching. Maybe disappointed or frustrated, but nothing to get angry at. Even when a couple of my caches have disappeared, I just took it in stride, as we all know that happens. Have to agree with the statement by cerberus1 above: If you're brought up with that "everyone's a winner", or "everybody gets a trophy" mindset, there's a good chance that something as simple as not finding a silly geocache is enough to send some nuts.

I don't have anger issues, I have grumpy issues. And not just geocaching.. I tend to easily get grumpy when things don't go as planned.

This is something I try to fight. Specifically with geocaching, I try to think about the good part, assuming there is one (e.g. the nice walk before the DNF).

Honestly there are only two things that even mildly upset me when it comes to geocaching. One is not finding a travel bug in a cache that's suppose to have one. The second is having to drive around in circles looking for a safe parking spot.

Neither of these causes me to want to start breaking things. If it did I'd move on and do something else.

My husband enjoys creating difficult geocaches that require time and patience to find. There's some degree of whining from time to time from people who mistakenly believe they are entitled to find every cache with minimal effort.

Not all caches are for all people and most of us have the good sense to skip over a cache that doesn't appeal. People who lash out because a cache is tricky are simply beneath regard.

Usually, when someone is angry about a difficult cache, the problem is a poorly behaved cacher with impulse control issues. Caches don't need to be designed to please the lowest common denominator.

Usually, when someone is angry about a difficult cache, the problem is a poorly behaved cacher with impulse control issues. Caches don't need to be designed to please the lowest common denominator.

I see your point.

It's actually hard to comment properly without knowing what anger-management-style comments were being posted on which caches. "GAM" for one cache might be justified, and for another may be uncalled for.

I don't recall any flip-out angry logs from people. Grumpy occasionally. Sometimes the NMs/NAs can come across a little exasperated and grumpy. The GAM stuff usually comes in public logs from owners when their cache gets an NA. Ooooo, the hissy fits that some COs publicly log in response for all to see. ohmy.gif

I see your point.

It's actually hard to comment properly without knowing what anger-management-style comments were being posted on which caches. "GAM" for one cache might be justified, and for another may be uncalled for.

I don't recall any flip-out angry logs from people. Grumpy occasionally. Sometimes the NMs/NAs can come across a little exasperated and grumpy. The GAM stuff usually comes in public logs from owners when their cache gets an NA. Ooooo, the hissy fits that some COs publicly log in response for all to see. ohmy.gif

Yes, I have seen some doozies. Cache owners like that usually burn themselves out and leave the game in spectacular fashion. They're simply beneath regard.

So far some ideas for dealing with general grumpiness have been:

1. If your caches have been causing upset then it's possible to work to make it less frustrating to others

2. Find something else to do

3. Remember it's a game

4. Don't feel entitled to find a cache

5. Sometimes honesty especially about frustrating cache experiences can be helpful to others

6.Think about the good parts!

7. It's not about winning but learn to accept you may not find all the caches or it's always going to be easy

8. You don't have to get every cache so enjoy the experience while you're at it.

DNFs rarely anger me. Disappointment, yes, but I see them as a challenge to come back another time with fresh eyes and maybe a hint or two from the CO or another finder. There was one a few years back, though...

It had been a bad week. I'd solved a newly published puzzle cache a week earlier but had failed on my three attempts at finding the container. The first time the checker was broken so I didn't even know if I had the correct coordinates, but the CO confirmed them for me prior to visit 2, and gave me more hints for visit 3, but still no joy. So I thought I'd lighten up a bit with an easier one, a newly published D2/T2 traditional near home that also hadn't been found. It was in an abandoned quarry, with my GPSr leading me to what looked like a tailings mound with drain pipes poking out the back of it into a pool of obnoxious, if not toxic, waste water. After going up, down, through and over it all I couldn't find the cache and, starting to wonder if it was really safe to be touching that stuff, headed back to the car, only to see two people and a large dog coming towards me. At first I thought they were fellow cachers and I waved to them, but they weren't, just muggles out walking their oh-so-friendly pooch that had just been swimming in the slimy pools left behind by the quarry works. Said dog insisted on jumping all over me, covering my clothes with slime. That was it, I'd had it with this stupid caching game and, after returning home and throwing my clothes in the washing machine, bashed out a stinging DNF log saying exactly what I thought of his choice of GZ. Only later did I realise the CO was a teenager who'd only just been introduced to caching by one of my mates. Oops! Lesson learnt, apologies made, and my logs are always very diplomatic now.

Edited by barefootjeff

I don't really have this issue with caching anyway. I do get frustrated, like everyone else, but never get angry at caches to the degree you've described.

#1 Stop searching when it's no longer fun. Don't search for 2 hours. If you feel yourself getting annoyed, say after 10 minutes, stop and go find another cache. Try to be more self aware. It may help to say STOP out loud. Come back later, with a friend if possible. It's often much easier the 2nd time.

#2 Take a look at what's going on with the rest of your life. Is it really the cache you're mad at or are you lacking control in some other area of your life?

#3 Were you hungry, tired, thirsty? I've had some angry episodes with strangers. Invariably, there was a lack of sleep involved. I once totally chewed a woman out for trying to sneek into a very long bus line up. Had only 4 hours of sleep that night.

#4 Go on longer hikes. Maybe you just really need to burn some more energy.

#5 Maybe just enjoy your anger, but try to leave the cache out of it. If you have alot of frustration in your life, you need to get it out somehow. If you find it cathartic, I don't see anything wrong with throwing things around and yelling like an angry monkey. :P

Yes, I have seen some doozies. Cache owners like that usually burn themselves out and leave the game in spectacular fashion. They're simply beneath regard.

Another form of cacher entitlement - the belief that they can throw out caches in abundance and are entitled to leave them to rot and that anybody who dares log an NM deserves a tirade of abuse on the cache page <_<

Another form of cacher entitlement - the belief that they can throw out caches in abundance and are entitled to leave them to rot and that anybody who dares log an NM deserves a tirade of abuse on the cache page <_<

Yeah, this is something I really don't understand. If I were to get an NM on one of my hides, I'd be thanking them profusely for drawing my attention to a problem I was unaware of.

But people should only log an NM when the cache really needs maintenance. Over the rainy winter, someone logged a Needs maintenance on one of my caches, so I dutifully put a visit to that cache on my to-do list, and it was bugging me that due to rain and more rain and muddy trails, I wasn't able to get out to it as soon as I would have liked. WHen I got out there, I discovered that the cache had no issues at all. The problem that had apparently prompted the "NM" log was not in evidence. So either someone had made a mistake and it had created a lot of unnecessary concern for me for some time.

Other times, people log a NM for caches where the log is damp. Well instead of hailing the CO over every damp log -- how about just bringing paper with you when you go geocaching and replacing damp logs yourself? I do this, and have replaced many many logs this way. Saves the CO a lot of work. Yes, we can say the cache should have been better and more waterproof, but sometimes that just isn't possible -- or the waterproofness of the cache was compromised by some of the finders not closing it correctly.

So I really appreciate geocachers who bring paper and scissors with them when they go geocaching.

...Other times, people log a NM for caches where the log is damp. Well instead of hailing the CO over every damp log -- how about just bringing paper with you when you go geocaching and replacing damp logs yourself? I do this, and have replaced many many logs this way. Saves the CO a lot of work. Yes, we can say the cache should have been better and more waterproof, but sometimes that just isn't possible -- or the waterproofness of the cache was compromised by some of the finders not closing it correctly.

So I really appreciate geocachers who bring paper and scissors with them when they go geocaching.

I sorta understand your point, and will drop in a Rite in Rain strip for active cachers we know, to tide them over. :)

- But I expect them to show up at some point, to fix their own cache.

They agreed to maintenance when placing it.

In my experience there are very few people who get angry from geocaching. Angry geocachers are nearly always angry people who happen to geocache. If they weren't geocaching they would be angry at something else.

Cacher entitlement issues seems to nearly always manifest itself in the form of throwdowns rather than anger. "Can't find it must be gone" logs seem to nearly always be newbie ignorance more than entitlement. Trashed caches are from vandals or the occasional anti-cache crusader.

Cachers are from a wide variety of ages, attitudes, and backgrounds. That includes the thin-skinned, demanding, and/or super-competitive as well as those who (by their own admission) don't know how to politely disagree with anyone. I can think of multiple examples of all of the above in geocaching, all over the age of 40; this isn't some snowflake Millenial problem.

Other times, people log a NM for caches where the log is damp. Well instead of hailing the CO over every damp log -- how about just bringing paper with you when you go geocaching and replacing damp logs yourself? I do this, and have replaced many many logs this way. Saves the CO a lot of work. Yes, we can say the cache should have been better and more waterproof, but sometimes that just isn't possible -- or the waterproofness of the cache was compromised by some of the finders not closing it correctly.

I used to bring along a few cache supplies and help out whenever a cache needed a little TLC. I don't do that anymore for just anyone. I realized that these CO's are making a choice when they decide to place micro's or use containers that leak or are ultra cheap. If a log is damp, I'll mention it in my log. If it's full, I'll log a NM in the hopes to get the log replaced. Same with a log that is a ball of mush or chewed to tatters. If a CO is tired of replacing damp logs, they have the choice to use better containers or archive the cache. Or do what most owners do and ignore the issues until someone else either fixes it for them or slaps an NA on the cache and the reviewer archives it, leaving the garbage behind.

There are a very select few CO's that I will give their caches first aid because I know they are good owners that would have fixed it up themselves. I'm just expediting the process and happy to help out. But, for the other 99%, they can do the maintenance they agreed to do when they placed the cache.

I don't get angry if I don't find a cache. Rather a bit desperate. But time as taught me that there's no shame in not finding a cache. It was still a nice hike/drive/whatever. I still do get annoyed though. Just came back from a caching trip in NE Scotland and at least found 33 caches and only have one DNF (21 of those were ECs though). I only searched for some 15 minutes though as it was raining and midges thought I might be great dinner. It's unlikely I will get up there again, but so what. I still had a great time that particular cache had great views.

I'm a newbie at this. I have 12 Cache finds under my belt & probably another 4 or 5 no finds....I don't get angry. I might get a little disappointed when I don't have a find, but mentally I always give myself a little credit for trying. I enjoy being outdoors enough in general, that I'm always happy to remind myself~ that even with a non-find, I'm outside enjoying myself and I'm not at work (I have 2 jobs, so is a treat to not be at work)!!!!

As for Cache maintenance, I would have no problem adding extra log sheets if needed, but since a lot of my finds thus far have been on my way too and from other activities or obligations, I rarely have much more on me then a good pair of hike shoes, my smart phone, and a pen. In the future, I plan to put a cache box together to keep in my car (I need to start collecting a bit of swag so i can swap occasionally rather than just signing the log). When I get that done, I will most certainly include paper to add to logs if needed. I appreciate every cache hidden regardless of if the owner stays on top of the"maintenance" or not.

In my opinion, folks who are getting angry have much deeper issues than simply not finding a cache....

I try not to get angry while caching. After all, if your chosen hobby is making you angry, perhaps you need a new hobby. However, a few things about this hobby do occasionally push the limits of my patience, including:

-- A string of DNFs in a row, especially if they're described by others as easy

-- Anything that wastes a lot of time. I usually only have a few hours at a time to spend caching, so it can be super-aggravating to suddenly realize I'm on the wrong trail, or that I can't figure out where to park, or I've driven 20-30 minutes to a location and for whatever reason can't cache there that day.

I get angry with two thing related to geocaching. I get really frosted with search and destroy cachers. Those that tear apart old rock walls, or bring a rake and rake all the dead pine needles under the tree into a 3 foot high pile.

The other issue is cachers that put our reward trails or geotours, and don't maintain the caches. If you are going to put out a reward trail or geotour, the cache should be maintained to a higher standard. (That doesn't mean the problem has to be fixed immediately, but I do expect quick, timely updates on the cache status, and if you promise to fix something by a date, you keep your promise.) I did a geotour that required stamping a passport. Get 100 stamps, get a geocoin. I had a trip planned to get the remaining 40 stamps, scattered all over the state of Washington. A week long trip, with well over a 1000 miles of driving. On the third day, one of the caches was missing its stamp. That meant that I was going to be one stamp short of a 100. I agonized over continuing or not (I continued), but I wasn't angry. The CO responded that evening, confirmed the stamp was missing, disabled the cache, and let me know that they would be unable to replace the stamp for three weeks. I saw a number of others that were doing the geotour, and they left angry logs regarding the missing stamps.

The other issue is cachers that put our reward trails or geotours, and don't maintain the caches.

I completely agree. The 2 I've sampled (I wasn't trying to complete the tours) were very neglected. I too expected a higher standard. It seems whenever a "team" puts out a cache series, there's no one willing to do any upkeep. That part gets me tee'd off.

The other issue is cachers that put our reward trails or geotours, and don't maintain the caches.

I completely agree. The 2 I've sampled (I wasn't trying to complete the tours) were very neglected. I too expected a higher standard. It seems whenever a "team" puts out a cache series, there's no one willing to do any upkeep. That part gets me tee'd off.

The couple we ever kept track of seemed to be created by a community organizer, p&r director, etc. after a mayor/supervisor thought "that geocatching thing" a great idea after reading marketing hype of visitors to their region.

- Some never found a cache themselves.

I don't know, guess I just figured "what did anyone expect"? :)

1496175609[/url]' post='5658775']
1496171643[/url]' post='5658764']
1496167260[/url]' post='5658758']

The couple we ever kept track of seemed to be created by a community organizer, p&r director, etc. after a mayor/supervisor thought "that geocatching thing" a great idea after reading marketing hype of visitors to their region.

- Some never found a cache themselves.

I don't know, guess I just figured "what did anyone expect"? :)

I expected more from people representing and promoting their community. It's a bit of a let down that those in business/tourism/parks&rec/city-town municipalities don't maintain a high standard.

I get angry with two thing related to geocaching. I get really frosted with search and destroy cachers. Those that tear apart old rock walls, or bring a rake and rake all the dead pine needles under the tree into a 3 foot high pile.

I agree completely in principle. But then don't hide an incredibly difficult cache in such a sensitive area.

I agree completely in principle. But then don't hide an incredibly difficult cache in such a sensitive area.

Yes, the cache hider is at fault. Beware of the Scorched Earth Cachers.