Doubled up waymarks

elyob

As a reviewer this has now happened to me twice. A waymark submission had incorrect co-ordinates which I did not immediately detect when I approved the post. Soon after posting, I noticed the co-ordinates were off. I edited the co-ordinates and eventually learned that the site had already been created as a waymark by another waymarker. Because the original co-ordinates were incorrect, there was no proximity warning to alert me that the site was already waymarked.

What should we do in this situation? For now, I have let the sites be twice waymarked. With two waymarks, it might be more likely to receive a visit?!?

As a reviewer this has now happened to me twice. A waymark submission had incorrect co-ordinates which I did not immediately detect when I approved the post. Soon after posting, I noticed the co-ordinates were off. I edited the co-ordinates and eventually learned that the site had already been created as a waymark by another waymarker. Because the original co-ordinates were incorrect, there was no proximity warning to alert me that the site was already waymarked.

What should we do in this situation? For now, I have let the sites be twice waymarked. With two waymarks, it might be more likely to receive a visit?!?

Can you provide an example? :unsure: It may be a bug I think. :blink:

Edited by Manville Possum

Duplicates are an absolute no-go, in my opinion. Whenever I come across a duplicate, I will reevaluate and decline the second one, no matter how long it had been active.

And I think I just did that with the example you had in mind, a couple of seconds before I read this post. :unsure:

Duplicates are an absolute no-go, in my opinion. Whenever I come across a duplicate, I will reevaluate and decline the second one, no matter how long it had been active.

Ditto! I would never leave the second Waymark. It had already been claimed by the first Waymark. Just apologize for your oversight, delete it (with appropriate explanation) and move on. I imagine the submitter will understand.

It's not as though no one has posted a Waymark before checking to see what's been done in the neighbourhood, only do discover that someone has beaten him to it. I will say that it happens to me less and less with each passing month, simply because I hate all the wasted time I can rack up on a Waymark when it's already been done - SOOOOO - I pretty much always check first, write second.

I have (had, rather) a secret - I found one in Maine, done by Silverquill, which had bad coords and a second one (by another Waymarker), with correct coords, which also exists. I forget now which came first. In any event, since I wasn't an officer of the category and it was Silverquill, I let it be. If it had been almost anyone else I would have brought it to his attention.

Keith

There is a second possibilty. I sometimes write an email to the second poster, explain the situation and offer him to archive his waymark within a couple of days before I will have to decline it. So he han keep his stats and the duplicate - or otherwise wrongly approved waymark - is gone. But you have to keep track of them, so I usually only do this when the waymark had been active for a while and especially when there are visits that would also disappear with a denial.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMT7PZ_Pod_of_Dolphins_And_Mermaid_Galveston_TX

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM8DCJ_Dolphins_and_Sea_Nymph_Galveston_Texas

N 29° 18.367 W 094° 46.610 - mine

N 29° 18.367 W 094° 46.612 - other

The first is my waymark submitted in October 2016. The second was submitted in 2010.

I submitted mine at the same time that the email fiasco was going on. Where no notifications were being sent. So that might be how this got approved.

When I realized that it was a dupe, I just deleted it.

We had that happen over in the Texas Historical Markers category a few weeks ago. I submitted a marker, found nothing in the immediate area when I was creating it, and then LATER found the same marker at the coordinates for another marker. We got rid of my entry after updating the original with my information and a few photos.

As a poster I know the Problem. There still is this nasty bug that sometimes saves a "W" although I definitely chose the "E". And when I later change it "E" again, there is no warning anymore. Fortunately, my number of waymarks is low enough to keep most of them in mind, but more active posters might stumble over this problem.

Over the years I've seen several duplicates. http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMCK1T had once a clone of the same user in the same category. They had been posted in different years and with different photos, but both were approved. I sent a message to the owner and obviously he removed the clone. And I personally also wouldn't want duplicates of any of my waymarks. On the contrary, I would be grateful, if somebody let me know BEFORE both have visits.

And I think I just did that with the example you had in mind, a couple of seconds before I read this post. :unsure:

Yes you did. It was only the person's fourth waymark. I'm not tough enough to do the deed. Maybe I shouldn't be a reviewer...

Why is that? Because I have found duplicate WM's too?

No. Reading your reply it appeared to me that you had misinterpreted what Elyob was saying in his post.

Maybe I wasn't firing properly and was misinterpreting your reply. Or mebbe we're both wrong and the sky really is green.

Keith

Why is that? Because I have found duplicate WM's too?

No. Reading your reply it appeared to me that you had misinterpreted what Elyob was saying in his post.

Maybe I wasn't firing properly and was misinterpreting your reply. Or mebbe we're both wrong and the sky really is green.

Keith

No, some how I ended up once creating a duplicate, and before there was a "catch" in place to prevent that.

No, some how I ended up once creating a duplicate, and before there was a "catch" in place to prevent that.

I shouldn't be admitting this but more than once have I created a Waymark, only to discover that I had done it a year or two previous.

Is that an age thing?

Keith