Good Bye

CCB15

I heard basic members will see a 30 second video after pressing the Log Geocache button in the app. After the video they can then select the log type and provide their TFTC description.

Good grief! I hope you are just being funny. I wouldn't stand for that. That's an effective means of driving people away.

With an average of 50 cache finds per year I don't think there's much lost either way.

Agreed. 8 finds since January 2016. Not much has been lost, I think.

For me, personally, geocaching has enhanced my life so much, I would be happy to pay much much much more.

The apps and premium membership are a bargain, IMO. But only if you use them. And, yes, I think people who provide these services should be paid for their work. "It is all in principle."

I have friends who geocache, but they do not post logs on here. They just keep track themselves. Not a requirement to write "TFTC!" as far as I know.

Edited by DragonsWest

I don't think we need to attack the OP. I don't like to see anyone leave the hobby. I personally don't see how his points were valid reasons to drop Geocaching but to each their own.

I'm fully aware that there are free apps out there that may be better but I pay for and use the Geoacaching app. Most of these other apps basically steal data that premium members pay for. Premium members are the ones paying for any upgrades and day to day costs that GS pays for. Sure, GS has been lagging in some areas but I support them all the same with my premium membership. I respect that not everyone has the money to pay $30 for a membership, but there are still tons of caches available for basic members.

Also, IDK about other areas but there are quite a few very good caches around here available on the basic membership. However, if GS is going to generate revenue and stay in business they have to give people a reason to pay for the product. If they give everyone all the goodies for nothing what would pay for GS's costs? Also, I believe the owners are entitled to a profit.

Could the app be better? No doubt about that. Is it as bad as people make it sound? No.

Granted, I prefer to use a GPSr but I still cache frequently with my phone because it's always in my pocket. I find that app pretty easy to use, I don't have issues finding caches, the phone gets me to GZ and I'm good.

I heard basic members will see a 30 second video after pressing the Log Geocache button in the app. After the video they can then select the log type and provide their TFTC description.

Good grief! I hope you are just being funny. I wouldn't stand for that. That's an effective means of driving people away.

I seem to remember seeing that when someone who is using the app for the first time goes to log a cache it will present a short video instructional video, this doesn't happen every time, just the first time.

Though I may be mis-remembering - I've never used the GS app.

I seem to remember seeing that when someone who is using the app for the first time goes to log a cache it will present a short video instructional video, this doesn't happen every time, just the first time.

I was joking - I hope. Seeing a 30 second ad for basic members before they can log would be possible I'm sure.

I was joking - I hope. Seeing a 30 second ad for basic members before they can log would be possible I'm sure.

It's bad enough when I'm away from home and try to log into the site on my phone and it plays one of those confounded layered videos, which effectively throttles my phone. It's not even a lame phone, either. Hate websites that do that.

The loss of vital tools like bookmarks and pq's just made things worse. Those are the primary reason we have returned to being PM.

Huh? Bookmarks (https://www.geocaching.com/account/lists) and pocket queries (https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx) are still there, and are listed on the dashboard.

Both of which are available to premium members but not to basic, which is why PP apparently returned to premium membership to get them back.

That's what I meant. Not being a PM meant the loss of the bookmarks and pq's, and was the ultimate reason why we paid up finally. Caching without them is a ridiculously painful and frustrating experience.

The search function as a Basic Member is abysmal.

Maybe when we get some sort of mobile phone (soon), we might search out the various free non-GS apps. What I've read here on the forums about the GS app is not encouraging.

Free should not equal useless, and we might very well be Basic Members again soon.

B.

is it? The searching I mean? I always use the map to look for caches. I only ever used any other search option for solving mysteries. Lists and PQs were always premium features, weren't they?

I don't understand the point in leaving because of "cost". The cost ranges from free to thousands depending on how you want to play the game. You can look at the website and go out walking and cache for free. Or you can buy an expensive GPSr or use a cell phone, order tags or coins, buy swag, buy materials to place caches, take cross country road trips etc.

I don't think asking for a few dollars a month/year is unreasonable. I think a lot of people do not realize the amount of work it takes to run, what is essentially, a tech business. Servers, website, app, development, support and more. These things cost real money and takes real people to make it all happen 24 hours a day all year long. So if they want to have a couple bucks a month from me for a years worth of fun, exercise, and entertainment, I don't find that a problem.

As for you leaving, Good Bye. I hope you got what you wanted from this thread.

I think a lot of people do not realize the amount of work it takes to run, what is essentially, a tech business. Servers, website, app, development, support and more. These things cost real money and takes real people to make it all happen 24 hours a day all year long. So if they want to have a couple bucks a month from me for a years worth of fun, exercise, and entertainment, I don't find that a problem.

And I have to point out again, to those who balk at the idea that for them geocaching should be a free ride or nothing - every single cacher who placed a cache for your finding pleasure invested time, effort and money to do so. If you think that's not worth a few dollars a year on your part, I certainly won't lose any sleep over your choice that geocaching isn't for you.

I think a lot of people do not realize the amount of work it takes to run, what is essentially, a tech business. Servers, website, app, development, support and more. These things cost real money and takes real people to make it all happen 24 hours a day all year long. So if they want to have a couple bucks a month from me for a years worth of fun, exercise, and entertainment, I don't find that a problem.

And I have to point out again, to those who balk at the idea that for them geocaching should be a free ride or nothing - every single cacher who placed a cache for your finding pleasure invested time, effort and money to do so. If you think that's not worth a few dollars a year on your part, I certainly won't lose any sleep over your choice that geocaching isn't for you.

Not to mention a large building to make it all happen near downtown Seattle where renting or leasing said building can be very, very expensive.

Out of curiosity - can more than one phone log into one account using the official app? I know that with the app I use, this is possible. My husband logs into his app using my account info, so we only have one premium account. (We only have one account, period.) I could see the OP having one premium account that everyone in the family logs into to find the caches, then when they get home, use their separate accounts to log the caches.

The only downside is that they cannot log the caches using the official app. But logging on phones is overrated anyway. :)

Not to mention a large building to make it all happen near downtown Seattle where renting or leasing said building can be very, very expensive.

Seems funny this keeps being brought up. This thread wasn't started by someone wanting to freeload.

I have set a few caches, where do I apply for my share of the cash sent to Groundspeak by the folk who have found them ?

(NB, this is a wry joking comment, I've come to realise that I need to flag up my intent unequivocally in these forums to avoid tedious misunderstandings ... )

Out of curiosity - can more than one phone log into one account using the official app?

Yup. Our caching friends have one premium account and have two iphones with the official app, and they can both be logged in at the same time.

Seems funny this keeps being brought up. This thread wasn't started by someone wanting to freeload.

Right. It's about "principle".

Are you sure?

It isn't about the cost of app (which all 4 of us have), or the cost of the premium membership. It is all in principle. Forcing us to purchase a membership in order to keep going at the same level we have all become accustom to.

No hides recorded...

Decides to quit as soon as it looks like cost will be incurred...

[sarcasm]I have set a few caches, where do I apply for my share of the cash sent to Groundspeak by the folk who have found them ? [\sarcasm]

(NB, this is a wry joking comment, I've come to realise that I need to flag up my intent unequivocally in these forums to avoid tedious misunderstandings ... )

How's that? :P

I have set a few caches, where do I apply for my share of the cash sent to Groundspeak by the folk who have found them ?

Makes sarcastic post in written form : Complains about tedious misunderstandings

Sounds like a scenario begging for its own version of Muphry's Law.

Sounds like a scenario begging for its own version of Muphry's Law.

That's some cheap knockoff isn't it?

ETA: It is! laughing.gif "If you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written."

#TIL

Edited by thebruce0

Are you sure?

It isn't about the cost of app (which all 4 of us have), or the cost of the premium membership. It is all in principle. Forcing us to purchase a membership in order to keep going at the same level we have all become accustom to.

No hides recorded...

Nope.. But since the OP specifically mentioned it, his statement came across to me as suggesting he had purchased the apps times 4. If this is the case, then those paid for apps showed all caches except PM. GS took the paid app away and gave us the new and improved free version. Only thing is, the new app took caches away that anyone (premium or basic) with the paid app could normally see.

I've always supported GS with premium membership. It's helped them and at the same time, benefited me with the nice add on features. The business decision to make a free app but then take away a primary function that has always been in place is what's causing the angst,, imo.

Are you sure?

No hides recorded...

Nope.. But since the OP specifically mentioned it, his statement came across to me as suggesting he had purchased the apps times 4. If this is the case, then those paid for apps showed all caches except PM. GS took the paid app away and gave us the new and improved free version. Only thing is, the new app took caches away that anyone (premium or basic) with the paid app could normally see.

I've always supported GS with premium membership. It's helped them and at the same time, benefited me with the nice add on features. The business decision to make a free app but then take away a primary function that has always been in place is what's causing the angst,, imo.

So the old paid for app could allow people to find PM caches without being a PM?

Who buys the app four times...Lol

Are you sure?

No hides recorded...

So the old paid for app could allow people to find PM caches without being a PM?

No, the old app let basic members see non-PMO caches above D1.5.

And, families with four phone-cachers could have bought the app four times.

Are you sure?

No hides recorded...

Maybe a family, where they install it on each phone? It was stated in the very top post. Lol.

As this thread has trended towards judging the OP, did anyone bother to notice their join date?

Not exactly a new player. Regardless of number of finds or hides, their opinion should be respected. They did try to play the game and eventually found it wasn't to their liking. Considering the loss of players affects the metrics discussed in another thread, are these moves good ones, is the question.

There will certainly be thousands more who don't post here and we can only guess what makes them come and go, but I will leave this discussion with this thought:

I've met a fair number of people I've tried to introduce the game to and many already had - they weren't liking it and gave up on it. How do you grow the game without new players? How do you stop shedding existing players?

Edited by DragonsWest

Not exactly a new player. Regardless of number of finds or hides, their opinion should be respected. They did try to play the game and eventually found it wasn't to their liking.

The reason they gave for leaving wasn't that the game wasn't to their liking - it was that they were being forced to purchase membership.

Are you sure?

No hides recorded...

Maybe a family, where they install it on each phone? It was stated in the very top post. Lol.

As this thread has trended towards judging the OP, did anyone bother to notice their join date?

Not exactly a new player. Regardless of number of finds or hides, their opinion should be respected. They did try to play the game and eventually found it wasn't to their liking. Considering the loss of players affects the metrics discussed in another thread, are these moves good ones, is the question.

There will certainly be thousands more who don't post here and we can only guess what makes them come and go, but I will leave this discussion with this thought:

I've met a fair number of people I've tried to introduce the game to and many already had - they weren't liking it and gave up on it. How do you grow the game without new players? How do you stop shedding existing players?

It was stated in the very top post why they decided to leave the game, and it wasn't because they didn't like it anymore. Just so you know.

The underlying message I got from all of this from the OP was: they had to purchase memberships to continue playing on the level they were accustomed to (also stated in the top post). Yet, they purchased an app four times, and four memberships. If spending money on Geocaching was such a drag, why spend so much? Why not look at an alternative. Make one family account for everyone to use. That's one membership not four.

No one is "judging" anyone here. The game isn't free.

Someone who can afford four smartphones :ph34r:

This I don't understand. I have a family too. We have 1 account which I do the logs from as I am the most obsessive-compulsive person.

Also, when we went out as a family, we took turns with the GPSr. No need for everyone to have a phone with the app.

4 people. 1 device. 1 app.

Someone who can afford four smartphones :ph34r:

This I don't understand. I have a family too. We have 1 account which I do the logs from as I am the most obsessive-compulsive person.

Also, when we went out as a family, we took turns with the GPSr. No need for everyone to have a phone with the app.

4 people. 1 device. 1 app.

Multiple purchases/devices doesn't seem odd to me. We log using a single account. The vast majority majority of caches logged were either as a group or by myself but my wife and 2 daughter's have also individually logged about 40 total caches on each of their devices. If we were using the classic app we would need to acquire it for each of the 4 devices.

Not sure how common the original poster or my matching usage occurs but I'm sure it's not just the 2 of us with a similar need.

I know one well known cacher (Kablooey)who is not a premium member and has no problems other than placing a puzzle cache too close to PMO cache because he can't see it. All this time I thought he was a PM because he finds FTFs faster then me. So you don't need to pay and play.

I know one well known cacher (Kablooey)who is not a premium member and has no problems other than placing a puzzle cache too close to PMO cache because he can't see it. All this time I thought he was a PM because he finds FTFs faster then me. So you don't need to pay and play.

+1

When we first started, the other 2/3rds in IT/IS, so able to hit a PC often, we were FTF a lot as basic members.

We actually joined PM for notifications (she was hooked). :D

There's always someone who wants everything for free.

Petrol is about the most expensive part of geocaching. I tried getting my car to be filled up for free, but they insisted I pay. Grumble grumble.

I'd take the bus but then I'd spend more in a week than a premium membership does for a whole year!

What is the world coming to?!?!

It never fails to amaze me how many people object to the membership fee or the one-time cost of a cool app to make it easier. They don't give a single thought to using a tank of gas on the weekend or stopping at $tarbuck$ or restaurants along the way. But pay $2.50 for a month's worth of subscription? Why, those dirty money-grubbing bastards!!

There's always someone who wants everything for free.

Petrol is about the most expensive part of geocaching. I tried getting my car to be filled up for free, but they insisted I pay. Grumble grumble.

I'd take the bus but then I'd spend more in a week than a premium membership does for a whole year!

What is the world coming to?!?!

It never fails to amaze me how many people object to the membership fee or the one-time cost of a cool app to make it easier. They don't give a single thought to using a tank of gas on the weekend or stopping at $tarbuck$ or restaurants along the way. But pay $2.50 for a month's worth of subscription? Why, those dirty money-grubbing bastards!!

I won't say it's a generational thing but it appears to be a modern illness of society... Have you ever looked through the feedback on the app stores (Google Play, etc)? It's amazing the venomous feedback "Can't believe I wasted my money on this!!!" that people will place for a 99c app - it seems they feel genuinely hard done by when they didn't get a lifetime of enjoyment for their <$1 investment. :)

I won't say it's a generational thing but it appears to be a modern illness of society... Have you ever looked through the feedback on the app stores (Google Play, etc)? It's amazing the venomous feedback "Can't believe I wasted my money on this!!!" that people will place for a 99c app - it seems they feel genuinely hard done by when they didn't get a lifetime of enjoyment for their <$1 investment. :)

I'd say it's more of a misunderstanding of ad-supported media and apps. We saw the same arguments about having to pay for 'free TV' over cable years ago. The current business model of using in-app ad revenues instead of purchasing apps outright strikes me as the same mentality. With so many 'free' apps, where do they get off charging for others?

I would venture to guess that a vast majority of the cachers today don't realize that this was strictly a hobby of Jeremy's for the first few years of its existence. I think that I paid for my membership the first day it was available. It probably saved me money in the beginning. How many remember when there was a Paypal Donate button on the site? How many clicked that button? I did many times. I still donate my $30 month even though I've become too lazy or something to cache. I've wondered if there would be somebody sorry enough to buy my Charter Membership if I listed it on eBay.