Distance

blueskiescindy

How far away from my home location can I place a cache? I spend a lot of time 50-70 miles from home...camping caching.

If you've found caches, and are still finding caches in the area, and can convince the Reviewer that you can perform maintenance in time*, or have a maintenance plan in place, then give it a go.

*Whilst there is no set time limit for carrying out maintenance, letting a cache go unmaintaned for several weeks/months wont look good, and will do nothing to enhance your reputation as a "Good cache owner"

Worth a read (or three!) > www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Geocache Maintenance

Owner is responsible for geocache listing maintenance.

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location.

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

The region in which a cacher is considered able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from person to person. A cacher who has previously logged caches within a wide range of their home may be considered able to maintain a geocache 200 miles (322 km) away. However, someone whose geocaching activities have primarily been within 25 miles (40 km) of home may not be able to maintain a geocache this far from home. This factor is determined at the discretion of the cache reviewer or Groundspeak.

Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, please place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while traveling. Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer. The note will auto-delete on publication.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

How far away from my home location can I place a cache? I spend a lot of time 50-70 miles from home...camping caching.

When I first started placing caches, I didn't wander much further than about 20 miles from home, because that's what I felt was a reasonable distance to check on a cache. If you spend a lot of time at this other location, you might be able to convince your local Reviewer that you can be reasonably responsive to maintenance needs. There's no hard and fast rule. It's something you'd have to discuss with the Reviewer.

One of our caches is 66 kms from our "home location". Before placing it, we had a lot of finds in the area, proving that we spent a lot of time there.

B.

It's not just a hard-wired rule on distance, but a lot depends on circumstances. For instance, I have one cache which is 70 miles from my home. It is the last one in a string of caches I placed at Interstate exits starting at about 3 miles from my home. The longest distance between caches is about 10 miles. At what point is the Reviewer going to say "No, that's too far"? 20 miles is OK but 30 is too far? 52 & 56 miles are OK but 60 is too far? (That's a rhetorical question; I'm not asking for an answer.) I have time (most of the year) to do maintenance within a couple weeks if necessary.

As long as you have a maintenance plan then I see it as fine. I have a placer near me who's placed caches all over the UK, Channel Islands and more.

Also, when you're placing a cache, if you enter the coordinates wrong a box pops up saying "This location is pretty far away. Geocaches require routine maintenance, which is why we recommend placing within an easy drive from your home coordinates". That is when I would draw a line on it, even if I had a maintenance plan.

Ed/MCC B)

While the "distance rule" makes a lot of sense for the "average cacher" if you actually do maintenance on a regularly scheduled basis you should be able to place a cache pretty much where ever you want assuming that you have a history of maintaining your caches in a timely fashion and a maintenance plan for caches you can't get to within a couple of weeks. In practical terms, this means if you have a cache a few hundred or thousand miles away you have a deal with a local cacher to respond to NM logs. Including the plan in your note to the reviewer at the time of placement with smooth the approval process. (By "average cacher" I refer to the unfortunate fact that the most common number of Owner Maintenance logs per cache is zero and that most caches are archived by the Reviewer, not the CO)

edexter

Edited by edexter