new dashboard

can't find how to filter finds on new dashboard.

If you select "Logs", you're taken to a page of your logs with the usual links to select "Found It", "Didn't Find It", etc. Is that what you're looking for?

be10fee4-438b-4eb2-99e1-6aac91afcecb.jpg

I assumed the OP was asking about the "Search for Geocaches" box with the "near your home location" and "filter out finds" link. I probably use that "filter out finds" link more than any other from my profile page.

I assumed the OP was asking about the "Search for Geocaches" box with the "near your home location" and "filter out finds" link. I probably use that "filter out finds" link more than any other from my profile page.

ahh... this (right side). There doesn't seem to be a search at all. I guess the assumption is you search from the main page and set a filter there. But this is more steps.

691a69b1-5f15-4a7d-8e44-274a8a37295d.png

ahh... this (right side). There doesn't seem to be a search at all. I guess the assumption is you search from the main page and set a filter there. But this is more steps.

I use the "filter out finds" many times per surfing session. Hopefully they'll leave it in, or at least make it not too inconvenient to get to.

Yes. Thanks for capturing the image.

To get a list of caches one hasn't found near your home location, using the old Dashboard,

1. click on the "Filter out Finds" link.

To get a list of caches one hasn't found near your home location, using the new Dashboard

1. Click on the "Play"

2. Select "Find a Geocache"

3. Click in the search box.

4. Click "Use My Home Location"

5. Click "Change Filters"

6. Click "I Haven't Found"

7. Click "Update Search"

If you want to see any caches more than 10 miles from your home location you'll also need to enter a large value into the search radius box.

To get a list of caches one hasn't found near your home location, using the old Dashboard,

To get a list of caches one hasn't found near your home location, using the new Dashboard

1. Click on the "Play"

7. Click "Update Search"

If you want to see any caches more than 10 miles from your home location you'll also need to enter a large value into the search radius box.

They appear to be going out of their way to make things more convenient, eh?

The new method is a PiTA... I'd suggest that anyone that doesn't want to go through the above bookmark the URL generated by the above search filter. That way it's an easy click or two rather than 7.

I'd suggest that anyone that doesn't want to go through the above bookmark the URL generated by the above search filter.

That's been my "Start Page" for years. I'm only a little nervous that all the links to that "Old Search" page are being retired. :ph34r:

I'm hoping that they keep the convenient / often used activities as savable URLs.

I've the next few weeks I've got to revamp my caching web page to include all the things that look like they're doing away with.

Eventually I will probably (well, hopefully) never have to go to the dashboard or profile pages as a starting point for a day of caching.

The new method is a PiTA... I'd suggest that anyone that doesn't want to go through the above bookmark the URL generated by the above search filter. That way it's an easy click or two rather than 7.

It's the weirdest thing about all these changes, and this is just one example. Normally, I just want the map, so for a while, I ignored that "Filter out finds" link. Then I tried it, and discovered that it's quite a bit more useful than I expected. "Wow!" I thought, "These guys really know what they're doing! I never would have thought a link like that would be so handy." In the last few months, time after time, things that originally puzzled me about geocaching.com, but that I eventually realized were highly logical, are now being eliminated. Examples are in all kinds of different places, from eliminating NMs, to eliminating the cache list snapshot in the news letter, to lists that are confused about what "near you" means.

What's really frustrating is that they're so earnest about and focused on modernizing the web site, so when people complain, they think it's just people complaining about change in general. But what I see is that the original website was put together with a real love and understanding of geocaching that went far beyond what a casual geocacher could understand, but now they've turned it over to software developers that don't have that deep understanding. Bringing in the software developers was a good idea -- although I've always been more amused that annoyed by the lovable quirks in the interface that seemed as if it was put together by amateurs -- but if I have to choose between love of the subject and technical brilliance, I think I'd rather have the love. But better would be them working together.

1. Click on the "Play"

7. Click "Update Search"

Am I the only one who just uses the map for this? Bookmark...one click.

It's the weirdest thing about all these changes, and this is just one example. Normally, I just want the map, so for a while, I ignored that "Filter out finds" link. Then I tried it, and discovered that it's quite a bit more useful than I expected. "Wow!" I thought, "These guys really know what they're doing! I never would have thought a link like that would be so handy." In the last few months, time after time, things that originally puzzled me about geocaching.com, but that I eventually realized were highly logical, are now being eliminated. Examples are in all kinds of different places, from eliminating NMs, to eliminating the cache list snapshot in the news letter, to lists that are confused about what "near you" means.

What's really frustrating is that they're so earnest about and focused on modernizing the web site, so when people complain, they think it's just people complaining about change in general. But what I see is that the original website was put together with a real love and understanding of geocaching that went far beyond what a casual geocacher could understand, but now they've turned it over to software developers that don't have that deep understanding. Bringing in the software developers was a good idea -- although I've always been more amused that annoyed by the lovable quirks in the interface that seemed as if it was put together by amateurs -- but if I have to choose between love of the subject and technical brilliance, I think I'd rather have the love. But better would be them working together.

I don't think I've seen it articulated as well before. Good observation and assembling it into telling words.

I generally have put it down to "keeping up with the Jonses", as in, everyone else is redoing their pages in Lean Style or some other malarky, so we've got to do that, too. I'm certain if I pulled out my old Dilbert books I could find a few references to this kind of thing as ordered by the PHB (or his superior) "CHANGE ALL OF OUR INTERFACES SO OUR CUSTOMERS RIOT! WITH THE PUBLICITY WE GAIN IN THE NEWS OUR PRODUCT WILL BE SEEN BY THE MASSES!"

It seems to speak to a degree of daftness, discounted valuation placed upon interfaces familiar to millions of players. I'm not alone in grumbling about it and it seems to me the best advertising is by word of mouth, but what value do they gain by fostering discontent among established players? Are we as likely to introduce new players to a game where the changes are making us unhappy?

"You'd really like playing 'Find The Box In The Woods', but the company have made me irritable lately with their new emphasis on interface changes. You may find your tolerance for cutesy severely tested."

1. Click on the "Play"

7. Click "Update Search"

Not sure if it's just me, but I personally prefer to see cache icons on a map - rather than just a listing.

I've never used the "Filter out Finds" link on the Dashboard page before, but decided to try it tonight to see what others are referring to. It produces a nice list of nearby caches I haven't found, but then I don't see a way to view those caches on a map. Am I missing something?

Personally, my primary method of going to any specific pages on geocaching.com is to start typing the url in the address bar (fi -> field notes, ma -> map page, li -> lists page, etc) and the geocaching.com page I want usually shows up as the first option in the address history. With all the changes being made to the site, I'm just glad that url's haven't started changing. :ph34r:

[...]

7. Click "Update Search"

[...] Am I missing something?

[...]

Yes. Points 5 to 7

Hans

No, points 5-7 are not available after clicking on the "Filter out finds" link. Try it. That link goes to a list of caches. From that page, there is no easy way to see that list on a map.

I know how to view unfound caches via the Advanced Search, and via the Browsing Map. I specifically asked about using the "Filter out Finds" link.

No, points 5-7 are not available after clicking on the "Filter out finds" link. Try it. That link goes to a list of caches. From that page, there is no easy way to see that list on a map.

I know how to view unfound caches via the Advanced Search, and via the Browsing Map. I specifically asked about using the "Filter out Finds" link.

True. You can click to map from that list, but the map then includes the finds.

Not sure if it's just me, but I personally prefer to see cache icons on a map - rather than just a listing.

The map is very useful when I'm looking for caches based on where they are, but when I'm looking for a cache and I don't know where it is, the list is useful.

[...]

7. Click "Update Search"

[...] Am I missing something?

[...]

Yes. Points 5 to 7

Hans

I'm not following your question. Are you talking old or new interface?

On the old interface, clicking on "filter your finds" returns a list of caches with a "map this location" link next to it.

I don't see a "filter finds" on the new interface. :mad:

On the old interface, clicking on "filter your finds" returns a list of caches with a "map this location" link next to it.

On the old interface that is true, however:

- clicking on "filter your finds" returns a list of caches with a "map this location" link next to it.

- clicking on that "map this location" link gives you the map of caches WITHOUT YOUR FINDS FILTERED.

New dashboard doesn't have the "filter your finds" link at all.

So, if you want a list of filtered caches near you, the old dashboard has that. The new doesn't. (New you need to use the main search, and this takes more clicks).

But if you want a map with finds filtered out, I don't see how you do that from the old dashboard.

Is there any way to increase the data density of the new dashboard?

I can see how the design of the new dashboard would be more friendly for fat fingers to navigate on tiny touchscreens, but it seems awfully ham-fisted for a larger display with a fine-scale pointing device.

Would it be possible to keep the old dashboard around as an option for those of us who prefer lots of information on a large display, while offering the new dashboard for mobiles? I find the old dashboard to be extremely useful for navigating around, checking and correcting my recent activities and entries.

I can see the direction the new dashboard is taking and it looks fine for that arena.

I would dearly miss the old dashboard, though.

Yup.

http://coord.info/map?ll=##.#####,##.#####&z=12

Insert center coordinates. Boom. (though admittedly this is for more heavy searching of nearby areas starting with all active caches; but other querystring options could be added - that or bookmark a PQ map preview URL - I do this with a PQ for nearby unfound/FTFable caches)

But, it took time before realizing that, and getting to that point, and it's the flexibility that allowed it. If the web provides easy means to useful features, that should do what it intends to do, instead of just saying 'but users will find a way around it so let's forget about providing it ourselves'. That leads to everyone using everything but what you provide :P

Something as simple as a link should be something easily considered for inclusion.

Edited by thebruce0

Yup.

http://coord.info/map?ll=##.#####,##.#####&z=12

Insert center coordinates. Boom. (though admittedly this is for more heavy searching of nearby areas starting with all active caches; but other querystring options could be added - that or bookmark a PQ map preview URL - I do this with a PQ for nearby unfound/FTFable caches)

The bookmark URL I use to get unfound caches within 10 miles of home (replace red chars with home coords):

//www.geocaching.com/play/search?origin=N+47%c2%b0+xx.xxx%27+W+122%c2%b0+xx.xxx%27&f=2

Within 20 miles:

//www.geocaching.com/play/search?origin=N+47%c2%b0+xx.xxx%27+W+122%c2%b0+xx.xxx%27&f=2&radius=20mi

Edited by noncentric

Nice. The other reason I like the non-specific querystring is that it's the full map, just centered on home. You can easily turn off found/owned caches (and the types), and still scroll all over the world if exploring. But like I said, that was mainly for my more extensive desktop use sessions :)

I'm glad for the features and parameters that are querystring friendly. Even bookmarking the link to directly download PQ zips (which I realize was for automated GPS device population "back in the day" :P)

Anyway, yeah, having these 'shortcut' links in the dashboard is definnitely helpful, and not at all redundant just because someone can manually bookmark pages, or one can eventually get there via main site navigating. That's why they're shortcuts ph34r.gif

redsox_mark summed it up well. I was trying to understand the value of the "filter out finds" link that is on the old dashboard. There isn't an 'easy' way to view that list of unfound caches on a map. As redsox_mark mentioned, you can can click on the "map this location" link, but that is a map around your home coords with both found and unfound caches. It's not a map of just the unfound caches in the list.

- clicking on "filter your finds" returns a list of caches with a "map this location" link next to it.

- clicking on that "map this location" link gives you the map of caches WITHOUT YOUR FINDS FILTERED.

So, if you want a list of filtered caches near you, the old dashboard has that. The new doesn't. (New you need to use the main search, and this takes more clicks).

But if you want a map with finds filtered out, I don't see how you do that from the old dashboard.

+1

Your last sentence makes me wonder how often the "filter out finds" link is really used. I can understand users wanting the map icon, so they don't have to go to Play -> View Geocache Map, but the "filter out finds" link doesn't seem as critical IMHO.

Anyway, yeah, having these 'shortcut' links in the dashboard is definnitely helpful, and not at all redundant

My favorite thing about the shortcut link I posted is that I can create separate links for different places that I frequent. Like 'unfound near xxx's house'. Although I feel like I have too many geocaching.com bookmarks right now and I should clean up my list a bit. :blink:

I rely on Geosphere if I ever want to see a map of all my found caches - both archived and active (and with a snappy interface). I just don't see there's any way using the website currently to see that query on the map. GSAK yep, but it's just not as quick to use as Geosphere (maybe that's due to my computer though :P).

redsox_mark summed it up well. I was trying to understand the value of the "filter out finds" link that is on the old dashboard. There isn't an 'easy' way to view that list of unfound caches on a map. As redsox_mark mentioned, you can can click on the "map this location" link, but that is a map around your home coords with both found and unfound caches. It's not a map of just the unfound caches in the list.

+1

Your last sentence makes me wonder how often the "filter out finds" link is really used. I can understand users wanting the map icon, so they don't have to go to Play -> View Geocache Map, but the "filter out finds" link doesn't seem as critical IMHO.

There are lots of ways to search for caches, but the easiest (for me) way to get a list of caches relative to my home coordinates that I have not found is a simple, one-click link. A long time local geocacher was just asking about it in a regional Geocaching FB group. There have also been some discussion about the inclusion of friends activity overwhelming our profile pages. Several people have asked others in the group to turn off "Show my recent logs on my friends' activity feeds" and most are complying.

+1

To be honest, I could swear that the "map this location" after "filter finds" used to show a map with your finds filtered. I just tried it and you're correct, the finds are shown. That has to be a recently implemented GS "feature."

But on the side bar of that map, you (well, limited to PMs I believe) can deselect your finds, your hides, and any other cache types.

So yes, they're apparently shown on the map by default, but they're easily turned off...

I'm hoping that GS will put the "filter finds" on the new dashboard.

+1

There are lots of ways to search for caches, but the easiest (for me) way to get a list of caches relative to my home coordinates that I have not found is a simple, one-click link. A long time local geocacher was just asking about it in a regional Geocaching FB group. There have also been some discussion about the inclusion of friends activity overwhelming our profile pages. Several people have asked others in the group to turn off "Show my recent logs on my friends' activity feeds" and most are complying.

It appears they are trying for a 'social media' type profile page, not a 'get anything done' page.

...Your last sentence makes me wonder how often the "filter out finds" link is really used. I can understand users wanting the map icon, so they don't have to go to Play -> View Geocache Map, but the "filter out finds" link doesn't seem as critical IMHO.

I use "Filter out Finds" in Search for geocaches a lot, simply because I know my area well. :)

I use a map mostly when out of my area, and then I'm only looking for large areas of green, with few roads.

+1

It appears they are trying for a 'social media' type profile page, not a 'get anything done' page.

That's what I was thinking... in my opinion, we don't need a FB type page. If you want FB, go to FB... I go to GC to find caches and the forums to stir up discontent...

That's what I was thinking... in my opinion, we don't need a FB type page. If you want FB, go to FB... I go to GC to find caches and the forums to stir up discontent...

I agree (except the stiring discontent, TPTB seem to do that by themselnes...). It would be nice if they'd let the sections be user defined for content.

+1

To be honest, I could swear that the "map this location" after "filter finds" used to show a map with your finds filtered. I just tried it and you're correct, the finds are shown. That has to be a recently implemented GS "feature."

But on the side bar of that map, you (well, limited to PMs I believe) can deselect your finds, your hides, and any other cache types.

So yes, they're apparently shown on the map by default, but they're easily turned off...

I'm hoping that GS will put the "filter finds" on the new dashboard.

Hmm... I just found where the "filter finds" link is. On the left side of the Dashboard, under "Geocaches" is a link to "Recently Viewed" (which seems redundent, as those are right in your face on the Dashboard). Click that and right up on top is a "Log a cache" box with the search links underneath. That whole page doesn't make sense to me as it is duplicationg what's on the Dashboard (aside from the "missing" links).

Hmm... I just found where the "filter finds" link is. On the left side of the Dashboard, under "Geocaches" is a link to "Recently Viewed" (which seems redundent, as those are right in your face on the Dashboard). Click that and right up on top is a "Log a cache" box with the search links underneath. That whole page doesn't make sense to me as it is duplicationg what's on the Dashboard (aside from the "missing" links).

Well done.. would not think to look there!

Ahhh! The "filter finds" is a D4!

We should get smileys for finding needed links in the new setup! :mad:

Well done.. would not think to look there!

Okay, who would have thought.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=342596&view=getnewpost

Yes, that was one of my top click locations. I used it for the quick lunch grab (which I do most days) and I want the one(s) closest to 'home' (which is really my office).

I already made a browser shortcut straight to the list as discussed above. Then I get there directly and don't even need the dashboard.