Deleting caches from Garmin 62st

lancs-sue

Is there an easy way of deleting all the caches from my GPS? I am going to Canada and visiting HQ in Seattle and I want to delete all the caches in my GPS without restoring to factory defaults. I also cannot delete my found caches without resorting to GSAK which is very protracted.

Geocaches are GPX files, usually stored in the map \Garmin\GPX\, but not every GPX file is a geocache. Some GPX files might be saved waypoints or tracks.

Hook your 62st on a PC/Mac, go to that map and delete all appropriate GPX files.

If you use a Mac, don't forget to empty the Recycle Bin before you disconnect.

Edited by StefandD
  • Upvote 1

Depending on how the caches got onto your device in the first place, reloading from a filtered list in GSAK would be the easiest way IMO.

Do you load your caches regularly with GSAK? If so, just create a new list with the User Flag or a different database and load only those caches. That's my regular workflow and it is slick.

To add to what StefanD said, you are probably looking for the geocaches.gpx file in the Garmin\GPX\ folder on your device. I have the 62s and believe that's the right path/file name but don't have access to it right now.

• Upvote 1

On my 62st, adding a gpx file, from GSAK, whether one cache or 6,000, the previous gpx file gets deleted. That is, all previous caches loaded get deleted. It doesn't affect waypoints I mark. GSAK isn't protracted for me. A click of one button, a preset macro, loads my entire database in seconds. Although my 62 series GPSr is much more advanced than my previous unit in the 60 series, deleting caches, or any waypoint on the old one was much easier where you could manually delete one or all.

• Upvote 1

On my 62st, adding a gpx file, from GSAK, whether one cache or 6,000, the previous gpx file gets deleted. That is, all previous caches loaded get deleted. It doesn't affect waypoints I mark. GSAK isn't protracted for me. A click of one button, a preset macro, loads my entire database in seconds. Although my 62 series GPSr is much more advanced than my previous unit in the 60 series, deleting caches, or any waypoint on the old one was much easier where you could manually delete one or all.

Likely because you have GSAK set to name your geocache gpx the same file name every time and to overwrite the existing file name when exporting new gpx files to your Garmin. Your GPSr names the waypoint files it creates differently, so GSAK doesn't affect them.

You can change the export setting in GSAK if you don't want the older gpx files deleted, or you can change the gpx file name each time to prevent overwriting, for what it's worth.

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 1