deleting caches in a nuvi2595lmt

I spent a lot of time deleting old caches from my nuvi 2595 LMT, (and it's not an easy task). Then, I loaded four new caches into the nuvi and to my horror, discovered that ALL of the old caches that I spent so much time deleting, showed up in the nuvi again. I can't begin to tell you how angry and frustrated I am right now.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and tell me how to delete old stuff for good?

Thanks,

Satch

Here's what's happening:

I MANUALLY (NOT through the computer) delete caches from my nuvi and they appear to be gone; however, when I load another new cache, all the old ones that I previously deleted come back.

NOTE: If I look at the GPX file thru the computer I do not see the caches that I deleted. I only see them on the nuvi screen itself.

Any ideas????

PS: The reason I manually delete the old ones is because they do not appear in the GPX file on the computer. Whenever caches are loaded by Pocket Query ALL of those caches appear as one entry.

Satch

It sounds like you have some old .gpx files on the nuvi itself or the SD card. This will cause the contents of the .GPX files to be reimported after deleting the caches via the nuvi menu. So you need to delete the old GPX files first, then remove the unwanted items with the nuvi menu.

Nuvis are a bit special in the way they handle GPX files and user waypoints. Unlike handhelds, the waypoints aren't stored as GPX files, but rather in a separate database. The resulting behavior is that the Nuvi will read a GPX file that you load onto it and transfer the waypoint contents to the database, but deleting the gpx file does not delete the waypoint from the database. Nor does removing the waypoint via Basecamp or some other GPS data management software. It is for this reason that we recommend that geocaches get loaded as POIs.

I know there are plenty of people who geocache successfully with a Nuvi, but they really are a pain in the a**. Depending on your handheld GPS, it might be easier to load a routable map and use that to get driving directions to your cache or parking coordinates, or use your phone as a navigation device while in the car.

Here's what's happening:

I MANUALLY (NOT through the computer) delete caches from my nuvi and they appear to be gone; however, when I load another new cache, all the old ones that I previously deleted come back.

Browsing the Interwebs, I've found references to other places the caches may hide, including a "temp.gpx" file. The POIs would be rebuilt once the device finds the data again.

Are you OK with doing a factory reset? That would wipe them out:

There are threads online for backing up a Nuvi, which would be good to do before deleting many files. If you can find a POI manager for your OS, maybe that can remove individually selected POIs for you.

Here's what's happening:

Browsing the Interwebs, I've found references to other places the caches may hide, including a "temp.gpx" file. The POIs would be rebuilt once the device finds the data again.

There are threads online for backing up a Nuvi, which would be good to do before deleting many files. If you can find a POI manager for your OS, maybe that can remove individually selected POIs for you.

Thank You to all who have replied. I think the easiest option for me is to do a Factory Reset as mentioned by kunarion. I don't have any locations stored in my nuvi that I can't drive to without using it and I mainly use the nuvi for Geocaching. I'm a slow, relaxed Geocacher so I can easily load the few that I'm seeking for the next few days. I don't need a bunch in there at one time. Also, I use iCaching and it's easy to load caches using that app. A special thanks to kunarion.

Satch

Here's what's happening:

Thank You to all who have replied. I think the easiest option for me is to do a Factory Reset as mentioned by kunarion. I don't have any locations stored in my nuvi that I can't drive to without using it and I mainly use the nuvi for Geocaching. I'm a slow, relaxed Geocacher so I can easily load the few that I'm seeking for the next few days. I don't need a bunch in there at one time. Also, I use iCaching and it's easy to load caches using that app. A special thanks to kunarion.

Satch

If you have stray GPX files (like temp.gpx) on your device, a factory reset will not help as it does not delete the GPX files. So the same favorites/saved placed in those GPX files will just be reimported. You need to find and delete those GPX files first, then do the factory reset.

If you have stray GPX files (like temp.gpx) on your device, a factory reset will not help as it does not delete the GPX files. So the same favorites/saved placed in those GPX files will just be reimported. You need to find and delete those GPX files first, then do the factory reset.

Then that's no good. The OP is back to finding and eliminating any stray GPX files that have the caches, and then doing whatever to delete the POIs.

I know of a couple of programs for Windows that might be able to handle that in a more automated way. But I don't know about Mac.

Edited by kunarion

alandb is right. I just tried to do a factory reset and all of the caches are still there. The only thing it managed to do was set my home location from Odenton, Maryland to Chicago, Illinois.... UGH! After I reset my home location I still see all the old geocaches.

Did you empty the trash as requested? A factory reset does not delete GPX file, so is not a solution.

I did empty the trash but that should have nothing to do with the deleted caches reloading since I manually deleted them thru the nuvi itself and not my computer.

I did empty the trash but that should have nothing to do with the deleted caches reloading since I manually deleted them thru the nuvi itself and not my computer.

MACs store the trash on the device itself. When the GPS boots, it is able to find the GPX files that are in the trash folder and it loads them to internal memory.

Manually deleting the caches on the device does not remove them. You must ALSO delete all GPX files related to those caches with the Nuvi connected to a computer. If you are on a MAC, you must then empty the trash. Make sure that you look on an installed microSD card as well for GPX files if it exists. You need to search all directories for GPX files, not only the obvious ones.

MACs store the trash on the device itself. When the GPS boots, it is able to find the GPX files that are in the trash folder and it loads them to internal memory.

Manually deleting the caches on the device does not remove them. You must ALSO delete all GPX files related to those caches with the Nuvi connected to a computer. If you are on a MAC, you must then empty the trash. Make sure that you look on an installed microSD card as well for GPX files if it exists. You need to search all directories for GPX files, not only the obvious ones.

Thanks Red90. I'll see what I can do but my computer skills are limited. BTW, When I plug in my nuvi to my computer (MAC) and look through "Finder" at what is on the nuvi in the GPX folder it only shows about twenty of the most recent caches loaded. So I guess the old ones are hiding on my computer somewhere.

UPDATE: I opened "Finder" and while my nuvi was connected, I searched, using the Search Box, for a number of caches the I knew were deleted and even for some the I am currently looking for (are loaded) and the search results found none. However, when I did a 'Test' searched for ones that were in the nuvi GPX folder it found them.

Edited by Satch47

I may have found the problem. I use the app "iCaching" which is great, I love it. However, it creates a Caches Found folder. This is where the nuvi could be finding and reloading the deleted caches from. So to test; I deleted two of the caches from the "Found" folder emptied the trash can and then uploaded a new cache. So far the two old ones that I deleted from iCaching and the nuvi have not reappeared.... :)