Old Logs have dissappeared

I have been caching for about 13 years now, and put my first cache out in 2005. I have gradually come to realise that some of my earlier finds are no longer credited to me, although they were a few years ago. There are about 150 caches that I once found and logged, but they no longer appear on my records as found by me. Does anyone have any idea why this should have happened. It is not too big a deal to me, but it is very puzzling.

I have been caching for about 13 years now, and put my first cache out in 2005. I have gradually come to realise that some of my earlier finds are no longer credited to me, although they were a few years ago. There are about 150 caches that I once found and logged, but they no longer appear on my records as found by me. Does anyone have any idea why this should have happened. It is not too big a deal to me, but it is very puzzling.

So about half your logged Finds have disappeared? You said you came to realize this "gradually" so I'm guessing they disappeared gradually, not all 150 at once?

Edit: Interesting--project-gc shows 149 Finds, 90 without including Archived. Almost all in the UK but a few in the USA.

Edited by NanCycle

Are you referring to the map, with smiley faces disappearing?

Caches that have been archived (de-listed from the site, say because they've disappeared) will no longer show on the map, but they'll still be a part of your record.

If that's not the case, hmm... As Keystone suggested, a GC code or two would help a lot. (He has extra powers, can see through walls and deep into history, that kind of thing.)

For various reasons we have had a break from looking for caches, but have started to take it up again because the Grandchildren seem to be getting hooked on the fun of it. As I said in my original post, it is not of any great importance to us, but we do seem to come across cache listings that we can remember getting, but are not now credited with, and just wondered why. Looking at caches in our nearby area we can remember finding GC66AJC with 1 grandchild a while ago, and also GC4JP52 with 2 grandchildren a couple of years ago. Not wishing to make a meal out of it, but was just curious as to what had happened.

Looking at caches in our nearby area we can remember finding GC66AJC with 1 grandchild a while ago, and also GC4JP52 with 2 grandchildren a couple of years ago.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the first one you mentioned is in Ontario, Canada and the second is in France. You're positive you found and logged caches in those countries? If so, then there's definitely something going wrong, because your stats only show finds in the UK and the US states of Texas and Wyoming.

For various reasons we have had a break from looking for caches, but have started to take it up again because the Grandchildren seem to be getting hooked on the fun of it. As I said in my original post, it is not of any great importance to us, but we do seem to come across cache listings that we can remember getting, but are not now credited with, and just wondered why. Looking at caches in our nearby area we can remember finding GC66AJC with 1 grandchild a while ago, and also GC4JP52 with 2 grandchildren a couple of years ago. Not wishing to make a meal out of it, but was just curious as to what had happened.

You might want to check those GC codes, as the two that you posted are not ones that you've logged finds for, and they don't seem to be in countries where you have any finds.

https://coord.info/GC66AJC Peanut Line Yellow

Ontario, Canada

https://coord.info/GC4JP52 La Petite maison dans la prairie #2 - IGD 2013

France

Your GS profile shows that you have 154 finds and 2 hides. (All your finds are listed in your profile, including any that have been archived.)

Are you saying that you think you should have something in the range of 300 finds?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

As Keystone suggested, a GC code or two would help a lot. (He has extra powers, can see through walls and deep into history, that kind of thing.)

9f52bce3-03d6-4fa8-921c-4beae2483037.jpg

Unfortunately, due to some defective "beta" code that was released by Geocaching HQ when upgrading my reviewer powers, it turns out that I can see through Tim, but I cannot see through time. And let me tell you, there are some things that you just can't un-see.

So, I clicked on a feedback link, and shared a screenshot of Tim's insides. A very helpful Lackey wrote back quite quickly, saying "Thank you for your feedback! Your patience is appreciated while we introduce our new reviewer experience over the coming months. We will take your suggestions into consideration when prioritizing feature upgrades in future releases."

The OP has no logs on either of these caches, either active or archived. (When logs are deleted by the log owner, the cache owner, a reviewer or Geocaching HQ, they are still viewable in an administrative page, which reviewers can see.)

I'm sorry, I don't know where I got those 2 GC codes from. The Caches I meant to refer to were GC66ACJ (Ivy Post) and GC4JP5Z (Slow slow Bridge over speed). Looking at the comment from Hzoi, I think he might probably be correct in his assumption that I may have initially used a different account name a number of years ago. Thats probably why so many of my older ones seem to have gone missing. Thanks for all your efforts - I think the problem is answered. Regards - Jack

I'm sorry, I don't know where I got those 2 GC codes from. The Caches I meant to refer to were GC66ACJ (Ivy Post) and GC4JP5Z (Slow slow Bridge over speed). Looking at the comment from Hzoi, I think he might probably be correct in his assumption that I may have initially used a different account name a number of years ago. Thats probably why so many of my older ones seem to have gone missing. Thanks for all your efforts - I think the problem is answered. Regards - Jack

If this is the case, then i'd bet you could contact Groundspeak to see about merging all your stats into one account. That would certainly help to see where you have been. It would probably be cool to reread some of your old logs as well.

If this is the case, then i'd bet you could contact Groundspeak to see about merging all your stats into one account. That would certainly help to see where you have been. It would probably be cool to reread some of your old logs as well.

Or...

You could go and re-log your old finds with your new account, if doing that log them with the original find date, and say in your log something like "re-logging this under my new account as I nolonger have access to the xxxxxx account." similar to what people do when they split up a team.

MartyBartfast gives good advice. As documented in this Help Center article, there is no method available for merging two accounts.

There are several methods for re-logging finds efficiently. Let us know if you'd like some tips. We would need to know whether you have access to the old account (i.e., you know the password and can login).

I thought i had read of instances in the past where Groundspeak helped cachers when they changed names. Seemed like they did the legwork by moving stats from the old account name to the new. Not sure why it would be so hard to do but i guess it's not something GS wants to tackle. Sorry for the bad suggestion.

As Keystone suggested, a GC code or two would help a lot. (He has extra powers, can see through walls and deep into history, that kind of thing.)

9f52bce3-03d6-4fa8-921c-4beae2483037.jpg

Unfortunately, due to some defective "beta" code that was released by Geocaching HQ when upgrading my reviewer powers, it turns out that I can see through Tim, but I cannot see through time. And let me tell you, there are some things that you just can't un-see.

So, I clicked on a feedback link, and shared a screenshot of Tim's insides. A very helpful Lackey wrote back quite quickly, saying "Thank you for your feedback! Your patience is appreciated while we introduce our new reviewer experience over the coming months. We will take your suggestions into consideration when prioritizing feature upgrades in future releases."

I bet Tim's not happy about it, either. Just look at him, he was grumpy already.

monty-python-tim-the-enchanter-costume-01.jpg