Spokane Cache Machine

travisl

Thanks so much MarinerBC, you are the best!! I'm looking forward to my first Wine Gum fix in almost a year. I'll have to come up with some Montana specialty to bring you--but I promise, no Rocky Mountain Oysters. icon_biggrin.gif They're about as chewy, but not nearly as flavorful as Wine Gums. --Peggy

quote:
Originally posted by leonata:

but I promise, no Rocky Mountain Oysters. icon_biggrin.gif They're about as chewy, but not nearly as flavorful as Wine Gums. --Peggy

Oooo boy, Rocky Mountain Oysters...living where I do, that conjures up some really unappetizing visuals... icon_eek.gif Sorry, couldn't resist a little joke icon_biggrin.gif

Cacherunner has gone down to Ye Olde English Sweet Shoppe to make sure they have them. She may be MIA for a while if she discovers all the other British Candy in there.

globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

[This message was edited by marinerBC on August 18, 2003 at 07:33 AM.]

quote:
Oooo boy, Rocky Mountain Oysters...living where I do, that conjures up some really unappetizing visuals... Sorry, couldn't resist a little joke

And that's exactly what should come to mind! I've tried them, though some anatomical structures were probably never meant to be eaten. Oh well, I've always functioned on the philosophy that I'll try anything twice, and more if I like it. [icon_biggrin.gif]

I'm definitely going to have to check out that English sweet shop next time I'm in Victoria. Thanks again, Peggy

Pepper, Wienerdog, LucyandRicky, Travis!!... where are we staying again? Travelodge? I gotta make reser bations soon...icon_smile.gifAnd I need two parking spaces for HMCS Cachecruiser. Do they charge extra for the extra dock space, and for the Suzuki swifts to use as tugs to help us berth it?

globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

Pepper, Wienerdog, LucyandRicky, Travis!!... where are we staying again? Travelodge? I gotta make reser bations soon...icon_smile.gifAnd I need two parking spaces for HMCS Cachecruiser. Do they charge extra for the extra dock space, and for the Suzuki swifts to use as tugs to help us berth it?

http://members.fortunecity.com/bbsmilies/animated/globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

BC that's a good question I'm not sure, but I do plan to make my reservation tomorrow as soon as I find out.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Travel Lodge, on Sunset. See the top of page 2 for information. Wander Lost got us a good deal. This is from her earlier post:

The group rate is set up at the Travelodge. You can make reservations by calling 509-838-1471 and saying you are with the Spokane Cache Machine group. The rate is $55 per night and that is an upgraded room. From what I can tell the upgraded rooms are just a bit larger.

There is a deal on hotels.com where you get the rate of $63.95 & half off the 2nd night. But as it was explained to me it is 1/2 off the normal rate of $70.00 so it works out to be about the same.

Cin

Draft 5 is up. Also, I've changed the start point to the hotel parking lot (roughly N 47° 38.410, W 117° 28.471). The first cache sounds like a small neighborhood park, and I'm guessing the neighbors might not appreciate us hanging around for a long time. The coordinates at the top of the cache page should reflect this change soon.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Well...the big announcement, looks like at least 3 of the phatboyz will be heading over for the SCM...maybe even 4 of us icon_smile.gif I am sure this is the news everyone has been waiting for LOL. We are looking forward to some great caching and meeting a lot of you. See you there.

I haven't registered anywhere yet! Better get busy.

So sad to find out today my Brother-in-law, Sagefox, who was planning on coming to this event cannot make it. Dang. I'm going to miss him so much.

If Mr. WD comes to this we have to book a hotel that takes Wienerdogs!

I heard the Motel 8 was booked. Best we check out the other one. And soon!

The Travelodge does allow pets.

Cin, we are planning on caching our way over, but don't have details yet on when we're leaving town. Saw that new cache as well, anything with WSU catches my eye.

*** Go COUGS!! ***

40158_1200.gif I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you've heard is not what I meant. --Richard Nixon

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Wienerdog, I think that most of us are staying at the travelodge (I need to call tomorrow and make reservations). I'm bringing Jeff, so we'll have Aurie along as well. icon_smile.gif

Wander Lost, have you done any caching in the Pullman area? Jeff and I will probably spend Friday down there...maybe even head all the way to Lewiston...before driving up to Spokane for the evening get-together.

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Wander Lost, have you done any caching in the Pullman area? Jeff and I will probably spend Friday down there...maybe even head all the way to Lewiston...before driving up to Spokane for the evening get-together.

Cin

Havn't been to Pullman in maybe 10 years now. I don't think we'll be getting out of town until Friday late afternoon. Have to arrange for the boys to get to my parents house for the weekend.

40158_1200.gif I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you've heard is not what I meant. --Richard Nixon

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Actually, WanderLost did the legwork on the hotel (thanks!). On August 6, she wrote

quote:
You can make reservations by calling 509-838-1471 and saying you are with the Spokane Cache Machine group. The rate is $55 per night and that is an upgraded room. From what I can tell the upgraded rooms are just a bit larger.

There is a deal on hotels.com where you get the rate of $63.95 & half off the 2nd night. But as it was explained to me it is 1/2 off the normal rate of $70.00 so it works out to be about the same.

I figured I'd hedge my bets, and got my room through Travelodge.com with the 1/2 off special, and put ''with the Spokane Cache Machine group'' in the comments field. Maybe I'll end up with the cheapest rate that way. Maybe not. Rollin' the dice...

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Reservations made and confirmed, and they even have High Speed Internet Access. Life is good!

Maynard's wine gums located and retrieved, as well as Wuderbars. Location N48 30.334, W123. 24.885. Now what do I bribe the Customs guy with?

Ok, I weeded out even more.

I'll be alone with room for a rider if anyone needs a ride and would like go over with me Friday Morning....Hint! Hint! icon_biggrin.gif Lord knows I could use the help! icon_smile.gif However being alone, I wanted some quick easy stops.

I've reduced my list to pretty much just Rest Area / Scenic Stop caches right off the freeway. A couple of these I've already found and will skip of course. I'll probably add more to my list, and scratch a few off between now and then......

Also, for the trip back, I'm thinking about the US2 route instead of I-90 but that opens up a whole new can of worms icon_cool.gif

These first two I've already found

GC6A45 - Indian John East

GC4A43 - Indian John West (For the trip Back)

The rest....

GC18B8 - I-90 BFE (Ryegrass Eastbound)

GCCFFE - Ryegrass Relaxation (For the trip Back)

GCGT2H - Phatboyz 1/2 Way to WSU

GC9165 - I-90, Wild Stallions Ride Again

GC2188 - Quilomene Scenic View

GC708C - Babcock Bench

GCGHT9 - Creation Cache

GCEEFA - Where's George, Washington 2 - A required stop for a WheresGeorge addict!

GCF464 - I-90 (W) - Winchester Wasteway by Moun10Bike

GCFF03 - Water in the Sky II: The Two Towers

GCF8D8 - I have to go... (I-90 W)

GCF8D9 - Schrag Stroll (I-90 E) (For the trip back)

GCF8D5 - Are we there yet? (I-90 W)

GCF8D6 - Free Coffee (I-90 E) (For the trip back)

GCGEHV - The Little Park Cache

Anyone got any Must Stops? I thought about Eraseeks almost home, but it's quite a ways out of the way..... perhaps a trip up US97 on the way home? hmmmm icon_cool.gif

Shoot. We should have Travis put together a Spokane Cache Machine Trip Cache Machine icon_smile.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

*grin*

I actually did a similar route planning thing for my trip to Yakima (by way of Wenatchee), but the one other person who was going to join The1Nub and I never showed.

Looking at that route now, ''Welcome to Snoqualmie'' is still active; I mentioned ''Wonderful World''; the next two (''Peoh View'' and ''Above the Dam Lake'') are archived. By then I was in Cle Elum, and off I-90.

I'll scrape something together, although not as thought out or as clean as full Cache Machine documentation, and I'll post it here and on the SCM page. Once I get it posted, it'll be up to anyone who wants to use to to figure out if the path makes sense and if the caches are still there.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Here's a route I cobbled together in about an hour. I haven't checked to see if the caches are all still good, and I'm sure I missed some that maybe I should have added. I don't plan on updating this if anything's wrong with it, so take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Whether I'll actually try doing this route is up in the air at this point.

Your mileage may vary. Use at your own risk. Blah blah blah.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Quite a few of the caches listed on the I-90 route will require a significant chunk of time. Scoutmaster's Minute is at least a mile one-way with some elevation gain involved, so you are probably looking at at least 45 minutes for it if you include the drive to the trailhead off of the freeway. Salmon la Cache is a STEEP hill (you DON'T want to try to park on the freeway to access it!), although you could probably be in and out in a half hour. Sarah's Happy Hollow is around a mile walk one-way if you park at the trailhead, although I know that some have driven closer to the cache site and crossed over private land to get to the trail.

Ellensburg Blue Hunt is an epic multicache that would take the better park of the day (so I've heard - I haven't done it). Altapes Creek Trail and Nez Perce are accessed from the same location (Olmstead Place State Park - no driving necessary in-between), but you will have to drive side roads between Ellensburg and Kittitas to get to them and then back onto the freeway.

Taking Ad-Vantage of the Situation has been archived. Alexia's cache, like the Olmstead Place caches, is a long haul on back roads to to and back. Lastly, Line of Sight is a multi with a second stage that requires a long drive on dirt roads (another one I haven't done).

I hope that helps! Of course, people may and probably will want to do some or all of these caches on the way, but I thought I'd let you know what sort of effort they require. By the way, EraSeek's Almost Home is less of a time requirement than most all of these.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Almost Home is an easy, easy cache at a nice quiet spot...should only take a minute or two to find. It's worth the few extra miles...it's almost all paved road except for right near the cache.

I went ahead and drove some more extra miles up the Teanaway road to another cache planted by the boy scouts...can't recall the name right now, but that one was just a few hundred feet from the car...easy find...no way you can miss it when you get to the right spot. Think title comes with Troop #### or somethng like that.

I just booked two nights at the Travelodge, so I am in for SCM!!! I'm heading out Thursday night or Friday Morning heading to Pullman to visit a few friends and just to check out the changes around town. It's been two years since I have been over there and I miss that little town.

I pulled up the caches around the WSU area and there's not much in Pullman, but Moscow has a bunchl including two Webcams. I have yet to do a webcam cache.

But I will be in Spokane sometime Friday night. See you all there.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Almost Home is an easy, easy cache at a nice quiet spot...should only take a minute or two to find. It's worth the few extra miles...it's almost all paved road except for right near the cache.

Does this mean you're going to show us those quick ones along I-90 on our way to SCM, EGH? Cacherunner wants to know if she has to give up the shotgun seat, (known as "Nonviolent firearm free persuasion seat" here in Canada) or if you can just point from the back seat.

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Does this mean you're going to show us those quick ones along I-90 on our way to SCM, EGH? Cacherunner wants to know if she has to give up the shotgun seat, (known as "Nonviolent firearm free persuasion seat" here in Canada) or if you can just point from the back seat.

http://members.fortunecity.com/bbsmilies/animated/globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

Easy ot get to...no problem.

Cache Machine question: How does it work?

I guess what I am asking is "does everyone cacher sign the book? or does someone just sign Spokane Cache Machine?"

If there are 30+ people going around in a park to find a cache, and then 30+ people sign the log, we could be at a cache for 20+ minutes. In looking at the schedule, there doesn't seem to be enough time for everyone to sign the log. Do we do trades? or Travel Bugs? Isn't the whole point to find as many caches as we can and keep going? I guess I am looking for more details on how a "cache machine" works, so I can ready for it.

THANKS.

quote:
Originally posted by Kiltsurfer of Team Phatboyz:

Cache Machine question: How does it work?

I guess what I am asking is "does everyone cacher sign the book? or does someone just sign Spokane Cache Machine?"

If there are 30+ people going around in a park to find a cache, and then 30+ people sign the log, we could be at a cache for 20+ minutes. In looking at the schedule, there doesn't seem to be enough time for everyone to sign the log. Do we do trades? or Travel Bugs? Isn't the whole point to find as many caches as we can and keep going? I guess I am looking for more details on how a "cache machine" works, so I can ready for it.

THANKS.

Little if any trading is done. Everybody signs the log...a lot of us have gone to the sticker approach...quick that way. Though I still need to create my sticker.

As it usually works out, we get separated out in smaller groups so it's not as bad as you think. One drawback of being cache finder, you have to be the one to put it back after everyone signs/stickers the log.

There's a little trading, rarely. For example, I left a travel bug in ''Hello Ginger Kitty'' in Victoria, and took nothing. That was the extent of my trading for the day.

Stickers are definitely the way to go. I don't have any good photos of sticker scrums, but I do recall seeing one of these people with stickers on every one of their fingers headed for the log book.

The best stickers are no wider than narrow cache register tape (oops -- misspelled word. I'll keep it.) and about half as tall. That way, they'll fit in micros.

After the first few caches, the group tends to spread out, as some folks dart up ahead, some fall behind, some get lost, and some stop to chase loose tires down the freeway. There've been more than a few cache machine caches where it's been less than five of us finding, logging, and re-hiding the cache.

Really, the way it works best was (for example) at the Popcorn and a Movie cache. Whoever's in the lead misses the parking area. The next car follows them. The third car parks in the right spot and the occupants head to the cache, while the first two do U-turns. The fourth car parks in the right spot, and the occupants sprint past the occupants of the third car. The fifth car evilly blocks in the others. The cache is found, someone take photos of the area (wow!) and for the next three minutes, a stream of cachers head to the cache area, sticker the log book, and head back to their cars. After everyone's gone (or as soon as there's time to do so before the next cacher arrives), the finder rehides the cache as well as they found it, and returns to their car, now well behind the start of the group.

When there's a traffic jam of cacher bodies, sticker scrummage ensues.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Well, I guess I will be there by myself, as Geogirl 2288 has to march in a parade the day of the event. I have not done the fisrt dozen caches but after that it going to be hit and miss on the rest. I also planned on being there Friday and Sunday to do some caches, if any one is interested in hooking up for some caching.

Lets have fun out there, we are.

Hey George, we would be pleased to hang with you starting Thursday or Friday. I think the plan so far is to head to Spokane on Thursday, however that could change. We'll definitely be caching on Friday, and some on Sunday as well. Pick a vehicle, yours or mine! Yours is way cooler though icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Cacherunner and MBC, I was going to go over Friday morning When my daughter was going, so that I would only take her out of school for one day. So now that she is not going I'm free to go earlier. I will come over Thursday, and be there ready to go on Friday AM. As for vehicles, mine will only hold three max, and I have a floor shift, so it can be alittle cozy for the middle person. What do you have for a vehicle?

quote:
Originally posted by George501949:

Hey Cacherunner and MBC, I was going to go over Friday morning When my daughter was going, so that I would only take her out of school for one day. So now that she is not going I'm free to go earlier. I will come over Thursday, and be there ready to go on Friday AM. As for vehicles, mine will only hold three max, and I have a floor shift, so it can be alittle cozy for the middle person. What do you have for a vehicle?

I'm going to the machine with them so it looks like we'll all ride in MBCs car. Of course Wienerdog might join us as well depending on what they decide to go over.

quote:

As for vehicles, mine will only hold three max, and I have a floor shift, so it can be alittle cozy for the middle person. What do you have for a vehicle?

First, don't laugh. It's cheap to run (propane powered) and extremely reliable, seats 6 comfortably, and is a great cachecruiser. Even the A/C and power antenna still work. It's a 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham. It's comfy, and a great place to sleep. You are welcome to join us if you'd like to take only one vehicle on Thursday, George. So far just Cr, EGH! and I are aboard. What would be cool is if anyone could pass along the price of auto-propane in Washington if they happen to notice. Here it's about $1.57 US per gallon, as opposed to $2.34 to $2.58 per gallon for gasoline.

quote:

As for vehicles, mine will only hold three max, and I have a floor shift, so it can be alittle cozy for the middle person. What do you have for a vehicle?

First, don't laugh. It's cheap to run (propane powered) and extremely reliable, seats 6 comfortably, and is a great cachecruiser. Even the A/C and power antenna still work. It's a 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham. It's comfy, and a great place to sleep. You are welcome to join us if you'd like to take only one vehicle on Thursday, George. So far just Cr, EGH! and I are aboard. What would be cool is if anyone could pass along the price of auto-propane in Washington if they happen to notice. Here it's about $1.57 US per gallon, as opposed to $2.34 to $2.58 per gallon for gasoline.

We are pulling Lost One out of school Friday as well, we plan on driving over Hwy 12 from Olympia that morning. Keep your FRS's on channel 2 and if we run into you great.

If not we are planning to camp out in the hotel lounge Friday night for some socializing.

Hey on a related topic. We were talking about how a cache machine can fill up a log book pretty quickly. Especially on a micro. What would be the general feeling of finders & cache owners if we created one sticker for everyone?? It could say something like:

This Cache was found September 27, 2003 by the Spokane Cache Machine

If you think this is a good idea we'll design something and bring them along.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I'd discourage that, primarily because not everyone on a cache machine event finds the same caches -- we tend to fragment quite a bit -- so there's no way for the cache owner to later verify that I was at a specific cache if there's one global SCM sticker.

Write small; make tiny stickers.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:

MBC, I'll be driving over from Yakima, WA on thursday, so I'm thinking we can all get together on thursday night for dinner or something and plan out where we want to go on friday.

Sounds good George. We will, of course, be in touch well before next Thursday as to where we will ask for landing clearance in Seattle. We DO know that we will be on BC Ferries 7 AM sailing out of Tswassen BC, Blaine at 9:20, and North Seattle at 11:10, Washington State Troopers willing.

Ahead warp factor 5, Mr Sulu. Never mind the State Troopers.

As long as my plane arrives back in Missoula before Midnight Friday night, Dean and I will be able to make the machine! If it arrives later, we will just show up for the afternoon caches. We are looking forward to a busy day of fun. Currently planning on sharing a vehicle with Yumitori & Leonata. Really looking forward to meeting everyone.

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.