Spokane Cache Machine

travisl

If everyone is okay with the Travelodge on Sunset I'll set it up this week. It seems nice from the internet pics.

I'll give everyone 24 hrs to post another option. If nothing better can be found I'll get this set up on Wednesday.

Travis are we firm on the date of Sept. 27th now?

smile02.gif We're all here, because we're not 'all there'.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

The travelodge is fine by me. I won't know for a bit if I'll be staying there or not. It depends on whether Jeff will be with me....and whether I'm visiting friends in Pullman before or after the cache machine (if it's before, I'll probably stay with them and drive up early in the morning).

However, I'm pretty sure I'll be there at least for Saturday night. It's Friday that I won't know for a few weeks.

Cin

quote:
It's 1000 feet from Further up, Further in.

GOOD LUCK!! -- as LadyStevenson laughs like a mad scientist......

Bring your hiking shoes!! It's not a long hike but it's in some brush!! And watch out for the nettles!! icon_rolleyes.gif Moun10goat and I will just stand back and smirk as we watch all the poor cachers try to find this one.... icon_eek.gif

Are we meeting at the Travellodge and at what time?

"All that I am or hope to be I owe to my mother" -- Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Oh, one quick question -- is this a dog-friendly hotel? If Jeff does come, I'll be bringing Aurie along.

Cin

From the Hotel Web page

quote:

Amenities

Clock Radio, Coffee Maker, Hairdryer, Iron/Iron Board, Microwave, Refrigerator, Sofa Bed, Television, VCR, Work Desk, Recliner, 2 Handicap Rooms, TTY, Auxiliary Aids Available, Full American Breakfast, Free Continental Breakfast, Children's Breakfast, Copy Machine, Fax, Exercise Room, 2 Conference Rooms, 2 Hospitality Rooms, Audio Visual Equipment, Free Covered Parking, RV-Truck Parking Available, Pets Allowed, Outdoor Heated Pool, 5 Floors, 89 Rooms, Balcony's in some rooms, Ice Machine, Elevator, Electronic Locks, AAA Approved, Interior Corridors, Laundry, Non-Smoking Rooms, Suites Available, Extra Lighting, Smoke Detector, Safe Deposit Box At Front Desk, Baggage Handling, Free Newspaper, Wake Up Call System, Dry Cleaning, 24 Hr. Switchboard, Shuttle Service Hrs: 5am-11pm (every 30 Minutes, Free Toll-Free and Long Distance Access, Dataports On Phones, Message Alert, Modem Line Golf - 1 Mile, Hot Tub In Some Rooms, Hot Tub, Sauna

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Okay!

The group rate is set up at the Travelodge. You can make reservations by calling 509-838-1471 and saying you are with the Spokane Cache Machine group. The rate is $55 per night and that is an upgraded room. From what I can tell the upgraded rooms are just a bit larger.

There is a deal on hotels.com where you get the rate of $63.95 & half off the 2nd night. But as it was explained to me it is 1/2 off the normal rate of $70.00 so it works out to be about the same.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I'm happy to live in Spokane, and notice that I only have about 50-60% of those mentioned. Looks like I'll be joining.

First I'd like to say that the amount of work that has gone into this is incredible, I stand slackjawed and awed at the size of this. The map is great.

I was going through the list, getting ready to print out all 100 and I noticed that 64, 65 and 66 are near Post Falls, and don't have an associated cache? If I'm being picky on the rough draft, please feel free to tell me to get a life! Nicely?

Looking forward to meeting all of you. Unfortunately I believe my other (more beautiful) half will not be able to attend due to work schedule.

Between caches 25 and 26, we'll be crossing right in front of my house (on Monroe). Well, I always know that I can sleep in and catch you at that spot! =)

OddTodd

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

[This message was edited by Cadence (OddTodd & CheleBell) on August 06, 2003 at 05:32 PM.]

Whoa! Don't nobody go printin' nothin' yet. That map/route is just something I tossed together in about 30 minutes to get an idea as to whether a Spokane Cache Machine would be a doable event. It is, and now the feasibility route serves only to whet your appetites for the real thing.

I'll announce here and in the cache page notes when my first draft of the route is ready. Probably later this week, maybe as soon as tomorrow. At that point, I'll solicit any feedback I can get as to better parking spots, as to any roads that are closed (*cough* Riverside Park Drive *cough*), and hikes that will end up being more than ½ mile roundtrip.

At that time, cache names will be much easier for me to handle than stop numbers, since my stop numbers are constantly changing whenever I add or remove a cache from the route.

quote:
I noticed that 64, 65 and 66 are near Post Falls, and don't have an associated cache

Sometimes my software has trouble figuring out how to get to a cache, so I have to move the stop to the nearest road. Or, I'll have to move the stop to the nearest road to get the route to go to the right parking coordinates. When that happens, the draft routes say ''Near Post Falls'' or whatever village happens to be close. It's a huge hassle to change those every time (manually editing the PDF, every time), so I generally don't fix that until the end.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

So, if y'all will take a coupla rookie cachers, we'll be there the weekend of the 27th (if not earlier). We'll probably end up taking our poor little battered dollar to the Motel 6, as it's somewhat cheaper, and fairly close by to the Travelodge (I've done some homework! icon_wink.gif ). Looking forward to it! We promise not to bring any Alberta beef, but we may bring some TimBits, if they don't get stale (or eaten) along the way! icon_biggrin.gif

Real cachers don't smell like Fleecy.

quote:
Originally posted by cacherunner:

So, if y'all will take a coupla rookie cachers, we'll be there the weekend of the 27th (if not earlier). We'll probably end up taking our poor little battered dollar to the Motel 6, as it's somewhat cheaper, and fairly close by to the Travelodge (I've done some homework! icon_wink.gif ). Looking forward to it! We promise not to bring any Alberta beef, but we may bring some TimBits, if they don't get stale (or eaten) along the way! icon_biggrin.gif

Real cachers don't smell like Fleecy.

Glad to hear that you and MBC are coming!

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

Launch Control, we are go at this time. T minus 1206 hrs, 4 min. 23 seconds and counting.

How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

Cool! A Niven fan.

The sad thing is that most of our list of Spokane finds are on the east and south sides, so we still have to show up at 0-dark:30 and make sure we're still with the pack at the end as well. Ah, well. We'll enjoy watching the confusion when the Machine hits niskibum's caches in the Post Falls and Coeur d'Alene area.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
We'll enjoy watching the confusion when the Machine hits niskibum's caches in the Post Falls and Coeur d'Alene area.

Right now, that's more like ''...confusion IF the Machine hits niskibum's caches...''. I'm still working on the route, and I've heard from three different cachers that niskibum's hides are-not-to-be-missed, but I've got them scheduled so late in the day there's a significant chance we won't get out that far in time.

It's a 45 minute drive from the Travelodge to niskibum's ''Lost Hope'', so starting from Coeur d'Alene and working our way back would require hitting the road at 5:15 instead of 6:00.

Maybe I'll try shifting caches 8 through 18 to the end of the route. Maybe I'll go through the list again, and any caches that have logs mentioning the word ''hike'' I'll pull off the route.

More tweaking yet to come...

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

Right now, that's more like ''...confusion IF the Machine hits niskibum's caches...''. I'm still working on the route, and I've heard from three different cachers that niskibum's hides are-not-to-be-missed, but I've got them scheduled so late in the day there's a significant chance we won't get out that far in time.

It's a 45 minute drive from the Travelodge to niskibum's ''Lost Hope'', so starting from Coeur d'Alene and working our way back would require hitting the road at 5:15 instead of 6:00.

Lost Hope can be skipped if necessary. It's a virtual that isn't typical of his efforts. But adding PC III is highly recommended. It's worth the slight detour from the current draft route.

Ron/yumitori

---

Howdy...

You may want to tweak the route a bit around Monroe St. Bridge...I believe the bridge is still under re-construction and will be for quite a while. You have us going over it between cache#20 ..."Between Two Bridges" and cache#21..."Upper Falls".

Just some quick info...

"All that I am or hope to be I owe to my mother" -- Abraham Lincoln

Lost Hope is a good one if you are familiar with Coeur d'Alene history, but I agree with Yumitori that it is not typical of niskibum's regular incredible caches (is that an oxymoron?). You could drop it and Asphalt Forever and probably tighten up the route, as they are definitely the outliers (although easily accessed).

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

But adding PC III is highly recommended. It's worth the slight detour from the current draft route.

I would recommend against that. PCIII is a fantastic cache, but I don't think it's one suitable for having a big group descend upon at once. It's very visible on the corner of a busy intersection. I fear we would attract too much attention on this one and possibly compromise its location.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I would recommend against that. PCIII is a fantastic cache, but I don't think it's one suitable for having a big group descend upon at once. It's very visible on the corner of a busy intersection. I fear we would attract too much attention on this one and possibly compromise its location.

Unfortunately, that's essentially the case with almost any cache likely to be visited by a cache machine. By its very nature, machines focus on urban caches, and urban caches tend to use camouflage and concealment to survive. Machines can jeopardize that. We can only try to be as careful as possible.

PC III is indeed in a rather public place in our experience, but we arrived near the end of the work day on a Friday. What's the area like at, say, two in the afternoon? Is there a time that would be best?

Ron/yumitori

---

quote:

Unfortunately, that's essentially the case with almost any cache likely to be visited by a cache machine. By its very nature, machines focus on urban caches, and urban caches tend to use camouflage and concealment to survive. Machines can jeopardize that. We can only try to be as careful as possible.

That is true. However, very few of these caches are right at such a busy intersection and require quite the same steps for retrieval. (For anyone who's interested, the cache page and logs are here.) There's a difference between risking detection and lighting the cache up with neon lights. The one that I can think of that best compares to this one would be "STUMPED" in Yakima, I think. However, even that one was not as exposed as this one.

Oh well, maybe I'm just overreacting (I seem to be doing that lately! icon_smile.gif). I guess this one just worries me more than any other that we've hit on previous Cache Machines.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Oh well, maybe I'm just overreacting (I seem to be doing that lately! icon_smile.gif). I guess this one just worries me more than any other that we've hit on previous Cache Machines.

And I would like to share PC III with the coastal folks, but not at the expense of the cache. If there's a way to do both, that would be great, but you could be correct that there isn't a way to do so.

Travis' solution is probably the best - let the owner decide...

Ron/yumitori

---

quote:

And I would like to share PC III with the coastal folks, but not at the expense of the cache. If there's a way to do both, that would be great, but you could be correct that there isn't a way to do so.

Travis' solution is probably the best - let the owner decide...

My hope, of course, is that niskibum gives us the vote of approval. No guilt with hunting it then, and the Cache Machine gets to visit one of his finest pieces of work!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

yumtori said

quote:
Cool! A Niven fan.

Tanj! I've been found out! I shall hereby be known as "Speaker to Tupperware".

What's the general feeling about a 5:15 start? Sounds good to me, but....CR REALLY wants 6:30 icon_biggrin.gif

" RUN! The whole planet's full of Cecil the seasick Sea Serpents! Shut up Pierson, you're drunk."

I know we got up around 4 am for the YCM. But didn't meet at the first cache until about 5:30. I'm okay with an early start time.

By the way, we'll be driving the geovan this time so we'll have room for two more adults. If anyone want's to ride along let us know.

smile02.gif I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize thta what you've heard is not what I meant. --Richard Nixon

icon_geocachingwa.gif

My third draft will be up in a few minutes. I've unmercilessly hacked off a handful of caches (marked by ''?'' on the map) that seemed a bit too far to walk in keeping with the nature of Cache Machines.

I've got some responses to questions in this thread, then a question for locals:

Monroe St. Bridge: Thanks for the tip, LadyStevenson. I've got the route going over Howard street now.

PCIII: At the cache owners request, I'm not adding it to our route.

Coeur d'Alene Christmas: Added, along with the new 'Thanks for your support' and 'Got Fire - Need Water' caches. I'll add more as we get closer to the event.

Start time: The start time of meet-at-6:00, leave-at-6:15 is set to correspond with sunrise, since many (most?) caches are in 'daylight hours only' parks. I've been known to hit such caches outside of park hours, but I'm not gonna do so in an organized event.

Archived caches: if you know that I've got one on the route, let me know. I'll catch it in the final draft, too, but if I know now, I'll be able to plan a better route.

And, the question:

A run through Joe Albi by cougar8 Traditional Cache (1.5/1) GCG4V7: My map is showing a 0.4 mile walk, but I assume that most of this is a parking lot we can drive through. Am I right?

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:

Nope, no Tim Horton's. No Wunderbars either. icon_frown.gif

My husband (BlankJeff) is going to have fun meeting some fellow Canadians at the SCM.

Well, here are the rules, (Just ask Pepper)

1. I never say "eh?" as I really hate that. icon_smile.gif

2. I don't own a chesterfield, but I love our sofa. icon_biggrin.gif

3. I think tuques are stupid looking, but I don't have ANY hats, so... icon_mad.gif

4. I DO believe that the beaver is a truly noble animal, and that football is played with 3 downs, not four. icon_razz.gif

I think your hubby. CR and I will get along just great! And I think we can arrange some Wunderbars, amd Coffee Crisp bars...will customs let me in with them???

globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

I think your hubby. CR and I will get along just great! And I think we can arrange some Wunderbars, amd Coffee Crisp bars...will customs let me in with them???

Oh, oh, oh....you'd have a friend for life if you brought me a Wunderbar. icon_smile.gif

My family teases me because I've been picking up that tendency to say boat instead of bout....aboat, inside-oat... However, hanging around with Pepper has been bringing my western twang back.

I did catch myself saying Zed instead of Zero the other day,

Cin

quote:

Oh, oh, oh....you'd have a friend for life if you brought me a Wunderbar. icon_smile.gif

There will be a case of them waiting for you in the trunk of the cachecruiser. Now, if someone will just tell me just WHEN I'm getting to Spokane...

Wunderbar.jpgcanadabuttonT.jpg

globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

[This message was edited by marinerBC on August 13, 2003 at 11:45 AM.]

I guess I should check the forums more than every couple of months. My main concerns with PCIII are safety and parking. There aren't many places to park close by, and there is a lot of traffic, so a large group of people might be a danger. If this isn't a real problem I don't mind PCIII being included on the route. It is a log only, so if it gets plundered there won't be a big loss. I must state that this is a copy, and the real credit goes to Otis Pug, one of my favorite hiders in Cali. I have copied three of his here, just to give others a taste of his genius.

If any of my other ones are on the list that are currently off line I will make sure to have them back up by the SCM day.

Have fun. If I am not out chasing elk I will try to join you all for dinner.

quote:
I don't mind PCIII being included on the route

Cool. I'll put it back on in the next draft.

I've stopped being concerned about parking, after we had very little trouble in spots like Bremerton city hall, all through Yakima Canyon, and the streets of downtown Victoria.

Looking at aerial photos of the area, it looks like Atlas Road is pretty major, PCIII looks like it's on a main road, but there's a residential area to the west (safe to cross on foot?), and what looks like dirt roads through the area behind it. There might even be a wide shoulder on Atlas Road. I don't think parking's an issue.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

Looking at aerial photos of the area, it looks like Atlas Road is pretty major, PCIII looks like it's on a main road, but there's a residential area to the west (safe to cross on foot?), and what looks like dirt roads through the area behind it. There might even be a wide shoulder on Atlas Road. I don't think parking's an issue.

The shoulder's not that great, but we parked just inside the entrance to the residential area. Should be enough room for the group, short-term. There's a crosswalk with signals and everything, so crossing the street will be easy.

Ron/yumitori

---

I just started checking out the forums this week, and since I'm going to be at the cache machine, I've been reading through this thread. I noticed that some cachers are coming from Canada...I hope this isn't too presumptuous, but when I saw the stuff about the Wunderbars, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to bring me some Maynards Wine Gums. I fell in love with them when I lived in England as a student, and I discovered a few years ago that they could also be obtained in Canada. Montana is woefully wine-gumless. Yumitori said that if I offered to pay in "real" money, someone would surely take pity on me. icon_razz.gif (He also seems to be under the impression that his repuation is in peril now that I'm on the forums. I don't know what he means!) Any quantity that was convenient for the bearer would be sufficient. They are kind of a strange candy. I'm not sure why I like them so much--I guess it's a nostalgia thing.

quote:
Originally posted by leonata:

I noticed that some cachers are coming from Canada...I hope this isn't too presumptuous, but when I saw the stuff about the Wunderbars, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to bring me some Maynards Wine Gums.

Yumitori said that if I offered to pay in "real" money, someone would surely take pity on me. icon_razz.gif (He also seems to be under the impression that his repuation is in peril now that I'm on the forums. I don't know what he means!) Any quantity that was convenient for the bearer would be sufficient.

icon_wink.gif.

You can give Yumtori whatever form of currency you desire, even the Canadian Peso. icon_razz.gif I'll bring a few bags of winegums, and require no personal recompense.