Spokane Cache Machine

travisl

(crossposted to GeocachingWA)

It's too early to post as an event, but some of you may want to mark your calendars. Saturday, October 4 is the date I'm aiming for. Watch this thread for more details.

My unchecked, unverified, unreliable, untrustworthy route feasability check is available through my Yahoo site. I already see things wrong with it (like turning off of I-90 at a non-exit), but it tells me enough to know that another crazy day of caching is possible.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Darn it! We've been wanting a chance to participate in a cache maching after hearing about them from Yumitori & Leonata, but the timing coincides with a previously planned vacation! Good luck and have fun to all who participate.

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

A cache machine in a town with family crash space and only a short drive from Missoula?

We may already have most of the caches on the list under our belts by then, but Peggy and I will be there, no question.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

Great! Thanks Jeremy, for letting us continue to use Groundspeak to post the Cache Machines. I want to go of course.

Criminal, why don't you come with us. We will have fun. I haven't got to meet you yet! I did a couple of your caches last summer.

John (Evergreenhiker!) my caching bud. You are so funny. I remember when fishing season started, now backbacking season and hunting coming up in the fall. For some silly reason you just keep on caching. icon_wink.gif

Pepper, I'm not suprised to see your post already! Cin? Do you get to come this time?

Oh boy, I better slow down here. Just happy to see the post! Thanks Travis. icon_biggrin.gif

I was just checking on some hotels in Spokane. I don't want to Motel6 it again. icon_frown.gif

I've talked to the hotel my company's sales reps stay at when in Spokane and they will give us a group rate. It's the Best Western Thunderbird Inn, they are located near the intersection of Hwy 2 & I-90. My rep said it was comfortable, centrally located and reasonably priced.

The reservation guy I talked with indicated the group price might be around $51.00+tax per night. Of course that is the only hotel I've contacted. If I had an idea of how many would be interested I can negotiate with a few other hotels.

Post in here if you'd be interested. If anyone knows Spokane better, Moun10bike *hint*hint* and knows of a better hotel let me know that too.

smile02.gif We're all here, because we're not 'all there'.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Wander Lost:

If anyone knows Spokane better, Moun10bike *hint*hint* and knows of a better hotel let me know that too.

One thing about living there: I don't know the hotels, as I don't have to use them! icon_biggrin.gif However, I can tell you one thing - stay away from the Thunderbird Inn. The quality of the patrons is not...how shall I say...cream of the crop.

I would give a look at the Courtyard by Marriott on Riverpoint Blvd., the Travelodge on Spokane Falls Blvd., the Holiday Inn Express on Division, or the Red Lion on Spokane Falls Blvd. These are all located next to Riverfront Park downtown with easy access to all parts of the city. Of course, if you want the best of the best and money is no object, go with the Davenport! icon_smile.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

quote:

If anyone knows Spokane better, Moun10bike *hint*hint* and knows of a better hotel let me know that too.

One thing about living there: I don't know the hotels, as I don't have to use them! icon_biggrin.gif However, I can tell you one thing - stay away from the Thunderbird Inn. The quality of the patrons is not...how shall I say...cream of the crop.

I would give a look at the Courtyard by Marriott on Riverpoint Blvd., the Travelodge on Spokane Falls Blvd., the Holiday Inn Express on Division, or the Red Lion on Spokane Falls Blvd. These are all located next to Riverfront Park downtown with easy access to all parts of the city. Of course, if you want the best of the best and money is no object, go with the Davenport! icon_smile.gif

http://geocachingwa.org

You're right. I know of a friend who lived there for awhile. Bad part of town from what I understood. Can't wait to see Spokane...never been there.

Okay, I guess you learn something new every day. icon_eek.gif

I'll look up some of those other ones you mentioned, but I think the Davenport is out.

Or....We could all just bring our camping gear and camp out at Moun10bike's parent's front yard. icon_wink.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

Okay, I guess you learn something new every day. icon_eek.gif

I'll look up some of those other ones you mentioned, but I think the Davenport is out.

Or....We could all just bring our camping gear and camp out at Moun10bike's parent's front yard. icon_wink.gif

http://home.attbi.com/~wander-lost/smile02.gif We're all here, because we're not 'all there'.

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Now you are talking...let's save some money!

quote:

I'm actually going to try to arrange something like that with my folks or my wife's folks in Coeur d'Alene! If they have a complete conniption, maybe I could at least secure a room or two for those needing a cheap place to stay.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I'm aiming for that price range.

I guess the Thunderbird Inn is a 'no tell motel'. icon_eek.gif

What I'm aiming for is something either close to the start or close to the Red Robin and if possible with a hospitality suite like they used for Club Babaloo.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

For what it's worth, the west Spokane Motel 6 is $36.99 a night. It's closest to GCG1TA (number 15 on the feasability check route).

According to Travelocity (completely unverified):

The Davenport is $165.62 a night

The Courtyard by Marriot on Riverpoint is $74 a night

The Holiday Inn Express on Division is $72.25 a night.

The Travelodge on Spokane Falls is $64.95 a night

The Red Lion on Division is $89.95 a night

I've stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Riverpoint. It's $70 a night.

Other low-price places:

La Quinta on Sullivan Rd. is $46.82 a night.

Rodeway Inn at 901 W 1st is $35.55 a night.*

Select Inn, 1420 W 2nd, is $45 a night.*

Budget Inn, 110 E 4th, is $37 a night.*

Best Western on Division is $57.60 a night.

Solar World Estates, on Pineridge, about a mile from Red Robin, is $46 a night.

Crossland (Extended StayAmerica) on Sprague (near GCG1FB, tentative stop 54) is $35 a night.

* Within a 1-mile radius of the 'bad' Thunderbird.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

So you folks don't mind havin' them gol' durn furriners show at Spokane CM? Evergreenhiker, SuperGenius, and WeinerDog, will you teach me how to tell a $5 from a $50?

mBC we would love to have you and your wife join us in the states for another day of fun, fun caching.

You'll have fun!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Don't forget SUPER EIGHT!

On two of my own personal caching expeditions: Cache-O-Ganza to Cle-Elum & Ellensburg and my Bremerton-GigHarbor-PortOrchard Tour, I stayed in the Super Eight's. They were clean and comfortable and I felt safe being woman alone.

MR. WD has stayed in the one in Spokane twice while on business and swears by it.

They are usually located close to the Hwy. The ones I stayed in were far enough away so that I didn't hear the cars at night.

AND they took dogs. I know MTB won't have that problem this time being close to home, but our little mascot needs a place to sleep.

Walliedawg & GeonutDan? If you come are you bringing Meesha?

quote:
Originally posted by George501949:

All right, all right, all right, count me in. I'll start saving my nickels so I can make the trip. icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

George....I don't remember anyone twisting your arm. You wanted to be there all along icon_razz.gif

EIT: I fixed my post. DARN Criminal icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by Wienerdog on July 25, 2003 at 02:32 PM.]

icon_eek.gif We are soooo there!! Where do we meet and when do we meet? Okay, I'm a bit ahead of myself..... icon_rolleyes.gif Never done a cache machine before and I lived in Spokane most of my life (I'm 34 and lived in Spokane for about 30 years...bring on those caches!!).

So, how does this work, do we all go to the same cache's at the same time or what? I CAN"T WAIT!! icon_biggrin.gif

--LadyStevenson!!

"All that I am or hope to be I owe to my mother" -- Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10goat:

I've heard from some cachers in spokane can't make it on the 4th of October because of a simulated emergency exercise. I know that you can't get a time when all can be there just thought that I would pass it along.

If date needs to be changed would prefer late September rather then later into October...very busy month for me...deer hunting.

If there is a simulated emergency going on that day a change may be prudent. For all we know roads on our route may be blocked off that day.

September 28th is our Anniversary and I can't think of a better way to spend it. The weekend of Oct 12 would also work well.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Okay I talked to the Travelodge on Sunset. They will give us a group rate of $55 per night double occupancay. They have a meeting room/hospitality suite that we can use free of charge as long as no paying customers reserve it. And here is the best part.....

They have a 24 hour hot tub!!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

The Travelodge sounds great. I'm not sure if I'll be there for one night or two, since I'll probably combine this with a trip to see friends down in Pullman. I also may be able to talk Jeff into coming with me (just have to get him to take a few days off!).

I'll know more after a few weeks,

Cin

quote:

Okay I talked to the Travelodge on Sunset. They will give us a group rate of $55 per night double occupancay. They have a meeting room/hospitality suite that we can use free of charge as long as no paying customers reserve it. And here is the best part.....

They have a 24 hour hot tub!!

http://home.comcast.net/~wander-lost/smile02.gif We're all here, because we're not 'all there'.

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Cool!

Ok, so now I need the MapSource US edition to find the Travelodge...or maybe I could do it the old fashioned way, with a map?

Serves me right for buying MapSource Canada. Only now, can I be truly lost below the 49th parallel. icon_biggrin.gif

How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

[This message was edited by marinerBC on August 05, 2003 at 09:01 PM.]