Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Personal cache notes) - May 17, 2017

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - May 17, 2017

With this release you can now add, access, and edit personal cache notes on the app and on Geocaching.com. Additionally, personal cache notes are saved even when created offline.

Also, a new Settings screen is now available to set your preferred distance units and turn off the 30 foot warning.

Lastly, we are now enforcing rules on only one found it, attended, webcam photo taken, or will attend per cache on the app and Geocaching.com. Attempts to submit duplicate logs on the Geocaching® app will automatically change to Notes.

In every release, we also fix bugs and make other small improvements to the Geocaching® app:

•  

• Improved handling of onboarding videos
  • Better attribution to OSM on Trails map
  • Shop Geocaching links for all locales
  • Updated app icon
  • (iPhone only) Easier access to opening the cache listing in browser

Ben H from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - May 17, 2017

With this release you can now add, access, and edit personal cache notes on the app and on Geocaching.com. Additionally, personal cache notes are saved even when created offline.

Hurray!!! :grin:

(and finally... :laughing: )

Still not showing Mystery and Multi caches with corrected final coordinates directly on the map? It is a NO-GO for me.

Another iPhone app "Geocaching with Geosphere" does it well, so your official app has no added value for me.

Just for the record, you got my support previously as I bought the old official (now retired) application in the iPhone app store. But in the end, I never used it, as other app did better what you can't after all those years.

Still not showing Mystery and Multi caches with corrected final coordinates directly on the map? It is a NO-GO for me.
Same here. This is the only Android app I've seen that still shows solved puzzles at the original posted coordinates, rather than at the edited coordinates.

But other than that, this app is looking good. If you can display solved puzzles at the edited coordinates, then I'll have to consider switching to it when I switch apps again (which will probably be fairly soon, given that my current app is no longer being developed :( ).

Hey with every release it gets better. Can we have a setting to stop cache icons being clustered when zooming out please. It makes it very difficult to plan when this happens and I'd like them to overlap rather than be clustered. Thanks.

Good - now we have some way of getting to personal notes that doesn't involve the website. The problem remains, though, that the app still doesn't display caches at corrected coordinates. My most common use of personal notes is to show additional information posted to Geocheck for mystery caches and until the display is fixed the app is of little value to me.

Great!

Updated yesterday on iOS, now it won't open and keeps crashing.

Some update?

That happens. Try turning your iPhone all the way off, then turning it back on and launching the app again.

I've had the same problem - not only does it crash, my whole phone locks up. I've tried several hard resets; my phone then works fine until I open the Geocaching app, which works for a couple of minutes, and then everything locks up again.

I have now used the new geocaching app for a while and it actually works very well after the ‘Draft’ functionality has been added. I have used the app both as online caching and offline with downloaded list on vacation. Cache descriptions and downloaded maps do the job. One thing I was missing on the trip, was the possibility to removed already found caches from the list, or, may be even better, that caches on the draft list is shown on the map. The last part has already been added. Great! It is also very useful when caching online. There is a few thing I still missing in the app. Many caches uses spoiler pictures as hints and these pictures is not part of the downloaded information. I think this cost me 2 or 3 founds. Another thing is that caches should be shown at corrected coordinates and not listing coordinates on the map. I know the corrected coordinates is shown when start navigating, but when looking on the map for the next cache to find, it is the corrected coordinates that is of interests.

It would also be nice if the app could be moved to the SD-Card (I use the Android version) and the cache database should also be movable.

The thing I think is most important, are that caches is shown at corrected coordinates.

Thanks for a great product.

Finn, (fbpetersen)

Am so disappointed with the app that we have deleted it from our machines. Can't find a way to dlink it from safari. Every time we wish to look at something on geocaching .com it drops us into the app. Not what I want to do so app gone until this is fixed.

Am so disappointed with the app that we have deleted it from our machines. Can't find a way to dlink it from safari. Every time we wish to look at something on geocaching .com it drops us into the app. Not what I want to do so app gone until this is fixed.

Press and hold the link and it should pop up an option to change the default action.

(for the record, I deleted the app because it is useless to non-PMO cachers)

I like all of the updates included in v5.3 and I think it's great that GS has addressed many of the things repeatedly requested by forum users. I don't use the app much while searching for caches, but do use it a fair amount for creating lists and when I want details in my Field Notes.

Thanks for the updates!

-----

Besides attributes and corrected coords, the other things I'd like to see are:

-- A map scale. I can click on a cache and see how far that icon is from the blue dot that represents my current location, but I'd need a scale on the map to estimate the distance between 2 icons on the map.

-- Clustering settings, either an on/off option or an option to set minimum count for clustering.

-- Ability to remove a cache from a list while viewing that list on the map.

-- Ability to add caches to the 'Ignore List' and 'Watchlist', perhaps as options when adding caches to a list.

-- More Search options: cache name, cache owner.

ETA:

-- Would be great to have D/T/Size displayed without having to open each cache. For example, shown next to the fave heart, distance, tb count that's shown at the bottom of the map screen and for each cache in the list screen.

Edited by noncentric

I like all of the updates included in v5.3 and I think it's great that GS has addressed many of the things repeatedly requested by forum users. I don't use the app much while searching for caches, but do use it a fair amount for creating lists and when I want details in my Field Notes.

Thanks for the updates!

-----

-- A map scale. I can click on a cache and see how far that icon is from the blue dot that represents my current location, but I'd need a scale on the map to estimate the distance between 2 icons on the map.

-- Clustering settings, either an on/off option or an option to set minimum count for clustering.

-- Ability to add caches to the 'Ignore List' and 'Watchlist', perhaps as options when adding caches to a list.

Really support the suggestion of clustering.

Hi!

I was logging a trackable via the app and added a picture to it as well. The log gets sublotted immediately but there is no picture uploaded. It seems to me that this option is not working (or am I doing something wrong?).

I opened the app, went to the loop icon to search, tapped trackable, entered the code, waited for the trackable page to open, selected 'log this trackable', selected that I discovered it, typed my log, selected the picture on the bottom left of the app screen, selected the picture from my galery and then submitted my log.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+ with latest software and up-to-date Geocaching app.

Thanks and regards,

Toho_NL

This is the only Android app I've seen that still shows solved puzzles at the original posted coordinates, rather than at the edited coordinates.

But other than that, this app is looking good. If you can display solved puzzles at the edited coordinates, then I'll have to consider switching to it when I switch apps again (which will probably be fairly soon, given that my current app is no longer being developed :( ).

Hey with every release it gets better. Can we have a setting to stop cache icons being clustered when zooming out please. It makes it very difficult to plan when this happens and I'd like them to overlap rather than be clustered. Thanks.

Good - now we have some way of getting to personal notes that doesn't involve the website. The problem remains, though, that the app still doesn't display caches at corrected coordinates. My most common use of personal notes is to show additional information posted to Geocheck for mystery caches and until the display is fixed the app is of little value to me.

I have now used the new geocaching app for a while and it actually works very well after the ‘Draft’ functionality has been added. I have used the app both as online caching and offline with downloaded list on vacation. Cache descriptions and downloaded maps do the job. One thing I was missing on the trip, was the possibility to removed already found caches from the list, or, may be even better, that caches on the draft list is shown on the map. The last part has already been added. Great! It is also very useful when caching online. There is a few thing I still missing in the app. Many caches uses spoiler pictures as hints and these pictures is not part of the downloaded information. I think this cost me 2 or 3 founds. Another thing is that caches should be shown at corrected coordinates and not listing coordinates on the map. I know the corrected coordinates is shown when start navigating, but when looking on the map for the next cache to find, it is the corrected coordinates that is of interests.

It would also be nice if the app could be moved to the SD-Card (I use the Android version) and the cache database should also be movable.

The thing I think is most important, are that caches is shown at corrected coordinates.

Thanks for a great product.

Finn, (fbpetersen)

Thanks for the updates!

-----

ETA:

-- Would be great to have D/T/Size displayed without having to open each cache. For example, shown next to the fave heart, distance, tb count that's shown at the bottom of the map screen and for each cache in the list screen.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Two of the biggest themes here and in other feedback channels have been showing solved caches at their corrected coords and improving/removing clustering. I can't yet give you a timeline or specific version number where we'll make changes to those, but I can tell you that we're actively working on both of those things. I hope that we'll have improvements on each of them ready to release within the next few versions.

Hi!

I was logging a trackable via the app and added a picture to it as well. The log gets sublotted immediately but there is no picture uploaded. It seems to me that this option is not working (or am I doing something wrong?).

I opened the app, went to the loop icon to search, tapped trackable, entered the code, waited for the trackable page to open, selected 'log this trackable', selected that I discovered it, typed my log, selected the picture on the bottom left of the app screen, selected the picture from my galery and then submitted my log.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+ with latest software and up-to-date Geocaching app.

Thanks and regards,

Toho_NL

Thanks for your detailed report. Are you seeing this problem repeatedly or just this one time? I'm hoping that your problem was a one-time server problem rather than a recurring bug.

How do I get to my private lists from the new profile page? And is there anyway to summarize the favorites list instead of having to scroll past all the caches we've favorited to get to our public lists?

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

Edit - Aacckk! I was playing around on our lists page accessed through the old profile and wanting to see what the little slider button did, I slid it to the right on one of our lists. It indicated we will now receive an e-mail whenever one of those caches is logged. NO! I don't want that! It won't let me move the slider back and I don't want to delete the list.

Edit # 2 - NM - you have to "click" the button, not "slide" it.

Edited by Car54

How do I get to my private lists from the new profile page? And is there anyway to summarize the favorites list instead of having to scroll past all the caches we've favorited to get to our public lists?

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

Edit - Aacckk! I was playing around on our lists page accessed through the old profile and wanting to see what the little slider button did, I slid it to the right on one of our lists. It indicated we will now receive an e-mail whenever one of those caches is logged. NO! I don't want that! It won't let me move the slider back and I don't want to delete the list.

Thanks for the feedback. If these comments are about the website, please be sure to post them in the latest thread for updates there since this thread is only about updates to the app.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

Thanks for the feedback. If these comments are about the website, please be sure to post them in the latest thread for updates there since this thread is only about updates to the app.

Oops! Sorry about that!