Logging Date in Drafts glitch

two bison

When logging from uploaded drafts it is necessary to use the "new logging experience." I uploaded my drafts using Geosphere. For all drafts written after 4:00 PM PDT on 5/16/2017, the date applied to the draft was 5/17/2017. That fact does not show on the "new logging experience" writing box but below the box was, in red, the notice "Please select a log date." There was no indication that the 17th had been selected and no link so that I could select a log date. I corrected the date by ignoring the "select" request and then going to the submitted log and correcting the date there. Please provide a link that would allow me to make the correction on the "n...l...e..." page or, better yet, fix the dating problem. Thanks

Geosphere is adjusting field note dates in some fashion that has issues now that we have made improvements to our handling of time stamps. You will need to contact the developers of that app to get that changed.

You can adjust the date of your log by clicking on the date shown to the upper right of the text entry field.

When logging from uploaded drafts it is necessary to use the "new logging experience." I uploaded my drafts using Geosphere. For all drafts written after 4:00 PM PDT on 5/16/2017, the date applied to the draft was 5/17/2017. That fact does not show on the "new logging experience" writing box but below the box was, in red, the notice "Please select a log date." There was no indication that the 17th had been selected and no link so that I could select a log date. I corrected the date by ignoring the "select" request and then going to the submitted log and correcting the date there. Please provide a link that would allow me to make the correction on the "n...l...e..." page or, better yet, fix the dating problem. Thanks

I just tested using Geosphere, both auto-posting as a log and uploading as a field note/draft.

Auto-posting the log works as intended and the date is correct.

The Field Notes page will show the date as of the converted timezone for, I believe, UTC (so this could be ahead by a day on the Drafts listing page). When I went to compose, the 'NLE' dates were all correct to the cache's local timezone (the date of the log presuming the time is as of the cache's local timezone - after 8pm showed the next date in the Draft listing, but the correct date in Composing).

In this case, something seems to be causing the Compose Log page to not know what to do with the datestamp.

My thoughts: If Geosphere adjusts the submitted date/time for the Draft by the known previous time bug of X hours, it really shouldn't matter. The Compose page is determining the original log time by the cache's timezone and adjusting the date accodingly (and this is good). I'm guessing that the manner in which the page adjusts the timestamp is causing an invalid timestamp script error (and thus, strangely, hiding the date selection dropdown and showing the error, meaning it doesn't seem to be being handled properly).

Perhaps the script is adding/subtracting hours but not looping the value between 0 and 23, and keeping an invalid hour of <0 or >24 causing a script error... not sure, haven't dug that deep.

One thing I'm sure of: the script should be able to be 'fixed' so the date selection box is not hidden for any reason especially if the error raised tells the user to select a date. blink.gif

Some months ago I was forced to change my time zone to Canada to get correct dates for field notes (drafts). At that time, this adjustment fixed the issue perfectly. Now I am facing a more difficult problem with the new logging experience, because this timezone adjustment in profile page seems to do nothing any more. I hope that the time field will be back in the "Dashboard > Drafts". Now the date in the list and in the log entries differs too.

You can adjust the date of your log by clicking on the date shown to the upper right of the text entry field.

When uploading field notes one is forced to use the "new logging experience." There is no "date shown to the upper right of the text entry field." Previous to this, the date could be changed as the date was shown as Moun10Bike describes. Again, this problem only occurs, for me, for field notes with a time stamp later than 4:00 PM PDT.

Edited by two bison

I'm not seeing the behavior you describe. This is what I see when composing a log off of a draft that I have edited to make sure the time stamp is after 4:00 PM Seattle time:

I replicated it with Geosphere successfully. It would depend on your local timezone. For me being Eastern, I know that it's the +8 hour strangeness, so I tested an uploaded field note set to 3:59pm and 4:00pm, and one did exactly as described.

However, I just tested again now using 3:59pm and 4pm yesterday, and it didn't do that.

The date on the field notes drafts page showed the unified date (no time) of May 23rd, and the compose page showed the adjusted date for the 4pm log.

Specifically, test logs uploaded via Geosphere just now were shown this way:

* 3:59pm ET May 22 => May 23 on Drafts list, May 22 on Compose form

* 4:00pm ET May 22 => May 23 on Drafts list, May 23 on Compose form

I think the no-date-selection problem has been fixed, at least.

EDIT:

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see where the rollover was for the Drafts list.

Two more test uploads:

* 11:59am ET May 22 => May 22 on Drafts list, May 22 on Compose form

* 12:00pm ET May 22 => May 23 on Drafts list, May 22 on Compose form

Why noon the rollover time from one date to the next? That's a 12 hour offset; didn't expect to see that.

Edited by thebruce0

I think I'm facing the same issue when uploading field notes / drafts from my Garmin eTrex 30. Looking at the geocache_visits.txt file itself, it has timestamps recorded in GMT (the XML file that geocaching.com doesn't use has them in the local timezone i.e. GMT+2). Now, the old field notes interface did recognize my local timezone correctly somehow, but when I uploaded drafts today, all timestamps are displayed in the eastern timezone (EST?) for some reason, i.e. they are offset by -5 hours from GMT and by -7 hours from the actual timezone. I can imagine this could also lead to date overlap if I logged a find in the wee hours.

Is this a bug or do I somehow need to set my home timezone somewhere in the new interface?

We have seen several issues when uploading our field notes (geocache-visits.txt) from our Garmins.

If we don't already have a 'draft' in the list on the site, the upload loads the entire geocache-visits.txt file and most of the dates are incorrect.

Then when logging, there is no way to use the better, more efficient previous logging page. You are forced to use the new one.

We're pretty close to doing everything via GSAK and just dumping the website except for solving puzzles.