Gadget cache ideas

15 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Relax, I'm kidding.

I knew that.. :lol:

15 minutes ago, hzoi said:

But I'd still hesitate to use a credit card to open a geocache.

I didn't use a CC either but I did have a CC-sized plastic discount card that I wouldn't care about if it were damaged. I could even have opened it with a piece of folded paper or a notebook cardboard back.

2 hours ago, hzoi said:
2 hours ago, on4bam said:
2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Well, I have your word for it, person on the internet I've never met.  What more do I need?  :anibad:

Being there and seeing it for yourself makes it pretty clear, unless you don't believe your own eyes. :blink: I could post a picture but I don't believe in spoilers.

Relax, I'm kidding.  But I'd still hesitate to use a credit card to open a geocache.  Not because I have any basis to suspect there is a card reader, but for more practical reasons: I use my credit card for more important things, like paying for goods and services, and would rather risk loss or damage to a library card instead.

Hrumph!  I work in a library.

I'd rather use one of those grocery store loyalty cards, which I suppose also can be used for paying for goods, such as lock-n-lock containers.

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I work in a library.

Then you know that I only need my library card when I'm at the library, silly.  But if it makes you feel better, yes, I can use my Piggly Wiggly or Bi-Lo member rewards card, which I don't need anyway because I can type a phone number instead.

Here is my latest idea: It is a Multi Letterbox Munzee Hybrid. A Munzee is like Geocaching, except you find QR codes and scan them for points. 

On the description I would note that a QR code scanner app is needed.

Stage 1 - Under a lamp post, there is a QR code, scan the code for letterbox-like clues to Stage 2.

Stages 2, 3 and 4 - QR codes hidden in various fashions, each with clues for the next. However, Stage 4 would have coordinates to Stage 5, which would be located nearby.

Stage 5 - A birdhouse gadget cache painted like a QR code. There would be one on the front to scan, containing instructions of what to do next. Then, there will be small knobs on the side to rotate mirrors inside the gadget cache, look through the entrance hole of the birdhouse and once you turn the mirrors at just the right angle, a QR code inside will be revealed. scan it for the code to a combo lock on the side of the cache to open it.

Let me know what you think, and anything I could change!

14 minutes ago, TwistedCube said:

Here is my latest idea: It is a Multi Letterbox Munzee Hybrid. A Munzee is like Geocaching, except you find QR codes and scan them for points. 

On the description I would note that a QR code scanner app is needed.

Stage 1 - Under a lamp post, there is a QR code, scan the code for letterbox-like clues to Stage 2.

Stages 2, 3 and 4 - QR codes hidden in various fashions, each with clues for the next. However, Stage 4 would have coordinates to Stage 5, which would be located nearby.

Stage 5 - A birdhouse gadget cache painted like a QR code. There would be one on the front to scan, containing instructions of what to do next. Then, there will be small knobs on the side to rotate mirrors inside the gadget cache, look through the entrance hole of the birdhouse and once you turn the mirrors at just the right angle, a QR code inside will be revealed. scan it for the code to a combo lock on the side of the cache to open it.

Let me know what you think, and anything I could change!

Unless the locations for stage 2 and 3 are interesting, I would probably prefer that it was just 3 stages (or even two).  Making a multi cache with many stages, just to have geocachers visit multiple locations (especially it it's just a lamp post in a parking lot) wouldn't add anything to the experience for me.  The birdhouse with the mirrors to expose a QR code sounds interesting, especially if it leads to a good location for the final.  

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Unless the locations for stage 2 and 3 are interesting, I would probably prefer that it was just 3 stages (or even two).  Making a multi cache with many stages, just to have geocachers visit multiple locations (especially it it's just a lamp post in a parking lot) wouldn't add anything to the experience for me.  The birdhouse with the mirrors to expose a QR code sounds interesting, especially if it leads to a good location for the final.  

Yeah, I love multi-stage mystery/puzzle caches, but each stage needs to be unique in some way. Finding yet another QR code sounds like more of the same, rather than like something unique.

• Upvote 1
On 12/1/2017 at 3:33 PM, niraD said:

Yeah, I love multi-stage mystery/puzzle caches, but each stage needs to be unique in some way. Finding yet another QR code sounds like more of the same, rather than like something unique.

This was just the basic idea, I do have a few ideas for hiding QR codes. 

Edited by TwistedCube

I don't know If this is a gadget cache, but I have thought of making a "different" LPC. This may or may not work, but I could get a bison tube, slide it under the lamp post, attach a magnet to the outside of the lamp post, and drag the bison tube up the inside of the lamp post. When a cacher arrives, s/he sees the magnet, and pulls it off the outside, the bison tube then falls to the bottom of the lamp post (the cover) where s/he could retrieve it.

Let me know what you think. : ) 

Edited by TwistedCube
*typo
23 minutes ago, TwistedCube said:

I don't know If this is a gadget cache, but I have thought of making a "different" LPC. This may or may not work, but I could get a bison tube, slide it under the lamp post, attach a magnet to the outside of the lamp post, and drag the bison tube up the inside of the lamp post. When a cacher arrives, s/he sees the magnet, and pulls it off the outside, the bison tube then falls to the bottom of the lamp post (the cover) where s/he could retrieve it.

That could be pretty cool, if as the CO, you're willing to put it back in place all the time.  I've thought of some diabolical hides similar to that, but expect the first couple of finders to be impressed, the next ones finding it quickly on the ground or whatever.  "Found It:  It was out of place, easy to find". B)

32 minutes ago, TwistedCube said:

I think a lot of people finding it would just leave the container at the bottom of the lamp post.  I assume that lamp posts are magnetic.  Many bison tubes are aluminum so the magnet would stick to the lamp post, but not conduct magnetically to the bison tube.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
42 minutes ago, TwistedCube said:

Our bisons are either stainless (the better ones) or aluminum.  Neither magnetic.

Sounds like fun, but curious about lamp posts in your area.   Even on the thin steel lamp post skirts you'd probably have to use rare earth magnets to make it work well.  Someone muggle just passing by would probably be happy to spot that, not even realizing another "gift" fell to the bottom.    ;)

As others said, getting folks to replace things correctly isn't as easy as the FTF finding it from your placement.  Something as simple as lining it up to attach may be "inconvenient" for some.

- But try it if you really wanna, and please come back a couple months later with a review.  Thanks.  :)

56 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I think a lot of people finding it would just leave the container at the bottom of the lamp post.  I assume that lamp posts are magnetic.  Many bison tubes are aluminum so the magnet would stick to the lamp post, but not conduct magnetically to the bison tube.

I bought some bison tubes recently and the key ring was magnetic. Perhaps it may stick to that.

34 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Our bisons are either stainless (the better ones) or aluminum.  Neither magnetic.

Sounds like fun, but curious about lamp posts in your area.   Even on the thin steel lamp post skirts you'd probably have to use rare earth magnets to make it work well.  Someone muggle just passing by would probably be happy to spot that, not even realizing another "gift" fell to the bottom.    ;)

As others said, getting folks to replace things correctly isn't as easy as the FTF finding it from your placement.  Something as simple as lining it up to attach may be "inconvenient" for some.

- But try it if you really wanna, and please come back a couple months later with a review.  Thanks.  :)

Some lamp posts in my area have metal signs that say: "No semis allowed" that are wider than the lamp posts. I could push a magnet in the shadow of the sign. Also, they are facing the parking lot, so the back side can only be seen if you are walking by.

15 hours ago, TwistedCube said:
15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Some lamp posts in my area have metal signs that say: "No semis allowed" that are wider than the lamp posts. I could push a magnet in the shadow of the sign. Also, they are facing the parking lot, so the back side can only be seen if you are walking by.

Sorry to be blunt, but how about just forgetting about  the idea of hiding a cache in a lamp post.   Other than very few exceptions, lamp posts aren't in locations that are particularly interesting to visit.  

On 12/8/2017 at 7:28 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Sorry to be blunt, but how about just forgetting about  the idea of hiding a cache in a lamp post.   Other than very few exceptions, lamp posts aren't in locations that are particularly interesting to visit.  

I see your point. However, there are several LPs near me that are near some interesting architecture. I live 20 minutes from Columbus, Indiana, a town that is known for neat buildings and art. I was also thinking about a sort of "Brick Hunt" through town that would require the cacher to find certain bricks with names on them, possibly making it into a letterbox hybrid.   

OK, back to gadget caches...

You have probably seen the gadget cache where the finder must pull the perch out of a birdhouse, releasing the bottom part of it. I might build that, except there is a magnet on a string. Then s/he must use the magnet to slide large nails (like 6 inch nails) out of the birdhouse, once all of them are out, the bottom of it will drop out.

11 hours ago, TwistedCube said:

OK, back to gadget caches...

You have probably seen the gadget cache where the finder must pull the perch out of a birdhouse, releasing the bottom part of it. I might build that, except there is a magnet on a string. Then s/he must use the magnet to slide large nails (like 6 inch nails) out of the birdhouse, once all of them are out, the bottom of it will drop out.

One think I think that every gadget cache creator should consider is how easy it is for the finder set the cache back to how it was when they found it.  Instead of six long nails I'd consider using one of those magnetic cabinet latches like this one.  After accessing the container/log inside the hinged bottom of the bird house merely needs to be pushed back up to close it.  

rsrl_202_1.jpg

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

One think I think that every gadget cache creator should consider is how easy it is for the finder set the cache back to how it was when they found it. 

Yeah...  I'm not a fan of gadgets, after finding most broken.  "Setting it back" seems to be the issue.     :)

- But we see this in many others that require a person to do "extra".  Caches with hidden tools needed to access not returned (now buried in snow), and one that had maps inside an ammo can, to be returned when done. Now an empty ammo can, too lazy to put back, somehow forgot, or they're souvenirs...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

One think I think that every gadget cache creator should consider is how easy it is for the finder set the cache back to how it was when they found it.  Instead of six long nails I'd consider using one of those magnetic cabinet latches like this one.  After accessing the container/log inside the hinged bottom of the bird house merely needs to be pushed back up to close it.  

rsrl_202_1.jpg

I see your point, gadget caches should take a few seconds to set back up for the next finder.

However, this one is fairly easy to put back, just push the bottom up, and stick the nails back into place. the nail holes are going to be big enough to slide in without a hammer. To paint a better picture, here is a video. Everything's the same, except instead of the perch, four nails that are six inches long... and the magnet. : )

By the way, this is not my video, this is WVTim's video.

On top of my head I remember a few hiders and hides.

There was a nice varation of a guardrail hide, utlizing one of the reflectors. Another one was hidden at a weather measurement station, and the hint was something like "Fresh air from your lungs". You had to take the cap of a pipe and blow into a tube to make the Micro appear. I was there three times before I realized what it's all about. However, the owner stopped hiding caches after the local railway station was closed for a day when the workers discovered something strange not too far away from the rails. I read it in the news, knew that it was about a cache he had hidden and wrote a message to him. He went to the polica station, apologized (there was a crazy number mentioned in the news article on how much costs this incident caused) and all was good. Those were the days :).

Edited by Rebore
14 hours ago, Rebore said:

On top of my head I remember a few hiders and hides.

There was a nice varation of a guardrail hide, utlizing one of the reflectors. Another one was hidden at a weather measurement station, and the hint was something like "Fresh air from your lungs". You had to take the cap of a pipe and blow into a tube to make the Micro appear. I was there three times before I realized what it's all about. However, the owner stopped hiding caches after the local railway station was closed for a day when the workers discovered something strange not too far away from the rails. I read it in the news, knew that it was about a cache he had hidden and wrote a message to him. He went to the polica station, apologized (there was a crazy number mentioned in the news article on how much costs this incident caused) and all was good. Those were the days :).

I wouldn't consider a cache that used reflectors to be a gadget cache unless the there was something one had to do (beyond just moving it) with the reflector to get acces to the cache.

Just how far away was that cache "not too far away from the rails"?   On my second attempt to hide a cache it was denied because it was too close to RR tracks.  It was in a park next to the lake that required one to drive across the tracks to get into the park but my reviewer wouldn't allow it unless I got explicit permission from the park and the RR company. He also described an incident that occurred a few years previous of a geocacher that had to pay a fairly large fine for placing a cache to close to RR tracks (on RR property). 

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I wouldn't consider a cache that used reflectors to be a gadget cache unless the there was something one had to do (beyond just moving it) with the reflector to get acces to the cache.

Just how far away was that cache "not too far away from the rails"?   On my second attempt to hide a cache it was denied because it was too close to RR tracks.  It was in a park next to the lake that required one to drive across the tracks to get into the park but my reviewer wouldn't allow it unless I got explicit permission from the park and the RR company. He also described an incident that occurred a few years previous of a geocacher that had to pay a fairly large fine for placing a cache to close to RR tracks (on RR property). 

Pretty close. I know the rules are more stict in the US because the land next to the rails belongs to the RR company, which isn't the case here.It was actually at the station, but  behind a noise barrier so you couldn't walk straight to GZ. You had to spot a fishing line to draw the styrofoamed, covered with leaves "bomb" container up to you. I just looked it up and saw that it was a birthday present for his daughter, he deceided that she would get "something else" the year after. Also the news article was not correct, the station wasn't closed and trains weren't stopped. Logs are in German, this was the cache: GC22XXT

On 12/11/2017 at 7:07 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Railroad right-of-way varies considerably.  Out west (USA), I think it is 200'.  The land was empty when the railroad got its right-of-way.  But back esat, the right-of-way can be as little as 20'.

On 5/29/2017 at 12:43 AM, VTMountainBiker said:

I love building gadget caches. I've built 3 based off WVTim. Need some new ideas and I like caches that fit small or medium containers. After the trapdoor one I'm building I'm thinking about doing a visible wood (big version of a door lock) gadget cache. I've done the WVTim marble cache, battery powered and I've built my own mini church (my own idea)

Very clever of you in your GC76485 Spring Weather Light House! Gadget Cache to require the finder to bring their own 9v battery - keeps your cache maintenance down!

Love these ideas. Here’s mine:

a normal bird house where you have to pull the Perch. However when you do so, the bottom swings open with no container. Then, you have to push the perch back in, hit a release and then the co tai we drops out. 

the trick of this one is that there is a stopper on the bottom part that swings out when the bottom drops out. Then, I had to painfully make a sideways release. I’m sure you could do it with an easier Meath of though. that’s the idea I have for now. Pics coming soon

On 4/29/2021 at 7:31 AM, ElmsFam said:

Love these ideas. Here’s mine:

a normal bird house where you have to pull the Perch. However when you do so, the bottom swings open with no container. Then, you have to push the perch back in, hit a release and then the co tai we drops out. 

<...>

PLEASE PLEASE tell me you're calling this cache "Pull My Finger".

On 4/29/2021 at 4:31 AM, ElmsFam said:

What stops the seeker from reaching the rather obvious conclusion that the container is missing? Of all the reactions I might have, "Gee, I guess there's more to this field puzzle" would be very far down the list.

1 hour ago, dprovan said:

What stops the seeker from reaching the rather obvious conclusion that the container is missing? Of all the reactions I might have, "Gee, I guess there's more to this field puzzle" would be very far down the list.

I've gotten similar reactions on several of my puzzle caches.  They can't get to the container, so they cram a piece of signed paper into any space between the boards, FOUND IT.  The more respectful way would be to log a DNF, since they didn't complete the actions required to sign the log book, whether or not the container is in fact missing.  In the case of the container being missing, then for sure they didn't sign the log book. 

Edited by kunarion

Has anyone else had a Gadget cache muggled before it was found?

One of my latest Gadgets,  ,Liberty Sculpture Park Gadget Cache, was broken into and the internals were taken!  I found out by a kind message from the FTF.  I have disabled it and it's back in the shop for repairs,

Hi everyone,

I have never made a gadget cache before, but I am designing one right now, and I would like some feedback on it. I am pretty sure that this is unique, however, you never know. It is going to be a birdhouse, that looks normal, (Or maybe should I add some red herrings on the outside?) and nothing moves, except for the front face of the birdhouse, which obviously moves, but is locked. You have to twist the perch, which unlocks the door. This unlocks the front face, which rotates around the vertical centerline to reveal a 3D maze puzzle on the other side. You can not reach through, as there is Plexiglass blocking you. Inside, there is a nano, sitting at the bottom. Are there any magnetic nanos out there, or will I have to attach magnets to it for this next part to work. You then use the magnet to pull the nano through the maze and to the top, where there is a hole for you to grab it. I am wondering how I should disguise a magnet (on a retractable string) that is used for this. Once you have signed the log, you put the nano back in the bird hole (on the front), and it falls through a chute, and through a hole in the back of the maze, returning it to it's original spot. It will be made out of wood, and I possibly may laser cut some bits. Any tips for this? I have attached some pictures of a model of it that I made in cad. I won't actually use it though, as the real one is going to be made out of wood.

Thanks!

RCLM

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.18.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.20.23 PM.png

• Love 1

That is really awesome and unique!!  I made a maze puzzle in a box once, and you had to tilt it to and fro to move the nano through the maze.  It was fun (until the river washed it away, ahh well).  Mine was made out of plexiglass.

Remember that toy with the magnet shavings that acted like hair on a guy?  It came with a magnet 'pencil'.  There are also magnet on a stick tools that are used for picking up canning lids -- check the canning/cooking section of a store.  Those might work for your tool.

• Helpful 1
On 2/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, RCLM said:

Are there any magnetic nanos out there, or will I have to attach magnets to it for this next part to work. You then use the magnet to pull the nano through the maze and to the top, where there is a hole for you to grab it.

The commercially available "blinkie" style Nanos have a strong magnet in the base.  They tend to be expensive, because they get dropped and lost (or the lid gets dropped), get cross-threaded, or corrode, and after a while, replacements add up to real money.  You may be able to design your own with a magnet on each end, for ease of putting it back in place.  The main thing is making the log holder as simple as possible to reassemble and set back up for the next finder.  And simple to build a replacement Nano.  It may not even need to be waterproof.

I've found one with the blinkie, and I've found a couple with a ball bearing instead, which electrically or mechanically releases the compartment that has the log.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Thanks all! Good stuff.

On 2/4/2022 at 1:06 PM, kunarion said:

The commercially available "blinkie" style Nanos have a strong magnet in the base.

I found some other magnetic ones online, but if there is something unique about this one, could I get the link please? Also, it would be best if the entire thing was magnetic. Which by the way means that there doesn't have to be a magnet in the nano, the metal just has to be attracted to magnets.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:44 PM, captnemo said:

I would also include a instruction sheet inside on how to reset and close the cache.

Smart. Will do.

Also, for the magnetic tool, it would have to be on the outside, and would have to be disguised. Would it be worth it to cover the cache in red herrings, to have one be the magnetic tool?

Edited by RCLM
Forgot something.
1 hour ago, RCLM said:

I found some other magnetic ones online, but if there is something unique about this one, could I get the link please? Also, it would be best if the entire thing was magnetic.

They’re aluminum and all basically the same as the one in my previous reply.  But the size can be at least slightly different from various shops, and the o-ring affects the length as well.

Maybe you can find a ferrous pill container, or other capsule or tube, or build something from scratch.  It may need to be replaced from time to time.

• Helpful 1