Release Notes (Website: Updated Profile and Dashboard) - May 16, 2017

- The dashboard could see my caches with need maintenance/need archive + DNF on my caches /section maintenance

- Maybe even prepared caches (not published)

I second this. As for the DNFs I think e-mail notification is sufficient but there should be something alerting a cache owner that his cache needs maintenance. Many COs simply miss or overlook the notifying e-mails. Often their caches are even correctly maintained but they're not aware of the NM flags still present on cache pages.

The DNF was just thinking over the maintenance panel :)

But somebody log one DNF and then nothing - now it happened to me... I was away :) Just information about DNF that would disappear with the first normal log or maintenance log...

It was just an idea :)

I agree ...

In my opinion, the dashboard is just a preview of the actual state (quick view)... and from there it should lead to more detailed protocols ..

I agree with this. I don't think a Dashboard needs to have details for hides, logs, trackables, lists, etc. It should have links to each of these categories and highlight categories that have 'pending items'.

- The dashboard could see my caches with need maintenance/need archive + DNF on my caches /section maintenance

It would be great to have the Dashboard alert how many of my caches have NM/NA. Perhaps this could be accomplished by bolding "Hides" and adding a number after the label that indicates how many caches have NM flags.

For your 'prepared caches' item. I think that's already done by "Unpublished hides" in the menu.

Currently, we are showing the most recent 20 logs. If you are finding 12 caches per day then you correctly would only see about 2 days worth when we display 20 logs. However, if we display the last 30 days then you could have 300+ logs. That makes for a much larger request to the servers which results in a slower response and takes longer to load the data.

I have just opened my Dashboard to find out that one of my friends logged 30 new caches so the whole feed is filled up by her finds. I don't mind to see her logs but another two friends of mine logged caches as well yesterday and I do not see those in the Recent logs feed. :(

So the history should be based on days back (like 5 days) instead of recent logs count.

I agree ...

In my opinion, the dashboard is just a preview of the actual state (quick view)... and from there it should lead to more detailed protocols ..

I agree with this. I don't think a Dashboard needs to have details for hides, logs, trackables, lists, etc. It should have links to each of these categories and highlight categories that have 'pending items'.

It would be great to have the Dashboard alert how many of my caches have NM/NA. Perhaps this could be accomplished by bolding "Hides" and adding a number after the label that indicates how many caches have NM flags.

For your 'prepared caches' item. I think that's already done by "Unpublished hides" in the menu.

yes agree...

Do not make more of it than it should be ... only control panel.

Center with a preview of important things with a simple option to go to a detailed view...

middle panel (stream)

------------------------------------------------------------

- last 5/10 found caches and go to detail of my logs

- maintenance panel (when nothing - hide)

- info about my unfinished caches (when nothing - hide)

- one day logs my friends - max 25/30 and go to detail

------------------------------------------------------------

left menu

I broadly agree with the layout - maybe I add direct link to MAP

Currently, we are showing the most recent 20 logs. If you are finding 12 caches per day then you correctly would only see about 2 days worth when we display 20 logs. However, if we display the last 30 days then you could have 300+ logs. That makes for a much larger request to the servers which results in a slower response and takes longer to load the data.

I have just opened my Dashboard to find out that one of my friends logged 30 new caches so the whole feed is filled up by her finds. I don't mind to see her logs but another two friends of mine logged caches as well yesterday and I do not see those in the Recent logs feed. :(

So the history should be based on days back (like 5 days) instead of recent logs count.

It's only snapshot ... Yes it will it - sometimes there will be nothing interesting

Either we will do something more than a preview, and then it will be something else or it will be a preview center (with immediate snapshot) and link centr to details... What is important ?

Not sure if this should be reported as a bug since it's not standard yet, so I'm posting it here.

When I go the new dashboard....

"Recent Logs" loads instantly, "Recently Viewed" _never loads_, just the spinning circle of waiting.

After a short bit, the "Recently Viewed" is still a spinning circle, and the "Recent Logs", that had been there, changes to an error box saying,

"We couldn't load recently viewed caches. Refresh the page to try again."

Yes, I did refresh the pages.

Windows 10, Google Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit), no extensions or scripts running.

Same issue in Firefox, and, lord help me, Micro$oft Edge

Also, the settings gear icon seems to be in a strange place down by the logs, and then disappears.

aff226a5-fdf4-471c-9023-c971ee0c23a4_l.jpg

b57617f0-e38c-49bf-8043-69f4e41de320_l.jpg

Several people have mentioned wanting to see their recent logs for the last 30 days. Assuming you are looking at only your own logs, can someone help me to understand what you are trying to achieve?

I log first, and then (weeks later, I add photo's) Perhaps there are also people that just log TFTC or so and drop and retrieve TB's immediate and later change the log to something more elaborate.

It's very convenient to have a list of recent logs with links available. A few weeks is what I needed mostly. Once I was more than four weeks behind after a holiday so one month is for me a fine period for the logs.

How often are you scrolling through all of those logs?

Almost daily

What are you trying to find? (i.e. updating logs, remembering recent adventures, checking your work - didn't forget anything?)

See above, links to logs I want to add photo's to.

b.t.w. Now I understand the use of having friends logs with the recent logs: It can be used for checking. If my friend who was on a cache trip with me has logged a cache that I forget, I might notice it. For such check I now go to his or her profile and check the last founds. If a smiley is missing, I know I have forgotten to log a cache. This works fine for me. So please: Don't change.

Do you prefer all of the data in a very long (slowly loaded) list or a shorter list that allows paging or requesting more data as needed?

All at once please, since I'm working in chronological order. The links that are of interest to me will be found around the bottom of the one month list. Please don't make me do the extra work to click or scroll for more data since I probably will always need it.

Tc

A couple of features that would be nice to have added to the new interface:

1) Nice url to the profile (maybe customizable): ATM the url pointing to a user profile is hard to find and a GUID mess with a random code. It would be nice to have something like geocaching.com/user/teamiricci

2) A badge tool to export your stats to other websites/forums and so on, something like Google+ Badges

1) Nice url to the profile (maybe customizable): ATM the url pointing to a user profile is hard to find and a GUID mess with a random code. It would be nice to have something like geocaching.com/user/teamiricci

This. I'm actually surprised this was never implemented. I never thought of suggested it either since I just bookmarked my profile link, and use that to change the username in the querystring; and other quick links I have just populate that query parameter with the username to go to. :)

Definitely, a clean URL to the public profile would be a nice little tweak!

With so many replies already, is there any chance that the comments will be analyzed and possibly taken into consideration?

How about a voting?

Anyway, my main points against the new dashboard would be

1. too much unused space
  2. please separate my own latest logs from my friends' latest logs
  3. or at least make it an option to show friends' logs at all

...for now and until it finally gets disabled I will stay with the old look!

Edited by uwezi

Several people have mentioned wanting to see their recent logs for the last 30 days. Assuming you are looking at only your own logs, can someone help me to understand what you are trying to achieve? ....

Reviewer mode I do quite a lot of checking of both published and unpublished caches that I've disabled in the last month.

On published caches that have been disabled for maintenance issues, my log asks the CO log to the cache page in the next 30 days. I can scroll down to logs created 30 days ago, open and (mostly) archive those. If I miss them, they'll get picked up eventually on disabled sweeps, but it simplifies to just handle them on a rolling basis.

Unpublished caches, many cache owners are going to ignore 3/4 of what they're told. Specifically, even if they do fix whatever the issue is, they won't ALSO enable again (Submit for Review). I do try to remember to bookmark these, so any new logs I see and that alerts to revisit the page, but again, just opening them allows to me to go on with review and (hopefully) publication.

Player, going back to add or caption photos mostly. Or see what others have logged since.

I don't find the load particularly slow, and my admin account generally has a LOT of logs.

With so many replies already, is there any chance that the comments will be analyzed and possibly taken into consideration?

How about a voting?

Anyway, my main points against the new dashboard would be

1. too much unused space
  2. please separate my own latest logs from my friends' latest logs
  3. or at least make it an option to show friends' logs at all

...for now and until it finally gets disabled I will stay with the old look!

I encourage you to read the entire thread, especially the posts from Hidden Gnome (more than a dozen, which is probably some sort of record). Updates have already been made in response to feedback, and answers to some of your main points have already been provided.

Or see what others have logged since.
Actually, I've done that too. Especially when I've taken a group geocaching, I find myself using my list of recent logs to go back to the caches to see if the others have logged yet.

This. I'm actually surprised this was never implemented. I never thought of suggested it either since I just bookmarked my profile link, and use that to change the username in the querystring; and other quick links I have just populate that query parameter with the username to go to. :)

Something like this?

Yep, I just dumped all my friends as I don't want to see that on my dashboard. I doubt this was the objective of the excercise but as the friends feature doesn't really give me anything useful I'm done with it now.

I understand that some people do not want to see their friend's logs in the Recent Logs feed, but why remove your friends? What I do not understand is that 1) we have repeatedly clarified that we are updating the Recent Logs to show only your logs (with the option of seeing your friends), and 2) you are not being forced to use the new page. The friends functionality on the website has historically provided very little value to the game, but we are hoping to change that.

We are not looking to make Geocaching into the next social network, but we know that many people find geocaching more enjoyable when with 1 or more additional people. With that in mind we will be working to make it easier to connect with other people, plan and share experiences, and interact with the community (if you choose).

Where do I find the option of seeing my friends so I can uncheck the box that says I wish to see them? Repeatedly clarifying that you're updating isn't the same as updating. You asked why folks are removing their friends. It is because they don't want to wait for some updating that might happen in the dim distant ... it appears to them ... future. Is there a date when this is scheduled to happen?

Yep, I just dumped all my friends as I don't want to see that on my dashboard. I doubt this was the objective of the excercise but as the friends feature doesn't really give me anything useful I'm done with it now.

I understand that some people do not want to see their friend's logs in the Recent Logs feed, but why remove your friends? What I do not understand is that 1) we have repeatedly clarified that we are updating the Recent Logs to show only your logs (with the option of seeing your friends), and 2) you are not being forced to use the new page. The friends functionality on the website has historically provided very little value to the game, but we are hoping to change that.

We are not looking to make Geocaching into the next social network, but we know that many people find geocaching more enjoyable when with 1 or more additional people. With that in mind we will be working to make it easier to connect with other people, plan and share experiences, and interact with the community (if you choose).

Where do I find the option of seeing my friends so I can uncheck the box that says I wish to see them? Repeatedly clarifying that you're updating isn't the same as updating. You asked why folks are removing their friends. It is because they don't want to wait for some updating that might happen in the dim distant ... it appears to them ... future. Is there a date when this is scheduled to happen?

Our developers are updating the Dashboard right now to include the ability to toggle off your friends activity and update the layout when viewing only your Recent Logs. We don't have a firm date, but I expect that it will be ready sometime in the next 1-2 weeks. Until then you are more than welcome to use the existing page to view only your activity, but check back soon for more updates.

Hi there. :) To reiterate, we're working on this change currently. We don't have a release date yet - if we did we would have shared it with you. If you would rather use the old page, in the meantime, feel free. Be sure to follow this thread, so once we make the change you will be notified.

Thanks!

Something like this?

More like something like this: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Moun10Bike which can even easily be url-rewritten to the querystring version. We've got top level folder references for many other things, and currently /profile/* is already a base url for a profile lookup with ?guid=* and ?u=*, which is rewritten to /p/default.aspx?... So why not provide another more share-friendly/readable link? biggrin.gif

(to note, there's also coord.info/PR* for profile shortlinks, if you know the PR* code)

More like something like this: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Moun10Bike which can even easily be url-rewritten to the querystring version. We've got top level folder references for many other things, and currently /profile/* is already a base url for a profile lookup with ?guid=* and ?u=*, which is rewritten to /p/default.aspx?... So why not provide another more share-friendly/readable link? biggrin.gif

(to note, there's also coord.info/PR* for profile shortlinks, if you know the PR* code)

Yep! We've discussed it. It would be something we tackle later on in the project, but it's definitely an idea that we've been talking about.

Several people have mentioned wanting to see their recent logs for the last 30 days. Assuming you are looking at only your own logs, can someone help me to understand what you are trying to achieve?

• How often are you scrolling through all of those logs?
  • What are you trying to find? (i.e. updating logs, remembering recent adventures, checking your work - didn't forget anything?)
  • Do you prefer all of the data in a very long (slowly loaded) list or a shorter list that allows paging or requesting more data as needed?

I appreciate you asking what we use the page for because it seems to me you are either trying to make it into something other than a "dashboard" or you have lost sight of something very basic. I want to use it as my dashboard and have the old version linked in my favorite browser on the bookmark bar. I click this link, quickly scan the dashboard and then click through to where I want to go.

Now all the links are missing that take me to the pages that I visit most frequently. I mean these:

Quick View | Lists | Geocaches (Yours) (Recently Viewed) | Trackable Items (Yours) | Trackables Inventory | Trackables Collection | Souvenirs | Statistics | Benchmarks | Member Features | Your Friends

Efficiently in one or two lines. Please do NOT make it "prettier"; Your notion of pretty is opposite of my notion (and with all the complaints about you wasting our display space, I see many agree with me on this). I also frequently use the map icon that shows me my local area; I also sometimes scroll down a bit further to the link that sends me to the Build PQs page. That's it. All the other links are either never used by me or only very rarely (so I am OK with having them further down). So I would really appreciate the new page if it actually could be my dashboard and have all this links so I do not have to scroll to find them.

I do note that there are links on the new page, but they are ones I do not use. If you are going to make me scroll for what I want then I will not be using this page as my dashboard. Can we agree that the links to the most used pages should be seen without scrolling? If so, go look at your web page analytics and it will tell you which URLs need to be in view without scrolling and which should be further down the page.

I have simply defriended all the friends I had selected at this website as my friends, so I am now not seeing their logs cluttering up my display. I used to think the interpretation as to who my friends are was my interpretation to make, but since you obviously won’t respect that, I will not be using your friends feature at all except where my interpretation coincides with your definition. So if that is what you want then you have achieved it. You should expect that this will be how other users will react.

As for viewing logs, on the old page I generally glanced at the list to see that I had not forgotten to log some recent cache finds, and to see if caches I had marked a needing maintenance had been been seen by the cache owner. I cannot think of ever having used it for any other purpose. Again, I want to use anything on the "dashboard" quickly and at a glance. I never expect to spend time there. If this is not the basic design criterion, then call this new page something else but leave the old page as a dashboard.

Edited by Hynr

For me the new dashboard is a completely waste of screen space and totally confusing!

I love the old dashboard page for showing all the information I need and I can't understand that there have to be "new" designs everywhere. It's the same with the new log page layout. I hate it and I'll be using the old one as long as possible.

Please keep up the old designs forever and let the users choose the one they like best!

I have just opened my Dashboard to find out that one of my friends logged 30 new caches so the whole feed is filled up by her finds...

Today it's even worse, one of my friend logged over 200 caches on the weekend (he did a PT) so I am missing more interesting logs from my other friends in the Recent logs section and what's more, I don't see any of my own logs anymore! :(

I am as well starting to support the separation of my own logs and friends' logs. History of both lists should be based on day count instead of logs count. These settings could be user-configurable (within some reasonable range).

I have just opened my Dashboard to find out that one of my friends logged 30 new caches so the whole feed is filled up by her finds...

Today it's even worse, one of my friend logged over 200 caches on the weekend (he did a PT) so I am missing more interesting logs from my other friends in the Recent logs section and what's more, I don't see any of my own logs anymore! :(

I am as well starting to support the separation of my own logs and friends' logs. History of both lists should be based on day count instead of logs count. These settings could be user-configurable (within some reasonable range).

It's only snapshot... At that moment... In a few minutes it may be different...

You have two section now

- Recently Viewed (with button - view all) - I thing OK

(newly - it would be nice)- Recent My Logs (with button - view all) ->> go to Logs (max one day or max 30 log without settin - it is only snapshot)

- Recent Logs (is snapshot at that moment - only overview) - I thing OK

Now in menu is:

Logs - go to the last logs with calendar (Here it is unfinished, I see only a few logs [15]) - Here I should see all the logs plus a calendar for a fast shift between days/years (paging to make it not hard to perform)

In my opinion, from this page would be access to all logs backward.

--

Problem is "Your Geocaching Logs This Month (Max 15 Logs Shown)" !!

And the calendar is clumsy :) !

--

• How often are you scrolling through all of those logs?
  • What are you trying to find? (i.e. updating logs, remembering recent adventures, checking your work - didn't forget anything?)
  • Do you prefer all of the data in a very long (slowly loaded) list or a shorter list that allows paging or requesting more data as needed?

I appreciate you asking what we use the page for because it seems to me you are either trying to make it into something other than a "dashboard" or you have lost sight of something very basic. I want to use it as my dashboard and have the old version linked in my favorite browser on the bookmark bar. I click this link, quickly scan the dashboard and then click through to where I want to go.

Now all the links are missing that take me to the pages that I visit most frequently. I mean these:

Quick View | Lists | Geocaches (Yours) (Recently Viewed) | Trackable Items (Yours) | Trackables Inventory | Trackables Collection | Souvenirs | Statistics | Benchmarks | Member Features | Your Friends

Efficiently in one or two lines. Please do NOT make it "prettier"; Your notion of pretty is opposite of my notion (and with all the complaints about you wasting our display space, I see many agree with me on this). I also frequently use the map icon that shows me my local area; I also sometimes scroll down a bit further to the link that sends me to the Build PQs page. That's it. All the other links are either never used by me or only very rarely (so I am OK with having them further down). So I would really appreciate the new page if it actually could be my dashboard and have all this links so I do not have to scroll to find them.

I do note that there are links on the new page, but they are ones I do not use. If you are going to make me scroll for what I want then I will not be using this page as my dashboard. Can we agree that the links to the most used pages should be seen without scrolling? If so, go look at your web page analytics and it will tell you which URLs need to be in view without scrolling and which should be further down the page.

I have simply defriended all the friends I had selected at this website as my friends, so I am now not seeing their logs cluttering up my display. I used to think the interpretation as to who my friends are was my interpretation to make, but since you obviously won’t respect that, I will not be using your friends feature at all except where my interpretation coincides with your definition. So if that is what you want then you have achieved it. You should expect that this will be how other users will react.

As for viewing logs, on the old page I generally glanced at the list to see that I had not forgotten to log some recent cache finds, and to see if caches I had marked a needing maintenance had been been seen by the cache owner. I cannot think of ever having used it for any other purpose. Again, I want to use anything on the "dashboard" quickly and at a glance. I never expect to spend time there. If this is not the basic design criterion, then call this new page something else but leave the old page as a dashboard.

I agree 100% with everything in there, I could almost have written that reply myself as it's exactly how I use the my/dash board page.

There is so much wrong with the new dashboard - I can hardly see how you will be able to make it into something usable without starting over from the beginning.

• Where do I see my current number of finds?
  • Where do I see how many more caches until I get the next FP?
  • Where do I see the number of hidden caches?

These are at least some things I expect from a dashboard... Plus all of the above discussion...

On the Recent Logs section:

* How about make an inline responsive summary of the past 3-7 days? Something like:

[Yesterday date]: 5 friends posted 167 Found It logs. You found/dnf'd 34 [View your logs]

Friend 1: (summary # finds/dnfs per cache type? summary count of other log types? notes/nm's/etc)

Friend 2. ...etc.

[date 2 days ago]: ...etc

Click to expand your or a friend's logs for the day, up to 30, with a link to view more if there are.

Edited by thebruce0

First of all: This already works for MANY years...

Here's the link to my profile: https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=monsterbox

Just one possible issue: What if the player changes the name? This kind of link is useless then and that's why we need the GUID link, too!

Edited by monsterbox

On the Recent Logs section:

* How about make an inline responsive summary of the past 3-7 days? Something like:

[Yesterday date]: 5 friends posted 167 Found It logs. You found/dnf'd 34 [View your logs]

Friend 1: (summary # finds/dnfs per cache type? summary count of other log types? notes/nm's/etc)

Friend 2. ...etc.

[date 2 days ago]: ...etc

Click to expand your or a friend's logs for the day, up to 30, with a link to view more if there are.

I would just like to have to option to switch off the friends logs. I hardly ever would like to see them and if so I would simply check their profile.

BTW: Same with Recently viewed! Not interested into that part at all as I can't remember having used that at all.

Be patient, both of these things is being worked on...

Recently Viewed: We are looking into options for allowing certain sections, like Recently Viewed, to be collapsible.

Recent Logs: As I mentioned earlier, we will be updating this feed to toggle only your logs.

First of all: This already works for MANY years...

Here's the link to my profile: https://www.geocachi...e/?u=monsterbox

Just one possible issue: What if the player changes the name? This kind of link is useless then and that's why we need the GUID link, too!

First, you missed the key detail - no querystring.

Second, of course we can keep the unique account identifier. (btw if you share the u= version and you change your name, that won't work either)

Third, many, many websites provide a 'friendly' url to user profiles by name, even if the profile name can be changed.

coolsignal.gif

Be patient, both of these things is being worked on...

Recently Viewed: We are looking into options for allowing certain sections, like Recently Viewed, to be collapsible.

Recent Logs: As I mentioned earlier, we will be updating this feed to toggle only your logs.

Yep, I just suggested one step further in response to the concern of mass-friend logging taking over the single friend feed (which isn't assuaged merely by hiding the friend feed). Basically allow filtering for specific friends. If the list is shown by date, why not also show the breakdown of who logged what that date, and let you see only certain friends (so you don't have to see the 200 logged by Joe, and only the 4 logged earlier in the day by Jack)?

And if you don't want to see any logs, you don't have to see any logs (that's what the very brief summary is for ;) and why the entire friend section should still be hideable)

For the "what have your friends been doing" section (which we have been assured will be separate from the "what have you been doing" section), it would be very nice if you could summarize the activity of a dozen friends who have been active recently, rather than just listing the last dozen logs posted by friends.

In other words, I would rather see:

• Alice found This Cache
  • Bob found That Cache and 7 other caches
  • Carol found Another Cache and 2 other caches
  • David found Some Puzzle Cache
  • Esther found Long Multi-Cache and 1 other cache
  • Fred found Awesome EarthCache and 17 other caches

and I would rather not see:

• GoGoGo found PT0001 Power Trail 1000 of 1000
  • GoGoGo found PT0001 Power Trail 0999 of 1000
  • GoGoGo found PT0001 Power Trail 0998 of 1000
  • GoGoGo found PT0001 Power Trail 0997 of 1000
  • GoGoGo found PT0001 Power Trail 0996 of 1000
  • GoGoGo found PT0001 Power Trail 0995 of 1000

and I would rather not even see:

• GoGoGo found Just a Traditional Cache
  • GoGoGo found Simple Puzzle Cache
  • GoGoGo found A Traditional Cache in a Park
  • GoGoGo found Look, It's a Multi-Cache
  • GoGoGo found Amazing EarthCache
  • GoGoGo found A Cool Challenge Cache

FWIW, on Facebook, when friends dominate my feed the way GoGoGo dominated the last two examples, I unfollow those friends.

Just a note, the Recent logs section does not display only FI logs. I can be notified about caches my friend did not find , where he wrote only a note or where he posted NM or even NA (so I am curious about his reason). I like this feature and my friends do as well. I even sort of like its current form - yeah, it sure needs some polishing like direct links to cache pages, reducing the white space and separating my own logs.

As for PTs - I too have a friend who does power trails from time to time (mentioned him in #278) and I strongly hope for a future possibility to opt him out of the Friends recent logs feed while keeping him in the Friends list.

Just a note, the Recent logs section does not display only FI logs. I can be notified about caches my friend did not find , where he wrote only a note or where he posted NM or even NA (so I am curious about his reason). I like this feature and my friends do as well. I even sort of like its current form - yeah, it sure needs some polishing like direct links to cache pages, reducing the white space and separating my own logs.

Yes, that's why I like the idea of the one-line type summary per day per friend rather than a full expanded list of all logs.

June 1:

You found N caches, and posted X NM logs (show logs)

Friend A found N caches, posted N DNFs, and X/Y/Z other log types (show logs)

Friend B posted 15 DNFs (show logs)

May 31:

Friend C ... etc

Yes, that's why I like the idea of the one-line type summary per day per friend rather than a full expanded list of all logs.

June 1:

You found N caches, and posted X NM logs (show logs)

Friend A found N caches, posted N DNFs, and X/Y/Z other log types (show logs)

Friend B posted 15 DNFs (show logs)

May 31:

Friend C ... etc

I was just thinking about the same! This offers lots of potential for everyone. My idea was to give some settings options here:

show/hide friends caching activity

show/hide own caching activity

show full/condensed summary of friends caching activity

show full/condensed summary of own caching activity

(a click somewhere on there pops out the full details of all activities if one is so interested in it and a click on the name would lead to the Friend's public profile)

Example

30/05/2017

Friend

Found 3 DNF 3 Note 1 Attended 10 Gained souvenir 1

You

Found EC blabla...

Found Traditional zya

DNF Multi supermultirun

Edited by terratin

For the "what have your friends been doing" section (which we have been assured will be separate from the "what have you been doing" section), it would be very nice if you could summarize the activity of a dozen friends who have been active recently, rather than just listing the last dozen logs posted by friends.

Summarizing a particularly active player's recent logs is something that we have discussed because seeing every log from a friend on a power trail is not useful. Full disclosure: we do not yet have a technical solution to accomplish this so I can't give any timeline, but we are making big changes behind the scenes and we are hopeful that the system will be able to support summaries in the future.

There is so much wrong with the new dashboard - I can hardly see how you will be able to make it into something usable without starting over from the beginning.

These are at least some things I expect from a dashboard... Plus all of the above discussion...

Where do I see my current number of finds?

This was removed from the Dashboard because it is available on every page in the header at the top right of the page.

Where do I see how many more caches until I get the next FP?

Along the left hand side of the Dashboard, under the Lists section, you will see the number of Favorite points that you have remaining. Next to that is a question mark - hover over that question mark and you will see the number of geocaches until your next favorite point and the total number of favorite points earned.

This was removed from the Dashboard because it is available on every page in the header at the top right of the page.

Where do I see how many more caches until I get the next FP?

Along the left hand side of the Dashboard, under the Lists section, you will see the number of Favorite points that you have remaining. Next to that is a question mark - hover over that question mark and you will see the number of geocaches until your next favorite point and the total number of favorite points earned.

With regards to finds/hides on the dashboard: this would be the place for my finds/dnfs/hides overview. It might be true that it's up in the header everywhere (well, only the finds) but it's something that's easily overlooked.

Hopefully one of the things being considered would be to add another choice on preferences to opt out of seeing friends recent logs altogether! I don't really see the value in it. I would much rather be able to see my own recent logs so that I could do a quick scan to see if any of them need spelling or grammar editing and could do a quick correction.

This weekend I was using the new dashboard view on my Kindle Fire tablet. The Silk browser was collapsing the header on my dashboard page, such that nothing was visible other than a button that could create a drop-down menu that displayed find count. This was not a great inconvenience, but there are apparently times when the header fails to display find count.

I was still able to see find count on the header when viewing cache pages, though.

Just a quick recap following a few days thoughts:

•  
  • There's too much whitespace - keep the metadata in Recently Viewed on one line and reduce the spacing.
  • The last n days of logs should be included, rather than the last n logs.
    If this is considered to be too much load on the servers load them lazily, 20-30 logs at a time, going back as far
    as makes sense. Done like this there's no reason not to go back through all the logs.
  • Friends logs should only be included on request
  • If friend logs aren't being displayed, suppress the 'You' that appears on every line and recover the whitespace.
  • Consider displaying the log date on every Recent Log line instead of the largely invisible block header that holds it at present.

The biggest reason I keep switching back to the old dashboard is the "Your Logs (Last 30 Days)" section. This is a nice condensed set of information that I think a lot of people use.

In the new dashboard, If I click on Logs, I only get the last dozen or so caches I've logged.

The All Geocache section is better, but it only shows Found caches.

After completing a recent road trip, the "Your Logs (Last 30 Days)" section is the only place I can find to scroll through all the caches from the past two weeks.

The biggest reason I keep switching back to the old dashboard is the "Your Logs (Last 30 Days)" section. This is a nice condensed set of information that I think a lot of people use.

In the new dashboard, If I click on Logs, I only get the last dozen or so caches I've logged.

The All Geocache section is better, but it only shows Found caches.

After completing a recent road trip, the "Your Logs (Last 30 Days)" section is the only place I can find to scroll through all the caches from the past two weeks.

This. Really that last log list was the most used aspect of the old dashboard. If in the new one that same list can be produced after adjusting some of the on-page filters or options, then I'll be happy. (well, once all that dreadful whitespace is swept away laughing.gif)

How do I get to my private lists from the new profile page? And is there anyway to summarize the favorites list instead of having to scroll past all the caches we've favorited to get to our public lists?

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54