Release Notes (Website: Updated Profile and Dashboard) - May 16, 2017

So, please, bring the About tab as the default, for all people having made the effort to fill information there.

I know this is a view that will divide opinion, but I disagree. You have a huge profile page, with loads of badges/souvenirs/images from the GSAK stats generator - all of which take time to load and eat up bandwidth. If I want to look at your profile I'm usually doing it for a specific purpose and it's unlikely anyone is going there to look at your GSAK achievements page so I would prefer it to be under the "About" tab where I won't have to wait for it to load unless I'm specifically interested in seeing it.

My own profile page has a bit of info on it, which I'm sure nobody is really interested in so it's fine by me if that's stuck away on the About tab.

I would simply suggest to make that user configurable. Means that _I_ can chose what _I_ want to see as default profile tab. This would give everyone the choice and everyone would be happy then!

I was just about to post the same thing. Have a default view tab option.

Dashboard: I don't miss anything on the old dashboard, I only miss things on every single new page you came up with in the last time ;-) That's why I'm still using the old pages. I'm trying the new ones once a day but up to now they are still unusable for MY needs! But at least I'm still trying :) Today I haven't seen a single of MY finds in the recent logs area even if I've found 12 caches yesterday. So I'm urgently waiting for the moment I can finally turn off the other logs. But I fear I then still best case can see the logs of the last 2 days vs. the 30 in the old version. Please allows us to able to get the same options for the recents as we have with the old version. Would be more than appreciated!

Currently, we are showing the most recent 20 logs. If you are finding 12 caches per day then you correctly would only see about 2 days worth when we display 20 logs. However, if we display the last 30 days then you could have 300+ logs. That makes for a much larger request to the servers which results in a slower response and takes longer to load the data.

Several people have mentioned wanting to see their recent logs for the last 30 days. Assuming you are looking at only your own logs, can someone help me to understand what you are trying to achieve?

•  
  • How often are you scrolling through all of those logs?
  • What are you trying to find? (i.e. updating logs, remembering recent adventures, checking your work - didn't forget anything?)
  • Do you prefer all of the data in a very long (slowly loaded) list or a shorter list that allows paging or requesting more data as needed?

Dashboard: I don't miss anything on the old dashboard, I only miss things on every single new page you came up with in the last time ;-) That's why I'm still using the old pages. I'm trying the new ones once a day but up to now they are still unusable for MY needs! But at least I'm still trying :) Today I haven't seen a single of MY finds in the recent logs area even if I've found 12 caches yesterday. So I'm urgently waiting for the moment I can finally turn off the other logs. But I fear I then still best case can see the logs of the last 2 days vs. the 30 in the old version. Please allows us to able to get the same options for the recents as we have with the old version. Would be more than appreciated!

Currently, we are showing the most recent 20 logs. If you are finding 12 caches per day then you correctly would only see about 2 days worth when we display 20 logs. However, if we display the last 30 days then you could have 300+ logs. That makes for a much larger request to the servers which results in a slower response and takes longer to load the data.

Several people have mentioned wanting to see their recent logs for the last 30 days. Assuming you are looking at only your own logs, can someone help me to understand what you are trying to achieve?

•  
  • What are you trying to find? (i.e. updating logs, remembering recent adventures, checking your work - didn't forget anything?)
  • Do you prefer all of the data in a very long (slowly loaded) list or a shorter list that allows paging or requesting more data as needed?

Well, I might want to know which caches I logged in June 2008. The "all your logs" page can achieve that sluggishly, but the paged approach will usually find what I need faster and with less server load.

•  

I personally am using exactly these logs as the MAIN purpose of my dashboard. I'm keeping track of my finds and trackables (that I addionally save in an EXCEL spreadsheet with all the info incl. TB code, where found, where left and such) and I also want to check for other logs on my visited caches. I for instance just logged a few DNFs as well as NMs and it's very convenient to simply go to the dashboard and keep an eye onto these caches then. Same with tours together with friends. Sometimes I like to see these logs as I'm interested in there view of what happened. And that's way different from seeing ALL the friends' logs :)

How often? Several times a day. And I never ever experienced any delays while loading, at least not in the last years!

What I prefer? Pretty much exactly what we had in the old view. I wouldn't mind getting the GC code in addition! For planning tours I'm only using the code and it's easier that way to find the done ones later and remove them from my planning sheet. Tiny font, no "unneeded" extra icons, links to both cache and log.

Other reasons for ME to use the dashboard:

Access my profile via the Stat Bar (and I'm talking about the old profile with my PERSONAL statistics done by GSAK/FSG.

Access my Lists (and guess what, I also like THAT old version more than the new one. No need to extra click some icons to get access to all possible actions and you can't even create a new list from there :( Only positive new feature is showing the number of found caches within a list.

Access MY geocaches or MY trackables

Superrare: "Find another player"

Never: Recently viewed caches, Search options, Premium features, Lists and User routes (via right side menu), Drafts (never ever use them!)

•  

I use the recent logs mainly while I'm logging. The field notes drafts page provides me with a list of caches that I still need to log. The dashboard's list of recent logs provides me with a list of caches that I have logged.

Sometimes I'm going back to recent logs to add photos. Occasionally I'll update the text content, but more often, I'm updating them by adding photos. And sometimes, I'm copying bits and pieces of text to include in other logs. I'm definitely checking my work, making sure that I don't miss anything, don't log anything twice (no longer an issue for Find logs), and so on.

And generally, I don't need all my logs for the last decade. I just need the ones I've logged recently.

First of all, let's remember that for a long time, this list was the only major function on the profile page. So we're not coming to this list out of the blue and then trying to figure out how to achieve things: our geocaching practices were formed around this list.

I probably scroll deeply into the list about twice a month, but I scroll down a page or two almost every day.

If you're suggesting a more limited list, I think that could work. How long of a list are you thinking would be reasonable? When I click on the link to "view all" of my recently viewed geocaches, I get about 50. I think getting my last 50 logs on the profile page would be enough so I'd rarely notice you limited it.

Although keep in mind that there's no intermediate browsing facility beyond that: my next level is to view all my logs, which has the download time problem you mention times a hundred. So keep in mind you'll need to add an escape route to some list browser if you limit the profile's list too much.

What's it to you? This is my log, just as a geocache's log is its log. Just as with a geocache's log, there are any number of things I could be looking at it for. What am I trying to find? I'm trying to find my most recent logs.

I don't know how you do the log on each individual geocache, but that list has an unlimited number of entries, and I rarely notice it loading. Is that an option?

Barring that, a reasonably large yet still limited number on the profile page would be OK if there's a "view all" link to a pageable browser if I need to see more. Or take me to that old calendar based log viewer, the one called "Geocaches" in the links at the top of the old profile. That one's pretty slick, but there's no link to it from the new profile.

Edited by dprovan

I understand that some people do not want to see their friend's logs in the Recent Logs feed, but why remove your friends? What I do not understand is that 1) we have repeatedly clarified that we are updating the Recent Logs to show only your logs (with the option of seeing your friends), and 2) you are not being forced to use the new page.

With all due respect, dear HiddenGnome, geocaching.com did not necessarily go to great lengths to make themselves appear as if they care about user feedback over the past 2+ years or so.

So I can certainly understand cachers who opt to take matters into their own hands and clean up their news feed by unfriending, rather than to wait for a future update that likely won't ever happen.

After all, I am still running my procmail "frogturd" script from 3 years ago because I don't care squat for all that marketing and images and twitter and facebook clutter that you put into the emails. There was lots of feedback against it, but it never changed.

This thread shows a lot of VERY sensible web site designs, by web professionals no less, who would LOVE to help you with getting things right. It is a bit of a stretch from a for-profit to a non-profit, but I hope you eventually get there, post all your code as OpenSource onto GITHUB, and watch the site TAKE OFF to never-before-imagined levels, at no cost.

Until then: procmail and unfriending: it is.

So, please, bring the About tab as the default, for all people having made the effort to fill information there.

I know this is a view that will divide opinion, but I disagree. You have a huge profile page, with loads of badges/souvenirs/images from the GSAK stats generator - all of which take time to load and eat up bandwidth. If I want to look at your profile I'm usually doing it for a specific purpose and it's unlikely anyone is going there to look at your GSAK achievements page so I would prefer it to be under the "About" tab where I won't have to wait for it to load unless I'm specifically interested in seeing it.

My own profile page has a bit of info on it, which I'm sure nobody is really interested in so it's fine by me if that's stuck away on the About tab.

I would simply suggest to make that user configurable. Means that _I_ can chose what _I_ want to see as default profile tab. This would give everyone the choice and everyone would be happy then!

My "default" Profile Tab has been relegated to last as an "About" Tab. Not happy.

Edited by Marchwood

My "default" Profile Tab has been relegated to last as an "About" Tab. Not happy.

I'm in the same boat, but I understand folk who don't want to see all my profile extras when they look at my profile. Let them choose their preferred tab and let me choose "About". I don't care if it is to the left or the right or in the middle, I just want to see the about tab as my default view.

In regards to the Dashboard page, I agree with the other comments about:

a.) Too much whitespace

b.) Too much scrolling

c.) Wanting to see "my" recent activity separate from "my friends" recent activity

d.) Not enough distinction between the UPPERcase section headers and the Propercase clickable links below

e.) Not enough detail in the "Unpublished xxxxx" page

I think it would be great to have both mobile and desktop versions of these pages (Dashboard and Profile).

Assuming that's not possible, then here are my suggestions:

(1) Move the gear icon for "Settings" to be next to the "View Profile" button. I think the gear icon alone, without the "Settings" label, is sufficient. Most users, especially those that use smartphones, will know what the gear icon represents.

gc-db-settingsicon.png

(2) Under GEOCACHES: Remove "Recently viewed" - it's redundant with the 'View All' link under the 'Recently Viewed' section in the middle column

(3) Under GEOCACHES: Change "Logs" to "Geocache logs"

(4) Under GEOCACHES: Have "Geocache logs" (see #3) link to: https://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx

(5) Under TRACKABLES: Have "Trackable logs" link to: https://www.geocaching.com/my/travelbugs.aspx

gc-db-leftcolumn.png

(6) In the "Recently Viewed" section, I'm okay with having some cache details included - not just the cache name. Even though I may have viewed the caches recently, I may have viewed several and don't remember the details of each of them. However, I would like to see the info condensed and the GC Code added. My preferred display would be:

gc-db-recentlyviewed.png

(7) In the "Recently Viewed" section - Have the geocache name link to the cache page, while "Write note" or "Log geocache" link to the log entry page

(8) Split the "Recent Logs" section into two separate, collapsible sections: "Your Recent Logs" and "Your Friends' Recent Logs"

(9) In the "... Recent Logs" sections - Have the action (Found, Dropped, Took, Didn't Find, etc) link to the individual log's page (coord.info/GLxxxxxx) while the cache name links to the cache page (coord.info/GCxxxxx)

(10) In the "... Recent Logs" sections - Change the way trackable drops are displayed:

Currently: Dropped off [tb name]

Change to: Dropped [tb name] in [cache name]

I agree with all noncentric's suggestions with one extra proviso: each set of logs from my friends are in their own collapsible sections: Fred's logs all together in one section, Mary's logs all together in another section, etc. Also, each friend to be selectable as to whether I receive any logs at all from that friend.

For profiles, may I offer a suggestion for how the top of my profile should look like when I view it: MyOwnProfile.jpg

and when other people view it

OthersProfile.jpg

Note that the picture is exactly as I uploaded it - sized to fit. DNF logs are included (may be an option as not everyone wants them displayed) and, for my own viewing, "About" is the default view.

A couple of things I couldn't work out how to include: All text should be a darker grey (like the "Gill & Tony") and the grey stripey background could be included, I couldn't make the bits I moved transparent, so I erased it.

Thanks for considering this

Tony

Interesting. I have rarely seen a noticeable delay in loading the current "my" page, sometimes with as many as 150 log entries. It seems that you saying that the new layout will perform worse than the existing one.

I look at this list quite often, almost daily. The list is especially useful after a trip out of town with many finds.

The main usefulness for me is being able to see at a glance a representation of my recent caching activity. And I find that 30 day's worth is a perfect-sized chunk to accomplish this. The past "n" logs does not give this to me, because it is missing the time element in an obvious fashion. Similarly, the graphs on the statistics page (while useful in their own right), also do not present information in the same way. I find it very useful to see the types of caches, etc, in this representation, and be able to easily click on specific cache listings or logs.

I also find it very useful after a trip out of town (or a particularly active local cache outing) to be able to quickly access recent logs. Not just finds, but other logs as well (including TBs). I do this for a number of purposes, including setting watches on caches for various reasons, awarding favorite points, or simply going back to ensure that my logs make sense. Limiting to 20 logs negates much of this usefulness.

I prefer the data to be in one list, on one page. Dynamically loading the logs on individual cache pages seems to work well in that context -- keep scrolling to keep getting data. But this is not what I want for the past 30 days logs, since it requires specific action on my part to receive the data and I lose the "snapshot" characteristic of the data. Similarly, splitting into pages negates the benefits of seeing everything on one page as a snapshot.

The page where performance is definitely an issue is when all logs are requested. This seems to load all logs on one page at one time, and indeed takes long enough to complete (for my 9000 records) that it totally freezes my browser for an unreasonable amount of time. Please address this performance issue!

Thanks for listening.

Mh, sorry, but I have never noticed a "slower response" for my last 30 days logs.

The "last 30 days" is perfect to look back to my last activities, looking to recent DNF caches (have they found after my DNF) and so on.

The recent log section has to be time-related (30 days), not number-related (the last 20 logs).

By the way: Why haven't you asked these questions before changing the web sites? Would have been less work load for your web designer...

[...] By the way: Why haven't you asked these questions before changing the web sites? Would have been less work load for your web designer...

Seems to be to obvious for the Teletubbie gang. ;-)

Hans

Mh, sorry, but I have never noticed a "slower response" for my last 30 days logs.

The "last 30 days" is perfect to look back to my last activities, looking to recent DNF caches (have they found after my DNF) and so on.

The recent log section has to be time-related (30 days), not number-related (the last 20 logs).

When you've found 1500 caches during the last 30 days, it's slow. Very slow. So making it behave like the logs on a cache page would be the best. Load as many as you can without affecting performance, and load more on scroll.

By the way: Why haven't you asked these questions before changing the web sites? Would have been less work load for your web designer...

Because they haven't finished changing the site yet. They've just created the framework, and are now asking for feedback. Which I think is great! :)

What's it to you? This is my log, just as a geocache's log is its log. Just as with a geocache's log, there are any number of things I could be looking at it for. What am I trying to find? I'm trying to find my most recent logs.

It occurs to me I should mention that I look at all my logs. I log benchmarks and TBs, so I expect them in the list. I want all types of logs, and I want everything in chronological order, so not sorted by log type or item type or cache type.

•  
    At least two times a week. I mean to the bottom. Besides that I come to the Dashboard every day and usually scroll down a bit to see eventual status change of the caches (disabled/archived) which attracts my attention and I open the cache page to realize what's happened.
    Updating logs - yes, sometimes (+ adding photos). But for me it's more about recent adventures. Thirty days is just about the time I remember details of my adventures, so I scroll down the list of my recent logs, open the cache pages to see whether there were other cachers after my visit, what they thought about the place and the cache and if they enjoyed it as I did (BTW I would LOVE some sort of flag here indicating there are new logs posted since my find so that I do not click needlessly...) If I filed different types of logs like: 1) DNF, 2) NM or 3) NA, then I am even more interested whether: 1) the cache has been eventually found by someone else since my attempt, 2) the CO took an action or other cachers confirmed the bad shape of the cache or 3) the CO took an action to fix and save the cache.
    You are probably mentioning the style logs on cache pages are loaded, right? No problem with shorter list and another items loaded on-demand, I could go as far to the past as I need - those desired 30 days or even more.

Edited by Pontiac_CZ

for me ok 20-30 most recent logs or one day back... It's sufficient...

and my logs are in Recently Viewed and when I press "View all" - I see more for me OK... (one click to more info)

sometimes, occasionally...

Some update or check something in my text... sometime add images to my logs because I havent image immediately...

Again it is occasionally (Usually just a day back)

shorter with paging its better (The choice 25,50,100 and then paging)

---

Perhaps a single note: I would like to set the visibility of the friends' logs, myself. I do not need a log of everyone I have in my friends.

They just don't know who I follow and who not :)

Similar system as a GC Little Helper (VIP) :) is very beneficial but i can understand that it's extras :)

I use my recent log list quite often on the old dash to check back on past finds and DNFs.

I envision a widget that doesn't auto-load anything, but prepopulates with 'default' date range values. Basically a mini-search, with options:

1. checkbox: My logs

2. checkbox: Friends' logs (or maybe an option set for Mine/Friends/Both)

3. date range: start and length, default today and 5 days, but remember the last used length setting

4. checkbox: Include All logs (otherwise show only Find logs)

5. note that a max of I don't know, 200 logs, will be returned.

Quick and easy. The old dashboard would have been an auto-populated list of only My logs, All log types, for 30 days. This way you're expanding the functionality of that list, while making it an asynchronous call that takes up no more system resources (even less, I'd say, since it's asynchronous by request)

The "All logs" link is really bad since it shows your entire career, and that is bad both for system resources and bandwidth. Especially off the first link on the new dash. It should either go to the summary, or a filterable list. But the Recent Logs widget on the new dash I'd request to have the sort of functionality I listed above.

Technically, their benefit is to provide more immediate visual confirmation of page loading; zippier loading of the bounding frame structures with content loaded unintrusively, less bottlenecking by breaking down the segments that can be loaded independently of each other. It's more popular now with the more widespread use of mobile devices where bandwidth may be of more concern, but moreso in the recent past when rendering times were slower on mobile devices than PCs. Asynchronous loading doesn't hang the browser with HTML rendering leaving it to do other things (like interact with the user) while it waits for other data transfers to complete. There are numerous benefits.

The issues you cite are with bad and unoptimized programming and implementation, not the inherent methodology.

That said, most mobile devices are now much more powerful and can render full-page content much more quickly than they used to, so using asynchronous loading 'for the sake of it' is definitely of less importance and benefit now.

If the html file is really large then "immediate visual confirmation of page loading" and "zippier loading of the bounding frame structures" are rational reasons for adding additional complexity to the site. Another reason is if something has to be changed after the page is complete - like the "New message indicator" of the message center.

Let's look at the dashboard: The old version is 1.5 MB in size, the new one 2.0 MB (for my profile, with some caches in history/friend-logs and with all related files).

Now I made a simulation of 3G networking (750kbit/s) - at least in Germany this is the least usable mobile connection (forget GPS and EDGE).

The DOM of the old version took 11.31 s until completion - as the stylesheet arrived in the meantime and assuming all size-information for missing images is given, this is where the browser could render and display the whole page. All 91 requests completed after 14.61 s.

The new version took 7.15 s for DOM completion and 24 s for all 104 requests are finished successfully.

On these tests I conclude that the 3 Seconds the "bounding frame structures" arrives earlier don't outweigh the overhead and complexity.

OK, I'm not a professional web designer - just an interested hobbyist ... I did some jobs in the past, where web technologies played some role, but far not comparable to a huge project like geocaching.com. I also admit, that my tests are just simple estimations, for example I disregarded that many modern browsers try to show the page as soon as possible.

Like I said, the implementation is where the problems will lie, not the methodology of asynchronous content loading - I didn't say Groundspeak's implementation was optimal :P

As this answer took me longer than an hour to write (it's difficult for me to write long English texts and I try hard to avoid mistakes), I conclude that I finally don't care what could be best for Dashboard behind the scene. Of course it'll be what Groundspeak thinks fits best.

Hopefully they're right, but the track record isn't really demonstrating that (at least by general sentiment expressed in the forums) - then again, none of us have full access to their crowd-testing statistics and results that lead to many of their decisions :(, and the negative user feedback is always louder than the positive.

Especially in these forums omnomnom.gif

First of all, let's remember that for a long time, this list was the only major function on the profile page. So we're not coming to this list out of the blue and then trying to figure out how to achieve things: our geocaching practices were formed around this list.

I was not trying to imply that anyone is doing anything incorrectly. In many ways the website is a special snowflake that the community has learned to work with (and around). I am trying to understand both how people are using the tools in the current website as well as how they would like to use the tools in an ideal world.

I understand that some people do not want to see their friend's logs in the Recent Logs feed, but why remove your friends? What I do not understand is that 1) we have repeatedly clarified that we are updating the Recent Logs to show only your logs (with the option of seeing your friends), and 2) you are not being forced to use the new page.

With all due respect, dear HiddenGnome, geocaching.com did not necessarily go to great lengths to make themselves appear as if they care about user feedback over the past 2+ years or so.

So I can certainly understand cachers who opt to take matters into their own hands and clean up their news feed by unfriending, rather than to wait for a future update that likely won't ever happen.

You make a fair point and I agree that the current reaction to the Profile and Dashboard is largely a learned response from previous feature releases. I am hopeful that we can improve our process for releasing new features to make it more transparent about what out expectations our for products ahead of time.

We have asked many people, many questions during every phase of this project. However, like anything you can ask 10 people the same question and get 10 different answers. My philosophy is to provide a framework that allows rapid iteration based on community feedback. We have to start somewhere and whether or not you like the first version there will be more iterations coming.

The "All logs" link is really bad since it shows your entire career, and that is bad both for system resources and bandwidth. Especially off the first link on the new dash. It should either go to the summary, or a filterable list. But the Recent Logs widget on the new dash I'd request to have the sort of functionality I listed above.

We realized along the way that there are at least 3 different pages for viewing your geocache logs and each one provides slightly different functionality that brings value. One version includes paging so it loads faster, another displays better information and the last provides filtering. We would ideally like to consolidate and improve the "all logs" page, but we need to investigate further what functionality is required in the most situations because loading a page with thousands of logs is not a good experience.

It occurs to me I should mention that I look at all my logs. I log benchmarks and TBs, so I expect them in the list. I want all types of logs, and I want everything in chronological order, so not sorted by log type or item type or cache type.
That seems so obvious to me, but I guess it does need to be mentioned. So I'm another person who accesses logs that are related by date, even if they're different types (Finds, DNFs, NMs, TB logs, and even the rare BM log). Segregating logs on the same date based on their type is perhaps a mild annoyance. But at least logs from the same date would still be together, even if they aren't in the order they were posted. But segregating logs from a span of dates based on their type would be a big annoyance.

I was not trying to imply that anyone is doing anything incorrectly.

I did not think you were saying anyone was doing anything wrong. Your questions implied that you were trying to get a better handle on what we wanted to do so you could change the list to better fit our needs, and I was merely emphasizing that our needs are defined by the current functionality, and the current functionality is defined by our needs. I'm not trying to talk you out of making improvements, but when you ask questions like this, you're going to get people answering with whatever whizzbang function they've always wanted without any consideration for how that feature will undermine the more fundamental features that we all take for granted.

In many ways the website is a special snowflake that the community has learned to work with (and around). I am trying to understand both how people are using the tools in the current website as well as how they would like to use the tools in an ideal world.

You call it a special snowflake and make it sound like geocachers tiptoe around it. I see this list as battle hardened, adapted and proved through the years to provide geocachers with an essential service. A failure to appreciate that led to several key features of the original list being lost in the replacement.

Let me give an example. The primary link being to the cache itself was a carefully considered choice that's obviously correct to anyone using the list, but the replacement page assumed that link was unimportant and arbitrary, so it was eliminated it in favor of the almost never useful link to the cache log itself.

We have asked many people, many questions during every phase of this project. However, like anything you can ask 10 people the same question and get 10 different answers. My philosophy is to provide a framework that allows rapid iteration based on community feedback. We have to start somewhere and whether or not you like the first version there will be more iterations coming.

I agree ...

In my opinion, the dashboard is just a preview of the actual state (quick view)... and from there it should lead to more detailed protocols ..

- to my protocols

- to my caches

- to lists

- to pocket queries

- to founded caches

- to TB/GC

I think people often do not understand the role of the dashboard and make it different than it should be

Edited by DrakMrak
That seems so obvious to me, but I guess it does need to be mentioned.

I realized I had to mention it no matter how obvious it was since they didn't do it that way. It specifically occurred to me that if they heard "I look at caches because I want to to this, that, and the other thing," they were likely to say to themselves, "Ah-hah! They only use it to look at caches!"

Segregating logs on the same date based on their type is perhaps a mild annoyance.

I concede that it might be considered a matter of opinion, but I think ordering a chronological list of logs by type is fundamentally broken, not merely mildly annoying. And while I consider it conceptually wrong, in practice it doesn't work, either, because those other types, being at the end of the list, will be dropped first when the list is truncated. That's what brought this up: I didn't think TBs were listed at all because the TB logs I did that day had scrolled off the end of the list even though the corresponding find logs were at the top.

What could still be there

- The dashboard could see my caches with need maintenance/need archive + DNF on my caches /section maintenance

- Maybe even prepared caches (not published)

It's just a snapshot of the current state

Dashboard updates

•  
  • Reduce avatar size in Recent Logs feed - Previously the image url was using the original image which was resized using CSS. We have updated the image size to deliver a more reasonably sized image, but it looks like the CSS didn't make it along so the image is still displayed at 50x50 instead of 40x40. We'll follow up shortly with the CSS.
  • Change the Geocache 'Logs' link in sidebar to point to /my/geocaches.aspx
  • Update the "Log Geocache" link to go to new logging page
  • Update breadcrumbs that navigate back to the dashboard
  • Update translations in several languages to fix an encoding issue

Update: the avatar in the Recent Logs is now sized at 40x40.

Edited by HiddenGnome
The primary link being to the cache itself was a carefully considered choice that's obviously correct to anyone using the list, but the replacement page assumed that link was unimportant and arbitrary, so it was eliminated it in favor of the almost never useful link to the cache log itself.

Subtle but significant!

This was a bad move.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Profile updates

•  
  • Update the behavior of the tabs on the Profile to reduce the scrolling that is required when switching between tabs or paging in the gallery
  • Add the ability to deep link directly to a specific tab on the Profile

This is a small update to the profile to make it easier to navigate between tabs without needing to repeatedly scroll back down every time. In order to avoid scrolling we are including a url fragment that will anchor at the top of the profile section (below the avatar). This allows the profile information to still be visible (which is important when sharing the url) while also displaying the same amount of content in the tabs as the old profile page. In some cases you will see the screen "flicker" when navigating between tabs when the window jumps down to the profile section. We are looking into alternate solutions, but wanted to make something available.

Profile updates

•  
  • Update the behavior of the tabs on the Profile to reduce the scrolling that is required when switching between tabs or paging in the gallery

This is a small update to the profile to make it easier to navigate between tabs without needing to repeatedly scroll back down every time. In order to avoid scrolling we are including a url fragment that will anchor at the top of the profile section (below the avatar). This allows the profile information to still be visible (which is important when sharing the url) while also displaying the same amount of content in the tabs as the old profile page. In some cases you will see the screen "flicker" when navigating between tabs when the window jumps down to the profile section. We are looking into alternate solutions, but wanted to make something available.

I really like the idea that each tab has a URL, allowing me to link to a specific tab.

But I did notice a glitch. When I click across the row of tabs, the page scrolls up and down, moving the tabs up and down.

When there is plenty of content to allow the tab to scroll freely (e.g., my Trackables tab or my Souvenirs tab), then the page scrolls up so my geocaching name is at the very top of the window.

But when there isn't enough content to allow the tab to scroll freely (e.g., my Statistics tab, at least until I get around to renewing my premium membership, or my Geocaches tab, which has a fixed height), then the top of the window shows the top of the page, or possibly something between the top of the page and my geocaching name.

This has the perceived effect of bouncing the row of tabs up and down as I move across the row, clicking each tab in sequence.

(FWIW, my display right now is 1080px wide by 1920px high.)

Profile updates

[...]

Thanks. Specifically the link to the gallery was long awaited. smile.gif

Hans

Dashboard updates

• Update the "Log Geocache" link to go to new logging page
  • Update breadcrumbs that navigate back to the dashboard

If you click Log Geocache on a recently viewed dashboard cache, the breadcrumb on the log page takes you back to the cache page and not the dashboard. Breadcrumbs should return you in the path you followed. A link to the cache page can also be provided but the breadcrumb should take you back to the dashboard in this case.

Profile updates

•  

Avatar on profile still HUGE ;) In addition I would suggest placing joined and last visited dates left besides trackables and town. Saves space!

I also wonder why you made the view smaller than before. Don't get the reason and it brakes my personal profile (About) as the right 20+ pixels will just be cut off now :(

Profile updates

On the profile, when I click the Stats tab I now see:

Two instances of the Finds for each day of the year calendar, one above the other.

Two instances of the D/T grid, one above the other.

The "Cache types I've found" and "Distance to Finds" tables have a horizontal scroll bar, even though the whole table (apparently) fits within the pane.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Profile updates

Two instances of the Finds for each day of the year calendar, one above the other.

The Cache types I've found table has a horizontal scroll bar, even though the whole table (apparently) fits within the pane.

Also on the Lists tab, my Favourites (hundreds of them) are listed first, I then have to scroll all the way through them to get to the Bookmarks List section at the bottom, which doesn't show any of my bookmark lists !

The Bookmark Lists bit obviously shouldn't be empty, and it should also be listed above the favourites, as I suspect most people will have far more favourites than bookmark lists and it's unlikely that we'll want to look at our list of favourites very often, whereas the bookmarks will be more frequently used and so should be at the top.

Also the "Cache Sizes I've Found" is incorrectly headed "Cache Types I've Found" so there are now two boxes with the same name but different content.

Profile updates

... We are looking into alternate solutions, but wanted to make something available.

Appreciate the quick response and understand that this might not be the final, optimal solution.

For me the fact that scrolling down to the #profilepanel loses all the header and links above the fold is not great. I would like to see the header links kept on the page.

I think this could be helped by combining these two banners into one, it's just a waste of screen realestate to keep them separate when they could so easily sit on the same banner, and combining them would save a lot of wasted space on the profile and dashboard pages:

a1e01640-6b0e-46a5-bc37-d42087726c6a.png

I think this could be helped by combining these two banners into one, it's just a waste of screen realestate to keep them separate when they could so easily sit on the same banner, and combining them would save a lot of wasted space on the profile and dashboard pages:

It may be possible to combine these banners for some users, but not for all. On my current display, the left-most part of the top banner ("niraD") and the right-most part of the bottom banner ("Shop") overlap.

It may be possible to combine these banners for some users, but not for all. On my current display, the left-most part of the top banner ("niraD") and the right-most part of the bottom banner ("Shop") overlap.

Yes I can make that happen by zooming in on the profile page, but surely that could be handled by variable spacing ?

Interestingly on the Dashboard page if I zoom in to the level where they would overlap (180%) then everything from these two banners (apart from the Geocaching name/logo), and all the links from the page footer are all collapsed into a pop-out side menu on the right, when that menu is brought out then it pushes the left menu off the page, and disables scrolling in the main part of the page. It all gets a bit weird.

Profile updates

•  

I am glad there is finally a url link to the gallery so that I can bookmark it. But it should also make it possible to add a link to the gallery from the dashboard, which is my long-held wish. Or, for that matter to allow users the option to select a tab to be the default when someone opens the profile.

Yes I can make that happen by zooming in on the profile page, but surely that could be handled by variable spacing ?

Interestingly on the Dashboard page if I zoom in to the level where they would overlap (180%) then everything from these two banners (apart from the Geocaching name/logo), and all the links from the page footer are all collapsed into a pop-out side menu on the right, when that menu is brought out then it pushes the left menu off the page, and disables scrolling in the main part of the page. It all gets a bit weird.

It sounds like your zooming has triggered some sort of mobile/tablet view.

I'm just using a full-screen window on a display that is 1080px wide by 1920px high, with no zoom and no minimum font size.

A couple times a day, on days that I submit logs. I tend to submit logs in chunks and constantly have a backlog of field notes, so there are some days that I don't look at the 30 days activity.

Reminders of caches that I've logged DNF/NM/NA/WN to make sure I didn't forget something or to click on the cache name to see if there has been additional activity on those caches. I don't put them all on my Watchlist because I don't necessarily want every log for them, just to check back on them when I'm interested in them.
    Reminders of the trackable movements I've logged, particularly which cache those trackables were logged into.
    In particular though, I want to see the dates associated with the logs (old dashboard) rather than the dates that I submitted the logs (new dashboard).

I would prefer a short list, maybe 20-30 records, with the option to Load More.

Additional considerations for the Recent Logs section:

-- I'd like to have separate links for the cache itself vs my submitted cache log.

-- I'd like to see the date on each record, rather than having them grouped where I have to refer up to find what date I'm looking at.

-- I'd like to see the icons normalized. Right now, there's a mix of log type icons and cache type icons.

Something like:

[cacher profile link] [log type icon] [log type linked to log] [cache type icon] [cache name linked to cache] on ['Date Logged' date]

My Recent Logs:

You [smiley] Found [green box] Camel's Prairie Stash on [date]

You [frownie] Didn't Find [question mark] This cache is a mystery on [date]

You [envelope] Will Attend [red message box] CITO: Let's Clean Up the town! on [date]

My Friends' Recent Logs:

Friend-1 [frownie] Didn't Find [question mark] This cache is a mystery on [date]

Friend-2 [envelope] Will Attend [red message box] CITO: Let's Clean Up the town! on [date]

Friend-1 [smiley] Found [green box] Camel's Prairie Stash on [date]

Of course, it would seem silly to have "You" for every entry in a "My Recent Logs" section, but it would be a good first step.

Dashboard updates

• Change the Geocache 'Logs' link in sidebar to point to /my/geocaches.aspx

Thanks for this, and for the other Dashboard/Profile edits that were made today.

As you noted earlier, there are indeed multiple places to view our logs, but this is the only place where multiple logs are shown with their full text - besides opening each individual log.

The other thing that's great about the current version of the /my/geocaches.aspx page is that it has the calendar widget.

I hope an upcoming update will happen for the trackable logs.

We have asked many people, many questions during every phase of this project. However, like anything you can ask 10 people the same question and get 10 different answers.

If you ask 10 people and get 10 different answers, you're asking the wrong questions. And, indeed, I know you do because I've taken a few different GS survey's now, and the questions are almost always along the lines of "What don't you like about X?", an open ended question that's a sure way to get 10 different pet peeves out of 10 people without getting any insight into the feature that's already working.

My philosophy is to provide a framework that allows rapid iteration based on community feedback. We have to start somewhere and whether or not you like the first version there will be more iterations coming.

That's great and all, but if you were serious, you'd starting by reimplementing the existing feature and start there. Over and over, GS does fundamental changes that overturn existing practice, and then do little tweaks to fix the superficial problems -- problems that are typically so obvious, they shouldn't have been there to begin with -- until everyone forgets about the larger change that made everything fundamentally worse.

- The dashboard could see my caches with need maintenance/need archive + DNF on my caches /section maintenance

- Maybe even prepared caches (not published)

I second this. As for the DNFs I think e-mail notification is sufficient but there should be something alerting a cache owner that his cache needs maintenance. Many COs simply miss or overlook the notifying e-mails. Often their caches are even correctly maintained but they're not aware of the NM flags still present on cache pages.

•  

I personally am using exactly these logs as the MAIN purpose of my dashboard. I'm keeping track of my finds and trackables (that I addionally save in an EXCEL spreadsheet with all the info incl. TB code, where found, where left and such) and I also want to check for other logs on my visited caches. I for instance just logged a few DNFs as well as NMs and it's very convenient to simply go to the dashboard and keep an eye onto these caches then. Same with tours together with friends. Sometimes I like to see these logs as I'm interested in there view of what happened. And that's way different from seeing ALL the friends' logs :)

How often? Several times a day. And I never ever experienced any delays while loading, at least not in the last years!

What I prefer? Pretty much exactly what we had in the old view. I wouldn't mind getting the GC code in addition! For planning tours I'm only using the code and it's easier that way to find the done ones later and remove them from my planning sheet. Tiny font, no "unneeded" extra icons, links to both cache and log.

Other reasons for ME to use the dashboard:

Access my profile via the Stat Bar (and I'm talking about the old profile with my PERSONAL statistics done by GSAK/FSG.

Access my Lists (and guess what, I also like THAT old version more than the new one. No need to extra click some icons to get access to all possible actions and you can't even create a new list from there :( Only positive new feature is showing the number of found caches within a list.

Access MY geocaches or MY trackables

Superrare: "Find another player"

Never: Recently viewed caches, Search options, Premium features, Lists and User routes (via right side menu), Drafts (never ever use them!)

for me: https://www.geocaching.com/my is where I enter when opening geocaching.com. There's no reason for me to start at the actual startpage as it offers nothing to me that I need.

From https://www.geocaching.com/my I

recently viewed caches: might click on them to log caches easily that I've found.

click on the map to the right to search for caches nearby that I would like to find (I never use the search)

Go to my Lists

Go to Build pocketqueries

Chose the My Profile link or my Stats bar to look at my stats or souvenirs

and I might create a route

As you see I hardly ever use the menu at the top as scrolling down and clicking on a link is less annoying for me than having to click on the menu and then the link. I might use the quicklinks though, but I often just don't even see them.

That would certainly work for me.

Well this is curious, and slightly hard to read:

In the dashboard's list of owned caches at https://www.geocachi...m/my/owned.aspx (and maybe elsewhere), you're using images to hold the D/T/size. I can only assume that's to foil web scrapers.

7ba46c9e-80fc-4592-a16d-706f573de2ee.jpg

Unfortunately, it also foils accessibility. That skinny font really stands out because it's the only text on my screen that doesn't respect my choice of custom font.

No big deal.

(You also foiled my attempt at screenshotting that image directly, but then I wasn't trying very hard.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Profile updates

The "Cache types I've found" and "Distance to Finds" tables have a horizontal scroll bar, even though the whole table (apparently) fits within the pane.

Thanks for letting us know about the duplicate charts. The page loading lifecycle to render the page changed slightly on the new profile when we enabled bookamrkable tabs which is causing those controls to get loaded twice. We're working to remove the duplicates.

Well this is curious, and slightly hard to read:

In the dashboard's list of owned caches at https://www.geocachi...m/my/owned.aspx (and maybe elsewhere), you're using images to hold the D/T/size. I can only assume that's to foil web scrapers.

FYI the D/T rating that you are referring to has not changed in 4-5 years. Except for creating a new page for unpublished caches (which has more changes planned) we did not make changes to any of the pages that are being linked to from the Dashboard. Those pages were all linked from the old Dashboard. The only change is that the links were consolidated and in a couple of cases a duplicate link was removed.