Restrictions in the App

Hello everyone,

I am new to geocaching and have a question concerning the app. For the last (and first) week i have used c:geo and I could do every cache except the premium caches of course. Now I have downloaded the official geocaching app and I can't even view mystery caches anymore? Do I really have to buy premium to do that, or what am I doing wrong? I originally downloaded the official app because someone said that you can only do a limited number of caches per day. Is that also true? I just want to be sure, so that I am not disappointed when I buy premium.

I am looking forward to your answers!

• Upvote 1

Good question. I notice no one had touched it. I have been into geocaching off and on for many years. I have paid for premium membership and also gone without. But I do not like the new format. You are trying to force us to pay for the membership by limiting visible caches. I do not agree with your tactics.Between the lame park and grabs that are just for quantity and not having access to earth caches or even multi caches, I am losing my desire to play. Just speaking my mind. TFTC.......well, maybe not.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:08 PM, jefflebow said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to geocaching and have a question concerning the app. For the last (and first) week i have used c:geo and I could do every cache except the premium caches of course. Now I have downloaded the official geocaching app and I can't even view mystery caches anymore? Do I really have to buy premium to do that, or what am I doing wrong? I originally downloaded the official app because someone said that you can only do a limited number of caches per day. Is that also true? I just want to be sure, so that I am not disappointed when I buy premium.

I am looking forward to your answers!

Yes - to have full access to Geocaching through the official geocaching app, you have to upgrade your membership to premium. There are other ways to access everything but Premium Member Only caches -- 3rd party apps, using the website and a GPSr.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:08 PM, jefflebow said:

The official Geocaching app developed by Groundspeak does not have a 'daily limit', just restrictions on D/T and cache types.  HERE is a helpful chart of Basic vs Premium via the official app.

Note that this week, Aug 7-16, the D/T restriction for Traditional caches is being removed for the Mary Hyde promotion.

The 3 caches/day limitation applies to API Partner apps.  The API Partner apps are not required to apply a D/T rating restriction, according to the API License Agreement.  Below is what the License Agreement specifies.  Whether the app devs follow these restrictions or not is a different matter.

1. Features and Geocaching Data provide through the API shall be available only to authorized geocaching.com account holders with the following limitations which are subject to change at the discretion of Groundspeak:

a. Basic Members shall be limited to viewing full geocache details for up to 3 Geocaches per day. Prior to viewing the full details for each of the 3 geocache listings, the Basic Member must be notified of this restriction using text supplied by Groundspeak or, in the absence of text supplied by Groundspeak, text which is substantially similar to the text displayed in Exhibit B.
b. Geocache search results for Basic Members shall be limited to Traditional Geocache Listings only.
c. Basic Members may request full geocache details for non-Traditional Geocaches using the GC reference code; however, they will remain subject to the limitation of 3 as set forth in section 1a above.

Premium membership is not just about having more access via the app. There are other benefits of Premium Membership, which are listed HERE, that can make searching and planning cache hunts easier.