Want to try a Wherigo

NanCycle

I'm a long-time geocacher using a Garmin Montana GPS and before that a Garmin Legend. I don't think that either of those will do a Wherigo.

I have an Android phone that I want to try but I've gotten stuck pretty early in the process.

What I've done:

Loaded WhereYouGo app from Google PlayStore.

In settings, entered my Geocaching Name and password in Login credentials

Hit Start and got "No Wherigo cartridge available. Add cartridge file (*.gwc) into storage/emulated/0/Android/data/menion.android.whereyougo/files/directory and start WhereYouGo again!"

OK. now what? Please, very basic instructions, as though you were explaining it to your grandmother.

First and most basic I guess--does the phone work as a stand-alone device or do I need to plug it into the computer?

If it needs to be connected to the computer, I am using a MAC.

I'm a long-time geocacher using a Garmin Montana GPS and before that a Garmin Legend. I don't think that either of those will do a Wherigo.

I have an Android phone that I want to try but I've gotten stuck pretty early in the process.

What I've done:

Hit Start and got "No Wherigo cartridge available. Add cartridge file (*.gwc) into storage/emulated/0/Android/data/menion.android.whereyougo/files/directory and start WhereYouGo again!"

OK. now what? Please, very basic instructions, as though you were explaining it to your grandmother.

First and most basic I guess--does the phone work as a stand-alone device or do I need to plug it into the computer?

What I do to get the cartridge loaded on my android phone is to navigate to the cache page with my phone and then click on the link for the Wherigo cartridge. My phone will then open the download page in the WhereYouGo app. Just click on download and everything should d/l automatically

. I've done it by tethering my phone to the computer as well, but I've found that to be more complicated and my latest Nexus doesn't seem to like that method as I couldn't get it to work.

What I've done:

What I do to get the cartridge loaded on my android phone is to navigate to the cache page with my phone and then click on the link for the Wherigo cartridge. My phone will then open the download page in the WhereYouGo app. Just click on download and everything should d/l automatically

. I've done it by tethering my phone to the computer as well, but I've found that to be more complicated and my latest Nexus doesn't seem to like that method as I couldn't get it to work.

Well, that's a start! I got to Download cartridge file for:

Garmin Colorado

Garmin Oregon

Garmin Nuvi 500

Pocket PC Device I chose this and hit Download, and restarted WhereYouGo and got the same message.

Something that is confusing me--the phone is talking about using "the Wherigo Player" and the app I loaded is called "WhereYouGo" -- same thing? or not?

What I've done:

Garmin Colorado

Garmin Oregon

Garmin Nuvi 500

Pocket PC Device I chose this and hit Download, and restarted WhereYouGo and got the same message.

Something that is confusing me--the phone is talking about using "the Wherigo Player" and the app I loaded is called "WhereYouGo" -- same thing? or not?

The WhereYouGo app is the Wherigo player for android.

Edit-For some reason, I cannot upload my screenshot of the WhereYouGo download screen.

Edited by Crow-T-Robot

What I've done:

Garmin Colorado

Garmin Oregon

Garmin Nuvi 500

The WhereYouGo app is the Wherigo player for android.

Edit-For some reason, I cannot upload my screenshot of the WhereYouGo download screen.

Thanks for the clarification of Wherigo vs WhereYouGo.

Somewhere (I can't find it now) in these forums I read that the Wherigo can't be downloaded to the device unless there is an SD card in it. True?

Showing my total ignorance, but I'm guessing that the SIM card doesn't suffice as an SD card, right?

I've got the .gwc file downloaded to my computer but don't have the option of anywhere to drag it to. So I guess I'm stuck until/unless I get an SD card in my phone, right?

Thanks.

You should be able to tell WhereYouGo to monitor your device's downloads folder. If you do that, you won't have to move the cartridge to WhereYouGo's folder after downloading it. I think it makes things easier that way.

One other thing I came across when showing others how to do Wherigo. In WhereYouGo, there's a way to turn the GPS off, I think by tapping the GPS screen. Doing that, of course, will prevent you from playing cartridges and have you wondering what's going on. I'm pointing it out in case it ever happens to you.

(One day, I hope we'll have a Wherigo API and be done with the weirdness behind downloading cartridges...)

==============================================

I have a Samsung 8+ phone.   Instructions on how to run Wherigo's are spread out on the forum from 2008 to 2015.    There is NOTHING to help me with something that appears to run smoothly on an iphone or Oregon.    Here is what I have done:

1)   Loaded Whereyougo from the App Store.

2)   Downloaded a File Manger from the App Store

3)   Created a directory/folder structure on my phone as defined within Whereyougo after hitting the [Start] button

/Storage/Emulated/0/Android/data/menion.android.whereyougo/Files/

4)  Downloaded a Wherigo cartridge from the cache page into a folder/directory on my Windows 7 PC.

5)  Copied the (*.gwc) from my PC into the directory on my phone.   

6)  When I press the [Start] button within Whereyougo, the error response displayed is "No Wherigo cartridge (*.gwc) is available in the directory (see #3 above). {PART II} You can also set a path to custom directory in "Settings - Main - Wherigo folder".  Make sure you granted the application permission to write to external storage and you have write permission in selected directory.  Some newer devices don't allow writing to SD card.   If you're not sure, set "Wherigo folder" automatically.

7)  I have no idea what the heck {Part II} is all about.

This should be a slam dunk ...... RIGHT?   

Who can provide a simple process that will work for a popular Android (Samsung) phone?

==============================================

Hello Ranger Fox,

I was able to accomplish the task of loading a Wherigo onto my phone.   When bringing up the cache page in Chrome, I clicked on "Related Web Page" and was given two choices to open up the file .... 1)  Whereyougo 2) Chrome.   I decided to click on Whereyougo and the cartridge downloaded successfully after i validated my logonID and password.   I went into another Wherigo and clicked on Related Web Page and this time whereyougo started up automatically which makes sense.   I went hunting for the location where these (*.GWC) file are stored.  Found them in /Android/data/menion.android.whereyougo/Files/.   The nearest one is 50 miles from Olympia, Wa.   The compass function is working so now it's up to me to get out and check out the instructions. 

I assume it's a manual process to purge these (*.GWC) files once I've completed them?   I didn't see any cartridge management system.  

Thanks much,

Well, I'm back with more issues.  A few months ago I did https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6BET8_combi-nation and thought I had this Wherigo thing figured out.  So a couple weeks ago, May 4 to be exact, I was in Dallas and wanted to do https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5N10Y_dealey-plaza-the-grassy-knoll .  I got to the point where the app said I was at 1 m from the first location (posted coordinates),  I couldn't get any closer and didn't ever get any more information.  Admittedly, I didn't have much patience that morning as 1) it was raining and 2) there was a van load of people just a few feet away and I assumed they were all watching me.  As you can imagine, this is a very special location and I was very disappointed that I was unable to complete the Wherigo.  I don't know that I have any specific questions, but is there anything that anyone can tell me to help make my next attempt at a Wherigo more likely to be successful?

When you started the cartridge, did you look at the list of locations you could visit?  If not, try that.  Not everything will pop up on the screen when you start playing.  Almost all cartridges involve locations, so make that top menu (or the map) your best friend.

Did you start the cartridge right where the first location was?  If so, you might want to try walking away by twenty-five feet and then going back.  Some locations have things that trigger when you approach them.  If you just appear inside the location, I can understand how nothing happened.

The Dealey Plaza one isn't one of those cartridges, but others have characters and items with which you can interact.  The trick is to look at the menu to see if it lists anything you see at a location.  There's that "you see" menu that could contain things.

13 minutes ago, Ranger Fox said:

When you started the cartridge, did you look at the list of locations you could visit?    No, I'll try to remember to do that in the future.

Did you start the cartridge right where the first location was?  No, I had started it a good distance away, but I'll keep that in mind also.

The Dealey Plaza one isn't one of those cartridges, but others have characters and items with which you can interact.  The trick is to look at the menu to see if it lists anything you see at a location.  There's that "you see" menu that could contain things.  OK, look at the menu too.  Thanks for the tips.