Cachers who say they'll award FP, but don't

On several occasions, I've received a found log on one of my caches along the lines of "love this cache - FP awarded", but when I check the stats, I find that for some reason they haven't. I suspect the usual reason is that they've forgotten to tick the box when logging the cache. I'm sure it's usually not deliberate, and I'm not casting blame as I've probably done it myself. The question is, would it be considered rude to contact them and politely ask them to award the FP? I don't want to be seen as fishing for points, but I don't want to miss out either.

The question is, would it be considered rude to contact them and politely ask them to award the FP? I don't want to be seen as fishing for points, but I don't want to miss out either.

I don't think it would be rude; at least I wouldn't be offended. Just a gentle reminder, like for a dental visit or a colonoscopy :D

The question is, would it be considered rude to contact them and politely ask them to award the FP? I don't want to be seen as fishing for points, but I don't want to miss out either.
I don't think it would be rude; at least I wouldn't be offended. Just a gentle reminder, like for a dental visit or a colonoscopy :D
What a great way to sell it... <_<

But actually, a simple comment mentioning that they don't seem to have left the FP, especially if you can show them how to log their FPs successfully, might not be a bad idea.

I wouldn't be offended, but plenty of people enjoy being offended, they'll be along soon to let you know! rolleyes.gif

On several occasions, I've received a found log on one of my caches along the lines of "love this cache - FP awarded", but when I check the stats, I find that for some reason they haven't.

I enjoy those almost as much as the Find logs where they “didn't have a pen”, didn't even bother, not interested, don't care, maybe I didn't even find it, that's what I think of your cache, buh-bye.

When someone says “this would be a Favorite if we could set one!”, they never get around to setting it once they become PM. When there's a log on my TB that “I will place this on my trip in February!”, I never see another log on that TB.

So, to get even, I never promise a colonoscopy.

How about a short note to them saying "Glad you enjoyed my cache called (insert gc number and name of cache here)" as a way to thank them for their attention. Then, if you must, say, "Watching for the favorite point, Thanks in advance for that too!"

Not sure if that will help, but I don't think it will hurt.

Cache happy.

Was any of the cachers who left notes "on several occasions" use copy/paste logs?

Might have been included in yours too without thinking, like the "thanks for placing and maintaining..." logs we see on caches that need maintenance .

We received a couple similar, but figured they simply changed their mind. :)

We wouldn't ask another for "points". Maybe if we were interested in stats...

Odd that no caches had any FPs for a few years after we started, yet it didn't seem to affect (one way or the other) others opinion of them.

We wouldn't mind if another asked about a reward other than our kind, wordy log, but that doesn't mean we'd act on it. :)

How about a short note to them saying "Glad you enjoyed my cache called (insert gc number and name of cache here)" as a way to thank them for their attention. Then, if you must, say, "Watching for the favorite point, Thanks in advance for that too!"

Cache happy.

Well said, and your example shows that it's possible to ask/remind politely.

"Fishing" for points would occur if the finder said nice things in the post but never mentioned FPs, and the CO suggested they award an FP. Here the finder said he/she was going award an FP, but didn't through oversight.

If you are using via a GPS or using draft/field notes within an app, the Groundspeak API doesn't support uploading to the site with assigning a favorite. It needs to be done at the time of posting the draft log.

That's one way to do it. Or, go through the list of caches you've found and assign Favorites. It doesn't need to be at the time of posting, and there's no need to pronounce it a "Favorite" in the log -- which causes a disappointed OP when the icon isn't there. I occasionally look at my list and select some Favorites. I'll do that right now. :anicute:

Also, yeah, as mentioned, Favorites get un-selected. It certainly was a bug if it is not still. Go look at that list!

If you are using via a GPS or using draft/field notes within an app, the Groundspeak API doesn't support uploading to the site with assigning a favorite. It needs to be done at the time of posting the draft log.

That's one way to do it.

I'm just pointing out to the original poster, if they aren't familiar, that it could be hours or longer that the person logging the find posts it and remembers to include clicking it's a favorite.

Cool to see others have noticed this problem. We have had it happen several times. I have never contacted anyone or said anything but have thought it. All I can do is try and make sure I never do it to another CO. If I say I am giving it a favorite I double check it at home later to make sure.

Cache happy.

Well said, and your example shows that it's possible to ask/remind politely.

"Fishing" for points would occur if the finder said nice things in the post but never mentioned FPs, and the CO suggested they award an FP. Here the finder said he/she was going award an FP, but didn't through oversight.

I agree - good way to handle it.

I've forgotten to add the fp in the past. I predominantly search w cachly on my iPhone and remembering to look for the fp selection is sometimes forgotten. I wouldn't mind a gentle nudge reminding me.

If someone specifically mentions that they awarded a favorite point but didn't, I will generally email them something like "Glad you enjoyed the cache. Did you intend to add a Fav. Pt?" Sometimes folks forget.

If someone writes a log full of positives but doesn't add a Fav Pt., I just enjoy the log. Fav Pts are one of the few ways to quickly determine if a cache is "much better than average" and the only indicator of (possible) quality that shows up in a search.

Yes, it would be fishing for points. Rude, I'm not sure about. Depends on how nice you beg for a FP I guess. :laughing:

I hide many gadget caches so I experience this A LOT. It disappoints me but no matter how badly I want to beg for favorite points, I won't do it. It is more important to me that my caches gain their attention 100% on the merit of the cache itself and from those finding it. If I have to try to influence finders into fav's it just doesn't feel right. Now, my closest friends, I might hound them all in fun, but that's a different story altogether (just in case they're listening).

I don't think it's rude, but I would feel a bit funny if someone messaged me about a favorite point. As a cache owner, I get enough. A few missing here and there are not going to bother me. I wouldn't be able to understand why someone would care so much, unless maybe there was some sort of competition going on.

To me, the best reward is a good log.

So reading through these logs made me think about what caches I may have forgotten to favorite. project-gc has a pretty nice little tool to check for "Forgotten Favorites?" No, I don't work for them, I just really like their tools.

I learned two things - There WERE quite a few caches I meant to favorite but for whatever reason I hadn't. And people favorite a lot of what I would consider really dumb caches. ;)

Some cachers hand out favorite points faster than they can generate them -- I have a buddy who has to keep a list of favorites to go back and give a point to after he has found enough caches to award another point. Personally, I don't; just because I can award a FP to 10% of our finds doesn't mean I have to. I've got around 400 sitting around. Now and then I'll go back to spend some, but typically I know right away which ones I'd consider a favorite and which ones not.

Anyway. Back to the question. If they liked your cache enough to say they were going to leave a favorite point, perhaps they won't mind the reminder.

If I were to do it, I'd maybe just thank them for saying it was worth a favorite point and that I was glad they enjoyed it. If they actually wanted to do it, then that might remind them to take action.

There are two ways this would go with me:

1. The message would be sent through the MC and I would never see it.

2. The message would be sent through the email system, and I would be so annoyed by the request that it would nullify any intention to assign an FP.

I wouldn't be offended, but plenty of people enjoy being offended, they'll be along soon to let you know! rolleyes.gif

Ask and you shall receive...

There are two ways this would go with me:

1. The message would be sent through the MC and I would never see it.

2. The message would be sent through the email system, and I would be so annoyed by the request that it would nullify any intention to assign an FP.

Is it really that big of a deal to even ask?

Funny how that works: people that want to ask about the missing FP say, "Is it really that big of a deal to even ask?" People that think it would be FP grubbing to ask say, "Is it really that big of a deal that it's even worth asking?"

To me, it boils down to whether you consider the poster to be a friend. If your aim is to coax some stranger into giving you the FP, then don't ask. If you're curious why your friend said he was going to do something then didn't, feel free to ask.

Funny how that works: people that want to ask about the missing FP say, "Is it really that big of a deal to even ask?" People that think it would be FP grubbing to ask say, "Is it really that big of a deal that it's even worth asking?"

To me, it boils down to whether you consider the poster to be a friend. If your aim is to coax some stranger into giving you the FP, then don't ask. If you're curious why your friend said he was going to do something then didn't, feel free to ask.

I was leaning more towards "why would you even ask over something so trivial" since I can't see a single FP being that big of a deal.

Edited by ottieolsen

I was leaning more towards "why would you even ask over something so trivial" since I can't see a single FP being that big of a deal.

It's like asking for a thank you note. Sure, it would have been nice if they remembered to do it, but asking for it is the far greater sin.

I was wondering about that, but I decided you meant the opposite. But that just underscores my point: the difference between "so trivial you shouldn't ask" and "so trivial who cares if you ask" is minuscule, making me suggest that the real issue is something other than how little of a deal it is.

I don't see any problem with asking.

The log said "love this cache - FP awarded". So the CO is simply checking. I would not write that log unless I intended to give a FP. If somehow I forgot to tick the box, I'd have no problem with the CO pointing it out. As I wanted to give a FP.

Now, if someone writes a log about how much they enjoyed my cache, but they don't mention FPs at all, and I contact them as say "Say I see you enjoyed my cache, did you consider leaving a FP", that would be out of line.

It's like asking for a thank you note. Sure, it would have been nice if they remembered to do it, but asking for it is the far greater sin.

I disagree with the analogy. A better analogy would be if someone said they were going to give you an award that would earn you prestige and then forgot or changed their mind. Asking for the award is pretty rude, just like asking someone to give you a favorite point is a bit annoying (I also hate it when people beg for FPs - "Don't forget to give this a favorite point if you liked it!") But if someone TELLS YOU they are giving you one and then don't, I think the problem is with the one who said it in the first place. Not that they are MEAN or BAD, just forgetful or wishy-washy.

I disagree with the analogy. A better analogy would be if someone said they were going to give you an award that would earn you prestige and then forgot or changed their mind. Asking for the award is pretty rude, just like asking someone to give you a favorite point is a bit annoying (I also hate it when people beg for FPs - "Don't forget to give this a favorite point if you liked it!") But if someone TELLS YOU they are giving you one and then don't, I think the problem is with the one who said it in the first place. Not that they are MEAN or BAD, just forgetful or wishy-washy.

Sure, as I said, getting the point would have been nice, but nagging someone about it is worse than forgetting.

I just don't get why someone would audit these in the first place. If someone says in their log that they mean to give a favourite point, the sentiment is what matters, not the actual point. Isn't it nice to have someone say, in words, how much they liked the cache? Following up to nag just seems so needless after that.

Sure, as I said, getting the point would have been nice, but nagging someone about it is worse than forgetting.

I just don't get why someone would audit these in the first place. If someone says in their log that they mean to give a favourite point, the sentiment is what matters, not the actual point. Isn't it nice to have someone say, in words, how much they liked the cache? Following up to nag just seems so needless after that.

Reminding the finder, as I believe the OP meant, does not constitute nagging.

If I forget to do something i said that I would, then getting reminded is my own fault and a reminder would be appreciated.

If after the first gentle nudge, the CO continurpes to ask, that's nagging...