Garmin Mapinstall creates a single gmapsupp.img file

Gamin's Mapinstall program used to create individual .img files for each map installed on a GPS. Now it seems to be combining all of my maps into a single gmapsupp.img file, which is problematic because I lose the option to enable/disable specific maps and instead control the display of all maps as a bundle. How can I get my maps to install as single files again (and still have the option to choose to custom install certain map tiles)? Are there any alternative programs (for mac) to convert .gmap files to usable .img files?

MapInstall and MapSource have always created a single gmapsupp.img file from the map tiles you select. But since all modern Garmins support AnyName.img, it's up to you to rename each gmapsupp.img file to AnyName.img. As to an internal map name MapSource supports custom map naming, MapInstall does not.

My comments are Windows specific, can't provide details for a Mac.

Weird. It definitely used to save them according to their map name as <mapname>.img. I have four maps installed to my SD card that were saved that way, and this is how Mapinstall has acted for me since about 2012. I had to update because the version I was previously using didn't run on El Capitan. This tells you how long it's been since I've installed new maps on my GPS. I wouldn't really care except that it compiles the gmapsupp.img file such that all maps converge into one, and thus I can only turn on/off the display of all maps instead of each on individually.

Weird. It definitely used to save them according to their map name as <mapname>.img. I have four maps installed to my SD card that were saved that way, and this is how Mapinstall has acted for me since about 2012. I had to update because the version I was previously using didn't run on El Capitan. This tells you how long it's been since I've installed new maps on my GPS. I wouldn't really care except that it compiles the gmapsupp.img file such that all maps converge into one, and thus I can only turn on/off the display of all maps instead of each on individually.

You are correct. The last time I used MapInstall it saved each map individually using the map name for each *.img file. I have not used MapInstall in a long time, might have to play with it again to see if I can duplicate....

You are correct. The last time I used MapInstall it saved each map individually using the map name for each *.img file. I have not used MapInstall in a long time, might have to play with it again to see if I can duplicate....

It only does that if you are connected to a "modern" device. If you are connected to just a card, it save to a single file. It has always been that way.

It only does that if you are connected to a "modern" device. If you are connected to just a card, it save to a single file. It has always been that way.

I think most, if not all of my Garmin GPSr are in the 'Modern' category. Oldest model I have is the Colorado.

8^)

@ Mineral 2,

If you (or ??) happen(s)to have, or have access to, a previous backup of your unit (or anyone else's) where the maps you want were saved as individual files, couldn't you just cut and paste to your card ???

I've got, and use, img files from X years ago,

Edited by Grasscatcher

@ Mineral 2,

If you (or ??) happen(s)to have, or have access to, a previous backup of your unit (or anyone else's) where the maps you want were saved as individual files, couldn't you just cut and paste to your card ???

I've got, and use, img files from X years ago,

Yes. When I bought my Oregon 600, I simply duplicated the SD card from my Oregon 450, so I had a backup of the individual map files. The issue is that if I want to add new maps to my device(s) or modify the tiles installed on my current ones, I have to do it one at a time, changing the filename and removing it from the device between each.

For reference, I'm installing to the SD card while it's mounted in the Oregon, so it *should* recognize that I'm using a modern device.

@ Mineral2 OT

I noticed in your post(s) you moved from an Oregon 450 to a 600, I'd appreciate your insights.

I have a 450 that I use primarily for creating tracks and finding geologic features via coordinates and geotagged photos. To the extent you can how is the comparison of the tracking and photo viewer 450 vs 600?

From my perspective the 450 is excellent at creating tracks, dreadful at photo viewing. Tried a search 450 & 600 not allowed here, on Google got a hit in German.

Thanks

@ Mineral2 OT

I noticed in your post(s) you moved from an Oregon 450 to a 600, I'd appreciate your insights.

I have a 450 that I use primarily for creating tracks and finding geologic features via coordinates and geotagged photos. To the extent you can how is the comparison of the tracking and photo viewer 450 vs 600?

From my perspective the 450 is excellent at creating tracks, dreadful at photo viewing. Tried a search 450 & 600 not allowed here, on Google got a hit in German.

Thanks

Since this is off topic of the thread, I'll reply via private message.

Ok. I think I'm onto something. When I switch MapInstall over to the SD card, I get this message, even though the SD card is installed in the device:

If you plug your SD card into a device first, MapInstall can improve your experience by only displaying maps compatible with your device.

Click "Continue" to choose maps without doing this.

I don't recall getting that before. I also seem to recall the SD card volume being nested within the Oregon GPS within Basecamp. So perhaps there's been a change in the way that Mac OS reads the SD card device without recognizing that it's coming from within the GPS.

The workaround for now is to install maps up to 1.8G worth at a time directly to the GPS and then move them to the SD card after. Since I don't do it often, I can live with this for now. Maps that I use often will stay on the card or GPS anyway, and those that I'll install temporarily, I can just backup the .img file to my hard drive in case I need to quickly install it again.