Sticky issue on [eTrex 20] 4.50 ?

Since long, I have a problem with my Etrex 20: the arrow doesn't move anymore when I'm near a geocache. After a LOT of Googling, today I found that it is a common problem and is called the "sticky issue". (once you found the right word, you find a lot of posts, but before I thought I was the only one with this problem)

But now...I see that it should be fixed with software 2.8, but mine is running on 4.50 and I still have the issue.

Am I understanding something wrong, maybe ? Is there anyone who can help me with this ?

The 20 doesn't have an electronic compass. Therefore, the compass only works when moving above a certain speed. If you're near the cache, it's unlikely you are moving enough to trigger the compass. If you are within 30 feet of a cache, just put the GPS down and search with your eyes.

Make sure that you have "lock on road" turned off in the navigation settings.

And also have Direct Routing turned ON.

Both of those are only an issue if the OP has a routable map installed. Otherwise, neither of these are an issue with a non-routable map.

So when you're navigating to a cache, you flip to the compass page and follow the arrow? What about the distance to cache numbers...are they counting down? The sticky issue affected both of my 62s's but never on my etrex 20 and 30. Regardless, I'm certain that problem was resolved awhile ago.

So when you're navigating to a cache, you flip to the compass page and follow the arrow? What about the distance to cache numbers...are they counting down? The sticky issue affected both of my 62s's but never on my etrex 20 and 30. Regardless, I'm certain that problem was resolved awhile ago.

No, I never use the compass.

There is a blue arrow on the map that moves when you move and that shows where you are. That one stops moving and the numbers for distance to target stop counting down. Not very handy when it comes to geocaching.

I hear that that problem was resolved, but I don't see how. In a certain software version, then ? How come I still have it on the latest software version ?

I send several mails to Garmin BE, but I have to wait a week or more before I get an answer and then they answer in one sentence or with a question. Mostly, I have to ask something back or give some information, wich means waiting for another week or so. This is going on for a few weeks now, so today I decided to call them. Operator wasn't friendly at all, went on about "not having time to Google things" and "people say a lot on the internet", when I told him about the 'sticky issue'.

So I decided to contact Garmin UK. The guy in the chat was kind, but the answer was the same: not on warranty anymore, there is nothing we can do, the issue is unknown.

So that's it. I spend 200 EUR on a GPS that fails to perform and which is clearly not my fault and I have to pay for replacement.

Never again a Garmin, that's for sure. :mad:

I send several mails to Garmin BE, but I have to wait a week or more before I get an answer and then they answer in one sentence or with a question. Mostly, I have to ask something back or give some information, wich means waiting for another week or so. This is going on for a few weeks now, so today I decided to call them. Operator wasn't friendly at all, went on about "not having time to Google things" and "people say a lot on the internet", when I told him about the 'sticky issue'.

So I decided to contact Garmin UK. The guy in the chat was kind, but the answer was the same: not on warranty anymore, there is nothing we can do, the issue is unknown.

So that's it. I spend 200 EUR on a GPS that fails to perform and which is clearly not my fault and I have to pay for replacement.

Never again a Garmin, that's for sure. :mad:

Is your Etrex set to "Off Road" navigation?

Is your Etrex set to "Off Road" navigation?

No, but I turned off the "lock on road" (or something like that). Should I put in on "off road" navigation ?

My Etrex is always set for "Off Road' as we use a Garmin Nuvi to navigate on road to the nearest point where we leave the car. In some settings (not sure which ones) the GPS will stop navigating when it thinks it has reached its destination, GZ.

When we first started geocaching we used a Nuvi and it woulod stop navigation when we got close to mhe cache because it calculated that we had arrived at our "destination". If we switched to "Off road" mode it was fine.

Edited by colleda
My Etrex is always set for "Off Road' as we use a Garmin Nuvi to navigate on road to the nearest point where we leave the car. In some settings (not sure which ones) the GPS will stop navigating when it thinks it has reached its destination, GZ.

When we first started geocaching we used a Nuvi and it woulod stop navigation when we got close to mhe cache because it calculated that we had arrived at our "destination". If we switched to "Off road" mode it was fine.

Oh, thanks, this could be helpful. Maybe that is also the reason why some people report the problem and others don't. I will try it that way.

Oh, thanks, this could be helpful. Maybe that is also the reason why some people report the problem and others don't. I will try it that way.

Sorry about the typos, it was late.