Is it worth upgrading from GPSMAP 60Cx to 64st?

16FW

We've never had any issue with trees, river gorges, etc., with our 60cxs'.

Based on reviews, the reason we bought them.

Today, we're still just as "accurate" as any other modern handheld GPSr. :)

The difference is in the updated electronics...

The new "list" function (kinda replacing send to gps) from April 10 won't work on the long-discontinued 60cxs (for example).

We still have working GPSrs and are happy with them.

If they ever die, we'll be heading to a 64st too (or it's updated equivalent at the time). :)

I was just looking at the reviews of the 64st on Amazon. The worst complaints came from owners of the 60 series GPS. Most of the positive ones were noobies, or owners of other brands of GPS. Maybe I will just live with printing out details of caches :)

Edited by 16FW

I have a GPSMAP 60Cx, but I see several features on the 64st that look nice. What I can't find anywhere is whether the 64st will work better under trees.

GPS performance is pretty much the same. Perhaps a little better in some situations as you get the extra satellites from Glonass. I owned a 60Cx for many years.

I would stop by a store, though, and first look at other options like Oregons. The screens are much better.

Edited by Red90

I have a GPSMAP 60Cx, but I see several features on the 64st that look nice. What I can't find anywhere is whether the 64st will work better under trees.

GPS performance is pretty much the same. Perhaps a little better in some situations as you get the extra satellites from Glonass. I owned a 60Cx for many years.

I would stop by a store, though, and first look at other options like Oregons. The screens are much better.

Can the Oregon 700 use the same topo set as the 60Cx? It would be cheaper, since I already paid for the topo set.

I was just looking at the reviews of the 64st on Amazon. The worst complaints came from owners of the 60 series GPS. Most of the positive ones were noobies, or owners of other brands of GPS. Maybe I will just live with printing out details of caches :)

Those negative reviews are likely from conservative stalwarts who are so set in their ways that any small change is considered a threat to their existence, even if those changes make their workflow more efficient.

My short answer is yes. When it comes to tech gadgets, it is ALWAYS better to upgrade from discontinued technology. The long answer is: it depends what you're using it for. If you're using your GPS for its original intended purpose - a tool to aid in orienteering and navigation - then the the 60csx is just fine. But if much of your use comes from geocaching and recording tracks from outdoor activities where data is constantly being transferred to and from the device with a computer, then you definitely want a device with more storage, GPX support, and paperless caching, and maybe even a faster processor for dealing with all this data.

You're not just limited to the GPSmap 6x series. I know you're used to the multi-button interface, but if you think a touch screen interface might be more intuitive, check out the Oregon series which have some advantages over the 64s.

Can the Oregon 700 use the same topo set as the 60Cx? It would be cheaper, since I already paid for the topo set.

Yes - maybe. Is it a garmin map that you downloaded, or did you buy it on a SD card? The SD card will transfer. Maps that you bought via DVD or direct download are locked to the device you installed it on.

Don't let that be your deciding factor. There are tons of free topo maps for garmin devices that are as good or even better than Garmin's overpriced maps.

Or consider a phone with a quality app. (See any of the numerous existing threads on the subject for pros and cons...)

Both phones I've used, I've found as accurate as the dusty old 60CSx, and the app, far superior.

I would have to get a new phone, since the GPS on mine isn't worth a darn.

Yes - maybe. Is it a garmin map that you downloaded, or did you buy it on a SD card? The SD card will transfer. Maps that you bought via DVD or direct download are locked to the device you installed it on.

Don't let that be your deciding factor. There are tons of free topo maps for garmin devices that are as good or even better than Garmin's overpriced maps.

Yes they are Garmin, and on a SD card. I will go to a store and look at the Oregon 700. They look nice online.

Yes they are Garmin, and on a SD card. I will go to a store and look at the Oregon 700. They look nice online.

Oregon 7x0 FTW!

8^)

Maps that you bought via DVD or direct download are locked to the device you installed it on.

I bought a Garmin map on DVD 5 years ago and it has worked on 3 different Garmins with no requirement to transfer the license when I upgraded. I installed it on a personal SD card, not a Garmin card. They may have updated their licensing policy since then, but he might be in the same position where his card and map will be recognized in a new device.