How long do you search?

How long do you look for a cache before you give up and come back another day or log 'did not find' (depending on the difficulty)?

As a newbie (albeit decent at finding things in general), I'm hesitant to log 'did not find', so I'm seeing what other peoples' experiences are like.

I search until I don't feel like searching any longer. That can be 5 minutes or can be an hour. (I think about an hour is the longest I've searched for a single cache or stage of a cache). If I can't find, I'll always log a DNF unless something unrelated to geocaching stops my search pre-maturely. E.g. I just start to look and my wife phones and says come home immediately.

I will give an indication in my log how long/hard I looked.

I search until I don't feel like searching any longer. That can be 5 minutes or can be an hour. (I think about an hour is the longest I've searched for a single cache or stage of a cache). If I can't find, I'll always log a DNF unless something unrelated to geocaching stops my search pre-maturely. E.g. I just start to look and my wife phones and says come home immediately.

I will give an indication in my log how long/hard I looked.

For an especially difficult cache, reading over all the DNFs (in many cases, multiple DNFs by the same cachers) in the logs can be far more entertaining than a string of TFTC logs.

How long do you look for a cache before you give up and come back another day or log 'did not find' (depending on the difficulty)?

As a newbie (albeit decent at finding things in general), I'm hesitant to log 'did not find', so I'm seeing what other peoples' experiences are like.

Depends on a lot....

How many caches we have planned for the day?

Significance of the cache? (maybe a unique DT combo we need)

Past DNFs?

Size of cache, hint or lack thereof? (if its a micro in the bush, I get bored quick)

So usually this amounts to 15 minutes.... Once we arrive a GZ and start looking, I log a Found or DNF every time. Once I changed my DNF to a WN, as it turns out the cache hadn't been hidden yet.

Depends on several factors:

•  
  • 1. Difficulty rating. A higher rating might generally get more time.
  • 2. Previous logs. If there are logs that seem to indicate something is wrong, or if the CO has not posted any OM or notes in a really long time, I am more likely to give up sooner.
  • 3. Location/muggle factor. The other day I was looking for one that was supposed to be just off a sidewalk. The road and walkway weren't particularly busy, but I still felt uncomfortable searching the fenceline for more than a few minutes.
  • 4. Mosquitoes. Those little buggers always cut my search time to a fraction of what I might otherwise give.
  • 5. Life. Work, wife, kids, appointments, errands...things that need to be attended to are often a primary factor in cutting a search short. I'm not one of those folks who can just go off caching for the day or for the weekend. I don't take special caching trips and I don't plan travel around caching. It's the opposite. I squeeze it in when I can. It's the first thing I think of when I realize I might have 30 minutes here or two hours there with nothing else I need to do.

Don't worry about logging a DNF.

You can always say 'Why' you gave up looking in the log. eg. Too many people around/limited time to search/etc.

Some of my DNF logs can be a better story than logs for caches I've Found! :laughing:

Often, most Cache Owners are more likely to help with a hint if you ask them, if you've logged a DNF previously.

[*]2. Previous logs. If there are logs that seem to indicate something is wrong, or if the CO has not posted any OM or notes in a really long time, I am more likely to give up sooner.

[*]3. Location/muggle factor. The other day I was looking for one that was supposed to be just off a sidewalk. The road and walkway weren't particularly busy, but I still felt uncomfortable searching the fenceline for more than a few minutes.

Those are my two biggest reasons for giving up my search. If I'm having trouble finding the cache, I check the previous logs. If several other people before me have also DNF, I quit looking a lot sooner than if they'd all claimed a Found It. But honestly, the muggle factor is the biggest one for me. If I'm in a secluded area looking for a cache and nobody is around to notice me poking around in the bushes, I'll keep looking for up to an hour before giving up. But I leave ground zero pretty quickly (5 minutes) if other people are around to notice me. I hate having to explain my reasons for being there, I hate people watching me, I hate curious onlookers, I hate interruptions. I'm a grumpy old lady, I guess.

I think my record was close to an hour.

As for what's typical, I have to give the infamous lawyer answer: It depends. Am I with my family, or do I have other goals for the day that outweigh this one cache? Five minutes max. Am I with other cachers? Fifteen minutes or so. Was this cache to be the highlight of the day? Up to an hour or so. Is this in a high muggle location? I might not look at all; I don't perform well for an audience.

Edited by hzoi

Yes, it depends on different things and most of them have been already mentioned. So, I would like to share just one thought: I would give up quickly rather than attract anyone's attention. I take my visit as a responsibility so that the cache isn't muggled after me. So, if there's someone sitting on a bench and the container is supposedly under this bench, or there are constructions nearby and two workers close to the GZ enjoying their cigarettes during a break, or a car with a driver lazily staring around - I will most probably wait for ten-fifteen minutes (if I have time, indeed) without any active moves and see if the situation changes. If not, I just leave. No DNF (because I didn't make any search) but a note with a string or two and "thanks for taking me there".

However, if I make an attempt to find a cache but am interrupted by something or someone, I always log DNF. Of course, I also log DNF if I searched fruitlessly and gave up myself - even if it's a second (third, fourth, etc.) DNF for this cache. DNFs are extremely important. One understands it soon after they have their own geocaches published. Without DNFs owners have no information about whether their caches are fine or not.

My longest search was probably in Vilnius, Lithuania. I attempted that cache four times and each time spent from 10 minutes to 1 hour trying to understand where it could be :) Having in mind that I live in other country - I travelled there four times before I found it :)

Unless something interrupts me (e.g., a call from home or a park closing at sunset), I search until I find it or until I'm no longer enjoying the search. I think the longest I've ever searched in a single attempt is about an hour. And the most unsuccessful attempts I've logged was six, before finding the cache on my seventh attempt.

I search until I don't feel like searching any longer.

Nailed it. Yeah, we could list endlessly various considerations, but the bottom line is that I quit when I'm done. Yes, it could have something to do with the cache, but it also has a lot to do with my mood and my attitude and other logistics unique to my situation.

If you're asking whether you searched long enough to warrant filing a DNF, then answer is "don't worry about it." If you feel like you searched and want to file a DNF, file a DNF. No one will think you're being bad to file a DNF because you didn't do a good enough job or anything like that.

And, on the other hand, if you want to keep you lack of success a secret, that's OK, too. I encourage you to file all your DNFs, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

I probably search much longer than I should. After the first 20 minutes or so I'll sit down and take a break. The longer I sit the more convinced I am that the caches is watching me, laughing. So I'll start the cycle over again, and again, and again until my phone rings and my wife asks me if I'm ever coming home.

If you've tried to find it and couldn't don't be afraid to post a dnf. It may be there and it just wasn't your day or maybe it's actually missing. The dnf will give the cache owner a heads up to keep an eye on it.

Besides, revenging a dnf is one of the sweetest things in geocaching.

Depends on whether or not I have a throwdown in my pocket! :P

Seriously though... as with previous posters, several factors.

If it's an easy cache, I'll look for a shorter period than for a difficult one. If an easy one, I'll figure a couple minutes before I log a dnf. I'll also put it on my watch list so I'll know whether I was just blink or whether the cache actually isn't there.

For a difficult one, I'll look for a while. No set time, but as long as I'm still enjoying the deviousness of the CO. Once I get frustrated (or hurt, which has happened), log the dnf and on the watch list.

If I need it for a challenge, maybe a little longer. On my first challenge cache, it was right in front of my eyes. But I searched, dnf', pinged the CO, who was gracious enough to send a text with a hint, hen I went back and found it.

There have been several occasions when I was looking for a very long time and, after I fired off a message to a previous finder or the CO, found the cache immediately after sending the message. It's almost as if the act of giving in and asking for help allowed me to see clearer.

If I only did a half-hearted search for a few minutes, I wouldn't bother logging a DNF. However, if I did a good search within 10 meters of GZ, I would log a DNF. Wouldn't matter if it was 5 minutes or 3 hours. DNFs are important because they give both the cache owner and other cachers information. If only 1 cacher logged a DNF, for example, I would not, as a cache owner go and check on the cache.

As for how long, I search as long as it's fun.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Why are you hesitant to log your DNFs? Because you're new?

If I only did a half-hearted search for a few minutes, I wouldn't bother logging a DNF. However, if I did a good search within 10 meters of GZ, I would log a DNF. Wouldn't matter if it was 5 minutes or 3 hours. DNFs are important because they give both the cache owner and other cachers information. If only 1 cacher logged a DNF, for example, I would not, as a cache owner go and check on the cache.

As for how long, I search as long as it's fun.

Why wouldn't you log the dnf? You searched but didn't find it?

Receiving a dnf email on one of my caches tells me that my cache is still in play. And if it's on a devious one, it's kinda like an ack that I did a good job at hiding it.

It also shows other finders that it's still in play and may give them that great feeling that they were able to find something that others weren't.

Why are you hesitant to log your DNFs? Because you're new?

I think that's a misconception with a lot of cachers. They think that a dnf is an "f" or failure. It's not... all it means is that the CO did a good job at hiding, you had an off day, or that the cache _might_ be missing.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

I think that's a misconception with a lot of cachers. They think that a dnf is an "f" or failure.
Or maybe they think that a DNF means that the cache isn't there, or that something is wrong with the cache, or that it needs maintenance.
I think that's a misconception with a lot of cachers. They think that a dnf is an "f" or failure.
Or maybe they think that a DNF means that the cache isn't there, or that something is wrong with the cache, or that it needs maintenance.

Did you miss the sentence following what you quoted? I said exactly that...

Again, from earlier...

"... It's not... all it means is that the CO did a good job at hiding, you had an off day, or that the cache _might_ be missing."

Again, from earlier...

"... It's not... all it means is that the CO did a good job at hiding, you had an off day, or that the cache _might_ be missing."

Sorry, I was just trying to tie it into another thread about DNFs, but not making the point very well.

Again, from earlier...

Sorry, I was just trying to tie it into another thread about DNFs, but not making the point very well.

No worries... there are a few threads that were on and they're getting convoluted as the dickins...

We should all just close or lock the threads and start new ones, prompting everyone to stay on topic. (Like that'll ever happen!)

I know, myself, that I've responded in a thread and afterwards asked myself what thread did I mean the response for!

Thank you for sparing in good humor!

Depends on whether or not I have a throwdown in my pocket! :P

Come on... I thought for certain that I'd really catch h ell for that one!!!

You guys are slipping!

Lol, why do I keep finding you in the interesting threads... Anyway, my length of search is highly dependent on the cache.

1. Is it a 'series' (see, GC5KEGQ (KP #1) & its brethren)?
  2. How big is it?
  3. Are there just a TON of places that it could be?
  4. Are there no logical hiding places?
  5. Does the area feel sketchy? (too public or private property)
  6. How hard was it for me to get to the posted coords?
  7. How accurate is my GPS at the moment?
  8. What is my mood? laughing.gif

Honestly, there's too many variables. I was doing the series mentioned above the other day, (which I only attempted 6/9) and searched for 30ish minutes on 2 that I didn't wind up finding. I was also in a preserve, very naturey, and there was a lot of poison ivy around, that I was trying to avoid. I also left that stinkin' trail with 7+ tickssignalsad.gif

Edited by UnHoly453

Well, so far, I've looked for 16. Found 5, moved on from 5 due to muggles, got REALLY confused about a multicache with added gps coords (the coords were sending me 100 miles away), and didn't find 5. Of those I had a decent chance to look for, it didn't take more than 5 minutes to find the ones I did, and the ones I didn't find I ended up giving up after 15+ minutes of searching. On the online logs of the one's I didn't find, most people said 'easy find' (highest difficulty was 2.5), and even some said that they saw a few of them from their car. Most of the would-be DNFs have only one or two other DNFs total. Either way, I'm at 50%~ success rate and I'm usually good at finding things. I assume those stats will improve as I move along, I just figured it would be easier at the start. Not giving up though, it does seem super fun and gets me out of the house.

On another note: for the multiple coordinate ones, are there rules as to how far they can send you from the first location, or is it up to them and how much they want to torture you?

The longest I've search was on a cache that was well hidden nano on a steam train. In total, after four visits, I spent over 3 hours searching for it.

Yesterday I had a four hour drive back home from a business trip. Because I stopped to look for a few caches that four hours turned into 5.5. The longest I spent searching for any of the caches was about 5 minutes (though one took me about 5 minute to walk to the cache from where I parked). At my age, and driving by myself, 6 hours is about the limit I want to be on the road. Spending a lot of time searching for caches (or stopping more often) would have made the drive a lot longer.

Well, so far, I've looked for 16. Found 5, moved on from 5 due to muggles, got REALLY confused about a multicache with added gps coords (the coords were sending me 100 miles away), and didn't find 5. Of those I had a decent chance to look for, it didn't take more than 5 minutes to find the ones I did, and the ones I didn't find I ended up giving up after 15+ minutes of searching. On the online logs of the one's I didn't find, most people said 'easy find' (highest difficulty was 2.5), and even some said that they saw a few of them from their car. Most of the would-be DNFs have only one or two other DNFs total. Either way, I'm at 50%~ success rate and I'm usually good at finding things. I assume those stats will improve as I move along, I just figured it would be easier at the start. Not giving up though, it does seem super fun and gets me out of the house.

On another note: for the multiple coordinate ones, are there rules as to how far they can send you from the first location, or is it up to them and how much they want to torture you?

Multi-caches are an odd-breed, but one of my favorites! I'm working on a very complicated one now ;)

Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines - Multicaches

Multi-caches are an odd-breed, but one of my favorites! I'm working on a very complicated one now ;)

Be prepared for low numbers of finds and for many of those who do find it to have been handed the final coordinates :(

I doubt it, this one will be complicated enough that only dedicated cachers will even attempt it, and they certainly won't be spoiling the experience for others. Maybe I'll require anyone who logs the cache to also take some step which otherwise can't be done (unless they've visited every stage of the cache).

Be prepared for low numbers of finds and for many of those who do find it to have been handed the final coordinates :(

I doubt it, this one will be complicated enough that only dedicated cachers will even attempt it, and they certainly won't be spoiling the experience for others. Maybe I'll require anyone who logs the cache to also take some step which otherwise can't be done (unless they've visited every stage of the cache).

Before someone else on this thread accuses you of "not following the rules, you heathen!" I'll add that if you're planning to add an additional step, they're not allowed... I think you're talking about a ALR and they don't allow that...

Before someone else on this thread accuses you of "not following the rules, you heathen!" I'll add that if you're planning to add an additional step, they're not allowed... I think you're talking about a ALR and they don't allow that...

Correct.

If they sign the log they claim the find.

I agree.

Many I've done, or doing now and waiting for fixes (stages missing, illegible, etc...) , we've received emails asking for "help", when I know they haven't even started them (and don't respond when I asked them a question).

Higher terrain mostly and few do those anymore, preferring pill bottles at roadside.

Rather than attempt it, they're simply looking for "close to", or the final.

I've also asked if they'd like to do them with me, with no takers.;)

Not a multi, but kinda recently one lengthy geoart nearby had all attending an event do the entire series without solving a single puzzle.

- Just follow the leader...

So yeah, that happens. :)

I agree.

Many I've done, or doing now and waiting for fixes (stages missing, illegible, etc...) , we've received emails asking for "help", when I know they haven't even started them (and don't respond when I asked them a question).

Higher terrain mostly and few do those anymore, preferring pill bottles at roadside.

Rather than attempt it, they're simply looking for "close to", or the final.

I've also asked if they'd like to do them with me, with no takers.;)

Not a multi, but kinda recently one lengthy geoart nearby had all attending an event do the entire series without solving a single puzzle.

- Just follow the leader...

So yeah, that happens. :)

These last 2 posts reminded me of a multi I placed years ago. So I'm now walking in circles trying to figure which thread to add this to - DNFs need main? What irks? Filter NMs? Oh, what shall I do!?!? But...

It was a very devious hide, and noted by the finders. Stage 1 was a small magnetic strip with the coords for stage 2 written on it. Placed inside a window where you had to look just so to see it. Stage 2 was a POS film canister hanging in a bush.

It had a bunch of DNFs and the watchers grew... until the first finder. Then, all of a sudden there were few DNFs and numerous finds.

Stage 1 got no easier after find 1, but...

For mystery/puzzle caches, for a long time, the guidelines have said that the posted coordinates should be within 2 miles (3.2 km) of the final location. Exceptions are sometimes made, and there are older mystery/puzzle caches still around from before that rule was enforced, but that's the general rule for all recent mystery/puzzle caches.

For multi-caches, the guidelines have no such requirement. I've found the first stage of a multi-cache where the final was about 20 miles away. (It was archived before I found the final.) And one of my milestones was saved for a local multi-cache that requires more than 50 miles of driving total, and several miles of hiking. And I've seen listings for multi-caches that cover even further distances.

The longest I've search was on a cache that was well hidden nano on a steam train.

A nano on a steam train, I'd probably give that a minute or two before throwing up my arms in disgust..... (if I stopped to look at all)

That was back when I thought I had to find every cache. It didn't help that I had to drive by it four times a day.

No simple answer with a number of minutes I search for from me I'm afraid , I don't arrive at GZ and start a stopwatch or anything !

However, what I quite often find myself writing in DNF logs is "I searched until it stopped being fun." After all,fun is what it's all about, not some grim number chasing.

I do post DNFs , and see no shame in them, please don't feel they are a badge of failure, just a step on the way. The line for me between a DNF and a write note is, did I stop at GZ and actively look for the cache at all ? If I was prevented, say by muggles, from searching, and simply walked by, then I'll post a note to that effect.

Oh, and the number of 'found it' logs I've written which include something like

"I was on the point of giving up, began to walk away, then came back for one last look and saw it."

is pretty high too: I suspect this is something to do with changing angle, both physically and mentally. Try sneaking up on an elusive cache with 'one last look' in your mind ! B)

No simple answer with a number of minutes I search for from me I'm afraid , I don't arrive at GZ and start a stopwatch or anything !

However, what I quite often find myself writing in DNF logs is "I searched until it stopped being fun." After all,fun is what it's all about, not some grim number chasing.

I do post DNFs , and see no shame in them, please don't feel they are a badge of failure, just a step on the way. The line for me between a DNF and a write note is, did I stop at GZ and actively look for the cache at all ? If I was prevented, say by muggles, from searching, and simply walked by, then I'll post a note to that effect.

"I was on the point of giving up, began to walk away, then came back for one last look and saw it."

is pretty high too: I suspect this is something to do with changing angle, both physically and mentally. Try sneaking up on an elusive cache with 'one last look' in your mind ! B)

Yep...

I searched for a chain link post cache (based on description and hint) that had someone sleeping against the post. We waited for a few minutes hoping that he'd wake up and leave, but nope... that got a note rather than dnf. We could have waited longer in hope he'd leave, but it wasn't worth the wait.

There was a cache in a grocery store parking lot, where GZ was the shopping cart stable. I looked and looked, feeling around for a nano or magnetic strip. Finally, frustrated, uploaded a dnf and drove away. Then it hit me. I drove back and logged a find. Left the dnf as I considered is a legitimate dnf.

The longest I've search was on a cache that was well hidden nano on a steam train.

A nano on a steam train, I'd probably give that a minute or two before throwing up my arms in disgust..... (if I stopped to look at all)

Here's an old train I did exactly that on ...

f4fd21ad-a832-4dc3-9684-0c62ed6fbb61.jpg

it was on the edge of the car park for a quarry and geology museum I went to for the earthcache, so as I had to walk past I felt obliged to have a look .

The hint was 'Magnetic' ...

Here's an old train I did exactly that on ...

f4fd21ad-a832-4dc3-9684-0c62ed6fbb61.jpg

it was on the edge of the car park for a quarry and geology museum I went to for the earthcache, so as I had to walk past I felt obliged to have a look .

The hint was 'Magnetic' ...

Know what's worse? Hint=magnetic - cache a hide a key under a rock. Hint is accurate. Cache is a pita!

is pretty high too: I suspect this is something to do with changing angle, both physically and mentally.

I do this all the time. I tend to find myself checking the same spots over and over initially though.....