Log Defaults To "Found"

kunarion

In the Android App, IOS App, and the web site's Old Logging Experience, cachers must select a log type. But in the New Logging Experience, the default log (when manually selecting an unowned cache that has not been Found by the user) is pre-selected to be "Found It". I logged a DNF yesterday, and it would be super easy to overlook the fact that it was a "Found" log by default. I'd prefer that cachers select which log type it is. When I see a "Found It" log with text about how they didn't find it, it becomes confusing. Now the web site is adding to the confusion.

ead4f5b1-171a-4a6a-a117-e11972e7f40e.jpg

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Logging-1.mp4

Edited by kunarion

In the Android App, IOS App, and the web site's Old Logging Experience, cachers must select a log type. But in the New Logging Experience, the default log (when manually selecting an unowned cache that has not been Found by the user) is pre-selected to be "Found It". I logged a DNF yesterday, and it would be super easy to overlook the fact that it was a "Found" log by default. I'd prefer that cachers select which log type it is. When I see a "Found It" log with text about how they didn't find it, it becomes confusing. Now the web site is adding to the confusion.

ead4f5b1-171a-4a6a-a117-e11972e7f40e.jpg

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Logging-1.mp4

I agree. It would be too easy to miss the drop-down menu and just post the log as "Found." It would be better to have "Select log type" and then a drop-down menu.

I agree that it's just not a good thing.

I was STUNNED to see that "found it" was the default. WHAT?!?!

This in addition to the required extra work to post NM or NA is a serious step in the wrong direction.

**is it just me and my computer, or is the font on the logging page insanely faint?**

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Making Found the default is a perfect example of "streamlining". Despite being just about the only reason given for any of these changes, I don't think streamlining is an interesting justification, so I like the fact that this clear example of streamlining is being universally rejected in this thread.

I've already seen multiple instances being pointed out by others where the log is a Found log and the description is Couldn't find the cache.

So this change incorporating duplicate prevention, thereby destroying some old caches as collateral damage, results in DNFs recorded as finds. Nice one!

What's even sillier is if you revisit a cache you've previously found, say to drop a TB, the default log is DNF. I'm sure in 99% of these cases the desired log is WN.

I think you are right, and the other 1% would be NM or NA.... :)

And if TB drops on previously found caches now start getting logged as DNFs because the logger in their haste didn't change the default, what's that going to do to the cache's health score?

What's even sillier is if you revisit a cache you've previously found, say to drop a TB, the default log is DNF. I'm sure in 99% of these cases the desired log is WN.

What's more, according to the logic that forbids logging a second find, you shouldn't even be able to log a DNF on a cache you previously found.

What's more, according to the logic that forbids logging a second find, you shouldn't even be able to log a DNF on a cache you previously found.

You would think so. Either write note or NM if you check on one you have found but not DNF.

Edited by lodgebarn

I've seen DNFs logged as finds long before this default setting flubber.

But yes, the default shouldn't Found It.

Does it default to your last chosen log type if you log more than one?

This is another reason that having a log preview before submitted would be beneficial - including the log type as it would be displayed (or even more obviously) would be great.

Logic? You are assuming there is some logical reason for these changes. The only reason for these changes seems to be some illogical idea called "streamlining." I wish somebody in the know would please explain what is going on and what they hope to accomplish.

Making "Found it" the default logging option is catering to those that only log their finds and never log their DNFs. We should not be encouraging this behavior, we should try to encourage all to log their DNFs. "Streamlining" is in this case encouraging improper behavior.

I do not see any of the logging options as being a sensible default option, so I suggest going back to requiring the logger to make a selection from the options.

I do not see any of the logging options as being a sensible default option, so I suggest going back to requiring the logger to make a selection from the options.

I agree with this. Only because the log type is really a functional piece of important information, not just a side note. On mobile, it's two taps. It really isn't a lot of extra work require selection of that important property.

Even with the old system that required me to select a log type, I would occasionally log the wrong type. For example, I logged a number of Finds on my first cache, when I intended to log Owner Maintenance.

If Find is the default, then such miscategorized logs are even more likely.

Even with the old system that required me to select a log type, I would occasionally log the wrong type. For example, I logged a number of Finds on my first cache, when I intended to log Owner Maintenance.

If Find is the default, then such miscategorized logs are even more likely.

Yes, even under the old logging system one could make mistakes. I know I did several times and had to go back and correct logs. But the new logging system seems to encourage logging mistakes. One consequence of encouraging logging mistakes is that caching statistics become less reliable. I don't know about the rest of you, but I like my caching statistics to reflect reality.