Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
justintim1999

Trail map hosting sites

Are there any sites that you can upload information about trail systems. I'm also looking on some information on apps that people can use to navigate trail maps. I'm using a Garmin Oregon 450 to map out local trail systems and I'd like to be able to share them.

Thanks

A few years back, I was using Everytrails, but looks like they've been bought out by AllTrails.

Kind of depends on what you want to accomplish. I was mostly using the above site to share hikes, and to get ideas for new ones. The maps are kind of fun on the site, because you can download photos, and if you have the geo-location turned on for your camera, it would show on the map where the picture was taken, and you could run a little slide show. Fun to share with friends and family.

A few years back, I was using Everytrails, but looks like they've been bought out by AllTrails.

Kind of depends on what you want to accomplish. I was mostly using the above site to share hikes, and to get ideas for new ones. The maps are kind of fun on the site, because you can download photos, and if you have the geo-location turned on for your camera, it would show on the map where the picture was taken, and you could run a little slide show. Fun to share with friends and family.

Thanks

We're are trying to promote some of the hiking trails in our town. I'm mapping out the routes with my Garmin Oregon. I'm looking for a free site where I can upload the gpx file (complete with various waypoints combined using gps visualizer). We'd like to link to the site so that people can download the information onto their gps or smart phone.

Funny how you suggested Alltrails. After signing up for a half dozen Alltrails is the one I like the best. I uploaded a hike yesterday but for some reason it's not showing up on their map. I wonder if you need to be a paid member to contribute?

OpenStreetMap (OSM, http://www.openstreetmap.org/) would be the ideal place for this! Over the last few years OSM has become the place to go for trail maps, because many people like you have been recording trails they've walked/biked/skied etc. and added them to the map.

In the simplest case, you can upload your GPX data raw (as "GPS Traces"), and while they won't appear on the map directly, they're available for the next OSM mapper with time on their hands to use as the basis for adding the trail to the map, if it's not there already.

Or, if you'd like to invest a little time in learning the tools, you could use your GPX to edit the map database directly. This will produce changes that will show up on the map before too long. How long depends entirely on the particular map. The OSM Default map (as shown on the hidden "Leaflet" side of GC.com's full-page map) picks up changes within minutes, the well-loved OpenCycleMap takes a week or so, and Groundspeak's homegrown map (as seen on the cache page) hasn't been updated yet since it was introduced a year ago.

As you might guess, I'm keen on OSM. I do a lot of editing there in my spare time, and it's gratifying to see the results.

PS, as a teaser, here's the general area of your most recent hide in OpenCycleMap. (Edit OSM, see changes in the other maps like OCM.) I like OCM because, unlike most others, it shows terrain nicely with contours and shading.

http://www.openstree...1.8411&layers=C

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

OpenStreetMap (OSM, http://www.openstreetmap.org/) would be the ideal place for this! Over the last few years OSM has become the place to go for trail maps, because many people like you have been recording trails they've walked/biked/skied etc. and added them to the map.

In the simplest case, you can upload your GPX data raw (as "GPS Traces"), and while they won't appear on the map directly, they're available for the next OSM mapper with time on their hands to use as the basis for adding the trail to the map, if it's not there already.

Or, if you'd like to invest a little time in learning the tools, you could use your GPX to edit the map database directly. This will produce changes that will show up on the map before too long. How long depends entirely on the particular map. The OSM Default map (as shown on the hidden "Leaflet" side of GC.com's full-page map) picks up changes within minutes, the well-loved OpenCycleMap takes a week or so, and Groundspeak's homegrown map (as seen on the cache page) hasn't been updated yet since it was introduced a year ago.

As you might guess, I'm keen on OSM. I do a lot of editing there in my spare time, and it's gratifying to see the results.

PS, as a teaser, here's the general area of your most recent hide in OpenCycleMap. (Edit OSM, see changes in the other maps like OCM.) I like OCM because, unlike most others, it shows terrain nicely with contours and shading.

http://www.openstree...1.8411&layers=C

Would someone be able to download this into their gps or smart phone and use it to navigate the hike? Sorry if these questions are basic but I'm still learning.

Would someone be able to download this into their gps or smart phone and use it to navigate the hike? Sorry if these questions are basic but I'm still learning.

Most definitely. I use Locus Map Pro on Android (it's both a map- and caching app, sort of a complete Garmin replacement); there are other similar apps on both Android and iOS. Anyway, with this app I can look up the details of a cache (online or offline), have the arrow point me to the cache with a distance remaining, or even navigate turn-by-turn down the trail with spoken directions ("in twenty metres turn right") with the help of a co-app for routing and another for a sultry voice. :)

Oh, and this particular app will work completely offline with maps and cache info pre-stored (like a GPS unit), or online for no-prep-required caching, more like most people's idea of phone caching.

But OSM is basically just the central map database (streets and trails and so much more), and plenty of apps out there take that data and present it in their own ways. On the www.openstreetmap.org site, pull out the Layers panel using the gadget at the top right side, and see a few different renditions right there. Like the Cycle Map layer (OpenCycleMap) which shows all the trails but with cycle trails emphasized, and with topo contours added. One of many.

PS, it's gratifying to 1) find a cache, 2) update OSM to include the trail going past the cache, and 3) go back to the cache page later and see the little map showing the trail you added. (This only works at times when Groundspeak uses a map that gets updated.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Example of paths mapped in openstreetmap, good maps are helpful for all, not only hikers.

29164527xr.jpg

On base of mapped paths, roads etc. all parts of a route can be packed into a hiking relation.

Example from https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org

29164529av.jpg

When choosing a trail there is a link to a gpx of the route.

29164528zn.jpg

Quality of map depends on whether there are people contributing and whether someone has an eye on keeping the hiking relations intact and not loosing parts when paths/road are edited in the area.

There are various apps that can use maps based on data from openstreetmap, also displaying the hiking overlay.

Example from app Locus, map is from openandromaps based on openstreetmap with hiking overlay (showing the trail numbers/abrreviated hiking trail names).

post-3946100-037685300 1494486459_thumb.png

Most definitely. I use Locus Map Pro on Android (it's both a map- and caching app, sort of a complete Garmin replacement); there are other similar apps on both Android and iOS. Anyway, with this app I can look up the details of a cache (online or offline), have the arrow point me to the cache with a distance remaining, or even navigate turn-by-turn down the trail with spoken directions ("in twenty metres turn right") with the help of a co-app for routing and another for a sultry voice. :)

Oh, and this particular app will work completely offline with maps and cache info pre-stored (like a GPS unit), or online for no-prep-required caching, more like most people's idea of phone caching.

But OSM is basically just the central map database (streets and trails and so much more), and plenty of apps out there take that data and present it in their own ways. On the www.openstreetmap.org site, pull out the Layers panel using the gadget at the top right side, and see a few different renditions right there. Like the Cycle Map layer (OpenCycleMap) which shows all the trails but with cycle trails emphasized, and with topo contours added. One of many.

PS, it's gratifying to 1) find a cache, 2) update OSM to include the trail going past the cache, and 3) go back to the cache page later and see the little map showing the trail you added. (This only works at times when Groundspeak uses a map that gets updated.)

I played around with OSM yesterday and completed the tutorial. My problem is I don't own a smart phone and I'd love to see how everything works on that end. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Example of paths mapped in openstreetmap, good maps are helpful for all, not only hikers.

29164527xr.jpg

On base of mapped paths, roads etc. all parts of a route can be packed into a hiking relation.

Example from https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org

29164529av.jpg

When choosing a trail there is a link to a gpx of the route.

29164528zn.jpg

Quality of map depends on whether there are people contributing and whether someone has an eye on keeping the hiking relations intact and not loosing parts when paths/road are edited in the area.

This is what I was hoping for. the ability to make waypoints with explanations will be important for some of the locations. Thanks

There are various apps that can use maps based on data from openstreetmap, also displaying the hiking overlay.

Example from app Locus, map is from openandromaps based on openstreetmap with hiking overlay (showing the trail numbers/abrreviated hiking trail names).

post-3946100-037685300 1494486459_thumb.png

Thanks. I think all this is exactly what I need. I'm getting kind of excited about this project now. I appreciate the info.

The last picture in another rendering. This one even shows also the symbols like they are on the path for hiking trails composed via osmc:symbol, a 'Machine-Readable Description of Hiking Path Symbols'. There are also maps for Garmin that support these symbols.

29167060cm.jpg

A starting place to see the tagging of ways, points, areas and relations related to hiking and regional 'policies' like for US National Parks.

If you have questions about editing OSM, I'm happy to answer them, or at least try to. I have the same user name over there: http://www.openstree...ajero%20Perdido and you can send me a message via that link.

I use JOSM so that's the editor I'm familiar with: powerful but takes a while to get the hang of. ID is a great getting-started editor, but I've forgotten how it works; you're on your own. :)

If you have questions about editing OSM, I'm happy to answer them, or at least try to. I have the same user name over there: http://www.openstree...ajero%20Perdido and you can send me a message via that link.

I use JOSM so that's the editor I'm familiar with: powerful but takes a while to get the hang of. ID is a great getting-started editor, but I've forgotten how it works; you're on your own. :)

I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge. Let's hope together we can get more people out there enjoying nature.

I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge. Let's hope together we can get more people out there enjoying nature.

you could also check out Acmemapper.com They have a complete set of topo maps for all of the US and Canada. You can scale the maps to your needs and print them out, or just take them along on your phone. The topo maps show all trails as well as all other features. And you can toggle back and forth to satellite imagery of the same area.

you could also check out Acmemapper.com They have a complete set of topo maps for all of the US and Canada. You can scale the maps to your needs and print them out, or just take them along on your phone. The topo maps show all trails as well as all other features. And you can toggle back and forth to satellite imagery of the same area.

Two day's ago I hadn't a clue where to begin. Now I've got so much information I don't know if I'll ever stop. Thanks everyone for all the help.