Feature Request: Geocaching Mobile to Garmin GPS

This seems like an absolute no-brainer, and I would much more appreciate it if your engineers would work on getting this working rather than "fixing" parts of the web site that aren't broken or troublesome.

When I'm looking at a geocache listing in the Geocaching app, why can't I simply transfer it to my Garmin (eTrex touch 35t)? I already get notifications and emails on my Garmin via the phone so clearly there's tethering going on. I should be able to call up a geocache listing, tap "Share->Send to Garmin", and have it show up on my Garmin GPS. This is RIDICULOUSLY obvious and would make things a lot easier in the field, yet there's no way to do this without plugging in a GPS with a cable to a computer?

• Upvote 1

This seems like an absolute no-brainer, and I would much more appreciate it if your engineers would work on getting this working rather than "fixing" parts of the web site that aren't broken or troublesome.

When I'm looking at a geocache listing in the Geocaching app, why can't I simply transfer it to my Garmin (eTrex touch 35t)? I already get notifications and emails on my Garmin via the phone so clearly there's tethering going on. I should be able to call up a geocache listing, tap "Share->Send to Garmin", and have it show up on my Garmin GPS. This is RIDICULOUSLY obvious and would make things a lot easier in the field, yet there's no way to do this without plugging in a GPS with a cable to a computer?

Garmin used to have waypoint sync with Basecamp Mobile but that was removed. Right now, Groundspeak would have to wait for an update to Garmin Connect (which Garmin controls, not Groundspeak) in order to send that data. The Garmin-to-Garmin waypoint sharing between GPSr units does not use Bluetooth or WiFi, it uses ANT which your iPhone doesn't support without an additional dongle.

You can send waypoints to a Garmin GPSr via the iPhone-SD Card adapter and an SD card but the work involved in doing that makes it a niche when most people are going to load at home or just manually enter the coords on the GPSr. If you want to load geocaches on your Garmin, unfortunately Garmin's current marketing is that you will need to purchase an Oregon 700 series ... this doesn't use the Geocaching iPhone app at all, instead the Garmin Oregon connects directly to Geocaching.com via Garmin Connect. I have one of these and my field method for pushing geocaches is to use the phone to make a "list" and then use the Oregon's GC Live functionality to import that list.