Calling all Central Oregon Cachers...

Zzzoey & illDRIVEuNav

When was the last time you thought about taking a trip to lovely Madras, OR?? Probably not too recently... Well we would like to change that!! After weeks of wondering why nobody is hitting our caches we decided it was time to start making it worth your while to leave Bend for a day. There are now over ten caches within 10 miles of our city and we are challenging each and every one of you to come and grab them all!! They range significantly in difficulty from a few simple urban caches to multis, climbers, and runarounds. If you've been wondering how to get more than a few caches without driving half way across the state... It's Madras calling you!!

They still won't let us in to check and see if it is intact. You are welcome to go check it out if you have a way to get inside the perimeter of closed roads. We think the cache itself was probably unharmed but that some of the waypoints may have been melted. Other than that we are relatively sure that Nature in Balance was wiped out, unfortunately. However there are plenty of others that are much closer to Madras and are completely smoke free, unlike further south. Hope we see you up here soon!!

We made it second to two of those caches, logscaler icon_smile.gif Wasn't surprised to see your name there first, but I thought you were out of the area? icon_biggrin.gif

Klove and I hit four Madras-area caches this weekend: Ring around the Rimrocks, Vacation 1, The Musical Fruit, and Barney's Backyard. Lots of fun, probably make the drive up to Madras to finish off a few more in the near future.

snazzsig.jpg

We made it second to two of those caches, logscaler icon_smile.gif Wasn't surprised to see your name there first, but I thought you were out of the area? icon_biggrin.gif

Klove and I hit four Madras-area caches this weekend: Ring around the Rimrocks, Vacation 1, The Musical Fruit, and Barney's Backyard. Lots of fun, probably make the drive up to Madras to finish off a few more in the near future.

snazzsig.jpg

Thanks logscaler and Mr. Snazz and Mad dogs.. and Navdog. All of you took me up on the offer. We were very surprised and happy to see so many logs in just a few days! As far as a geocaching party, we were thinking about that. Not pizza? How about beer?

Well logscaler, we don't hunt (Disgruntled does, I think), and actually it is nice cuz everyone else is GONE.. it is so dead around here during hunting season, you guys are all elbow to elbow out in the thicket! But, I do feel a little weary about doing much caching during hunting season. When I was a kid someone shot at my horse (while I was riding her) but thankfully missed, so I am over cautious about where I go in the "toolies" this time of year. My prior favorite hobby was fossil hunting, same sortof deal, public places were far busier and you had to be aware of who or what was around you. Maybe I am just a tad paranoid. icon_smile.gif

So what do you think of the caches? I figured it was the only way to get folks up here. I am still hoping someone will try Oregon Trunk. So far it has been only Capt Jack and Team Disgruntled.

So you think The Musical Fruit won't last? I didn't think so either but we weren't sure about where to put it. I liked the spot but it is indeed a very busy park, all year long.

I am still shopping for a digital camera, but the more I learn about them the more befuddled I get. What is best? What is better? what can I live without? What is clearly a ripoff.. what is a good deal? Is this model being discontinued in 2 months? Does it do video? Can I get memory? ARGH.. it makes my head spin. One of these days I am gonna stop testing the waters and jump in! Until then, I will make do with this crappy one I use. Sure beats a standard camera as far as turnaround time on the pics.

We keep thinking... MUST have garage sale! to pay for caching... but we want to CACHE so bad we never get around to having the garage sale!!! ARGH! Self discipline.. not our best trait!

Thanks logscaler and Mr. Snazz and Mad dogs.. and Navdog. All of you took me up on the offer. We were very surprised and happy to see so many logs in just a few days! As far as a geocaching party, we were thinking about that. Not pizza? How about beer?

Well logscaler, we don't hunt (Disgruntled does, I think), and actually it is nice cuz everyone else is GONE.. it is so dead around here during hunting season, you guys are all elbow to elbow out in the thicket! But, I do feel a little weary about doing much caching during hunting season. When I was a kid someone shot at my horse (while I was riding her) but thankfully missed, so I am over cautious about where I go in the "toolies" this time of year. My prior favorite hobby was fossil hunting, same sortof deal, public places were far busier and you had to be aware of who or what was around you. Maybe I am just a tad paranoid. icon_smile.gif

So what do you think of the caches? I figured it was the only way to get folks up here. I am still hoping someone will try Oregon Trunk. So far it has been only Capt Jack and Team Disgruntled.

So you think The Musical Fruit won't last? I didn't think so either but we weren't sure about where to put it. I liked the spot but it is indeed a very busy park, all year long.

I am still shopping for a digital camera, but the more I learn about them the more befuddled I get. What is best? What is better? what can I live without? What is clearly a ripoff.. what is a good deal? Is this model being discontinued in 2 months? Does it do video? Can I get memory? ARGH.. it makes my head spin. One of these days I am gonna stop testing the waters and jump in! Until then, I will make do with this crappy one I use. Sure beats a standard camera as far as turnaround time on the pics.

We keep thinking... MUST have garage sale! to pay for caching... but we want to CACHE so bad we never get around to having the garage sale!!! ARGH! Self discipline.. not our best trait!

Beer and/or pizza sounds good to myself and my roommate (Nickr) icon_biggrin.gif

Musical Fruit's chances of survival might be slim. *SPOILER WARNING* for those who havn't done the cache yet - Perhaps putting it in the highlighted area in this photo might increase its chances (note that I'm not sure if there is a bush over there or not...):

possible hiding spot

As for cameras, I'm using a little Sony Cybershot DSC-P30. Nickr uses a more expensive Minolta. We're both eyeballing the $300 Minolta D'Image at Costco, its very tiny.

snazzsig.jpg

Beer and/or pizza sounds good to myself and my roommate (Nickr) icon_biggrin.gif

Musical Fruit's chances of survival might be slim. *SPOILER WARNING* for those who havn't done the cache yet - Perhaps putting it in the highlighted area in this photo might increase its chances (note that I'm not sure if there is a bush over there or not...):

possible hiding spot

As for cameras, I'm using a little Sony Cybershot DSC-P30. Nickr uses a more expensive Minolta. We're both eyeballing the $300 Minolta D'Image at Costco, its very tiny.

snazzsig.jpg

Yeah, we actually wanted to put it there at first, but we couldn't figure out how to hide it really well without it seeming obvious, and also there was evidence of people sitting there, maybe to get out of the sun. Trees are precious and few! I like your photo software btw.

I have been looking at Canon and Olympus, and each has it's fan club and also it's detractors, and the more I look into it, the more I am interested in Nikon, Fuji, Minolta, etc.. Why can't it be easier? Does yours do lots of cool stuff Snazz? the picture is good. I want something that will also do a little video and have a (as much as I can afford) zoom. I am so tired of taking photos of flowers and wildlife and having it comes out with little undiscernable blots in the middle of a big area! Or if I just get closer, the object (flowers usually) just turn into blobs. You swear, you were close to that deer when you drove by and rolled down the window to snap a shot, but then you look at the pics and it looks like you were 500 feet away! Yeesh.

Not sure when we would be able to host a central oregon-well.. "Lava Hoppers" geocache get-together, but if anyone has any ideas on a spot or semi-central location, please contribute your thoughts!

My camera has basic features, 3x optical plus 3x digital zoom (6x total). It can record movie clips (no audio), length determined by how much memory is available on the memorystick (removable sony media).

One thing that I like about it, as compared to the current generation of sony cybershots, is that it can take filters directly. The newer ones, and the little Minolta that I'm looking at, don't have that ability.

Ruggedness is probably something to consider.. I've had this one for less than a year, and the silver paint is already wearing away (although I've taken a few thousand shots with it). In retrospect, I probably should have ordered one of the waterproofing shells for it; not because I shoot underwater, but because it would act as basic armor for the rest of the thing. icon_biggrin.gif

I got an extended warranty from Staples where I bought this on clearance for around $250; if I break it while caching, I just have to bring back as many pieces as I can, and they'll replace it with the same or a comparable model.

snazzsig.jpg

My camera has basic features, 3x optical plus 3x digital zoom (6x total). It can record movie clips (no audio), length determined by how much memory is available on the memorystick (removable sony media).

One thing that I like about it, as compared to the current generation of sony cybershots, is that it can take filters directly. The newer ones, and the little Minolta that I'm looking at, don't have that ability.

Ruggedness is probably something to consider.. I've had this one for less than a year, and the silver paint is already wearing away (although I've taken a few thousand shots with it). In retrospect, I probably should have ordered one of the waterproofing shells for it; not because I shoot underwater, but because it would act as basic armor for the rest of the thing. icon_biggrin.gif

I got an extended warranty from Staples where I bought this on clearance for around $250; if I break it while caching, I just have to bring back as many pieces as I can, and they'll replace it with the same or a comparable model.

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
LOL! Omg you have no idea how many times I have fallen, the entire weight of my body braced with the hand holding the GPS or Camera, sometimes hand down, sometimes GPS or Camera down... I have also outright dropped the camera, and the GPS alone, several times. I have found it to be a supreme pain to juggle so many things while trying to log. And for sure it doesn't help when your caching partner is telling you we need to get going... um.. let's get going.. we can hit a couple more if you hurry.. are we gonna stay here all night? icon_mad.gif etc...lol it's not that bad but sometimes you feel like throwing everything down and sitting in the dirt to write in a log book.

Caching can get very dangerous for electronic gadgets. Luckily, the Garmin has held up nicely, and well, the digital camera is an oldie (spendy in it's day but worth beans now) so I am not too worried about it.

Your camera sounds perfect for caching. I need to go to Bend and testdrive a few of them. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
LOL! Omg you have no idea how many times I have fallen, the entire weight of my body braced with the hand holding the GPS or Camera, sometimes hand down, sometimes GPS or Camera down... I have also outright dropped the camera, and the GPS alone, several times. I have found it to be a supreme pain to juggle so many things while trying to log. And for sure it doesn't help when your caching partner is telling you we need to get going... um.. let's get going.. we can hit a couple more if you hurry.. are we gonna stay here all night? icon_mad.gif etc...lol it's not that bad but sometimes you feel like throwing everything down and sitting in the dirt to write in a log book.

Caching can get very dangerous for electronic gadgets. Luckily, the Garmin has held up nicely, and well, the digital camera is an oldie (spendy in it's day but worth beans now) so I am not too worried about it.

Your camera sounds perfect for caching. I need to go to Bend and testdrive a few of them. icon_biggrin.gif

On Monday I threw my magellan platinum onto the ground repeatedly.

One of the battery contacts came out when I was removing the AAs, so I had to unscrew the thing on the hood of my trunk and fix it in the field. Then, the stupid electronic compass (very, very nice thing to have in a GPS) stopped working again. Hitting it usually fixes it, but not this time. Four or five slams into the ground set it straight icon_smile.gif

snazzsig.jpg

On Monday I threw my magellan platinum onto the ground repeatedly.

One of the battery contacts came out when I was removing the AAs, so I had to unscrew the thing on the hood of my trunk and fix it in the field. Then, the stupid electronic compass (very, very nice thing to have in a GPS) stopped working again. Hitting it usually fixes it, but not this time. Four or five slams into the ground set it straight icon_smile.gif

snazzsig.jpg

I hear ya. For some reason the doodad clip that serves as both a lanyard holder and the screw for the battery cover, has decided to pop out and is now twisted at a strange angle. It cannot be trusted.

PS if you want to see a funny log, check out coupeville's log on July 1 at Two Ponds Beyond: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22260

quote:
Originally posted by Zzzoey:

I have been looking at Canon and Olympus, and each has it's fan club and also it's detractors, and the more I look into it, the more I am interested in Nikon, Fuji, Minolta, etc.. Why can't it be easier?

Confusing, yes, but with a little research you can find the right fit. Sites like the Digital Camera Resource and Imaging Resource help match your needs to what's available. Beyond window shopping on the internet, it's important to handle various cameras, match the camera to your computer setup, and get the best camera you can. Happy shopping!

I could never do that to anyone. Sending them into my garage to find a cache is like sending someone into Hell to find a spark.

PS So Ed did you get your cache name from that spot along the Deschutes? What a neat spot. I wish my camera had done better. I took photos of some yuppies in rafts screaming as they splashed over the rapids, but they came out looking like part of the water itself.

PSS: What is everyone talking about when they say "No Trail fees" stickers? We have one of those yellow year passes for NW forests.. is that what that means?

quote:

PSS: What is everyone talking about when they say "No Trail fees" stickers? We have one of those yellow year passes for NW forests.. is that what that means?

That'd be my guess. Any and all trail fees.

I have a yellow year-long pass too; I hope the money goes towards maintenance. Its already paid for itself, so far as the existing trail/use fees go.

Part of the trail fee "debate" which often gets ignored in public forums is the privitization component. Personally, I'm against Disney coming in to our national forests and setting up shop. Its unfortunate that the endless whitenoise of "tax everyone or tax the users" covers up the more serious issues.

On a totally seperate note, since this seems to have become the Central Oregon chat thread: I have a travelbug which wants to be photographed at local alcohol distribution centers. Any suggestions? I don't "get out much". I was thinking of photographing it at the Deschutes Brewery, for starters. icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

quote:

That'd be my guess. Any and all trail fees.

I have a yellow year-long pass too; I hope the money goes towards maintenance. Its already paid for itself, so far as the existing trail/use fees go.

Part of the trail fee "debate" which often gets ignored in public forums is the privitization component. Personally, I'm against Disney coming in to our national forests and setting up shop. Its unfortunate that the endless whitenoise of "tax everyone or tax the users" covers up the more serious issues.

On a totally seperate note, since this seems to have become the Central Oregon chat thread: I have a travelbug which wants to be photographed at local alcohol distribution centers. Any suggestions? I don't "get out much". I was thinking of photographing it at the Deschutes Brewery, for starters. icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

quote:

I could never do that to anyone. Sending them into my garage to find a cache is like sending someone into Hell to find a spark.

These caches aren't actually in a garage, they merely contain items purchased at garage sales. No reason it couldn't be just outside your garage, though, similar to Central Oregon Urban Cache.

quote:
PS So Ed did you get your cache name from that spot along the Deschutes?

Sort of. My nickname is Big and my name is Eddy. When I met Bob Woodward he started calling me Big Eddy after the place on the Deschutes. It stuck. Why are you Zzzoey?

quote:

Most (but not all) Forest Service trailhead parking areas in Oregon and Washington say they require a Northwest Forest Pass at $5/day or $30/year. Your yellow pass is the annual variety. There is active resistance to the fees, most notably Wild Wilderness which distributes “No Fee” window stickers, bumper stickers and other propaganda found in local caches.

nofees.gif

undemo.jpg

I love beer icon_smile.gif

Well a quick search.. and I come up with these:

Deschutes Brewery.. easy one.. downtown Bend last I checked. My fave is Black Butte Porter.

Bend Brewing Co-Bend: http://www.sharplink.com/bbc/ Nicknamed the BBC-I like the Metolius Golden Ale for a light summer beer. They also have had some success brewing their own vodka and gin (and since gin comes from Juniper berries-what could be a better locale than Central Oregon?)

Cascade Lakes Brewery/Redmond :http://www.cascadelakes.com/ they have yummy beers, my favorite, monkey face porter! The 7th Street Brewhouse is their showcase brewpub, has great food and of course the beer! It is on Canal Blvd not far from Fred Meyer in Redmond.

Hope that helped.

I love beer icon_smile.gif

Well a quick search.. and I come up with these:

Deschutes Brewery.. easy one.. downtown Bend last I checked. My fave is Black Butte Porter.

Bend Brewing Co-Bend: http://www.sharplink.com/bbc/ Nicknamed the BBC-I like the Metolius Golden Ale for a light summer beer. They also have had some success brewing their own vodka and gin (and since gin comes from Juniper berries-what could be a better locale than Central Oregon?)

Cascade Lakes Brewery/Redmond :http://www.cascadelakes.com/ they have yummy beers, my favorite, monkey face porter! The 7th Street Brewhouse is their showcase brewpub, has great food and of course the beer! It is on Canal Blvd not far from Fred Meyer in Redmond.

Hope that helped.

Now I understand about the stickers and the (wink winks) about them. We are also offended by the fees, and it doesn't seem that the money is going to the right places. Our poor truck has never seen so many washboard roads, especially around Century Drive. I know at Sparks Lake the FS person approached us last year because we didn't have the blue slip in our window. We begrudgingly paid, but had only wanted to stop by to SEE the spot, not spend the day, using the bathroom and/or camping or trashing the place! I think the system could definately use some work. I am just as happy (when not seeking caches, as we have already got most of them there) to got to the Ochocos. Lot less folks, nicer FS people. As far as my name, I have a cat named Zoey, and since she sleeps alot, it became Zzzoey icon_smile.gif

illDRIVEuNav is just a good description of hubby's role while caching. He has that car sickness thing where he gets sick only if he isn't driving (yeah likely) so he always does the driving. He also makes sure we stop for food at various times of the day. I would forget if it weren't for him.

Since I love and obsess over any and all maps I can get my hands on, and pretty much always have, our setup works pretty good. I also operate the GPS, or get it directed toward a cache and give it to him, which can be frustrating, as his stride is about 5 times as long if he has that little piece of electronic equipment in his hand!

icon_biggrin.gifZzzoey

Now I understand about the stickers and the (wink winks) about them. We are also offended by the fees, and it doesn't seem that the money is going to the right places. Our poor truck has never seen so many washboard roads, especially around Century Drive. I know at Sparks Lake the FS person approached us last year because we didn't have the blue slip in our window. We begrudgingly paid, but had only wanted to stop by to SEE the spot, not spend the day, using the bathroom and/or camping or trashing the place! I think the system could definately use some work. I am just as happy (when not seeking caches, as we have already got most of them there) to got to the Ochocos. Lot less folks, nicer FS people. As far as my name, I have a cat named Zoey, and since she sleeps alot, it became Zzzoey icon_smile.gif

illDRIVEuNav is just a good description of hubby's role while caching. He has that car sickness thing where he gets sick only if he isn't driving (yeah likely) so he always does the driving. He also makes sure we stop for food at various times of the day. I would forget if it weren't for him.

Since I love and obsess over any and all maps I can get my hands on, and pretty much always have, our setup works pretty good. I also operate the GPS, or get it directed toward a cache and give it to him, which can be frustrating, as his stride is about 5 times as long if he has that little piece of electronic equipment in his hand!

icon_biggrin.gifZzzoey

quote:

illDRIVEuNav is just a good description of hubby's role while caching. He has that car sickness thing where he gets sick only if he isn't driving (yeah likely) so he always does the driving.

heh, I'm at the point where I think something is mechanically wrong with my bronco if I don't feel constant road vibration icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

quote:

illDRIVEuNav is just a good description of hubby's role while caching. He has that car sickness thing where he gets sick only if he isn't driving (yeah likely) so he always does the driving.

heh, I'm at the point where I think something is mechanically wrong with my bronco if I don't feel constant road vibration icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

Sort of. My nickname is _Big_ and my name is _Eddy_. When I met Bob Woodward he started calling me _Big Eddy_ after the place on the Deschutes. It stuck. Why are you Zzzoey?

Bob Woodward from the Washington Post? icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bob "Woody" Woodward, as in Woody's Way at the Mt. Bachelor Nordic Center and former Mayor of Bend. He's an outdoor writer & photographer.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

Sort of. My nickname is _Big_ and my name is _Eddy_. When I met Bob Woodward he started calling me _Big Eddy_ after the place on the Deschutes. It stuck. Why are you Zzzoey?

Bob Woodward from the Washington Post? icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bob "Woody" Woodward, as in Woody's Way at the Mt. Bachelor Nordic Center and former Mayor of Bend. He's an outdoor writer & photographer.