Problems with offline list data

I'm not sure if this is related to the latest app update or not, but I'm now having problems with offline lists in the app.

I downloaded both a list and PQ results offline while connected to wifi. The 2 selections had the solid green checkbox in the Lists list. Later on, I was out caching and put my phone in airplane mode (which I do to conserve my phone's battery and to avoid interruptions). I opened the app, went to Lists, and selected one of the offline lists that I had downloaded earlier in the day.

The offline list showed the caches in list view and map view, but problems arose when I opened a specific cache from that offline list:

-- The 'ABOUT' tab said "This content could not be loaded. Tap to retry." When I tapped, then it just brought me back to the same screen/message.

-- The 'ACTIVITY' and 'WAYPOINTS' tabs looked fine. I could see the past 5 logs and all WP's were visible.

I turned off airplane mode and selected 'Refresh Geocache Data', then put my phone back into airplane mode to test - but the problem persisted. Then tried logging out and back into the app, then downloading offline data again - but the problem persisted. Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this or not.

FYI: App 5.2.3 | Android 4.4.2

I'm not sure if this is related to the latest app update or not, but I'm now having problems with offline lists in the app.

I downloaded both a list and PQ results offline while connected to wifi. The 2 selections had the solid green checkbox in the Lists list. Later on, I was out caching and put my phone in airplane mode (which I do to conserve my phone's battery and to avoid interruptions). I opened the app, went to Lists, and selected one of the offline lists that I had downloaded earlier in the day.

The offline list showed the caches in list view and map view, but problems arose when I opened a specific cache from that offline list:

-- The 'ABOUT' tab said "This content could not be loaded. Tap to retry." When I tapped, then it just brought me back to the same screen/message.

-- The 'ACTIVITY' and 'WAYPOINTS' tabs looked fine. I could see the past 5 logs and all WP's were visible.

I turned off airplane mode and selected 'Refresh Geocache Data', then put my phone back into airplane mode to test - but the problem persisted. Then tried logging out and back into the app, then downloading offline data again - but the problem persisted. Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this or not.

FYI: App 5.2.3 | Android 4.4.2

I think I'm getting the same thing, in Airplane Mode. I tested it today, since it has been kinda fishy lately, and I thought I should try to figure out what's going on. If I select any cache from the list, it opens in the "Activity" tab. When I tried it today, the first cache in the list opened without issue. The rest said "Tap to retry", and if I tap that, the "Activity" information then appears. I have to "tap" once or twice to get it to actually "load". But I don't know what the App is "loading", since it is offline. Today all "Activities" eventually "load" after the initial error.

Edited by kunarion

I think I'm getting the same thing, in Airplane Mode. I tested it today, since it has been kinda fishy lately, and I thought I should try to figure out what's going on. If I select any cache from the list, it opens in the "Activity" tab. When I tried it today, the first cache in the list opened without issue. The rest said "Tap to retry", and if I tap that, the "Activity" information then appears. I have to "tap" once or twice to get it to actually "load". But I don't know what the App is "loading", since it is offline. Today all "Activities" eventually "load" after the initial error.

You're getting better performance than me. I tried it again with a list of 7 caches. After getting the green checkmark, I exited the app, switched to Airplane mode, and opened the app again.

Opened that downloaded list and got the same issue when opening a cache from that list. I hit 'Tap to Retry' several times and still didn't get the cache info to load on the 'About' tab. The 'Activity' and 'Waypoints' tabs were fine though.

Hhmmm.

You're getting better performance than me. I tried it again with a list of 7 caches. After getting the green checkmark, I exited the app, switched to Airplane mode, and opened the app again.

Opened that downloaded list and got the same issue when opening a cache from that list. I hit 'Tap to Retry' several times and still didn't get the cache info to load on the 'About' tab. The 'Activity' and 'Waypoints' tabs were fine though.

Hhmmm.

Wild guess, the data is there, it "loaded", and there's a bug preventing the pages from actually appearing. I'll try to figure out how to consistently populate all the tabs while offline. But it's elusive on my Samsung Galaxy Tab. The effect changes depending on what I try first. Often, it's all blank in the field. It's weird. The iPhone version seems OK.

For an actual database of caches, I use Locus Map Pro (or more often, iPhone and Looking4Cache). It's just as a backup in case something's not loaded into my GPSr.

For an actual database of caches, I use Locus Map Pro (or more often, iPhone and Looking4Cache). It's just as a backup in case something's not loaded into my GPSr.

Yep, the app is just a backup source of cache info. My primary device is a GPSr, but some cache descriptions are easier to read on a phone screen. I've tried several different apps and haven't really found a 'favorite' yet. I'd like to make the official app by go-to app, but haven't yet cut the strings from non-official apps.

We're currently looking into this bug, and we think we've tracked down the issue. A fix will hopefully be included in the 5.4 release (didn't make it in time for 5.3).

What's happening is that when the app wants to load a geocache, it checks the database and the website/api. Normally the database is much faster than the network call to the api, so the cache loads fine. But in airplane mode, the phone is (occasionally) really proactive about cancelling the network call, so it fails instantly before the database check even finishes, and then the app thinks the whole thing failed to load.

The only workaround right now is pretty much just not using airplane mode

We're currently looking into this bug, and we think we've tracked down the issue. A fix will hopefully be included in the 5.4 release (didn't make it in time for 5.3).

What's happening is that when the app wants to load a geocache, it checks the database and the website/api. Normally the database is much faster than the network call to the api, so the cache loads fine. But in airplane mode, the phone is (occasionally) really proactive about cancelling the network call, so it fails instantly before the database check even finishes, and then the app thinks the whole thing failed to load.

The only workaround right now is pretty much just not using airplane mode

Thanks for the explanation. More recently, I've been getting what kunarion has noted, which is that the 'About' info will eventually show if "Tap to Retry" is selected numerous times. Although it still doesn't happen with every cache.

You say not to use 'airplane mode' - does that mean the issue won't occur if I'm offline because I can't get a signal? I generally use airplane mode to test the offline functionality. If cache details don't load in airplane mode, then doesn't that mean they won't work when offline in the boonies?

You say not to use 'airplane mode' - does that mean the issue won't occur if I'm offline because I can't get a signal? I generally use airplane mode to test the offline functionality. If cache details don't load in airplane mode, then doesn't that mean they won't work when offline in the boonies?

In this case, it seems to be specific to airplane mode in particular. Being offline/out of service should work okay, although it's harder for us to test that case comprehensively.

The problem is that in airplane mode, some phones "don't even bother trying" to make a network call, which causes the bug

In this case, it seems to be specific to airplane mode in particular. Being offline/out of service should work okay, although it's harder for us to test that case comprehensively.

The problem is that in airplane mode, some phones "don't even bother trying" to make a network call, which causes the bug

Why are you trying to make a network call at all? That's the problem. If the data is offline???

If the phone is "out of service" area -- it (app/phone) keeps trying and trying and trying and trying to do the network calls and absolutely KILLS the battery.

If the app has an "offline" mode switch in the settings, then the app should never be doing network calls -- ever.

This would also be useful if I have the data offline and my phone is in an area where I get minimal reception - but no DATA -- or I am in another country where I don't want to accidentally use DATA!

Just tell the APP it's to run in offline mode and all should be good.

PS -- I can to this thread because I spent the weekend incredibly frustrated with the OFFLINE capabilities -- I could see 5 logs (not enough by the way) and I could see the waypoints

and my GPS would work, but I couldn't see the ABOUT page and I couldn't see the HINTs. Very frustrating when you are on a power trail of mystery challenge caches on a bike out

of cell phone reception range.

I spent Memorial Day weekend in an area without cell service. I had downloaded a list for offline use and did get the About info after tapping 'Tap to Retry' once or twice. My battery would run down much quicker though, since it kept searching for a signal. When out-of-service, or when I just don't want to be bothered, I would put my phone in Airplane Mode to conserve battery power.

Hopefully, the issue with airplane mode will be resolved in the 5.4 release.

I had problems accessing my offline lists a few days ago, and I was standing under a cell tower. Thankfully I have more than one geocaching app or my trip would have been ruined.

I really like the features of the new app, but when it locks up and don't work in the field it's frustrating. :(

Sorry you had trouble with the offline features. Can you give some more details about what you were seeing? We do have a fix for an offline bug in our 5.4 release that should be available next week, but it would be good to understand whether you're experiencing the same problem or something different.

I had problems accessing my offline lists a few days ago, and I was standing under a cell tower. Thankfully I have more than one geocaching app or my trip would have been ruined.

I really like the features of the new app, but when it locks up and don't work in the field it's frustrating. :(

Sorry you had trouble with the offline features. Can you give some more details about what you were seeing? We do have a fix for an offline bug in our 5.4 release that should be available next week, but it would be good to understand whether you're experiencing the same problem or something different.

As best I remember it appeared that my list was loading, and just kept loading for a few minutes before I exited and used my other app. I had good cell service, even sent a few pictures from the cache site, and I was parked under a cell tower.

I really love the lists and offline features, many places that I geocache do not have cell service or it is real spotty. :)

Hi!

I am also experiencing trouble with the offline list.

I purchased the game for month use in my android phone, the first time since the old app stop working, and i have the same issue.

Just to let you know, I never used the airplane mode while i played or downloaded the list. Just days ago as i made a trip abroad.

The thing is that i have saved a list and in the map it shows really nice but when i tap to see the description and rest in the "About" sector it says it wasn't downloaded.

At first if I tapped the reload button a couple of times it would show the data!

After that it is just random and i might be reloading for ever with no results.

The description, the hint and the size/terrain are crucial to finding them and it makes my life really difficult with knowing only the whereabouts ofbtge cache but not what to look for.

Hope you get this fixed soon because since the last app stopped working i am having trouble and i am not enjoying the game as much 🙁.

Still problems with offline use Version 8.23.0 (2), iOS 12.4.7, iPhone 5s

1) Run a pocket query on the web interface, then use app on phone to attempt to load the offline list. Spinner never stops and app is unresponsive.Circle border looks complete but there’s still a square in the center.

2) Keep phone from sleeping. Wait 30 minutes or so then switch apps and then back to unfreeze/restart the app.

3) Turn on airplane mode.

3) Pick the list to load to the map and some caches show details while others show “This content can’t be accessed while you’re offline”.

I’ve experienced these issue for a couple of years now. Failure of lists to download is constant, not intermittent.