Throw downs - Venting...

If you really want to stop it, you have to post an NA. Report the throwdown, especially if after your DNF, the person who threw it down actually said in their log that they threw a new cache down. But some reviewers might not archive it because throwdowns on PT trails are allowed (nudge nudge wink wink).

I tried. That doesn't work around these parts. An NA on a throwdown is just seen as a NM and unless three people concur (as I was told) then the cache lives on.

https://www.geocachi...W6_belle-rae-ct

Edited by fbingha

If you're only in it for numbers, get a new hobby. To be perfectly frank - no one gives a rat's 4$$ how many smiley faces you have on a website they've never heard of, playing a game that, when explained, sounds ridiculous... JM2C!

Your two cents is pretty useless, and combative and offensive to me.

Yea, I'm combative... :lol:

I've said nothing offensive. If you're referring specifically to the last statement, being that you've been around geocaching for 12ish years, I'm more than certain that there have been times when people have looked at you sideways when you've explained it to them. I can see how my choice of words could be interpreted as insulting the game, but that is far from what I was trying to do.

Where do you get off telling people to get a new hobby if they're in it for the numbers? Who put you in charge. Only 149 finds in 17 years, I think YOU should get a new hobby because you don't look committed to the game :ph34r:

If this guy is our new boss then lots of folk are going to be looking for a new hobby. So sad.

If you're only in it for numbers, get a new hobby. To be perfectly frank - no one gives a rat's 4$$ how many smiley faces you have on a website they've never heard of, playing a game that, when explained, sounds ridiculous... JM2C!

I've said nothing offensive. If you're referring specifically to the last statement, being that you've been around geocaching for 12ish years, I'm more than certain that there have been times when people have looked at you sideways when you've explained it to them. I can see how my choice of words could be interpreted as insulting the game, but that is far from what I was trying to do.

Where do you get off telling people to get a new hobby if they're in it for the numbers? Who put you in charge. Only 149 finds in 17 years, I think YOU should get a new hobby because you don't look committed to the game :ph34r:

Pretty sure, even in this thread, I mentioned that I had been away from it for a long time, and when I got into it (in 2003, at 12 years old, with my father) I didn't always log my finds.. and when I was in my teens, when I would go out, I would never log my finds, as I was much more of a casual cacher, and just went as more of a guest with my father.

That's cool that you didn't or don't log your finds. I hope it's okay that some of us do log our finds. Since you suggested that those of us who are just in it for the numbers need to find a new hobby.

If you really want to stop it, you have to post an NA. Report the throwdown, especially if after your DNF, the person who threw it down actually said in their log that they threw a new cache down. But some reviewers might not archive it because throwdowns on PT trails are allowed (nudge nudge wink wink).

I tried. That doesn't work around these parts. An NA on a throwdown is just seen as a NM and unless three people concur (as I was told) then the cache lives on.

Weird. Reviewers are allowed to archive things because the letters "m", "o", "l", and "d" are in a find log of a demonstrably functional cache, but someone else posts an NA, and it doesn't count. I don't know what to make of it. The log does say it's because of "the status" of this cache, so perhaps there's some magic in this specific case. I encourage you to assume things will work normally if you need to NA some other cache.

1494309160[/url]' post='5653386']
1494161464[/url]' post='5652956']

I noticed that on another California cache. Throwdowns appear to be sanctioned there. :(

That's cool that you didn't or don't log your finds. I hope it's okay that some of us do log our finds. Since you suggested that those of us who are just in it for the numbers need to find a new hobby.

I never discouraged the act, or said anyone shouldn't log their finds, only that when I was young, it wasn't a priority of mine. I was away from the hobby at that time. I was a teenager, not really interested in hanging out with my parents, and without any way to continue to be an active cacher on my own. Perhaps what I wrote was a bit over the top, and 'in the heat of the moment'. If you want to pursue the highest number of caches possible, go for it... I just don't feel that is what geocaching is... there are similar scavenger hunt systems that are more geared towards that type of competitive spirit... It is my opinion that geocaching is not meant to be competitive (in that nature). I apologize if what I said before was offensive, or in poor taste.

Weird. Reviewers are allowed to archive things because the letters "m", "o", "l", and "d" are in a find log of a demonstrably functional cache, but someone else posts an NA, and it doesn't count. I don't know what to make of it. The log does say it's because of "the status" of this cache, so perhaps there's some magic in this specific case. I encourage you to assume things will work normally if you need to NA some other cache.

I noticed that on another California cache. Throwdowns appear to be sanctioned there. :(

Reviewers have a final say for a reason - but that's not to say that, the judgement that once lead that person to become a reviewer, and the trust that was built to get them there, has not shifted. People's ideals, beliefs, etc... change. The problem is that, if a reviewer becomes clearly misaligned with the actual rules, then maybe they should no longer be a reviewer...

To all the throwdowners out there that may be reading this. Please save your money and don't bother replacing my container. Just log it as a find and I promise not to check for your name in the log book.

To expand on this idea.. maybe log it as a find, and e-mail the CO with a pic of where you thought it would-be/should-be/was, then log a NM?

To all the throwdowners out there that may be reading this. Please save your money and don't bother replacing my container. Just log it as a find and I promise not to check for your name in the log book.

To expand on this idea.. maybe log it as a find, and e-mail the CO with a pic of where you thought it would-be/should-be/was, then log a NM?

Absloutely, because, numbers... :rolleyes:

Pretty sure, even in this thread, I mentioned that I had been away from it for a long time, and when I got into it (in 2003, at 12 years old, with my father) I didn't always log my finds.. and when I was in my teens, when I would go out, I would never log my finds, as I was much more of a casual cacher, and just went as more of a guest with my father.

So if I take a few years off and only log some of my finds, can I stay in the hobby?

If you're only in it for numbers, get a new hobby. To be perfectly frank - no one gives a rat's 4$ how many smiley faces you have on a website they've never heard of, playing a game that, when explained, sounds ridiculous... JM2C!

So if I take a few years off and only log some of my finds, can I stay in the hobby?

Yea, but only cause your Traditional Cache Count is...

maxresdefault.jpg

If I had a faster internet connection, I'd find all your caches today!!! :P

Lol. Thats one thing that seems to still exist on some level - is the integrity of people not saying they found caches which they haven't, at least not en mass.

• Upvote 1

Lol. Thats one thing that seems to still exist on some level - is the integrity of people not saying they found caches which they haven't, at least not en mass.

This is usually the point at which someone posts the immortal words it's only a game.

Those words of course are completely true it's just that for some people the game is let's pretend we found geocaches :lol:

This is usually the point at which someone posts the immortal words it's only a game.

Those words of course are completely true it's just that for some people the game is let's pretend we found geocaches :lol:

Sorry but... much like anything else... you're only hurting yourself by lying about it. A false boost in your pride only increases the distance you fall when that hollow egotistical tower comes crashing down. Leaving a crater too deep to climb out of ;)

I am actually fairly proud of my find count. I had one 206 find PT day, one 105 find PT day. And then nearly every other find is from good old fashioned geocaching.

I am actually fairly proud of my find count. I had one 206 find PT day, one 105 find PT day. And then nearly every other find is from good old fashioned geocaching.

I looked at your stats, and you were not the... err, 'type of cacher', I was referring to. You can generally infer from statistics alone, about the way that someone has acquired their count. And it becomes more so apparent between the 10k-20k marks. Beyond that, the numbers become blurred. As I feel at that point most people are traveling much further for caches, and will grab as many as possible in a short time, regardless of quality.

I never discouraged the act, or said anyone shouldn't log their finds, only that when I was young, it wasn't a priority of mine. I was away from the hobby at that time. I was a teenager, not really interested in hanging out with my parents, and without any way to continue to be an active cacher on my own. Perhaps what I wrote was a bit over the top, and 'in the heat of the moment'. If you want to pursue the highest number of caches possible, go for it... I just don't feel that is what geocaching is... there are similar scavenger hunt systems that are more geared towards that type of competitive spirit... It is my opinion that geocaching is not meant to be competitive (in that nature). I apologize if what I said before was offensive, or in poor taste.

Reviewers have a final say for a reason - but that's not to say that, the judgement that once lead that person to become a reviewer, and the trust that was built to get them there, has not shifted. People's ideals, beliefs, etc... change. The problem is that, if a reviewer becomes clearly misaligned with the actual rules, then maybe they should no longer be a reviewer...

Competitive geocaching would mean I care about others' numbers. I do not care how many Finds anyone has. I only care about how many Finds I have.

Yes. I too would like to stay in this hobby after a short break.

Competitive geocaching would mean I care about others' numbers. I do not care how many Finds anyone has. I only care about how many Finds I have.

Okay, I'm genuinely interested to know, what is it about the numbers? Is the number your sole purpose for continuing to cache?

I'd rather have someone log my caches from the comfort of their computer than muddy up my hides with throwdowns.

Okay, I'm genuinely interested to know, what is it about the numbers? Is the number your sole purpose for continuing to cache?

The thing about numbers??? Each person measures their caching by numbers in black and white (or is that yellow), it is the way the system was created, it is the system that we choose to take part in, and many of us not only choose to take part in it, but truly love and enjoy our passions.

So assuming you are truly interested and not just attempting to stir the pot.. here is our individual reason for keeping track of numbers/stats.

Each one of those numbers for us represents an adventure, an experience, and a part of our life. It doesn't matter if it was a park n grab on a guardrail that took 15 seconds to find, or a 5/5 multi that took 5 hours to complete... they are personal achievements for us, and it don't really matter if someone else approves or disapproves, because they are personal.. if somebody else is interested in our numbers then we are happy to share the joy and serenity of them with anyone

The important thing here is to not assume to know things about another cacher simply based on their numbers.. just enjoy Geocaching in the way you want to(within the rules that Groundspeak has set) and let others do the same thing.

Edited by SerenitySearchers
  • Upvote 1

I'd rather have someone log my caches from the comfort of their computer than muddy up my hides with throwdowns.

Ok - en route to 27 more! As soon as my network comes up... :rolleyes:

First: I don't do power trails. I hate power trails -- I tried twice and both times it was mind-numbing, repetitive, busy work with no time to interact with my friends. Not my cup of tea at all.

But: other people seem to love them, and I have no right to insist that everyone cache according to what I like. If people like power trails, more power (!) to them. As long as I can filter them out, I am content to live and let live.

It's clear that the PT community has developed standards for how PTs are to be done that are different from the standards of how other caches are done. Once again, that is perfectly fine. Cut-and-paste logs, throwdowns, etc. are part of the power-trail ethos, and within that context they are fine with me.

I now go to pretty great lengths to place my caches so that they won't become perceived as part of a power trail. It's not terribly difficult; I had a couple that were swarmed by PT caches, so I archived them since I personally do not enjoy getting cut-and-paste logs on my caches.

The only potential problem here is with throwdowns. But I don't think it is such a big deal. In my experience, the overlap between PT cachers and cachers who do my caches is sufficiently small that I don't worry about them on my caches, and they are pretty rare on caches that I seek. If, as a CO, you have a cache that is frequented by PT cachers, it might be wise to put a note on the cache page asking that throwdowns not be placed. Also, if you find a cache and a throwdown for it, I'd remove the throwdown and write in my log that I did so.

Remember: it's the CO's cache. IMO, if they want to allow throwdowns, that is within their rights. If they don't care, then that is also within their rights. If they really don't want them, they can easily say so. As with the whole maintenance issue, they are under no obligation to make your caching experience at their cache exactly how you want it to be.

TL;DR: Live and let live.

So now the burden is on me to specifically state in my cache descriptions, "no throwdowns"? I don't think so! <_<

It's sad that people want that smiley count so bad that they throw down junk. Power trail or not, cache owner approval or not,,, the person throwdowning didn't find squat. How someone can equate this with legitimately finding a cache is beyond me.

• Upvote 3

Ok - en route to 27 more! As soon as my network comes up... :rolleyes:

Might as well log them twice I mean make it worth your while.

• Upvote 1

The thing about numbers??? Each person measures their caching by numbers in black and white (or is that yellow), it is the way the system was created, it is the system that we choose to take part in, and many of us not only choose to take part in it, but truly love and enjoy our passions.

So assuming you are truly interested and not just attempting to stir the pot.. here is our individual reason for keeping track of numbers/stats.

Each one of those numbers for us represents an adventure, an experience, and a part of our life. It doesn't matter if it was a park n grab on a guardrail that took 15 seconds to find, or a 5/5 multi that took 5 hours to complete... they are personal achievements for us, and it don't really matter if someone else approves or disapproves, because they are personal.. if somebody else is interested in our numbers then we are happy to share the joy and serenity of them with anyone

The important thing here is to not assume to know things about another cacher simply based on their numbers.. just enjoy Geocaching in the way you want to(within the rules that Groundspeak has set) and let others do the same thing.

I would never cast assumptions on numbers by themselves. But if light is shed on the questionable ways those numbers were obtained, then yes, it's only natural for others to form an opinion. Does it hurt me that someone logs a false find? Most of the time, no. However, i do reserve the right to roll my eyes when bogus find count is brought up.

Honestly, if you want to strive for high numbers, go for it. I just think there are better suited hobbies for that type of thing. What you're describing, is not the competitive mentality. Of course I understand the psychology of 'The Highest Score'. I just feel that geocaching is something that is so much more than numbers, and as I have said before: When I see that super high count, well, I'm not impressed with their high number - so much as the incredible adventure(s) that were cultivated to reach it. The number of different places, etc... But, what 'adventure' is there to pulling up to a guard rail in a parking lot? I don't care what size the cache is, or what is inside, so much as - was it more than just another magnet stuck to a lamp post?

I do, however, enjoy the creativity of some of the camouflage of caches in parking lots...

I suppose I just think that 'boosting' as I would call it (based on experience with games that are highly stat-oriented) is pointless, and generally, with anything, takes away from whatever it is when you take away the numbers.

• Upvote 1

Yep.

Or muddy up an NA-in-progress with a piece of litter (aka throwdown).

*NA in progress is a cache that's abandoned and going through the process of archival via the usual route of DNFs>NM>NA>Disable>Reviewer Archive

• Upvote 1

Well, what else is there? This isn't a dating site...

Honestly, if you want to strive for high numbers, go for it. I just think there are better suited hobbies for that type of thing. What you're describing, is not the competitive mentality. Of course I understand the psychology of 'The Highest Score'. I just feel that geocaching is something that is so much more than numbers, and as I have said before: When I see that super high count, well, I'm not impressed with their high number - so much as the incredible adventure(s) that were cultivated to reach it. The number of different places, etc... But, what 'adventure' is there to pulling up to a guard rail in a parking lot? I don't care what size the cache is, or what is inside, so much as - was it more than just another magnet stuck to a lamp post?

I do, however, enjoy the creativity of some of the camouflage of caches in parking lots...

I suppose I just think that 'boosting' as I would call it (based on experience with games that are highly stat-oriented) is pointless, and generally, with anything, takes away from whatever it is when you take away the numbers.

I'm not interested in impressing anyone with how many Finds I have.

There's nothing special about a guard rail cache or a lamp post cache or a plastic bowl in a rock wall. But I don't know that those are the types of caches I will be finding until I arrive at GZ. When I go out caching, I pull up the map, I pick a route of some caches I would like to find and set out. Some times they are predetermined routes with a certain number of caches I hope to find, other days I just hit the road and drive into a nearby city, park the car and start walking. The point of the game for me is to find as many caches as I possibly can. I don't know how else to explain it.

It's clear that the PT community has developed standards for how PTs are to be done that are different from the standards of how other caches are done. Once again, that is perfectly fine. Cut-and-paste logs, throwdowns, etc. are part of the power-trail ethos, and within that context they are fine with me.

I now go to pretty great lengths to place my caches so that they won't become perceived as part of a power trail. It's not terribly difficult; I had a couple that were swarmed by PT caches, so I archived them since I personally do not enjoy getting cut-and-paste logs on my caches.

I can't say that when I had to archive my cache because of a new PT nearby I still would call the PT ethos fine and wish more power to the people who like it.

TL;DR: Live and let live.

The PT lives now and at least some of your caches do not live anymore. Just sayin...

But I guess I should adore your pragmatism.

• Upvote 2

I'm not interested in impressing anyone with how many Finds I have.

There's nothing special about a guard rail cache or a lamp post cache or a plastic bowl in a rock wall. But I don't know that those are the types of caches I will be finding until I arrive at GZ. When I go out caching, I pull up the map, I pick a route of some caches I would like to find and set out. Some times they are predetermined routes with a certain number of caches I hope to find, other days I just hit the road and drive into a nearby city, park the car and start walking. The point of the game for me is to find as many caches as I possibly can. I don't know how else to explain it.

Fair enough. I suppose the evolving demographic has created space for those who are less in it for the adventure, than the find. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to find as many as you can, I just feel that if you're obsessed with those numbers - enough so that, in the even of a DNF, you just throw down another cache and say you found it... well... that, to me, is an issue with integrity.

• Upvote 1
On 5/8/2017 at 6:38 PM, L0ne.R said:

Would a reviewer publish a cache if the hider acknowledged that their maintenance plan was to allow throwdowns?

Not that I'm advocating throwdowns (hate 'em with the fire of a thousand suns!), but there is a huge power trail in my area where they are encouraged.  The power trail description even states that the caches at each end of the trail contain extra cache containers for your use in helping maintain the trail.  The only thing I can say in favor of this is that you can at least easily discern where most of these caches should be because they are hidden in a rock "nest" which is easily recognizable. (Again, still against the rules, but at least it's better than a throwdown where someone has no idea where the cache should be.)  This trail has been up and running for at least four years now. 

12 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

I published a cache dedicated to discouraging throwdowns. See "No Throwdowns Please Puzzle, GC767C7."

lol, well at least question #7 leaves it open for other answers with E being only "none of the above" not "never". ;)

Love the intent of the 'trivia', but there are some geocaching-ethics questions that could be argued as they aren't based on enforceable requirements. (for example, the appropriateness of logging 'found it' really is only 'if the name you cached under is in the logbook' - beyond that it's an ethic many quibble over)

But I like :)

• Upvote 1

Ah.  Throw downs...  I'm working on a series of C&D caches (some humor involved).  The CO had been missing for a few years, but has signed in recently.  I would guess that most of the caches are throw downs.  Very interesting variety of micro containers.  Almost all (but not all) of the hides are identical.  Behind an electrical pole, under a rock.  The poles are about 277' apart.  The coords are not very accurate.  (It is an interesting and beautiful place to hike or bike.)  I saw two great blue herons today!!  On the way out (yes.  I walked about three miles today) there was one That was in an area between two poles.  Not at the first one.  Continues on.  Ah.  There's a throw down behind a pole 190' off.  Okay.  On the way back,I checked the coords again.  Hmmm...  There's a throwdown behind a tree on the other side of the path.  I found it twice!  (But with the new system, I cannot log it twice.  :()  Yeah.  I know most of these containers are throw downs.  Great area, but the CO should be doing maintenance.  Checking coordinates.  Replacing throw downs.  But I doubt that's going to happen.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Justin Of Terrytown said:

I never understand why somebody would intentionally break the rules.

Take your pick... Why People Cheat

There have also been many lengthy discussions in (what used to be Usenet Newsgroup) rec.games.board which can now be found in Goggle Groups.  If you click on that link and search for discussions re: cheating, you'll find a drop-down with many choices.  That doesn't really scratch the surface.  As a contributor to that group for over 10 years (when it was still on Usenet before Goggle "adopted" it, I can attest that the topic of cheating and why people (would) do it was one of the most rehashed topics there.  I'm sure there are a few topics like that here.  :rolleyes:

Another searchable forum can be found on BoardgameGeek.com, where result #s re: cheating are similar.  I notice that there seem to be a number of GCers on that site now as well...

Edited by RufusClupea
formatting
  • Upvote 1
On 7/29/2017 at 6:24 PM, Harry Dolphin said:

Ah.  Throw downs...  I'm working on a series of C&D caches (some humor involved).  The CO had been missing for a few years, but has signed in recently.  I would guess that most of the caches are throw downs.  Very interesting variety of micro containers.  Almost all (but not all) of the hides are identical.  Behind an electrical pole, under a rock.  The poles are about 277' apart.  The coords are not very accurate.  (It is an interesting and beautiful place to hike or bike.)  I saw two great blue herons today!!  On the way out (yes.  I walked about three miles today) there was one That was in an area between two poles.  Not at the first one.  Continues on.  Ah.  There's a throw down behind a pole 190' off.  Okay.  On the way back,I checked the coords again.  Hmmm...  There's a throwdown behind a tree on the other side of the path.  I found it twice!  (But with the new system, I cannot log it twice.  :()  Yeah.  I know most of these containers are throw downs.  Great area, but the CO should be doing maintenance.  Checking coordinates.  Replacing throw downs.  But I doubt that's going to happen.

Coordinates are off, and multiple cache containers near and around GZ. Someone should be logging NM logs if this is happening. And if enough NM logs are posted, eventually, if no CO action, then caches are archived. 

Pet peeve re the above - a commonly found cache with many Find logs, all saying 'coordinates off', yet no one posts their own coord readings with their log, nor any NM, and the owner does nothing.

I tend to ignore one or two 'off' coordinate logs (as a finder or as a CO) since who knows what device is being used, what its accuracy is, or the user's capability to achieve good coordinates. But when there's a clear situation being seen of repeated bad coordinates, and no one does anything... grr!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
On 7/27/2017 at 8:57 PM, Team Christiansen said:

I published a cache dedicated to discouraging throwdowns. See "No Throwdowns Please Puzzle, GC767C7."

You are my new hero!  Love it.  With reference to question 8, I always cry before dutifully logging my DNF.  Sometimes I take selfies of my sad face. :)  

I loved your options for 5 A & C!    

There is a thread called "Found it = didn't find it" and it sounds like some of these stories fit into that category. There is a cacher that went with her family and logged a found it when the cache was gone and she didn't actually find it. I know its technically not logging a throwdown as a find, but still.... 

On 5/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, SerenitySearchers said:

Each person measures their caching by numbers in black and white

Just to pick at this one little nit...

I am a person, and I do not measure my caching by numbers, either black and white, or otherwise.  I honestly have no idea how many caches I've found, or, how many I've logged.  Granted, I could look it up, but I really don't care.  It is irrelevant to me.  I will say, whatever the current total is, you could probably add a few thousand to that count, as I tend not to log finds on caches I dislike, and delete logs on caches I can't remember.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Clan Riffster said:

Just to pick at this one little nit...

I am a person, and I do not measure my caching by numbers, either black and white, or otherwise.  I honestly have no idea how many caches I've found, or, how many I've logged.  Granted, I could look it up, but I really don't care.  It is irrelevant to me.  I will say, whatever the current total is, you could probably add a few thousand to that count, as I tend not to log finds on caches I dislike, and delete logs on caches I can't remember.

Hmm, this takes "It's not about the numbers" to a whole different level. Why even geocache..  (rhetorical, please don't answer).

• Upvote 1

I get frustrated even if it is someone I know thinking it's missing or ask a previous finder not knowing or asking if maybe I moved it or changed it. When difficult ones all of the sudden become too easy. I just replaced one today that someone put a throwdown.