How to remove your needs maintenance log if you don't own the cache?

beno988

So I logged a "needs maintenance" log on a geocache by soquel1930 and now someone messaged me to remove it since the owner has passed away a few years ago, how do I do that?

Just delete your log, but if the cache is not maintained and the owner has expired then you did the right thing. The cache is now ownerless.

If me, I'd leave my NM as is...

Wasn't there at the time of the NM, now one with over 10,000 "Finds" placed a "replacement" (throwdown).

"Since **** is no longer caching on Earth I don't think he would mind if I replaced it.

- Your log was accurate at the time. :)

Curious if he'd be interested in "fixing" the other 300 + still out there...

Rather than edit...

Another searching between you and the throwdowner, with well-over 15,000 finds said in their DNF log, "I'd file a MAINTENANCE NEEDED log, but that has already been done".

- So I believe more than just me believe you did the correct thing. :)

I looked at a red wrenched cache of the deceased and it looks like in California it is sanctioned by reviewers to unofficially adopt a cache.

5 DNFs in a row for about 10 months. Then a reviewer disable....

icon_admin.gif

Reviewer

23.png

Enable Listing
04/27/2017

Enabling cache.

----------

^^^

U
prem_user.gif
Premium Member
found.png

4.png
Write note
04/27/2017

I replaced the cache today. It's just inside the canopy, best approached from behind

-------------

^^^

U (not the cache owner)

prem_user.gif

Premium Member
found.png

4.png

Write note
04/13/2017

I'll replace this one shortly.

------------

^^^

Reviewer disable
04/11/2017

[canned message]

Edited by L0ne.R

Go to your 'needs maintenance' log and hit edit. Delete the log. This seems to remove the red wrench. (I tried it.)

I cannot replicate this. I logged NM on a cache, and then deleted the log.

The NM attribute remains.

I logged NM by both "old" logging and the "new logging experience", either way, deleting the log did NOT remove the NM attribute?

Got GC Code for a cache where you added the NM with a log, deleted the log and now there's no NM attribute?

There are two articles in the Help Center on deleting logs, both state one way or another that deleting a log will NOT undo any log action.

Specific to this thread, logging NM action is that puts the NM attribute on the cache page. Deleting the log, whether by the cache owner or the logger does NOT remove the NM attribute, as far as I know (?).

Needs Maintenance and Needs Archived logs

Deleting a Needs Maintenance log does not remove the Needs Maintenance icon.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

So I logged a "needs maintenance" log on a geocache by soquel1930 and now someone messaged me to remove it since the owner has passed away a few years ago, how do I do that?

What I probably should have said is he replaced it and that's why he wants me to remove my log

What I probably should have said is he replaced it and that's why he wants me to remove my log

Tell him to contact the reviewer.

He replaced it, not the Cache Owner.

Neither of you will be able to remove that red wrench from the cache page, whether you delete your correct log, or not.

To remove that red wrench, you'll need to contact the Reviewer (or Groundspeak...).

I looked at a red wrenched cache of the deceased and it looks like in California it is sanctioned by reviewers to unofficially adopt a cache.

OK with me. I'm willing to give reviewers any amount of latitude that they feel is appropriate. The guidelines aren't there to create some arbitrary line of compliance; they're there to make the game run smoothly. So if a reviewer decides the guidelines can be bent -- or ignored -- without causing any problems, I support them completely. (Of course, I'm in California and "grew up" with those reviewers.)

Go to your 'needs maintenance' log and hit edit. Delete the log. This seems to remove the red wrench. (I tried it.)

I cannot replicate this. I logged NM on a cache, and then deleted the log.

The NM attribute remains.

I logged NM by both "old" logging and the "new logging experience", either way, deleting the log did NOT remove the NM attribute?

Thanks for checking. I couldn't believe Harry Dolphin even though I'd trust him with my life based on what I know of him, so I was ready to believe him even though it seemed the reverse of anything I've seen or heard about how NMs work.

To me, his is a reasonable request that I would comply with. But I'm also OK with someone else having a different attitude towards these events. What I would argue against is saying the request was unreasonable, regardless of whether the requestee complied with it or not.

it´s done this is the message i replied with

Hi

I deleted my log but you may want to contact the reviewer of the cache as it's possible the red wrench may still show up and a reviewer may be the only one who can remove it. Just a thought.

it´s done this is the message i replied with

Hi

I deleted my log but you may want to contact the reviewer of the cache as it's possible the red wrench may still show up and a reviewer may be the only one who can remove it. Just a thought.

If "it's done" means you deleted your correct log, leaving another hanging (the cacher after you), than yeah.

Just looking at the cache shows that though the (correct) log is now deleted, the cache has a NM flag (that red wrench).

But, since the throwdowner (apparently, to me) have no issue with throwdowns, they may well feel that a Reviewer doesn't either... :)