Record holders

oldschool

Was wondering about who holds some records, like the record for most finds in one day? Another one, who has found the most Geocaches? I know there was an group that had a single account and they had over 10k finds to their credit. Makes me wonder if they all cached separately and gave the group credit for them all hunting the caches at the same time.

Project-GC.com is a great source for statistics. You can slice and dice worldwide, by country, by province/state/region -- even by county!

The site tells me that, as of today, Alamogul has the most total finds with 161,363, and the most finds in one day were recorded by hans415, with 5,578. There are now 41 geocachers who have logged more than 2,000 finds for a single day!

Makes me wonder how that's even possible. Most finds in a single day that I've ever heard of is something along the lines of 150. Just "wow"....

I don't know the reason for any specific user, but the best reason I've heard for people getting very high numbers in one day is that they split from a previously joint account, and relogged all their previous finds on the same day.

Project-GC.com is a great source for statistics. You can slice and dice worldwide, by country, by province/state/region -- even by county!

The site tells me that, as of today, Alamogul has the most total finds with 161,363, and the most finds in one day were recorded by hans415, with 5,578. There are now 41 geocachers who have logged more than 2,000 finds for a single day!

Wow! That's one find every 15 seconds for a 24 hour day! I'm astonished, astounded, and unbelieving. 2,000 finds is one every 7.2 minutes. for 24 hours. Even that is astounding!

Wow! That's one find every 15 seconds for a 24 hour day! I'm astonished, astounded, and unbelieving. 2,000 finds is one every 7.2 minutes. for 24 hours. Even that is astounding!

That's what I'm saying. Physically those kinds of number are impossible. I would have to think they went caching for a whole week or more and dated everything for the same day so they could claim those kinds of numbers. Either that or like what was mentioned above with people re logging previously found caches under a different account.

That's what I'm saying. Physically those kinds of number are impossible. I would have to think they went caching for a whole week or more and dated everything for the same day so they could claim those kinds of numbers. Either that or like what was mentioned above with people re logging previously found caches under a different account.

Careful what you call impossible. 7.2 minutes per cache is pretty slow for a power trail. I've seen one video that shows less than a minute per find - that's working as a team in a van. I, myself, do find the 5,578 in a day hard to fathom...

Careful what you call impossible. 7.2 minutes per cache is pretty slow for a power trail. I've seen one video that shows less than a minute per find - that's working as a team in a van. I, myself, do find the 5,578 in a day hard to fathom...

Yeah, I want a math check:

24 hours x 60 minutes = 1440 minutes in a full day (even at one per min, 2k is out of the question)

Large claim:

5,578 caches is 3.9 caches per minute which is very close to 4/min (roughly one every 15 sec)

Spacing of caches are a minimum of 528 ft which is 0.4 miles per minute x 60 minutes = 24 miles per hour average speed over a 24 hour span

Also 5,578 caches x 0.1 miles = 558 miles traveled at the absolute minimum cache spacing

So I guess you could argue that it's technically possible

Of course there a lot of assumptions which include:

- that there is a power trail with 5,578 caches spaced 0.1 miles apart

- the vehicle maintains this average speed over 24 hours (no stopping only slowing of the vehicle to grab / replace caches - caches are tossed to the rig while still moving?)

- no fuel stop

- no bathroom stops

- no food stops

- probably a large support team so the cacher only quickly signs the logsheet and does little else

Smaller Claim:

2,000 caches is 1.4 caches per minute (one every 43 sec)

Spacing of caches are a minimum of 528 ft which is .14 miles per minute x 60 minutes = 8.4 miles per hour average speed over a 24 hour span

Also 2,000 caches x 0.1 miles = 200 miles traveled at the absolute minimum cache spacing

Assumptions include:

- that there is a power trail with 2,000 caches spaced 0.1 miles apart

- the vehicle maintains this average speed over 24 hours

- no food stops

- bathroom stops are made up with higher vehicle top speed between caches (time at 0 speed quickly drags down the average)

- any slowing of vehicle below 8.4 mph to grab/replace is made up with higher vehicle top speed between caches

- that the vehicle is able to accelerate to required top speed in less than 264 ft

My 2 cents: anything close to 2k in a day would be very momentous achievement. Are there even any 2k+ cache power trails yet?

Heck, I'd be impressed by someone signing their caching name on a piece of paper 2000 times straight

Are there even any 2k+ cache power trails yet?

ET Highway PT has over 2500 caches.

Heck, I'd be impressed by someone signing their caching name on a piece of paper 2000 times straight

That's where a team is needed - driver, navigator, signer, grabber/replacer and spares.

To my line of thinking, anything between 300 to 500 in a single day is plausible in a given rolling 24 hour period. If it was done alone? Very impressive. More than likely though, you'd be pulling those numbers with a team of other people. Probably would be easier if there were 3 to 4 drivers that do nothing but transport people from cache to cache.

Holey cow. Not only the ET but many offshoots. So the trails are there.

I'm still a strong skeptic of the 2000+ finders. I'd be willing to concede that it's possible that at least one on that list has truly done it, however the incentive to fudge numbers here is too great while the risk of being caught is extremely low.

Personally, I would need to see a GPS track to believe any claims.

There always has to be someone who ruins the game for everyone else. I call BS on anyone with 1000+ "finds" in one day. You're logging caches that you didsn't find. I found a cache with my dad and as we were signing a guy drives up and honks. We think this guy needs directions, so we go over to the car. its "a well known cacher".... He asks us if he can stamp the cache we were signing. He didnt even get out of his car.

I don't know how many other people play like this, but it really ruins the game and the chance of anyone legitimately getting the most finds.

I can totally believe 1000+ or even 2000+ given enough caches that are easy to find. And I think even possible without any of the popular "cheats" like leap-frogging or swapping caches from one spot to the next signing each on the way in between. I've done 727 in a single day midnight to midnight and a huge number of those caches were a long series of well hidden caches all different to the others, some of which we DNFed after searching for 10 minutes or more. In the end we ran out of caches. during our peak hour during the day we found, signed and rehid a cache every 50 seconds.