Traditional geocaches

oilqueen

Hi I was very keen a few years back at geocaching , and naturally did most of my locality that is within walking distance from home, now i have downloaded it again , yet a lot of the geocaches I know are still in place are not showing on the map, yet when i checked the cache is still in the places I remember, only reason I am asking , as my son and friend want to do it now, and thought I could use the ones I know of to start them of, but they just dont show on any of our maps ?? not even as a smiley face ? I also want my monies worth, I hate to think caches are out there , but not showing on my map :) thanks

Ps I am using the Groundspeak app on my iphone 6s........

Edited by oilqueen

The caches you mention may have been archived..... Check your list of finds, they will be there, in red and crossed out if this is the case.

Addit after your edit - I only use the app for field messaging, so what I said refers to the website.

Edited by lee737

Two possibilities, the caches may archived as lee737 mentioned, AND the other is that you may have the app set up to show only "caches I have not found"! So you don't see them. There's a filter function in the app, you may need to find it and make sure it's showing all active caches.

=

Hi I was very keen a few years back at geocaching , and naturally did most of my locality that is within walking distance from home, now i have downloaded it again , yet a lot of the geocaches I know are still in place are not showing on the map, yet when i checked the cache is still in the places I remember, only reason I am asking , as my son and friend want to do it now, and thought I could use the ones I know of to start them of, but they just dont show on any of our maps ?? not even as a smiley face ? I also want my monies worth, I hate to think caches are out there , but not showing on my map :) thanks

Ps I am using the Groundspeak app on my iphone 6s........

I had same issue, was a quick fix in my case. Double check your search filters and make sure you have 'all' selected- that you haven't eliminated caches you've already found from your search query.

The caches you mention may have been archived..... Check your list of finds, they will be there, in red and crossed out if this is the case.

Addit after your edit - I only use the app for field messaging, so what I said refers to the website.

Hi i checked and yes most have a red line through them, why do they do this, why cant all cachs be permanently active ?

...... why do they do this, why cant all cachs be permanently active ?

Nothing is permanent..... Owners decide they don't want to cache anymore, cache gets stolen, cache gets washed away, lots of reasons. Every archived cache might just make way for a new one, so it is good.... :)

Hello, I found accidentally a cache the other day that I wasn't even looking for. So naturally I opened my app to log the find, only to discover that the cache ( small traditional) was not on the map. Frustrating! The log is signed 20+ times and as recently as 9/17. I want to give this cache it's rightful home. Can anyone help with suggestions, I thought about contacting members who have logged it, but I don't know how to contact/message members.

Thank you

My guess is that you found the Final cache for a Puzzle or Multi.  You might look around on the maps near the location and see if anything looks likely.  If there were any identifying features on the container or logsheet (which it sounds like there wasn't), that could also guide your investigation.

You can search for other Users on the website from a link on your Dashboard that should take you to this page:

https://www.geocaching.com/find/default.aspx

From their Profile page, you can either email them or use the Message Center.

Lastly, it's probably best to start a new thread rather than resurrecting an old zombie thread, but I guess it's Halloween, so that's kind of appropriate ;)