Food banks

Hello guys........please be gentle. :)

What's are your views on food banks as a possible new category.

Was thinking of have waymarks at places where either food is dropped off/ collected, and places where food can be collected from, although these are usually the same place.

I know that several countries operate food banks, either through charity grounds or local government/council.

Thinking about the food banks that I have come across in the countries I have lived in, they are sometimes very large and well run banks, and unfortunately sometimes under stocked and very much in need of donations.

Think it would be nice for the Waymarking community to be made aware of where food bank stations/drop off points etc where, and hopefully as we grab another waymark, we might feel like dropping off some items for those who are in need of help.

What are your views? It is worth putting a group together for a catorgory proposal?

I think they would fit in the "Permanent Charity Donation Locations" category, no?

I looked at that category.

Firstly, it states non perishable foods, whereas food banks often have perishable, although that's a minor point.

Secondly, the bigger part of the food bank category would be that food banks are where you can pick up food, which would therefor exclude it from the donation category.

I agree with that these food banks may be redundant with Permanent Charity Drop-off locations. Have you contacted the leadership of that category to add a variable for food banks?

The way food banks work in large US cities is To separate locations to drop off food from places where clients can pick up food.

So what EXACTLY would you be Waymarking here? Drop-off points or pick-up points?

For example, the North Texas Food Bank accepts donations at their warehouse in Cockerell Hill and 10 miles away in their public office at the Dallas Farmers Market. The NTXFB distributes food through the community via church pantries, anti-poverty and anti-hunger organizations, and through the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and other charities that operate across many counties. They also distribute food to local battered women, homeless youth, and homeless adult shelters, and donate to city summer meal programs and Meals On Wheels.

I agree with that these food banks may be redundant with Permanent Charity Drop-off locations. Have you contacted the leadership of that category to add a variable for food banks?

The way food banks work in large US cities is To separate locations to drop off food from places where clients can pick up food.

So what EXACTLY would you be Waymarking here? Drop-off points or pick-up points?

For example, the North Texas Food Bank accepts donations at their warehouse in Cockerell Hill and 10 miles away in their public office at the Dallas Farmers Market. The NTXFB distributes food through the community via church pantries, anti-poverty and anti-hunger organizations, and through the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and other charities that operate across many counties. They also distribute food to local battered women, homeless youth, and homeless adult shelters, and donate to city summer meal programs and Meals On Wheels.

I'm looking for opinions as to wether or not it's a new category worth idea.

Ideally I would be looking at either/or/and drop off and pick up.

And on a separate point, I know this might be surprising to many Americans, but the rest of the entire world might do things a bit differently.

I would likely vote yes for this category. However, aside from getting the grid icon, I don't think I would do more than that. I can't really explain it but I have a funny feeling about accidentally photographing people using the food bank.

tyzack4 "I'm looking for opinions as to wether or not it's a new category worth idea.

And on a separate point, I know this might be surprising to many Americans, but the rest of the entire world might do things a bit differently."

Being Americanadian, things are sometimes different between Canada and the US. Diffidently there are differences around the world.

The topic is about "Food Banks" "either/or/and drop off and pick up." as mentioned before food banks are accepted and approved with the "Permanent Charity Donation Locations" category.

We currently have four approved submissions for food banks in the "Permanent Charity Donation Locations" category all of which accept and distribute food to families in their community.

Newport Food Bank

House of Hope

United Church

Westside Community Food Bank

tyzack4 "I'm looking for opinions as to wether or not it's a new category worth idea.

And on a separate point, I know this might be surprising to many Americans, but the rest of the entire world might do things a bit differently."

BK-Hunters: Being Americanadian, things are sometimes different between Canada and the US. Diffidently there are differences around the world.

The topic is about "Food Banks" "either/or/and drop off and pick up." as mentioned before food banks are accepted and approved with the "Permanent Charity Donation Locations" category.

We currently have four approved submissions for food banks in the "Permanent Charity Donation Locations" category all of which accept and distribute food to families in their community.

Newport Food Bank

House of Hope

United Church

Westside Community Food Bank

Well that's the answer, then :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

It looks like the Permanent Charity Donation Locations is the closest category, but it might not fit for every food bank. The ones in my area are all pick-up only, there is no drop off zone, because the food is mostly surplus goods, collected at retailers and grocery stores after shop closing time.

Still, I am not really in favour of a dedicated category. It may fit the official criteria, but my main concern is privacy.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll go back to my corner now :mellow:

You asked us to give input, and to be gentle.

We did, and we were.

We see many cachers on these forums who discover Waymarking, then come here and immediately propose categories. These enthusiastic folks get their feelings hurt when their ideas are not immediately embraced enthusiastically because the proposals are redundant, not global, over prevalent, etc. in other words -- because they do not fit the criteria for new Waymarking categories.

Waymarking is a different game than geocaching. It has different rules, different goals, different standards.

CACHE ownership is EASY -- CATEGORY ownership is HARD.

Placing a geocache is EASY -- getting a new Waymarking category through peer review is HARD.

Unsolicited advice: Play OUR game for a while.

Look at some of the 1050 or so Waymarking categories and see which ones grab your interest. See which places in your hometown are not waymarked, and create waymarks for them in the appropriate category/categories (cross-posting is encouraged if something will fit into multiple categories). Or find already-posted waymarks as you go about caching. Log your visits on the already-approved waymarks.

See how the game is played, and pick up on the nuances of the game. It's not like caching -- there is more to Waymarking than exploring and finding -- especially if you want to create your own waymarks.

Read the forums, and see how the discussions of other new categories go -- even experienced category owners can have difficulty getting a new category idea off the ground.

Get involved: Join categories as a member, and see how category management works. Maybe seek a promotion to category officer and review waymarks once you feel comfortable with that (or don't -- it took me 4 years to want to get into category management. I was having too much fun writing waymarks.)

Waymarking appeals to many different kinds of people. Try it out and see if it appeals to you.

It is possible to have a very fulfilling Waymarking hobby and NEVER own a category :)

Placing a geocache is EASY -- getting a new Waymarking category through peer review is HARD.

I don't agree with cache ownership being easy. We actually have to ask for permission where Waymarking is unrestricted.

Waymarking is only tough because there is just a small group of us, and seems we can't agree on anything.

Truthfully, I started sharing my photos on my Flickr account because Waymarking is too much a PITA. :blink:

Remember that it is the Geocachers and their premium memberships that pay to keep the Waymarking site going and not the other way around. B)

I think that Permanent Charity Donation Locations category already has it covered. :)

But the real question is, can that category also cover feral cat feeding stations? That's also an act of charity.

Hmmmm, the crazy cat lady that has a feeding station lives just up the street from our Church, and there are 3 Charity Donation houses on site.

I have never looked over the category before, but that is a thought. Gotta fill them grids ya' know. :laughing:

Thanks for the input guys, I'll go back to my corner now :mellow:

You asked us to give input, and to be gentle.

We did, and we were.

We see many cachers on these forums who discover Waymarking, then come here and immediately propose categories. These enthusiastic folks get their feelings hurt when their ideas are not immediately embraced enthusiastically because the proposals are redundant, not global, over prevalent, etc. in other words -- because they do not fit the criteria for new Waymarking categories.

Waymarking is a different game than geocaching. It has different rules, different goals, different standards.

Unsolicited advice: Play OUR game for a while.

Look at some of the 1050 or so Waymarking categories and see which ones grab your interest. See which places in your hometown are not waymarked, and create waymarks for them in the appropriate category/categories (cross-posting is encouraged if something will fit into multiple categories). Or find already-posted waymarks as you go about caching. Log your visits on the already-approved waymarks.

See how the game is played, and pick up on the nuances of the game. It's not like caching -- there is more to Waymarking than exploring and finding -- especially if you want to create your own waymarks.

Read the forums, and see how the discussions of other new categories go -- even experienced category owners can have difficulty getting a new category idea off the ground.

Get involved: Join categories as a member, and see how category management works. Maybe seek a promotion to category officer and review waymarks once you feel comfortable with that (or don't -- it took me 4 years to want to get into category management. I was having too much fun writing waymarks.)

Waymarking appeals to many different kinds of people. Try it out and see if it appeals to you.

It is possible to have a very fulfilling Waymarking hobby and NEVER own a category :)

Thank you, I value your opinion