The New Update for the GC APP... Android Version is not supported

Since last Werk i wait for the anouncent update for the GC Android APP.

Until last week the newest Version was 4.4.1 from 07-07-2016.

But this Version has:

-no offline Maps

-no drafts / fieldnotes

-no personal notes

-and and and.

I heart from a friend with iOs that the newer versions become better. So i hoped and waited.

Last Week after the newsletter i looked every two days for the update for the Android Version.

Today i saw there is a new Version 5.1.1

BUT i cannot update.

I check all my devices (phone, tablet, businessphone) but every device show me the message:

"Your device is not compatible with this Version"

I search the Appstore , The FAQ , the GC supportforum , The APP help.

But found nothing about the needs , the needed Version or the Android Version.

I check my Android Versions

Android 4.3. Phone

Android 4.2.2. Phone / tablet

I have a acer tablet and samsung phones

(Samsung S3)

For the tablet i can update to android 4.4. But it is a lot of work because off backup data and co. Before this step i want to know if the APP works with Android 4.4. or not.

Android 4.xx is one of the most used Version of androids. Why is there no support by the GC APP ?

Or is this an Error in the APP update ??

Thanks,

greetings from germany

Wulfman_Do

Edited by Wulfman_Do

The current version of the Geocaching App supports android OS versions 4.4 and above (KitKat/19 and up).

Every so often (about 1-2 years) we increase the app's minimum supported version, when the number of people on older OS versions gets low enough, so that we can make use of features added by newer OS versions

Jelly Bean (4.1–4.3) is less than 10% of the usage, but it's still more than 9% of the usage. So one in eleven Android users won't be able to use the current app. Actually, that's more like one in ten, if you include users of earlier versions.

Just an observation...

Ok, tht's are bad news, so the complete old stuff is locked out.

It would be a great thing if in the playstore under the Appnews / updates of the GC App would be an information in this regard, certainly 10% of the GC app also certainly have the same prolem, thanks.

In this post: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=344009&view=findpost&p=5650941

Lackey Ben H post:

Thanks for your patience. Google allows us to use staged rollouts to a fraction of users so that we can make sure the release is crash-free before making it available to all Android users. Usually that process only takes a day or two, but this time we had a bump in the road. Our first rollout of 5.2 ended up creating some crashes when we released it to 10% of users. We pulled that release back, made some fixes (twice), and are now doing a staged rollout of 5.2.3.

The bad news is that it's taking longer than we expected for you to get the release. The good news is that you won't get a release that crashes.

I am confued.... google playstore shows 5.1.1

hoped that the crash problems were the probs for "Your device is not compatible with this Version"

10% is 10%,

47567164-87c3-41ca-83c6-3d2dcade457a.jpg

so the old geocaching Classic app is shutdown and know the new version is not working :( :(

now i will be locked out from geocaching and that at a premium user and no anouncement that this can happen, i think this had to be cleary called out some month ago....

Hope the Version 4.4.1 will works for some month, the functions are little, but i can use the message system and have to use other apps for caching.

Beside why is the development and updates for iOs grown so fast and the android users had to wait so long, respectively why comes iOs first.

When i look at the usage only 12% iOs and 87% androids....

Greetings Wulfman_Do

It would be a great thing if in the playstore under the Appnews / updates of the GC App would be an information in this regard, certainly 10% of the GC app also certainly have the same prolem, thanks.

You're right. Next time we bump our minimum version we'll try to be better about communicating this to users

I am confued.... google playstore shows 5.1.1

The google play store can take a while to update for all regions. I would suggest waiting a few more days for the updated version to show

Beside why is the development and updates for iOs grown so fast and the android users had to wait so long, respectively why comes iOs first.

When i look at the usage only 12% iOs and 87% androids....

Not sure what you're referring to here. Our iOS and Android apps have been developed in tandem for the last 3 years, with feature releases usually happening within a few days of each other. We're not really favoring one over the other. And android may seem to have way more usage in certain regions, but overall it's pretty evenly split with iOS

I too, a premium member, am confronted with a dead-end when I try to get Geocaching on Google Play to load to my Android tablet. No redirection to an appropriate alternative, no explanation, just a refusal to load. Is there a version which will work or must I throw away my tablet and get another? Your previous replies would be very persuasive, I'm sure, if they were understandable, but they are no help to lots of us, I think.

Alan D.

Ah, I'm not the only one who can not use the official app! I still wonder why have to change smartphone to play? Do you have a "deal" with the smartphone manufacturers?

c2ic _ french premium member with an old Samsung S3 which works very well for everything else ! :)

And, by the way, I had bought the old version!

Ah, I'm not the only one who can not use the official app! I still wonder why have to change smartphone to play? Do you have a "deal" with the smartphone manufacturers?

Unfortunately, that's just how technology works sometimes.

It the same situation as computer programs that won't run on anything below Windows 7. It also happens with Apple - I still have an old Mac just so I can play games that don't run on newer OS's. And Netflix's new movie download function doesn't work with my 'older' Samsung tablet's OS.

It's not some grand conspiracy of the app/program developers. If anything, it's the device manufacturers that don't build the functionality (if it's even technologically possible) to update the device's OS - but instead they want us to buy new devices.