Joint First To Find

So we've only recently started Geocaching, and obviously we've wanted to reach a FTF since we became Premium Members about a month ago. Both times that we headed out for the FTF, there were another group of Geocachers out for the FTF at the same location. How does it work? Whoever finds the container first gets the FTF or do the two groups of Geocachers automatically have to share the FTF because they pitched up at the same time?

And is it seen as etiquette to leave a Birthday cache's FTF for the person who's Birthday it is? Or can anyone go out to head for the FTF?

Opinions welcome...

:drama:

You will get different opinions on your questions, and it might be a matter of how folks in your area handle it.

As far as tribute and birthday caches go: Usually it is nice to let the honoree be the first on those. If it accidentally happens that they don't get there, it is not a big deal, but I would probably wait a day or until after they have found it before going for such a cache.

As far as FTF: Some folks here will tell you that there is only one possible FTF, and whoever pushes and touches it first gets to claim it. Around me, it is more friendly. By mutual agreement that we are all searching together, all of those in the first group will often claim co-FTF. After all, since one person looked over there, it lets the other person look in a different location and all work together until the cache is found. It is actually fun to show up and see who else ran out for the FTF, sort of an impromptu party, and we prefer the friendship aspect than a cutthroat approach.

There are no standard rules or etiquette. I don't purposely chase FTFs and I prefer to be friendly about it, i.e. I see no reason not to share an FTF. I also try to respect what the cache owner intends, within reason, so I don't see a need to spoil someone else's birthday FTF.

There are a few people who get very competitive and try to make up FTF rules for other people to follow, but I just don't acknowledge people like that.

Ultimately, if I decide to tell GSAK that I was FTF on a cache and count it in my own stats, there's nothing anyone else can do about it. It comes down to what feels right to you.

Around me, it is more friendly. By mutual agreement that we are all searching together, all of those in the first group will often claim co-FTF. After all, since one person looked over there, it lets the other person look in a different location and all work together until the cache is found. It is actually fun to show up and see who else ran out for the FTF, sort of an impromptu party, and we prefer the friendship aspect than a cutthroat approach.

That is the norm in my area too, and I believe is the most common worldwide.

Just my personal belief: there is no such thing as a "co-FTF". In the rare case when I'm there at the same time as another person, I just don't even bother trying to claim it.

Sure there is! :laughing:

If two people are searching simultaneously, each benefits from what they see the other do. One searches here, one there. It's a team effort. If the other person weren't there, you would have searched differently. Both get credit.

That said, I once arrived just as the FTF person was opening the cache. Naturally I did not even think of claiming co-FTF, because I contributed nothing to the search (which had already ended). Now the flip-side. Twice I was at GZ, once with the cache in my hands and once not quite. In the first case, the other person did not claim co-FTF (which was accurate, IMO), and in the second case, I (graciously :D ) invited the other person to consider himself co-FTF.

But either way, these are not life and death matters. Whenever I keep stats of any kind for myself, I'm strict about it. That way, I know that my stats are rock-solid indicators, without asterisks or qualifications.

Just my personal belief: there is no such thing as a "co-FTF". In the rare case when I'm there at the same time as another person, I just don't even bother trying to claim it.

Pretty much the same here; unless I actually find the cache first, I don't count it as an "FTF." However, I don't waste any energy projecting this requirement on others who play the FTF game differently.

Example: we've attended a number of events for which many new caches were published. Since we don't get much out of playing "follow the leader" when it comes to hunting for new geocaches, the wife and I will usually split off and do our own thing. If we find a clean log, we were FTF. Many times, we've later seen where others are claiming joint or "co-FTF" for the same cache, even if they went in a completely different direction and finally got to that particular cache a half hour later or so. To which I say, whatevs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Both times that we headed out for the FTF, there were another group of Geocachers out for the FTF at the same location. How does it work?

When you walk up, after you've confirmed that they're geocaching and introduced yourselves, you just ask. "Mind if we join you?" From my experience, I can hardly imagine any answer except "Sure!", but apparently there are other possibilities, so just proceed accordingly. If your trip will be ruined by them denying permission to hunt with them, then you probably shouldn't be hunting FTFs.

Whoever finds the container first gets the FTF or do the two groups of Geocachers automatically have to share the FTF because they pitched up at the same time?

Same deal: once someone finds it, just ask. "So are we all going to claim this FTF or just the person that actually found it?" (Naturally you don't have to ask if you don't want to claim FTF.) In this case, it's easier for me to imagine someone saying "Just the person that found it," although I've never actually gotten that answer, either. If the finder wants it all to himself, then let him. (And if you find it first, then you have to decided how to answer that question, although I suggest giving them permission to log FTF with you or not, whichever they want, regardless of whether you're one of those people that don't believe in co-FTFs.)

And is it seen as etiquette to leave a Birthday cache's FTF for the person who's Birthday it is? Or can anyone go out to head for the FTF?

I don't consider this an etiquette question, just a how to be friendly question. If a cache is put out specifically for someone to find on their birthday, I'd feel like a real scrooge if I intentionally tried to beat them to it, so that would never be my goal. On the other hand, it's common in my area for the honoree's friends to go with him and join in the find, so feel free to jump on that bandwagon. And if by some chance you accidentally look for and find someone else's birthday cache first, don't worry about it, just be light about it, perhaps even "not claiming" FTF so that it's, hypothetically, still available for the honoree.

The bottom line is that FTF is never a problem unless two parties make it a problem. As long as you're always willing to let anyone else claim whatever they want, it's impossible for it to be a negative experience. You just sometimes don't get to claim the FTF (even though you might occasionally think you "deserve" it). The value of FTF hunting is fun of the effort, successful or not. The claim of FTF you write up in the log has zero value in itself, so it is never worth the cost of fighting over it.

I want to add one last thing: I'm only explaining how to handle the negative cases because of events that have been described in the forums. I've never, ever actually seen anyone argue over an FTF claim in real life. Well, except a couple times when it was done in jest.

Pretty much the same here; unless I actually find the cache first, I don't count it as an "FTF." However, I don't waste any energy projecting this requirement on others who play the FTF game differently.

Example: we've attended a number of events for which many new caches were published. Since we don't get much out of playing "follow the leader" when it comes to hunting for new geocaches, the wife and I will usually split off and do our own thing. If we find a clean log, we were FTF. Many times, we've later seen where others are claiming joint or "co-FTF" for the same cache, even if they went in a completely different direction and finally got to that particular cache a half hour later or so. To which I say, whatevs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah...I would never tell someone they can't claim "co-FTF". I just would never use that term. Fortunately, there has only been one instance where I was looking with someone else and the find was even remotely ambiguous (I was looking in the wrong spot, the other guy asked if I had looked in a particular spot and it just happened to be right where he pointed). Every other time, I either just missed the first find by a few minutes because they had just logged it and put it back or vice versa. If I came upon someone else searching, I'd likely just keep moving and come back another time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Me too.

Ps, how many threads have there been with this exact question?

We used to go for FTFs when there was often cash/prizes for FTF, with others who were just as bad as the other 2/3rds for that side-game.

It'd be like this...

If there's two rocks side-by-side, each of us over a rock, the person whose rock has the cache underneath is FTF.

Simple... :)

"Rules" some started for "co" FTF we thought odd.

- Guess if two people see/touch it at once maybe ...

When they got so anal to suggest how finds were to be known to others when in a group, is when we steered away from that side-game.

We used to see Birthday/anniversary caches placed, and at the time folks would hold back until the named person grabbed it.

Today, with so few people even reading cache pages, good luck.

So we've only recently started Geocaching, and obviously we've wanted to reach a FTF since we became Premium Members about a month ago. Both times that we headed out for the FTF, there were another group of Geocachers out for the FTF at the same location. How does it work? Whoever finds the container first gets the FTF or do the two groups of Geocachers automatically have to share the FTF because they pitched up at the same time?

Opinions welcome...

Whoever was the first to find the cache not knowing its hiding location specifically, if the FTF. If a group of people try to be the FTF on a cache and one person finds it before everyone else that one person IS the FTF and can put [FTF] in their log. Sometimes people caching with their significant others who don't participate in the statistics claim FTF even though they were second to find. And cachers who don't have their own account and cache for somebody else, that somebody else can claim FTF. I know it sounds complicated but there is no such thing as a co-FTF with very few exceptions!

That's something that irks me... when group caching, the first to see the cache whoops and hollers "We found it! Here it is everyone!". Then 4 cachers huddle and sign.

When I cache with my group, the first to see the cache nonchalantly wanders away and sits / stands while the remainders continue to look. Only when the last of us find the cache do we all grab it and sign. Usually in the order that found it.

I don't believe in co-ftf either. The first one to locate the cache is the true first-to-find it. Everyone else is a member of group-that-found-it-next...

We used to see Birthday/anniversary caches placed, and at the time folks would hold back until the named person grabbed it.

Today, with so few people even reading cache pages, good luck.

Birthday caches are rare these days in my area, too, but when they happen, they're normally puzzle caches, presumably for exactly this reason.

That's something that irks me... when group caching, the first to see the cache whoops and hollers "We found it! Here it is everyone!". Then 4 cachers huddle and sign.

When I cache with my group, the first to see the cache nonchalantly wanders away and sits / stands while the remainders continue to look. Only when the last of us find the cache do we all grab it and sign. Usually in the order that found it.

I understand your feelings and have no problem with you preferring the huckle-buckle approach, but I have to admit, I can't see doing that myself. Whether I found it first or found it last, either way I'd feel like I just wasted all that time between when the first person found it and the last person found it.

Opinions welcome...

Whoever was the first to find the cache not knowing its hiding location specifically, if the FTF. If a group of people try to be the FTF on a cache and one person finds it before everyone else that one person IS the FTF and can put [FTF] in their log. Sometimes people caching with their significant others who don't participate in the statistics claim FTF even though they were second to find. And cachers who don't have their own account and cache for somebody else, that somebody else can claim FTF. I know it sounds complicated but there is no such thing as a co-FTF with very few exceptions!

In reality, anyone can put FTF in their log. The 2567th person to find the cache can claim FTF if they want. There are no rules, just social norms that vary widely.

For the co-ftf I just go with what the others in the group think. If it is cool and everyone is looking and happy to find it then I will post a FTF with the group. I have gone out to a FTF and the other cacher believed only the person who found it first was the FTF. That was fine as well. I would let that person have the FTF if they found it first. On that one occasion I had arrived as he was singing the log. Obviously I was not FTF on that one and wouldn't have claimed to be anyways. Then we walked together as he was telling me there could only be one FTF. I said that was cool. We got to the next GZ and I found it first.

I understand your feelings and have no problem with you preferring the huckle-buckle approach, but I have to admit, I can't see doing that myself. Whether I found it first or found it last, either way I'd feel like I just wasted all that time between when the first person found it and the last person found it.
Interesting. I prefer the huckle-buckle approach. And when the first person in the group spoils the hide, it feels a bit like I've wasted all the time I spent searching, because I didn't get to finish the search and figure out the hide on my own.

Opinions welcome...

Technically Geocaching.com doesn't recognize FTFs so as many people as they want can "claim" FTF. I personally don't see a problem with a group who found the cache first claiming a group FTF. It all depends on the people who are there, if they don't mind then fine. If they want the first person to actually see it to claim FTF themselves, then that's fine too. As said above any finder CAN claim the FTF. It's really just a thing we all say..

Interesting. I prefer the huckle-buckle approach. And when the first person in the group spoils the hide, it feels a bit like I've wasted all the time I spent searching, because I didn't get to finish the search and figure out the hide on my own.

Exactly...

Heck - why not just accompany a thourough searcher? Get to GZ and have a seat. When HE finds it, jump up and down congratulating yourself...

Even better - just sit in the car and watch. That way, no dirty boots...

Without the buckle-buckle approach, there's no incentive to search thoroughly...

Edited by WearyTraveler

I would never associate myself with anything called "huckle buckle". :anitongue:

I've done a few "teamwork" caches. One cache involved one person spinning a wheel while another looked through a hole... kind of like a zoetrope. No way for one person to do it on their own. Who gets the FTF?

That's a corner case, not the norm... but in this case, I'd suggest that one of you spotted the cache first, or figured out it was the cache first...

I want to place a cache high up under a tree limb, requiring someone to sit on shoulders (well, or bring a ladder). While it will take 2 cachers to actually retrieve the cache, only one will spot it up there first. He'd be ftf in my view.

Exactly...

Heck - why not just accompany a thourough searcher? Get to GZ and have a seat. When HE finds it, jump up and down congratulating yourself...

Without the buckle-buckle approach, there's no incentive to search thoroughly...

When I cache with a group, it's for the social aspect. I wouldn't cache with a group that used this method. It adds a competitive element that would spoil it for me. I see no problem with it as a personal preference but I find it troublesome when people try to enforce it as more correct than other methods.

When I cache with my family, we're a team. We have different strengths and we all search thoroughly to the best of our abilities, and we all claim the find on our own accounts.

Exactly...

When I cache with a group, it's for the social aspect. I wouldn't cache with a group that used this method. It adds a competitive element that would spoil it for me. I see no problem with it as a personal preference but I find it troublesome when people try to enforce it as more correct than other methods.

When I cache with my family, we're a team. We have different strengths and we all search thoroughly to the best of our abilities, and we all claim the find on our own accounts.

That is exactly what I do with my family and close group of friends. It works well for us. For some other groups it may not.

Exactly...

I wouldn't cache with a group where only one cacher gets the thrill (however minor) of "the find." It's not a competition thing, it's that moment when you see the cache peeking out from under the log.

Bring enough eyes with you and someONE will find the needle in the haystack. Then everyone can say "I found it!"

Exactly...

That is exactly what I do with my family and close group of friends. It works well for us. For some other groups it may not.

Yeah, for me the two most important things with FTF are to be on the same page as the people you associate with, and respectful of the cache owner.

Technically Geocaching.com doesn't recognize FTFs...

In fact they do...

We became premium members when the other 2/3rds became a FTF monster, because Geocaching.com advertised that Notifications was a huge benefit to those after FTFs.

We were even given a geocoin from them when we posted our reason for becoming PM in a marketing campaign. :)

FTF is in their Glossary too.

What they don't do, is tell one how to go about, or issue guidelines on a side-game.

In fact they do...

We became premium members when the other 2/3rds became a FTF monster, because Geocaching.com advertised that Notifications was a huge benefit to those after FTFs.

We were even given a geocoin from them when we posted our reason for becoming PM in a marketing campaign. :)

What they don't do, is tell one how to go about, or issue guidelines on a side-game.

Yep...

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2014/11/tools-for-the-first-to-find-hound-getting-ready-for-the-ftf-race/

I've got a tricky, but true story for those who don't believe in "co-FTFs" :D

I arrive at GZ and there is already another Geocacher looking for the cache. We find out that we're both Geocachers and look at different places. Then he finds a container.

Here you might say that it's "his" FTF, but the story goes on.

The logbook isn't empty. It's actually several months old and filled with logs much older than the publish date. Then I realise that there is a cache of the same owner 200m away, which just had it's coordinates moved back from the place with the full logbook to it's original place. We go to those new old coordinates and find the empty logbook.

He found the container/hiding place, I found the empty logbook. Who's FTF is it now? ;)

PS :

We made it a "co-FTF", just like I would in Amy case.

I guess it depends on whether you see yourself operating as a member of a team, as I do, or an individual searching independently.

Doing my part as a member of the team is my incentive to search thoroughly. I'm kinda shocked that I have to explain that.

In fact they do...

Yep...

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2014/11/tools-for-the-first-to-find-hound-getting-ready-for-the-ftf-race/

But is is not a statistic that geocaching.com tracks

I would never associate myself with anything called "huckle buckle". :anitongue:

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

In fact they do...

Yep...

Due to issues seen in many threads, I believe most realize why.

- But you stated they don't recognize FTF, a statement factually not true. :)

When I cache with a group, it's for the social aspect. I wouldn't cache with a group that used this method. It adds a competitive element that would spoil it for me.
It doesn't have to be competitive if you don't want it to be.

Some people like to talk about movies before they see them, even if those discussions reveal key plot points. Other people like to view movies without learning key plot points (or even minor plot points) in advance.

Not spoiling a movie for someone isn't about any competition. It's about letting them experience the movie the way they want to experience it, and not doing something that's going to screw that up for them.

The same goes for not spoiling geocache hides when you're caching with someone who enjoys the experience of spotting the hide.

I would..

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC640VX_huckle-buckle-beanstalk?guid=e528220a-af0a-449f-9caf-154139ce0911

In fact they do...

Yep...

Due to issues seen in many threads, I believe most realize why.

- But you stated they don't recognize FTF, a statement factually not true. :)

By "recognize" I meant "recognize as a statistic." I guess I should have been more clear...

When I cache with a group, it's for the social aspect. I wouldn't cache with a group that used this method. It adds a competitive element that would spoil it for me.

Some people like to talk about movies before they see them, even if those discussions reveal key plot points. Other people like to view movies without learning key plot points (or even minor plot points) in advance.

Not spoiling a movie for someone isn't about any competition. It's about letting them experience the movie the way they want to experience it, and not doing something that's going to screw that up for them.

The same goes for not spoiling geocache hides when you're caching with someone who enjoys the experience of spotting the hide.

It's a valid method, it's just not a method I would personally enjoy and I wouldn't join a group that subscribed to this philosophy. The idea of making someone stand there because they're the last person to spot the cache just doesn't seem like my idea of fun. But if it's fun for the people who choose to do it, great.

My main concern is when this method, or any method, is inflicted on others as being "correct" compared to others. There's plenty of room for everyone to adjust these things to their own tastes.

I've done both types of group finds.

To me, if I'm with a group of more than 3 people, it can get very tedious to have to wait for everyone to find the cache on their own. I did one once where it took everyone over 30 minutes to find the cache. This really killed the enjoyment of the the find.

The idea of making someone stand there because they're the last person to spot the cache just doesn't seem like my idea of fun.
Actually, the ones still searching are usually not standing around. The ones standing around are the ones who have already spotted it, who are egging on the ones still searching.

To me, if I'm with a group of more than 3 people, it can get very tedious to have to wait for everyone to find the cache on their own. I did one once where it took everyone over 30 minutes to find the cache. This really killed the enjoyment of the the find.
In the groups I've geocached with, I would expect everyone to have found the cache or given up well before 30 minutes is up. Once the majority has spotted it, the verbal banter really picks up, culminating in hints that become less and less subtle.

And if the last person to spot it is the "experienced geocacher" who is teaching everyone else, and then that last person actually trips over the regular size container that is sitting in the open, then... well, let's just say everyone would probably have a very hearty laugh, no matter how long it took the straggler to stumble upon it.

Yeppers!

The idea of making someone stand there because they're the last person to spot the cache just doesn't seem like my idea of fun.
Actually, the ones still searching are usually not standing around. The ones standing around are the ones who have already spotted it, who are egging on the ones still searching.

In the groups I've geocached with, I would expect everyone to have found the cache or given up well before 30 minutes is up. Once the majority has spotted it, the verbal banter really picks up, culminating in hints that become less and less subtle.

And if the last person to spot it is the "experienced geocacher" who is teaching everyone else, and then that last person actually trips over the regular size container that is sitting in the open, then... well, let's just say everyone would probably have a very hearty laugh, no matter how long it took the straggler to stumble upon it.

You're correct Darin - in both responses.

Case in point was a recent d4 in KY. I was the last of 3 to find it after stumbling around UNDER it for 29 minutes. The novices (only 500 and 800 finds) really heckled me until I found it. The FMTT moment was worth the banter and hazing. That feeling would not have happened had John screamed "there it is!" And pointed.

One group I play with does the huckle buckle style (my parents). The other group (my local friends) does the 'I found it' style. I understand both styles, but truly, I prefer the found it style.

With huckle buckle, I'm either the one who is last to find it, and feel that I am wasting everyone else's time and it devolves to a game of hot/cold; or I have found it early on, and I feel bad for the rest who are still stumbling around and soon to be subjected to hot/cold. Somebody always has to be last in that scenario, and I don't enjoy the way it plays out.

With 'I found it', inevitably different people will find different ones, and it seems to just be more fun to me.

One group I play with does the huckle buckle style (my parents). The other group (my local friends) does the 'I found it' style. I understand both styles, but truly, I prefer the found it style.

With huckle buckle, I'm either the one who is last to find it, and feel that I am wasting everyone else's time and it devolves to a game of hot/cold; or I have found it early on, and I feel bad for the rest who are still stumbling around and soon to be subjected to hot/cold. Somebody always has to be last in that scenario, and I don't enjoy the way it plays out.

With 'I found it', inevitably different people will find different ones, and it seems to just be more fun to me.

Yeah, this is how I would feel. In practice I have yet to run across someone who wants to cache this way. If I did, I would just bid them good luck and find someone else to cache with. For as long as I have cached, I have known group caching to be a group effort.

I solve a lot of the angst of being "co-FTF" by never using the three initials when I happen be first to sign a new log in a new container. It's never seemed noteworthy - just a matter of time, circumstances and geography. If people are interested they can figure it out. And at the same time, people can claim what they want.

I have had people state that they shared a FTF after I made the actual find, and that has never bothered me. If we were working together, then we found it together and I am not going to draw distinctions about who touched it first. I admit that I raised my eyebrows when someone claimed the initials a day after I signed the blank log. Still, that's as far as I went. Its not a sacred rite.

For the same reason, when caching with a group we have always used the "I found it" approach as soon as the cache is spotted. The one exception was when we wanted to make sure that a young child made the find. The search is the least interesting part of the game so I would not want to still be looking while others waited. I just don't see the point. Since others might want to do things differently, it's good to set the ground rules when caching with a new group.