Suggesting a souvenir: Solar eclipse 2017

It would be great to see a souvenir for any geocache found within the path of solar eclipse totality on August 21st.

I'm planning on a trip down to Oregon on August 21 to see it and will be grabbing some caches along the way. Just thought it would be a great idea for a souvenir. I don't know if there is a way to suggest it the Groundspeak, other than posting here.

Here's some info on the eclipse:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/nasa_eclipse_map.jpg

It would be great to see a souvenir for any geocache found within the path of solar eclipse totality on August 21st.

I'm planning on a trip down to Oregon on August 21 to see it and will be grabbing some caches along the way. Just thought it would be a great idea for a souvenir. I don't know if there is a way to suggest it the Groundspeak, other than posting here.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are already planning it :) We'll either be in Central Idaho where there is a rare triple crossing of historic totality paths, or Eastern Oregon for a double crossing along I84. Probably wait to see what the weather forecast is (as well as fire forecast as SF mentioned).

Link for reference:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/history-along-track

Edited by Touchstone

I wouldn't be surprised if they are already planning it :) We'll either be in Central Idaho where there is a rare triple crossing of historic totality paths, or Eastern Oregon for a double crossing along I84. Probably wait to see what the weather forecast is (as well as fire forecast as SF mentioned).

Link for reference:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/history-along-track

Is this thing past or future? And could it or will it be seen from Wyoming? (I know it's an eclipse, but will it be a "good one")

I would rather have the eclipse as a souvenir. Not planning a trip to Canada any time in the future.

Personally, if GS is going to create souvenirs for a specific date or event I would prefer that the date/event was related to geocaching. The recent "blue switch" souvenir was in recognition of when the switch was thrown to turn off selective availability and what made geocaching possible. A souvenir for finding a cache on the vernal equinox or a solar eclipse doesn't recognize anything related to geocaching.

That said, I know that there is an event planned in Kentucky for the solar eclipse. I'm all for getting geocachers for an event, but not so much people attending an event just so they can get some digital artwork.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather see the Canada 150 souvenir. Or they could do both...

Something tells me that's where in the world Signal is going next. (That something was this week's email newsletter, which dropped some pretty obvious hints like "longest coastline.")

I agree with you. But with the timeline of the last Signal visit, and assuming this one's timing will be similar (keyword assumption) I don't think it will be July

I'd rather see the Canada 150 souvenir. Or they could do both...

Something tells me that's where in the world Signal is going next. (That something was this week's email newsletter, which dropped some pretty obvious hints like "longest coastline.")

I wouldn't be surprised if they were already planning on it

I think you're onto something there! Perhaps there IS a souvenir planned for August 21st already.

I was going to watch it in Kentucky, but changed my plans to Oregon. I was going to watch it from I-5, but I might have to look at a further east viewing just in case. Either way I have to be back to Portland Airport by 1:00 PM so I am on a tight schedule!

Madras looks promising, but what will traffic on the 26 be like that day? I just hope the Willamette Valley will be clear.

Edited by elrojo14
18 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Sorry, but I disagree.  I think they should only create souvenirs for things that are actually related to geocaching.  

You mean like "Hello 2016", "12-12-12", "Leap day 2012"? (There are probably a bunch of others but I also don't consider them "souvenirs" as in "worth remembering").

BTW, the Solar eclips is a regional event not worldwide.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, on4bam said:
6 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Sorry, but I disagree.  I think they should only create souvenirs for things that are actually related to geocaching.  

You mean like "Hello 2016", "12-12-12", "Leap day 2012"? (There are probably a bunch of others but I also don't consider them "souvenirs" as in "worth remembering").

BTW, the Solar eclips is a regional event not worldwide.

There were a few others as well that were unrelated to geocaching.  The fact that the solar eclipse is regional is another reason why I don't think one should be created for the event though pretty much all of the event based souvenirs are regional events.  There are some "special" souvenirs that are regional as well.

1 hour ago, Team Rascal said:

GC, you "have" to do a souvenir for the total eclipse path and perhaps another one for anyone who finds a cache on Monday. You did leap day which is way more often than a solar eclipse :) i'll be sad if you don't do the souvenir for the totality path.

I think even without a souvenir, it'll be amazing to see and experience. 

I'm driving down to Kentucky to see total, and also grabbing some caches on the way! I think with the amount of people that will be traveling and caching just for this event could possibly warrant a souvenir. I won't be upset if we don't have one, but it would be cute I think.

On 8/20/2017 at 9:50 PM, barefootjeff said:

A solar eclipse is visible somewhere on the planet about every eighteen months or so. Should there be a souvenir for all of them or is the USA special?

I think it would be neat for all of them. Maybe have a specific souvenir that is a generic solar eclipse to be used for all of them. That would take a lot of work on their part though if they were going for specific locations.

On 8/20/2017 at 7:41 AM, Team Rascal said:

GC, you "have" to do a souvenir for the total eclipse path and perhaps another one for anyone who finds a cache on Monday. You did leap day which is way more often than a solar eclipse :) i'll be sad if you don't do the souvenir for the totality path.

As barefootjeff has already mentioned, Total solar eclipses are not rare.  They happen more frequently than Leap Days.  The next 5 Total eclipses are July-2019, Dec-2020, Dec-2021, April-2023, and April-2024.  The one in 2024 will be passing through Mexico, Texas, and arching up to the New England area. Within that time period there will also be 4 Annular solar eclipses.  It's not that rare.  Australia will be busy with 4 Total solar eclipses between 2028 and 2038:  July-2028, Nov-2030, July-2037, Dec-2038.

There was so much news about last week's eclipse within the US because the path of totality crossed a large swath of the country, but the eclipse wouldn't be very newsworthy in other countries.

I don't think we need geocaching souvenirs for solar eclipses.  I wouldn't be opposed to them, but I certainly wouldn't be bothered if there weren't any either.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, noncentric said:

As barefootjeff has already mentioned, Total solar eclipses are not rare.  They happen more frequently than Leap Days.  The next 5 Total eclipses are July-2019, Dec-2020, Dec-2021, April-2023, and April-2024.  The one in 2024 will be passing through Mexico, Texas, and arching up to the New England area. Within that time period there will also be 4 Annular solar eclipses.  It's not that rare.  Australia will be busy with 4 Total solar eclipses between 2028 and 2038:  July-2028, Nov-2030, July-2037, Dec-2038.

There was so much news about last week's eclipse within the US because the path of totality crossed a large swath of the country, but the eclipse wouldn't be very newsworthy in other countries.

I don't think we need geocaching souvenirs for solar eclipses.  I wouldn't be opposed to them, but I certainly wouldn't be bothered if there weren't any either.

Thank you for posting all the upcoming solar eclipses. :)

12 hours ago, noncentric said:

I wish the news media were as clear on the frequency of total eclipses.  Sometimes it seemed they were expecting something rarer than a mermaid riding a tap-dancing unicorn, instead of something that happens every 12-24 months.

But, that being said... I live exactly 1 mile off the exact path of totality for 2024's eclipse and I am an acquaintance of someone whose front porch is directly along the path of totality.  (Really, like 0' away.)

Woohoo!  (But I agree - no need for a souvenir.  Put down the GPSr and go watch the eclipse!)

Hopefully the crowds will stick to Buffalo and Rochester and Batavia, although I could probably make a little cash renting out the back yard as an eclipse viewing site... if the snow melts by then.

13 hours ago, noncentric said:

And then, of course, there are total Lunar eclipses.  Maybe not as spectacular as total solar eclipses as the "lights don't go out" as much and they occur at inconvenient times but great viewing all the same.

All about lunar eclipses

3 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

I wish the news media were as clear on the frequency of total eclipses.  Sometimes it seemed they were expecting something rarer than a mermaid riding a tap-dancing unicorn, instead of something that happens every 12-24 months.

But, that being said... I live exactly 1 mile off the exact path of totality for 2024's eclipse and I am an acquaintance of someone whose front porch is directly along the path of totality.  (Really, like 0' away.)

Woohoo!  (But I agree - no need for a souvenir.  Put down the GPSr and go watch the eclipse!)

Hopefully the crowds will stick to Buffalo and Rochester and Batavia, although I could probably make a little cash renting out the back yard as an eclipse viewing site... if the snow melts by then.

The media's job is to hype things up and get folks excited. People around Washington set out Thursday to get prime spots to see it in Oregon and the media was reporting that gas stations were running out of gas, and stores were running out of food. The media has a way to make people think that things are happening when in reality, it's not that big of deal. 

3 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:

The media's job is to hype things up and get folks excited. People around Washington set out Thursday to get prime spots to see it in Oregon and the media was reporting that gas stations were running out of gas, and stores were running out of food. The media has a way to make people think that things are happening when in reality, it's not that big of deal. 

Yeah. Some of our friends headed down to Oregon on Sunday and didn't have any troubles with traffic, although coming back to WA on Monday night took them twice as long as it normally would. Other friends went to Idaho on Saturday. Same story. Other than the return traffic, they saw no issues.

2 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:
7 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

How did you determine that?

Accuracy to 0' might be hard to predict but there are a few places out there that show what the path will be.   I live about an hour and a half away from the path that I've seen on a couple of maps.  I know that a lot of people reported different experiences from the path of totality and those that watched it from a few hundred miles away but I suspect that the width of the path of totality will be enough that there won't be a negligible difference between 0' and 10 miles.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:52 PM, Chrysalides said:

Try this NASA page. It's not behaving properly for me right now, but it might be because of my office firewall.

The NASA page is also not working for me, but could also be due to firewall issues.

The site I used was by Xavier Jubier - it uses Google maps and, as you click on the map, it pops up info, including how far from the predicted path of totality that point is.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, SwineFlew said:

Just stay out of the Willamette Valley. The valley is known to fill up with smoke from forest fire that time of the year.

Wrong it was clear and awesome.  Did however make sure to find a cache a  few days before for the souvenir

On 8/28/2017 at 11:17 AM, captnemo said:

Wrong it was clear and awesome.  Did however make sure to find a cache a  few days before for the souvenir

Sure it was... but this past Monday was one of the worse I ever saw. What I was saying... often its smokey and I wouldnt roll my dices. 

No, I didnt find any caches.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:49 PM, cerberus1 said:

Yet missed International Geocaching Day ?   My other 2/3rds would freak if we missed IGD.    :D

haha, souvenirs, who needs them. seeing the eclipse was amazing for sure. the darkest spot in the sky was actually where the sun was. we ended up in the woods in the middle of nowhere in SC and while there was increasing could cover we got very lucky and had a completely unobstructed view. 

9 hours ago, Team Rascal said:

haha, souvenirs, who needs them.

I didn't find a cache on the day of the eclipse but I bought a couple of souvenir pins while at the Baseball Little League World Series.  I didn't *need* them but they served as a token of remembrance (the definition of a souvenir) for a very nice day.   If you think of souvenirs as a digital equivalent of a "real life" souvenir (a token of remembrance) then nobody actually needs them, but are something one can collect for doing something worth remembering.  Personally I don't care for souvenirs for dates that are unrelated to geocaching but I like looking at the souvenirs for all the countries in which I have geocached, or events I have attended, or geocaching significant places (Groundspeak HQ). 

14 hours ago, Team Rascal said:

haha, souvenirs, who needs them.

Aren't you the same person who said...

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, Team Rascal said:

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, Team Rascal said:

i'll be VERY upset, it's such a big day

:laughing: