Any reason not to mark my own TB as missing?

doktorfunk

In theory, the cache owner should be the one to go look at the cache and authoritatively confirm that the TB is not there by marking it missing, but since CO's rarely do that, it makes sense for the TB owner to step in when it seems obvious that it's not where the system thinks it is. I'd drag my feet for a couple months just in case the CO does decide to go look, but that's just me.

But I can't help but point out that it doesn't really make any difference to you if it stays logged in where it was last seen. After all, that maximizes the chances of the person that took it being able to log the grab correctly if they ever come to their senses. (Not that ever happens...) So looking at it that way, there's no reason to mark it missing since the only one it's affecting is the CO: it's his cache listing that isn't accurate. So it's not particularly wrong to wait indefinitely for him to take care of it.

So, yes, go ahead and mark it missing if you consider that more accurate, but don't feel like it's your responsibility to save the CO (or people seeking the CO's cache) from the TB being listed there when it isn't.

We used to find other's trackables in our ammo can caches after a few people claimed them missing.

Most times they were in with swag, at the bottom of other stuff, and a couple times, "stuck" to the lid.

They simply didn't see it.

- So just because someone adds a "not seen in cache" log, it doesn't necessarily make it true. :)

If you feel by logs it's missing, sure, you can mark it as such.

It becomes "unmissing" if someone finds and logs it, which makes it active again.

So, yes, go ahead and mark it missing if you consider that more accurate, but don't feel like it's your responsibility to save the CO (or people seeking the CO's cache) from the TB being listed there when it isn't.

Thanks (everyone else too) for the information. I guess I feel I should mark it missing because I find it disappointing when I expect to find a TB in a cache but it isn't there.

So just because someone adds a "not seen in cache" log, it doesn't necessarily make it true.

Yup. I usually try to say that I didn't see it in the cache, if I'm the first one to leave a note.

If I'm the third, or fifth, or whatever, that's when I tend to suggest that it might be time for the owner to mark it missing.

So just because someone adds a "not seen in cache" log, it doesn't necessarily make it true.

Yup. I usually try to say that I didn't see it in the cache, if I'm the first one to leave a note.

If I'm the third, or fifth, or whatever, that's when I tend to suggest that it might be time for the owner to mark it missing.

I'm kinda the opposite, while being pretty much the same. If there's already been a note saying it's not there, I rarely add another one. On the other hand, when I do note that the TB isn't there, I'm careful to be as precise as I can be about my confidence. So if it's an ammo can, I'll be clear about whether I went through everything or not. I'll also mention whether I realized the TB was there and specifically looked for it or I only realized it was there when I got home to log the find, and I'm only reporting that I didn't notice it. Of course, in an ammo can full of stuff like cerberus1 described, if I didn't explicitly look for it, I typically won't even mentioning that I didn't notice it. In smaller caches, I'm more likely to able to say definitely that it's not there, although I always consider the CO to be the only one that can say for sure. After all, for all I know, I'm looking in an old discarded container from some archived cache instead of the real cache with the TB in it that was hiding nearby.

Well then!  Within a month after I marked it missing, someone posted an apologetic log for having held it for a couple of years without logging it, and dropped it into a cache at its first destination.  (I even had my parents visit the cache to double-check.)  And it's on the move again.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:45 AM, doktorfunk said:

Well then!  Within a month after I marked it missing, someone posted an apologetic log for having held it for a couple of years without logging it, and dropped it into a cache at its first destination.  (I even had my parents visit the cache to double-check.)  And it's on the move again.

Wow! That's a happy ending.