Finding an Archived Cache After 9 Years

BornAdventures

Hello everyone,

We've been Geocaching on and off for the past 10 years or so, we used to have the account TeamTGF. Many years back there was a geocache called Castle Gorge Link in the Magaliesburg. We had it on our list of caches to find, but with two DNF's, the owner, Adventure King, archived it.

This long weekend, we thought it would be nice to go on a hike in a new area and also to take a look for the cache on the off chance it is still there. What an amazing place! I can't believe the cache wasn't one of the most popular at the time as it really could be the most beautiful place I have ever seen in South Africa.

After nine years without a find, the cache was still safe in it's hidey-hole. We have become quite frustrated with Geocaching in the past few years as most finds we've searched for have been quite pointless, so was amazing to find a large cache again in a beautiful area.

Does anyone have the current contact details for Danie (Adventure King)? Of not, how does one go about resurrecting and adopting an archived Geocache?

Good to see some of the old names still active on these forums!

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel

I don't have Adventure King's contact details, but the adoption requires a working email address to Adventure King, which he then approves. What you do is go to link:

https://www.geocaching.com/adopt/ and then enter the GC code of the cache you want to adopt. This will send a message to Adventure King to accept the request. If his email address is correct and valid on geocaching.com, he will receive the request. If not, then I'm afraid the other option is to place a new cache in the location. Good luck!

Best regards

Silvia

Hello everyone,

We've been Geocaching on and off for the past 10 years or so, we used to have the account TeamTGF. Many years back there was a geocache called Castle Gorge Link in the Magaliesburg. We had it on our list of caches to find, but with two DNF's, the owner, Adventure King, archived it.

This long weekend, we thought it would be nice to go on a hike in a new area and also to take a look for the cache on the off chance it is still there. What an amazing place! I can't believe the cache wasn't one of the most popular at the time as it really could be the most beautiful place I have ever seen in South Africa.

After nine years without a find, the cache was still safe in it's hidey-hole. We have become quite frustrated with Geocaching in the past few years as most finds we've searched for have been quite pointless, so was amazing to find a large cache again in a beautiful area.

Does anyone have the current contact details for Danie (Adventure King)? Of not, how does one go about resurrecting and adopting an archived Geocache?

Good to see some of the old names still active on these forums!

Kind Regards,

Daniel

I remember that listing and unfortunately also never had the opportunity to find it.

You've followed the right approach re the cache. Not sure whether there is a limitation in the unarchive facility (one of the reviewers will have to chime in) but as the cacher is inactive sounds like a new placement is in order.

Look forward to seeing a listing regardless.