New Feature - download lists to Garmin GPS

rangercarol

This new feature sounds very useful to me but I can't get it to work. I have the newest version of Garmin Express and go through the process, as described, to send the list to the GPS. I can see the list as a one bulk GPS file in Windows Explorer but the icons don't appear on the GPS map nor as GPS favorites.

Coincidentally, Firefox no longer allows you to use Garmin Communicator to send cache descriptions directly to your GPS. There is a work-abound whereby you can download individual GPX files and then move them to the GPS using Windows Explorer but this new feature sounds like it is much more efficient.

I can see the list as a one bulk GPS file in Windows Explorer but the icons don't appear on the GPS map nor as GPS favorites.

Did you find the file in Garmin/GPX on your GPSr? On mine, my "Fay 2017" List looks like "Fay2017 - BM3TPGT.GPX", so I expect the file is in that general format when a List is loaded. That name format looks different from a PQ's name, or from a single cache page GPX.

When caches don't show up, some people have luck by deleting everything from the Garmin/GPX folder (back it up first), then restarting the GPSr twice, then loading the new files. After that it seems to work fine. It's just an "indexing" thing, a technical issue.

Also, remember that with at least the most recent Garmin GPSrs, caches beyond a certain distance from one's current position will not automatically show up. 60 miles, I think.

[...] There is a work-abound whereby you can download individual GPX files and then move them to the GPS using Windows Explorer but this new feature sounds like it is much more efficient.

Yes. Loading it to your PC and then copy it over to the GPSr is not efficent at all. Just download it directly to the appropriate Garmin folder on your unit.

Hans

Here's a thought. Make the "Send to GPS" on the web page work!! If an agreement has been reached with Garmin to allow a download from a list why not go way way back to the good old days when one could simply add a geocache from the geocache page? Is this progress?

I can see the list as a one bulk GPS file in Windows Explorer but the icons don't appear on the GPS map nor as GPS favorites.

Did you find the file in Garmin/GPX on your GPSr? On mine, my "Fay 2017" List looks like "Fay2017 - BM3TPGT.GPX", so I expect the file is in that general format when a List is loaded. That name format looks different from a PQ's name, or from a single cache page GPX.

When caches don't show up, some people have luck by deleting everything from the Garmin/GPX folder (back it up first), then restarting the GPSr twice, then loading the new files. After that it seems to work fine. It's just an "indexing" thing, a technical issue.

Also, remember that with at least the most recent Garmin GPSrs, caches beyond a certain distance from one's current position will not automatically show up. 60 miles, I think.

I'll be darned. I tried what you suggested and it worked! Now I will copy your note so I can remember it for next time. On my GPS, removing the GPX files using Internet Explorer does not remove the favorite list and icons from the GPS. Never the less, I will hold onto the backed up files.

Thanks for your help.

I'll be darned. I tried what you suggested and it worked! Now I will copy your note so I can remember it for next time. On my GPS, removing the GPX files using Internet Explorer does not remove the favorite list and icons from the GPS. Never the less, I will hold onto the backed up files.

Thanks for your help.

Excellent! I'm glad it worked. :D

I like this new feature. But it is not possible to upload a shared list!!! I try to upload https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=121568de-49df-49c7-bdec-e9493b34ae8b but it isnt mine so it dont work. :sad:

Use the list to create a Pocket Query which you can then download and send to your GPS.

Ok. I created a Pocket Query. But how do I download all 100 caches? I can check 20 per page and download is as loc file. Can't find the option to send all caches direct to the garmin.

Ok. I created a Pocket Query. But how do I download all 100 caches? I can check 20 per page and download is as loc file. Can't find the option to send all caches direct to the garmin.

You'll need to download the Pocket Query, which will give you all 100 caches. The new 'Send to Garmin' feature won't be helpful for the shared list.

Have you downloaded PQ results before? If not, then let us know what type of GPSr you have and someone can probably give you instructions.

Apologies if I've got the wrong idea here (I'm VERY new to geocaching and working with GPS receivers, but I wonder if the following would help.
It suggests that one way to install a custom GC list is actually to install it as a custom POI (point of interest). You can download the free POI Loader from Garmin.com. All of the instructions are shown here:
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-use-gpx-files-on-a-garmin-gps
You download POI Loader here:
https://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader
I have just done all of this list and it works. On my GarmainGPSMAP 64s, the Custom POI is under Find/Extras, of course.

On 3/29/2018 at 0:11 AM, GabrielOak said:

Apologies if I've got the wrong idea here (I'm VERY new to geocaching and working with GPS receivers, but I wonder if the following would help.
It suggests that one way to install a custom GC list is actually to install it as a custom POI (point of interest). You can download the free POI Loader from Garmin.com. All of the instructions are shown here:
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-use-gpx-files-on-a-garmin-gps
You download POI Loader here:
https://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader
I have just done all of this list and it works. On my GarmainGPSMAP 64s, the Custom POI is under Find/Extras, of course.

On a 64s, there's no need to convert geocaches and associated waypoints to POIs. This was needed with the older gpsMap 60(csx) models which pre-date the GPX standard if you wanted to include the description with the geocache. Those older units also had a small limit to the number of waypoints you could install compared with the modern GPS units introduced since 2008. POIs are more difficult to manage than geocaches and waypoints using GPX files.

POIs should be reserved for a large number of waypoints that you wish to permanently store on your GPS.