No "Big Blue Switch" souvenir

barefootjeff

I found a cache (GC7D6E) first thing on this morning of the 2nd of May, which I logged through the official app, and the date on my log is 02/05/2017, but there's no souvenir. Does this no longer work for eastern hemisphere timezones?

Edited by barefootjeff

I know it's fashionable these days in the forums to wantonly cache aspersions on the Groundspeak devs, and I hate to spoil your fun with that, but the issue has absolutely nothing to do with time zones. It was simple human error related to pulling the switch on the souvenir. The team is working to sort that out and the souvenir should be available shortly. Our most sincere apologies for the error and any inconveniences it has caused.

I know it's fashionable these days in the forums to wantonly cache aspersions on the Groundspeak devs, and I hate to spoil your fun with that, but the issue has absolutely nothing to do with time zones. It was simple human error related to pulling the switch on the souvenir. The team is working to sort that out that the souvenir should be available shortly. Our most sincere apologies for the error and any inconveniences it has caused.

Thanks Moun10Bike.

It gives me no joy to report problems, but having it firstly not work and then be told by a lackey shortly after 0000UTC that it was now active, only to find that it still hadn't worked for my log earlier today, well it wasn't that much of a leap to suspect it was a time zone issue. There's been a lot of software released over the years that can't cope with eastern hemisphere time zones or southern hemisphere daylight saving.

I cannot see any of my souvenirs. This is my first on the new app but it isn't even showing the big blue switch. Am I doing something wrong? What do I do to see my souvenirs?

Go to your Souvenirs page on the website, either via a computer or your phone's web browser: https://www.geocaching.com/my/souvenirs.aspx I see that you have the Big Blue Switch souvenir.

Here is the Help Center article: 1.1 Souvenirs

I found a cache (GC7D6E) first thing on this morning of the 2nd of May, which I logged through the official app, and the date on my log is 02/05/2017, but there's no souvenir. Does this no longer work for eastern hemisphere timezones?

Did you mean 05/02/2017? if not you're posting a find for February 5th not May 2nd so you won't get the souvenir. If you specifically logged the find for May 2nd it should show up on your profile under the "souvenirs" tab.

Did you mean 05/02/2017? if not you're posting a find for February 5th not May 2nd so you won't get the souvenir. If you specifically logged the find for May 2nd it should show up on your profile under the "souvenirs" tab.

It's logged on the correct date. You can see at https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC7D6E_traffic-control-no-3 . Just how different parts of the world represent dates. The souvenir was displaying for Jeff as of about 48 hours ago.

I'm not American. Most places outside the USA write dates as day/month/year and that's how they're displayed with my regional settings.

I'm not American. Most places outside the USA write dates as day/month/year and that's how they're displayed with my regional settings.
And that confusion is why I use the ISO date format 2017-05-02. ;)

Found the cache GLQWA89K yesterday and logged it via computer. But didn't get the BIG SWITCH souvenir. Can I get help with that?

GLQWA89K is not a geocache.

GC6HZB8 Sein brand meester

https://coord.info/GC6HZB8

SvHiTij

Found it

05/02/2017

Contact Groundspeak about the missing souvenir:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I'm trying this again: I found a cache on May 2nd 2017 but I did'nt get the Big blue Switch souvenir. How is that possible?

It appears that you initially logged your find for May 3rd, then edited the log to the 2nd. The souvenir service only fires on the initial log. I have added the souvenir to your account.

I'm trying this again: I found a cache on May 2nd 2017 but I did'nt get the Big blue Switch souvenir. How is that possible?

It appears that you initially logged your find for May 3rd, then edited the log to the 2nd. The souvenir service only fires on the initial log. I have added the souvenir to your account.

Thanks, Moun10Bike

Out of curiosity...if one had deleted the May 3rd "found it" log, instead of editing it, and logged a new "found it" for May 2nd, would the souvenir been awarded?

B.

The souvenir service only fires on the initial log.

Do you happen to know when that changed? I know that's how it worked when souvenirs were originally introduced, but later the site was modified to award souvenirs on edited logs. It's been my understanding that this was how it was working for the last few years.

Do you happen to know when that changed? I know that's how it worked when souvenirs were originally introduced, but later the site was modified to award souvenirs on edited logs. It's been my understanding that this was how it was working for the last few years.

That had been my understanding as well, but when I checked with the devs yesterday, they indicated that they didn't believe the service tracked edited logs anymore. However, based on your post, I just tested it myself and discovered that that's erroneous information. The souvenir service does monitor edited logs. Sorry for passing along bad info.

That had been my understanding as well, but when I checked with the devs yesterday, they indicated that they didn't believe the service tracked edited logs anymore. However, based on your post, I just tested it myself and discovered that that's erroneous information. The souvenir service does monitor edited logs. Sorry for passing along bad info.

Great, thanks for looking into it and confirming how it works.

Thanks,

I checked 3 times and was unable to see it. I then refreshed the page it it appeared

Cheers

Griffo

This seems to confirm what I already mentioned in another discussion: recently a delay has been introduced between the awarding of a souvenir and it showing up on the souvenir tab.