Can't download geocaches

Please help!

I used to just click on a little button on the cache page to download it to my Garmin eTrex. No bother. Now it won't work at all. I've tried using the new premium member feature which allows you to download a list at a click of a button: and yes, that does work: but it is very truncated, on my Garmin I only see the Geocache GC code ( not it's name, which can often help to find it), the CO, date, NO HINT, and no previous logs.

Any advice please would be welcome!

I use an eTrex 30 and iMac desktop

thanks

Peedieduchess

Same problem. I can't do anything in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or Explorer/Edge. Is there a browser I don't know about that supports this? I followed the prompt to go use Explorer and added it to safe sites as suggested...then got the message that it isn't supported there either.

I don't understand the excitement around the new download feature when I can't do anything with it, especially what I used to be able to. It makes me think that my Garmin is useless. I must be missing something?

Edited by GC-Files
I've tried using the new premium member feature which allows you to download a list at a click of a button: and yes, that does work: but it is very truncated, on my Garmin I only see the Geocache GC code ( not it's name, which can often help to find it), the CO, date, NO HINT, and no previous logs.

If you download "LOC" files, a Garmin treats all files as LOC files. So you can try deleting everything from the "Garmin/GPX" folder of the Etrex (back it all up first). Then empty the "Trash", since a Mac doesn't actually "delete" the files until you empty the Trash. Then power the Etrex off/on a couple of times. Then try loading the new Lists. Good luck!

I followed the prompt to go use Explorer and added it to safe sites as suggested...then got the message that it isn't supported there either.

It seems like you're trying to run Garmin Communicator, and that won't work. Many people can still use it, but if "Send To GPS" has stopped working for you, you must try new things.

Install Garmin Express and be sure it's set up and running. Then make a "List". In the List page, click the icon that is 3 dots in a circle, to the right of the List you wish to load, and select "Send To Garmin" from the popup menu. Garmin Express appears automatically, and you can then load the GPSr.

It won't work in "Edge", but it does in "Internet Explorer 11". I just now tried it.

Another option is to use Pocket Queries, which require no particular plugin. Save unzipped "GPX" Pocket Queries in the "Garmin/GPX" folder of a Garmin GPSr.

For just one cache, while viewing a cache page, click the icon with the exact text "GPX file", and save the file in "Garmin/GPX".

Edited by kunarion

Don't know who to blame, geocaching site; Garmin; Firefox; iMac.....

Garmin.

Wrong!

Blame people concerned with computer security. The old communicator plug-in used 1990's technology which is/was unsafe.

Due to the age of the API and security issues, as well as the adoption of plugin-free web technologies such as HTML5, major web browser vendors began to phase out NPAPI support in 2013.

The loss of npapi was known for many years before it was removed. Garmin could have easily produced a working plugin long before the functionality was removed. It is completely their fault. It is their software and their problem completely.

Since most modern GPS devices attach to a computer in mass storage mode (like a thumb drive), I have never understood why the geocaching web site can't use the standard download/save methods in browsers where the user just selects the target location on the Save As dialog. It seems to me that there is no need for a plug in.

Edited by alandb

Since most modern GPS devices attach to a computer in mass storage mode (like a thumb drive), I have never understood why the geocaching web site can't use the standard download/save methods in browsers where the user just selects the target location on the Save As dialog. It seems to me that there is no need for a plug in.

That's the way "GPX File" works from a cache page. Also, that's how PQs work except that you can't download them directly to a Garmin handheld, since they're ZIP files.

The main reason for "Send To My GPSr" is that the plug-in also converted the information for the specialized requirements of old GPSrs, and even placed it in the proper directories. I guess the new "Send To Garmin" also does this, but I can't test that. Many cachers still use old GPSrs, and even use the old plugin.

Edited by kunarion

The loss of npapi was known for many years before it was removed. Garmin could have easily produced a working plugin long before the functionality was removed. It is completely their fault. It is their software and their problem completely.

Garmin worked with Groundspeak to create "Send To Garmin" which is the old plugin's replacement, and also provides software for free. Basecamp, POI Loader, among other things. Download the files, "send" them with one of the utilities.

Or without any particular "Garmin" software, download a GPX file directly with the "GPX File" button. Or use the available non-Garmin software that manages entire databases.

It's easy to "send" cache files to a Garmin handheld or Nuvi without ever touching a "plug-in". I know, because I do that all the time. I only used "Send To My GPS" as a novelty. It's obsolete. If I had a GPSr that required special software to load it, I'd buy the modern software to do so.

Edited by kunarion

There are three problems. One is that regular members do not get the GPX file option or the "Send to Garmin" replacement. Second, older style Garmin units can't take a GPX file directly. Third, Groundspeak refuses to remove the "Send to GPS" button.

So why can't there be a "Save As" dialog where you select the target folder with no plugin for a .LOC file? Yes, I know it won't work on the old serial port devices, but it should work on all the modern geocaching friendly Garmin handhelds.

So why can't there be a "Save As" dialog where you select the target folder with no plugin for a .LOC file?.

There is. That's how it works.

Man, this interrogation is tough. The questions are all over the place.

Edited by kunarion

There are three problems. One is that regular members do not get the GPX file option or the "Send to Garmin" replacement. Second, older style Garmin units can't take a GPX file directly. Third, Groundspeak refuses to remove the "Send to GPS" button.

Many cachers still use the "Send To My GPS" button and its plugin. As mentioned, it specially formats files and loads older GPS units, and it provides special benefits for non-paying users that they get no other way. It's super hard to keep it functioning, so hats off to the those who keep it going. It would then be bad for GS to remove the button. Not every button is for everybody, but it does not follow that it must therefore be removed. "Send To My GPS" is handy for those who can use it, and if you can't, use one of the other options.

Even today, we can't use Edge in any case, since it accepts no plug-in, so we are already running work-arounds. Once IE 11 goes away, it will get more and more tricky to get "plug-ins" to work at all. Modern browsers are strictly limiting plug-ins.

If GS added a direct "Download" in many convenient places, that would be nice for when you want just one cache. But that's when I use the "GPX File" button. It's not all that inconvenient.

I don't know what the Groundspeak plan is for non-paying members as it applies to various buttons. But the OP is a Premium Member, and can use "Send To Garmin" and of course "GPX File". At least it works with the "Etrex 30". There may have been a leetle glitch at some point, but I'm guessing the OP can set up an easy process to load and view caches properly.

Edited by kunarion

So why can't there be a "Save As" dialog where you select the target folder with no plugin for a .LOC file? Yes, I know it won't work on the old serial port devices, but it should work on all the modern geocaching friendly Garmin handhelds.

LOC files can't be read directly by a GPS.

Many cachers still use the "Send To My GPS" button and its plugin. As mentioned, it specially formats files and loads older GPS units, and it provides special benefits for non-paying users that they get no other way. It's super hard to keep it functioning, so hats off to the those who keep it going. It would then be bad for GS to remove the button. Not every button is for everybody, but it does not follow that it must therefore be removed. "Send To My GPS" is handy for those who can use it, and if you can't, use one of the other options.

Even today, we can't use Edge in any case, since it accepts no plug-in, so we are already running work-arounds. Once IE 11 goes away, it will get more and more tricky to get "plug-ins" to work at all. Modern browsers are strictly limiting plug-ins.

If GS added a direct "Download" in many convenient places, that would be nice for when you want just one cache. But that's when I use the "GPX File" button. It's not all that inconvenient.

I don't know what the Groundspeak plan is for non-paying members as it applies to various buttons. But the OP is a Premium Member, and can use "Send To Garmin" and of course "GPX File". At least it works with the "Etrex 30". There may have been a leetle glitch at some point, but I'm guessing the OP can set up an easy process to load and view caches properly.

Yes indeed, I am a premium member, and get totallly lost once people start talking techno speak like .loc and GPX files! I'm an old lady educated before computers were in common use. So what I need is a button to press so the geocaches just magically appear on my eTrex. That is what used to happen, it was easy, just click on 'send to device'. But the so-called upgrade seems to have made it too difficult for me. The new button sends a list to my eTrex without the name, hint, or previous logs. I do have a 'workaround' which is to make a pocket query, import it to iCaching which I paid for, then load it from there to my device. But it's tedious, especially if I only want one cache. A whole pocket query for just one! Or, a step-by-step guide to how to do it.

Anyway, I'm not happy that something that used to be easy is now difficult for this technophobe pensioner and this is spoiling my hobby.

Many thanks for all your answers though! You guys are so knowledgeable.

Peedieduchess

Sounds good! I should probably treat myself to a new GPSr.

I find it quite exciting that I can find myself somewhere where I want to cache, but had not planned on it, and can pull my Oregon 7x0 out, turn it on (boot time is less than a minute), select the Geocaching applications, press 'Refresh Geocaches', and have every geocache near my current location wirelessly loaded onto the device within seconds! Any where. Any time!

Certainly, the same can be done with a smartphone and the geocaching app, but I still like to use a GPSr.

I followed the prompt to go use Explorer and added it to safe sites as suggested...then got the message that it isn't supported there either.

It seems like you're trying to run Garmin Communicator, and that won't work. Many people can still use it, but if "Send To GPS" has stopped working for you, you must try new things.

Install Garmin Express and be sure it's set up and running. Then make a "List". In the List page, click the icon that is 3 dots in a circle, to the right of the List you wish to load, and select "Send To Garmin" from the popup menu. Garmin Express appears automatically, and you can then load the GPSr.

It won't work in "Edge", but it does in "Internet Explorer 11". I just now tried it.

Another option is to use Pocket Queries, which require no particular plugin. Save unzipped "GPX" Pocket Queries in the "Garmin/GPX" folder of a Garmin GPSr.

For just one cache, while viewing a cache page, click the icon with the exact text "GPX file", and save the file in "Garmin/GPX".

I've used the new system successfully. You need Garmin Express installed but you don't need to have Garmin Express up and running it will automatically start when you send the info.

I've used the new system successfully. You need Garmin Express installed but you don't need to have Garmin Express up and running it will automatically start when you send the info.

Thanks Kunarion. I'll need to go over all of that. One of the problems is that when I make a list, and click the button for send to GOS, that does indeed work and the caches arrive to my Garmin. BUT there is only the GC code, no name, no hint, and no old logs.

Peedieduchess

Thanks Kunarion. I'll need to go over all of that. One of the problems is that when I make a list, and click the button for send to GOS, that does indeed work and the caches arrive to my Garmin. BUT there is only the GC code, no name, no hint, and no old logs.

Peedieduchess

When I use the new list-sending button "Send To Garmin", the file arrives on my Garmin Oregon 650T, but it's slightly different than my similar Pocket Query version. It's OK on my GPSr, just different. I've outlined a couple of oddities in an appropriate thread, and that thread remains so quiet, I hear crickets in there :ph34r:. Who knows what happens with other systems, OS's and configurations? Anyway, the programmers have a lotta work to do before this "Send To Garmin" button goes public. :ph34r:

But you have a nice modern GPSr that will accept any typical Pocket Query, and display caches in a "paperless" way with real cache names and all. Something is going wrong for sure.

If you want to have nice, clean cache information, stop using "Send To Garmin" for now. Delete all files in the "Garmin/GPX" folder of your Etrex (back up the folder first so you don't lose anything you might want back later), then "empty the trash" (important extra step, it's a Mac thing). Now place just one cache GPX file manually, and see if it makes a difference:

Download the GPX file from Geocaching.com. Not "Send To", use the "GPX File" button, on a cache page. For a Pocket Query, unzip the GPX files.

Plug the Garmin into the USB port of the computer.

Find the Garmin as a [DRIVE] or [storage device] and open it.

Therein, locate a file folder named something like Garmin/GPX/.

Click, drag and drop (or copy) the downloaded GPX file(s) to that [DRIVE]:Garmin/GPX/ folder.

Right-click and select Eject, unplug the Garmin.

Go Geocaching.

(From Gitchee-Gumee's excellent instructions)

If that works, place some Pocket Queries. And if those work, see if that whole process works for you. You don't need to empty your GPX folder all the time if all is well, just delete old PQs once in a while to clean things up. Once you try it a couple of times, you might not even touch the "Send To" buttons anymore. It's super easy to just copy the files, and it works most of the time.

I only use the "plug-ins" to see what they do. I much prefer sending files manually, since it's always a whole lot less work. The "plug-ins" break in surprising ways, usually when I'm in a hurry. :anicute:

If you follow the plan above and all is well, go ahead and click that "Send To GPS" button if you like. If that works, the main problem has cleared up, so all you have to do is decide which process you prefer.

Good luck!

Edited by kunarion

A number of posters in this thread would be better served asking questions in the website group at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=139 I really don't think that anyone responsible for the site reads this group.

FWIW, I've loaded probably hundreds of thousands of caches at this point via scripts that unpack the PQ, use GPSBabel to suppress duplicates, and do some special case things for the Magellans vs. the Garmins and the GPX devices vs. the Garmin protocol devices (I still keep a 12 y/o StreetPilot on my dash) and such. It's totally unusable if you're not me, but a little bit of scripting can automate this and let you not be reliant on plugin and site features that you don't control. As perspective, my script is named "toco" because this version was named when I needed to ship geocaches TO my Garmin COlorado...the first Garmin to actually understand geocaching.

Well folks, first of all thank you to all who took the trouble to respond to my cry for help.

I've spent several hours now reading all the answers here and on other sites and trying out a few things.

So I now think I've conquered the art of getting a geocache to appear on my eTrex!

So, I doubt if anyone else as dim as I am would need this, but here, step by step what I now do.

This is for eTrex 30 and IMac.

It's for loading a single or just a few caches.

Step 1. Connect eTrex to computer with the cable. Give it time to connect.

Step 2. Open 'Garmin Base Camp'and wait for it to load up. Seems to take ages of watching the wheel spinning round.

Step 3: on the left hand side of Garmin Base Camp highlight with the mouse 'My Collection'. It's important to do this first, otherwise it doesn't know where to put the cache.

Step 4: On the geocaching website, find the cache page you want. Click on 'GPX File'. A dialogue box will open. inside that, choose 'Save File' Do NOT choose 'Garmin Base Camp'. Click 'OK'.

Step 5: look now in your computer's downloads ( on my iMac, this is a downward pointing arrow at the top right of the screen). You'll want the one at the top as that's the one you just asked for.

Step 6: click on that download and it will go into 'My Collection' which you highlighted on Garmin Base Camp.

Step 7: NOW: important: identify your new cache in your 'My Collection' list by its GC code and DRAG it up to 'eTrex 30 Unit ID xxxxx).

Step 8: DONE!!! hooray! when you disconnect your eTrex from the iMAC and switch it on, your new cache should be there ready to use.

It doesn't actually take as long as may appear, I'm quite quick at it now. The slow bit is waiting for Garmin Base Camp to connect, that's when I put the kettle on for a cup of tea.

Please don't pity me too much for not understanding computer speak: I'm a pensioner who nearly gave up geocaching due to the problems, and now I can continue.

I'll try to create something similar for pocket queries next. Please share if you want for the benefit of other technophobes.

Kind regards,

Peedieduchess.

A number of posters in this thread would be better served asking questions in the website group at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=139 I really don't think that anyone responsible for the site reads this group.

FWIW, I've loaded probably hundreds of thousands of caches at this point via scripts that unpack the PQ, use GPSBabel to suppress duplicates, and do some special case things for the Magellans vs. the Garmins and the GPX devices vs. the Garmin protocol devices (I still keep a 12 y/o StreetPilot on my dash) and such. It's totally unusable if you're not me, but a little bit of scripting can automate this and let you not be reliant on plugin and site features that you don't control. As perspective, my script is named "toco" because this version was named when I needed to ship geocaches TO my Garmin COlorado...the first Garmin to actually understand geocaching.

Is your script shared in a place where we can see, download, and use it?

Well folks, first of all thank you to all who took the trouble to respond to my cry for help.

I've spent several hours now reading all the answers here and on other sites and trying out a few things.

So I now think I've conquered the art of getting a geocache to appear on my eTrex!

So, I doubt if anyone else as dim as I am would need this, but here, step by step what I now do.

This is for eTrex 30 and IMac.

It's for loading a single or just a few caches.

Step 2. Open 'Garmin Base Camp'and wait for it to load up. Seems to take ages of watching the wheel spinning round.

Step 3: on the left hand side of Garmin Base Camp highlight with the mouse 'My Collection'. It's important to do this first, otherwise it doesn't know where to put the cache.

Step 4: On the geocaching website, find the cache page you want. Click on 'GPX File'. A dialogue box will open. inside that, choose 'Save File' Do NOT choose 'Garmin Base Camp'. Click 'OK'.

Step 5: look now in your computer's downloads ( on my iMac, this is a downward pointing arrow at the top right of the screen). You'll want the one at the top as that's the one you just asked for.

Step 6: click on that download and it will go into 'My Collection' which you highlighted on Garmin Base Camp.

Step 7: NOW: important: identify your new cache in your 'My Collection' list by its GC code and DRAG it up to 'eTrex 30 Unit ID xxxxx).

Step 8: DONE!!! hooray! when you disconnect your eTrex from the iMAC and switch it on, your new cache should be there ready to use.

It doesn't actually take as long as may appear, I'm quite quick at it now. The slow bit is waiting for Garmin Base Camp to connect, that's when I put the kettle on for a cup of tea.

Please don't pity me too much for not understanding computer speak: I'm a pensioner who nearly gave up geocaching due to the problems, and now I can continue.

I'll try to create something similar for pocket queries next. Please share if you want for the benefit of other technophobes.

Kind regards,

Peedieduchess.

Is there some reason you do not want to just do steps 1, 4, 8 (modifying step 4 to save the GPX file directly to the \Garmin\GPX\ directory on your GPSr)?

Couldn't make that work. Anyway, I've found a method now that works,

Thanks,

Peedieduchess

Glad it works! As mentioned, you can load files without Basecamp at all, and save extra steps. I almost never run Basecamp unless I want a customized map or to use some of its special features.

You might set up a few Pocket Queries of places you often cache, and have them run automatically. They arrive "Zipped", so you may have to unzip them first (that's pretty easy), but otherwise, whatever you do to get one cache "GPX" file onto your GPSr, do the same thing to get the PQ's GPX files onto your GPSr.

Good luck!

Is your script shared in a place where we can see, download, and use it?

"Totally unusable if you're not me" means it's not really something I'm interested in publishing and supporting. I put a version of it here in 2009. I've updated it a little bit here and there to special case GPSes like the Magellans or a geocache-unaware Nuvi, but it's still about the same. I have a version somewhere that prompts if you want to eject the drive and does the umount / diskutil eject for the right volumes, but it's not on this computer.

There's no real magic here, but given the difficulty in this audience of describing copying files with drag and drop, I expect this to not go over real well. There's a whole bunch of hardcoded stuff here like fire-hydrants for the StreetPilot 2720 (the last great dashtop Garmin made, IMO) that aren't exactly obvious - it's not because geocaches have anything to do with fires; it's because it's the highest contrast icon on that model that provides caps so you can see clusters from a distance. The default.wpt stuff is a file of points I always want on the device, like "Home" and family members I may be visiting.

[ -d /Volumes/MAGELLAN/Geocaches ] &&  {
 GEODIR=/Volumes/MAGELLAN/Geocaches
 WPTDIR=/Volumes/MAGELLAN/Waypoints
}

[ -d /Volumes/Garmin/Garmin ] &&  {
 GEODIR=/Volumes/Garmin/Garmin/GPX
 WPTDIR=/Volumes/Garmin/Garmin/GPX
 # Nuvi 1350LMT.
 [ ! -d $GEODIR ] && {
   GEODIR=/Volumes/Garmin/GPX
   WPTDIR=/Volumes/Garmin/GPX
   SMART=" -s "
 }
}

#for OUTDIR in $OUTDIRS
#do
# [ ! -d $OUTDIR ] && continue
for i in "$@"
do
 case $i in
 *-wpts.gpx)
   DEST="$WPTDIR/$i"
   ;;
 *.gpx)
   DEST="$GEODIR/$i"
   ;;
 *.zip)
   echo "Skipping zip file $i"
   DEST=/tmp/
   ;;
 *)
   DEST="$GEODIR/${i}.gpx"
   ;;
 esac
 echo Copying $i to $DEST
 if [ -z "$SMART" ]; then
   cp "$i" "$DEST"
 else
   gpsbabel -i gpx -f  "$i" $SMART -o gpx -F "$DEST"
 fi
#done

gpsbabel -i gpsutil -f ~/default.wpt -o gpx -F $OUTDIR/default.gpx
done

sync

The similar script I use for my StreetPilot and older Garmins is:

$ cat ~/bin/gspup
:
# Strain of gpsup for uploading to Garmin USB.

#GB=~/src/gpsbabel.sp/gpsbabel
#[ -x ~/src/gpsbabel.sp/linux/gpsbabel ] && GB=~/src/gpsbabel.sp/linux/gpsbabel
GB=~/src/gpsbabel/gpsbabel

if [ `basename $0` = "gspup" ];
then
TTY=usb:
else
TTY=/dev/ttyS0
fi

for i in $@
do
CMD="$CMD -i gpx -f \"$i\""
done

CMD="$CMD -i gpsutil -f $HOME/extra.wpt"

${GB} -i garmin -f usb:-1 | while read unit junk junk model
do
THIS_TTY=usb:$unit
echo Sending to $model

case "$model" in
 	StreetPilot*)
	ICON=",deficon=Water\ Hydrant"
	SMART=-Sn
	;;
 	*60C*)
	ICON=,deficon=geocache
	SMART=-Sn
	;;
esac

${GB} -i gpsutil -f ~/default.wpt -vS -o garmin -F ${THIS_TTY}
eval  ${GB} -w -r $CMD ${SMART} -x duplicate,shortname -vS -s -o garmin${ICON} -F usb:$unit

#	eval
done

Couldn't make that work. Anyway, I've found a method now that works,

Thanks,

Peedieduchess

As others have mentioned, you should be able to load single cache files without going through Basecamp. If you feel like giving it another try, then the steps below should work and make things easier and quicker:

Step 2: On the geocaching website, find the cache page you want. Click on 'GPX File'. A dialogue box will open. inside that, choose 'Save File' and then click 'OK'.

Step 3: Find that .gpx file in your computer's downloads and move that file to the Garmin\GPX folder of your GPSr, then wait a few seconds to make sure it transfers completely.

Step 4: DONE! The new cache should show up on your eTrex after disconnecting.

If you get around to downloading PQ's, then the steps are very similar to above:

Step 2: On the geocaching website, go to your PQ page and click on "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab.

Step 3: Click on the PQ name that you want to download. A dialogue box will open. inside that, choose 'Save File' and then click 'OK'.

Step 4: Find that .gpx file in your computer's downloads unzip the file, which will result in 2 similarly named .gpx files.

Step 5: Move those 2 resulting .gpx files to the Garmin\GPX folder of your GPSr, then wait a bit to make sure they transfer completely.

Step 6: DONE! The caches from the PQ should show up on your eTrex after disconnecting.

Edited by noncentric