Approving Religious Multifarious

ripraff

Several times I have had to resubmit way marks under various denominations and be rejected before having it approved in multifarious. Each time information in fields is lost and has to be re-entered. Also it takes time and can get lost in the process. I just found a waymark I started last December which had to be rejected by Congregational and Wesleyan first. I got the rejections and resubmitted, but really...Is there no way to get people from the different denominations to confer when it is submitted as multifarious? It can be either redirected ONCE to another denomination or approved without the runaround?

Several times I have had to resubmit way marks under various denominations and be rejected before having it approved in multifarious. Each time information in fields is lost and has to be re-entered. Also it takes time and can get lost in the process. I just found a waymark I started last December which had to be rejected by Congregational and Wesleyan first. I got the rejections and resubmitted, but really...Is there no way to get people from the different denominations to confer when it is submitted as multifarious? It can be either redirected ONCE to another denomination or approved without the runaround?

Sorry, no, there is no other way.

Any improvement of this procedure would involve a change in the back-end code, and this is not going to happen.

Ripraff, If you are referring to your most recent submission it was NOT declined in the Religious Buildings Multifarious category.

Your referenced submission was declined in the Wesleyan category, however as a member of the Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites I found no record of your submission in the past activity.

There were some other situations where your submissions were declined, however they were also accepted in the suggested category.

Currently there are 21 Religious Buildings categories with 96 leaders and officers, and though it would be ideal if all leaders and officers confer, it is not possible.

The Religious Buildings Multifarious category was created with the sole purpose to provide a category for those places of worship that could not be submitted in any other religious building category.

All the RBM officers are very conscientious and put forth time and effort in researching the submissions that maybe questionable. It is the responsibility of all the officers to assure that a submission does meet all the guidelines. The category does have its challenges, however all the officers review each submission based on its own merits and without bias.

Though the re-submission process with regards to the loss of information: all categories have different data fields and requirements that need to be met.

It just goes with the territory.

Edited by BK-Hunters

Church of Christ in Christian Union - Johnson City, NY was denied from the Multifarious, it was then denied by the Wesleyan with a comment that it didn't belong in the Congregational either. It has been resubmitted in the Multifarious. It was originally submitted December 2.

Church of Christ in Christian Union - Johnson City, NY was denied from the Multifarious, it was then denied by the Wesleyan with a comment that it didn't belong in the Congregational either. It has been resubmitted in the Multifarious. It was originally submitted December 2.

I stand corrected: Church of Christ in Christian Union - Johnson City, NY. 12/2/2016 5:37:00 AM Declined back on page 4.

I did read the decline message in the Wesleyan with reference to the Congregational category, however I sent you an email explaining what corrections need to be made before it will be approved. I have not as of yet received a new submission.

Edited by BK-Hunters

ripraff, if you do not have access to your husband's email then I could always decline it with a copy of the email I sent you.

I wanted to give you the opportunity to edit rather than decline it.

However under your circumstances about your husband's email account, you will not see the email I sent you or a decline notice.

Now what?

I complained to him and got a copy. I didn't think removing the references was good because they can so easily be seen from the sign and the Facebook and the reviewers would probably see them anyway. So I added comments and faced it directly. I did beef up the description up front and moved the denomination stuff to the end.

I still don't know how the reviewers determined that Bridgewater was Baptist, I couldn't find anything that said so even after looking. I agree that it is, just don't know how to prove it.

This exercise has been interesting. Methodists include some of their offshoots that don't claim to be Methodists. Baptists try to hide the fact that they are Baptist and use words like Community Church. Some sects claim to be Catholic, but the church doesn't recognize them. The Congregationalists renamed themselves. There seem to be a lot of churches running away from the named brands trying to present themselves as some form of contemporary worship with bands and large auditoriums. One Presbyterian even had two services, one for contemporary and one for traditional. I found the original hippy church from the "Jesus movement" that may have been the start of the big bands.

Oh yes, there seem to be a lot of ministers that go to minister factories and then put up a shingle. They seem to take over older churches when the original church sells. It is hard to tell if they are actually a named brand or not, most of them don't seem to be, but some turn out to be Baptist.

Then there are the ethnic churches that serve a particular community. Sometimes the country origin is more dominant then the denomination.

I also found that the buildings put up for college students also are accepted. I didn't even think of those at first. They do have worship services.

ripraff, your submission is now approved. I did add a reviewer note at the bottom of the page for clarification. Please do not remove it from the long description as this helps the RBM officers and others that are submitting to the category to understand why a particular waymark was approved.

I find your comments about the different denominations and the difficulty in determine where they need to be submitted.

All officers in the RBM face this same dilemma with each questionable submission.

I suppose instead of changing categories I could copy over the information into a new waymark. That way I could just copy the reject note and resubmit the old without losing the information. I could also put out multiple way marks at the same time. It would be interesting to see how many categories they would be accepted in. It does seem like the churches are being deliberately vague.

Unfortunately the smaller churches often do not have much of a web presence, not even Facebook. Why don't they use the Facebook account, it is free? Maybe their congregation is too old or poor to be online.

The mainline churches at least have a page given to the by the denomination, say Methodists. These are often just the basic where and when and the ministers name. Again it is Facebook to the rescue.

I do enjoy some of the Catholic webpages. They have history and and lots of nice photos. They have links to the organization, although all in this area are Syracuse. That is a give away to the splinter groups and the Eastern Orthodox, they have different links. The Eastern rite Roman Catholic can be tricky, they look like they could be Orthodox or Catholic. The links help.

Pentacostal go into Multifarious. Usually if they say Pentecostal it is automatically accepted in Multifarious. Pictures would be nice!

I have some nice photos of old country Churches, but they are not a Waymarking interest of mine. :) Truthfully, I had trouble getting some approved and gave up on the idea. :( I do enjoy Waymarking cornerstones on old Churches.

Pentacostal go into Multifarious. Usually if they say Pentecostal it is automatically accepted in Multifarious. Pictures would be nice!

I have some nice photos of old country Churches, but they are not a Waymarking interest of mine. :) Truthfully, I had trouble getting some approved and gave up on the idea. :( I do enjoy Waymarking cornerstones on old Churches.

ripraff that is a very broad assumption, there are variables such as PAOC: Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada

Not all Pentecostal churches will be automatically approved. Each and every submission is carefully reviewed by an officer of the RBM and evaluated on its own merits. I can assure you we do not automatically approve any submission until it is determined that all requirements are met.

Perseverance and trying various categories can sometime work. But like salesmen you have to be able to tolerate rejection. Why does it always seem so personal? Usually it doesn't phase me, BUT sometimes it does. One case I really went crazy, I don't know why. It was unexpected and I didn't anticipate a problem.

ripraff that is a very broad assumption, there are variables such as PAOC: Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada

Not all Pentecostal churches will be automatically approved. Each and every submission is carefully reviewed by an officer of the RBM and evaluated on its own merits. I can assure you we do not automatically approve any submission until it is determined that all requirements are met.

Why is it disrespect? Most groups welcome the extra advertisement. Usually we just repeat the information they already post. I have talked to minsters who come out to say hello when they see me taking photos. Probably more of them then any other group. I have been invited into services. I give them a quick explanation of Waymarking.

If they are having services you can sometime hear the music.

If they talk to you you can get interesting information.

I have been known to get into Philosophical discussions with ministers, but not any that I met Waymarking. I did have a running discussion with the minister at the Seventh Day Adventist Church that I work at during elections. I miss him since he was transferred to another church.

Why is it disrespect? Most groups welcome the extra advertisement. Usually we just repeat the information they already post. I have talked to minsters who come out to say hello when they see me taking photos. Probably more of them then any other group. I have been invited into services. I give them a quick explanation of Waymarking.

If they are having services you can sometime hear the music.

Things may differ here in the hills and hollers of SW Virginia and Eastern Kentucky, and things here are on an "ask first" basis. :ph34r:

If I'm not one of them, and that makes me an outsider taking pictures and posting it on the internet, well you get the picture. :laughing:

Anyway, I'm on my way to Harlan County to hunt a Benchmark that has not been recovered near KY's highest point. :D

Interesting difference on private/public. I don't post anything on private property for the most part. Houses on the Historic Register have to be a business usually or an organization for me to want to post.

Things that are public as in a business or organization or government feel like fair game. It did take me awhile to post police. Churches always seemed public to me. Most are open and enjoy attention, they are usually in a recruiting mode. I could see how some groups might not want it though.

I went into a church that was by a graveyard with my ancestors. You could tell they were exciting about a new recruit. I had to tell them I was only visiting relatives out back. I was interested in the insides though. Maybe if it were less than 6 hours away...

Churches always seemed public to me. Most are open and enjoy attention, they are usually in a recruiting mode. I could see how some groups might not want it though.

Most are, like the mega Church that I am a member of. Somewhere I got side tracked with Snake Handling Churches, and I've always known them to be quite "clanish" for lack of a better word. I give them their privacy. :)