Geocoin without real owner

troefboer

Hi,

I retrieved a coin with the mission: "To travel around the world"

Next month I'm going to China for business so it did send an email to the owner that I could drop the coin in a cache there. When I didn't receive an answer I looked to the owners profile to find out that his last logged cache was in april 2014. And his last visit to the site was one day after I send him te mail.

So, this person (not a premium member) has clearly lost his interest in geocaching.What to do with the geocoin now. Drop him in a cache or take him out of the game?

I will drop him in a cache but would like to hear the opinions of others.

Hi,

Next month I'm going to China for business so it did send an email to the owner that I could drop the coin in a cache there. When I didn't receive an answer I looked to the owners profile to find out that his last logged cache was in april 2014. And his last visit to the site was one day after I send him te mail.

So, this person (not a premium member) has clearly lost his interest in geocaching.What to do with the geocoin now. Drop him in a cache or take him out of the game?

You should probably just drop it in a cache. It is still that persons property

Hi,

The owner gets notices of coin logs without visiting the site.

Place it into a cache and log it unless the goal on the coin's page is for someone to keep it. If you have developed a super amazing unilateral reason to take and keep Geocoins, be sure you clearly state your intentions, in the log.

Edited by kunarion
So, this person (not a premium member) has clearly lost his interest in geocaching.

We know a few people who no longer geocache, but check their trackables, and respond to their many caches still in play only when there's an issue.

We also know many that life simply got in the way of this odd hobby, and are now back again, some years later.

Hobbies often take a back seat to family, illness, or work responsibilities.

They still own it, move it along. :)

You're making a lot of assumptions concerning the owner's interest in his coin.

I have not logged a cache find in many years but I still delete virtual discoveries and read all logs from existing caches and travelers that might still be out there. And coins that disappear without a trace after being picked up by someone are re-titled STOLEN.

Please don't worry so much what other people may or may not be intending to do with their property and just do what is yours to do... move it along. Thank you.

... When I didn't receive an answer I looked to the owners profile to find out that his last logged cache was in april 2014. And his last visit to the site was one day after I send him te mail.

So, this person (not a premium member) has clearly lost his interest in geocaching.

Of the two coins shown in your possession, though it may seem strange that both TOs haven't cached since '14, both have visited the site this month.

- Possibly to keep an eye on their trackables. :)

One TO has lost all his similar coins, but the one you're currently holding.

- I'd think that would be worth checking on time-to-time...

The other has over 300 trackables !

So clearly neither has lost interest. :)

With the addition of various APP's and devices for Groundspeak, it is possible that cachers can visit geocaching without ever leaving a footprint on their profile.

As a cache owner with over 300 hides, I see logged caches frequently that seem to call for a note on my part and when I go to the cacher's page, it says that they haven't logged in for months, but yet have logged finds on several of my caches. 'Last visited' is not a good indicator anymore.

All of the above comments by others are also valid. Follow the rules - is the best policy.

Thank you for all your replies. As said I will put them in a geocache soon.By the way coincidentally both geocoins I picked up; were from users that hadn't logged since 2014. But I only wrote an email to the German coin because of its mission.

2014-15 is the time when more and more cachers were switching to cell phone apps, etc, that don't show logging into GC .com ....

Wise choice on continuing the travel. :)

Edited by nevadanick

Definitely keep it moving as others have said. We found one which belonged to someone who had passed, yet its movement emails kept them alive for their surviving partner who loved to read of its travels.

Totally agree!!! Let's keep them alive by passing their coins to other people that will enjoy Geocahcing as much as that person did.