Garmin ETrex 35 touch: 250.000 preloaded caches?

I'm considering buying a Garmin ETrex 35 touch, but in spite of having researched the internet quite extensively, I cannot figure out what the deal is with these 250.000 preloaded caches. Preloaded from where? And when? And are they being updated if and when a cache goes offline or a new one comes along, or will I be stuck with 250.000 outdated caches? And how much info comes along with these preloads? Does it only give you a location, or a description/hint/logs as well?

Does the GPS have automatic access to all caches on Geocaching.com? Or do I have to upload caches before I set off, like I do now? If this is the case, is there a type of GPS that DOES have full access to Geocaching.com and does not necesitate manual uploads?

I appreciate your input!

They are loaded on at some point in the factory/store and some will be out of date by the time they hit the shelf in the store. There is no way that the 35 can automatically update them, you would have to do it yourself.

All in all it's a bit of a gimmick, the first thing I would do if I bought this would be to delete all the caches on it and upload my own selection.

...is there a type of GPS that DOES have full access to Geocaching.com and does not necesitate manual uploads?

Yes, a smartphone with a geocaching app.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Thank you, Marty; that clarifies things somewhat, although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for.

Yes, I am aware of smart phone technology, thank you. :P

But surely, apart from smartphones, a GPS receiver exists that gives me a direct link to live data? How hard can it be?

Edited by kirian_rat