Feature Request: Add retrieving drafts to API

I usually cache with my GPSr (Garmin Oregon) and I usually use the Field Notes feature there to record my finds in the field. I publish my logs using GSAK and it is easy to retrieve my Field Notes from my GPSr using the Publish Logs feature and using Fetch from the GPSr Field Notes.

However, if I am out doing some impromptu caching and/or don't have my GPSr with me, I will use the Geocaching® App on my smart phone. I don't like to publish my found logs directly to geocaching.com from the phone, as I like to use the GSAK Publish Logs feature and embellish the logs prior to publishing (and to keep my GSAK database up-to-date). So, I have begun using the new Drafts feature (formerly Field Notes) from the Geocaching® app.

However, Drafts are not available to the API, so GSAK cannot download them from my account easily, and I have to manually tag and record each one and cut/paste the info from the drafts on my geocaching.com account.

My request is that the Drafts be made available via the API, so GSAK could easily retrieve them. That would make it a lot easier, as now I have to enter in each cache GC code manually in GSAK Publish Logs.

Thank you for your consideration.

Gerry (aka GManSan)

On 5/4/2017 at 11:53 PM, SpiritGuide said:

Groundspeak stopped development and enhancements to the API many years ago... also stopped new developers from receiving licenses to use it. It's strictly in a maintenance mode now.

Isn't the same API used by the official smartphone app, as well as Cachly, GSAK, etc.?

Regards,
Richard

I asked these questions via email, and got the following replies from HQ:

1. Does the official app use the same API as third party tools such as GSAK?

For *some* data, our app communicates with backend systems using the same API used by third parties.

2. Does the API allow access to Drafts (i.e. Field Notes), specifically read access?

No. However, some partners have a version of Drafts that only save to the mobile device.

Followed this up with:

3. Any plans to change the API to allow read access to Drafts?

We have no plans to do so.

Pity.

1 hour ago, HHL said:

Yes, but actually not all apps do it. Some are just bigmouths. ?

Hans

Believe it or not, it doesn't even make sense to do it in all apps...

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and it was geocaching.com that made this possible in the latest API.
The feature request was:

...and that was done by Groundspeak.

Sorry that I stepped on your toes, the macro is still awesome.

Edited by thomfre
47 minutes ago, thomfre said:
55 minutes ago, HHL said:

Yes, but actually not all apps do it. Some are just bigmouths. ?

Hans

Believe it or not, it doesn't even make sense to do it in all apps...

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and it was geocaching.com that made this possible in the latest API.

Groundspeak made it a possibility.  Hans made it reality!  :)

1 hour ago, thomfre said:

The feature request was:

...and that was done by Groundspeak.

Fair enough - I've been jumping around a few forum posts (Geocaching and GSAK) that were discussing this use case, and I missed the fact that this was actually the 'Feature Request' that led to the API change.  So, yes full credit to Groundspeak for following through.

13 minutes ago, cghove said:

See 9 posts up in this tread

Ah, I see.  I don't think I'd been back to this thread to see the post about thomfre's script until today.  Had I seen it earlier, I'm sure I would have tried it out.  To be honest, I'm pretty annoyed with myself - looks like it would have made my logging easier for the past year and a bit.

So, absolutely no disrespect to thomfre!

However, surely even thomfre will agree that the combination of the API change and the GSAK macro 'trumps' his script in terms of usability? ;-)

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

However, surely even thomfre will agree that the combination of the API change and the GSAK macro 'trumps' his script in terms of usability? ;-)

Of course I agree! I always hoped my script was temporary, and I'm glad it turned out to be so.

I use GSAK a lot myself (but I don't use drafts), so I welcome all improvements.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1